hulika

Author Topic: Equipment for podcasting  (Read 3676 times)

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Equipment for podcasting
« on: April 05, 2006, 01:31:07 PM »
I've been mulling over the idea of producing a podcast and am wondering what hardware I can get to put up a mobile laptop based studio for doing field recording of interviews. Possibly a small mixer, some mics - and what software would you recommend for editing and mixing (been a while since I played with these). Any recommendations for this setup would be appreciated!

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Equipment for podcasting
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 01:52:39 PM »
Samson has this USB condenser mic that Audiophile sells for 7K++. Plug into a computer and record away.  Di masyado rave ang reviews, pero it's supposed to be "enough" for podcasting.
:-)
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Equipment for podcasting
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 02:55:29 PM »
Please read the SAMSON Studio Mic thread.

List price is P3,870 only.

inigo must be talking about another brand of USB mic.  :roll:
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Equipment for podcasting
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 03:04:14 PM »
Here's an e-mail I received from Samson Technologies...

Dear Associates,

I am writing regarding a new form of communication that could be one of the best sales opportunities in Samson's history. It revolves around the phenomena called "podcasting."

What is a podcast?

In the simplest sense, a podcast is an audio presentation meant to be downloaded from a computer onto a portable listening device, such as an MP3 player, like an Apple iPod...hence the name.

<<snip>>

One of the best articles I've read on why "every business should be podcasting" can be found on the following link:

http://www.americanchronicle.com/art...articleID=1475

Before reading this communication any further, please click on the link above.

Here's the best part!

There is a Samson dealer in the Northwest named "Broadcast Supply Worldwide" who immediately envisioned the need to put electronic podcasting "product bundles" together on their website and in their catalog. This has helped individuals and businesses gain a clearer understanding of what products are necessary in order to create a podcast. To our delight, their first podcasting product bundle includes one of Samson's latest entries to start shipping; the CO1U studio condenser microphone.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/C01U

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...&amp;brandID=2

You can also take a look at these bundles at http://www.bswusa.com/ by clicking on the "Starting a Podcast?" screen on the left side of their homepage.

Further, in our research, we came across a statistic that is nearly impossible to believe. Twenty-nine percent of all iPod AND MP3 users have already downloaded a podcast! More than six million people!

There is something else we stumbled across in our research. The overwhelmingly majority of KNOWLEDGEABLE retailers, who offer all of the necessary products to record a podcast, do not know what podcasting is. And when I say "knowledgeable," I mean it.

In all honesty, podcasting has caught Samson by surprise. We clearly realized the need for a high-quality studio condenser microphone with a built-in USB connector for musicians and the like. But during the development of the CO1U, we never imagined this "train " that was heading straight towards us called podcasting.

I think you understand what we're getting at. We are in the incredibly exciting position of introducing a new product that is the most simple, eloquent solution for a new application that will be huge.

Now, the tough part is ahead. It's letting everyone we do business with know we have the perfect product for an unusually fast-growing, brand new application.

You will be hearing more from us in the weeks ahead. We'd also love to hear back from you on any ideas you have regarding this opportunity.

That's all for now. I greatly appreciate your taking the time to read this lengthy communication.

Let the podcasting begin!

Sincerely,

Scott Goodman
President
Samson Technologies Corp.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Equipment for podcasting
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 03:07:14 PM »
Here's another one...

C01U News Update:

By now, you probably have a feeling as to how big the C01U USB mic could be. The buzz on this product is incredible.

Here are two of the most recent Web reviews on the mic:

"Samson C01U: The Ultimate Podcasting Mic?" This is by noted Mac guru Derrick Story at the O'Reilly.com, a premier Web destination for Mac users:

http://macdevcenter.com/pub/wlg/7797

Another review came in just today from Macintouch.com, another big Mac destination Website. Ric Ford, the reviewer concluded by saying this:

"The C01U seems ideal for podcasters, and it's a very professional, useful and flexible answer for many other Mac recording tasks at a price low enough to make it a certified bargain."

http://www.macintouch.com/samsonc01u.html

If you have time to check out a great Podcast featuring Roger McGuinn (Byrds) praising the C01U, click on this:

http://thisweekintech.com/21

Thanks for taking a moment to check out these links,

Best regards,

Samson Technologies

Offline ksuayan

• Philmusicus Noobitus

Offline jplacson

Equipment for podcasting
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 02:25:43 PM »
The Samson C01U is a pretty good product for the price.. it can't compete against studio mics that cost more of course... but understand that this isn't just a mic... this is a large side condenser, preamp, DSP, and USB interface... all in one small package... all for under $80 (Available at Audiophile!  And no, I don't work for Audiophile or affiliated with them in any way... wish I was though... hahaha)

It's better than the built in mic of your laptop, has provisions for a spider mount.. and I'd consider it to be one of the better solutions for recording while on the move... or even a great 'emergency' solution (ie: in case of brown out.. hahahaha)

It's good enough to record acoustic/vocal drafts/ideas (and makes it sound decent) from anywhere... just plug it into your USB.

**It's not a wonder mic though... understand that it gives good performance at its price point.  It's not magic.  It's just a convenient solution (instead of bringing your budget mic, preamp, and USB interface)... less things to dump in your bag if all you want is "scratch pad" recording on the go.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Equipment for podcasting
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 12:54:58 PM »
The Samson is starting to sound intriguing. Tarkuz, maybe Audiophile would be interested in sponsoring a PhilMusic podcast by ex-dealing this baby? :-) Or a loaner to try it out.

I would need a couple of these plugged into my laptop's USB ports to do field interviews though.

My idea is to do most interviews by remote using Skype, however a lot of local musicians are also tech challenged and may need an old fashioned interview. So off I go with the laptop to the venue to record them.

And what would I use as a mixer for two mics? Does the Samson come with a software mixer?

Lastly, should I choose to use a conventional mic, what would I need to plug it into the laptop? Would a simple adapter plugged into the "mic" port do or do I need that preamp thingy. I have a "pang pro" Sennheiser mic lying around here. Can't recall the model number but it's the "GaryV" mic I got for free from Yupangco for judging one of their Yamaha band contests.

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: check this out: yummy!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 12:58:31 PM »
Quote from: ksuayan
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-main.html

-kyo-

Looks intriguing Kyo, but it seems pretty pricey considering it doesn't even have its own built in hard drive and is reliant on CF cards for storage...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Equipment for podcasting
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 06:32:45 AM »
a Philmusic podcast would be great - I wish I could take part in that:)
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Equipment for podcasting
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 09:04:58 PM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
a Philmusic podcast would be great - I wish I could take part in that:)

Abyss where are you based? If you're abroad, I'd like to do tests for recording Skype sessions and need help with that. I'd like to do overseas pinoy artists like Lokomotiv, Introvoys, etc and want to use Skype for this.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Equipment for podcasting
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 10:09:54 PM »
I am based in the US but I think Lokomotiv works out of SF while Introvoys works out of LA (I think). Skype is pretty popular here so I can see how those would work in the setting of a Podcast.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Equipment for podcasting
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 09:44:45 AM »
Well if I can get everyone on Skype, then it wouldn't mater if the interview subjects were in Helsinki or Cubao, as long as they had a good broadband connection :) I'll still need a more traditional setup for in person interviews or small unplugged performances though.