hulika

Author Topic: Giving new life to your axe (mods for your humble Epi LP)  (Read 36858 times)

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Giving new life to your axe (mods for your humble Epi LP)
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2010, 02:39:55 PM »

aluminum din ba yung posts? if not, then walang difference sa stock posts. might as well keep it as it is. hassle pa yung if the original whole left my the stock anchors are bigger. you have to fill in pa. if smaller naman, you have to route pa. hassle!

i dont think it would make a noticeable difference if the post were aluminum or not. the stoptail is a different story though.

then again, you can always taper that extra length on the screws with a little 'lagari' action. :D

anyways i have a question. how would you know if US or metric ung replacement na kinuha mo, ung magfifit sa measurements ng guitara mo? was it because it was MIC so it has the metric as opposed to had it been US made, it utilized US specd hardware?

i might need new poles so i wanna change the whole stop tail assembly altogether with an aluminum set. thanks.
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline tsunamic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2010, 06:34:21 PM »
astig talaga to sir. ang ganda. :)

Offline blackmanika

• Veteran Member
« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2010, 07:11:50 PM »
cool thread... cant wait for ze result... i remember when i also upgraded my stock epi lp custom's hardware, pots, & pups too last year...

from this:

to this:

oh i can taste the butter!... goodluck!... :wink:
ADD Us Up: http://www.facebook.com/BLACKMANIKA
drifting-
lost-

Offline Prinny Unknown

« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2010, 07:19:56 PM »
sir saan niyo po naibili ung mga parts para sa modification?

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2010, 09:36:26 PM »

aluminum din ba yung posts? if not, then walang difference sa stock posts. might as well keep it as it is. hassle pa yung if the original whole left my the stock anchors are bigger. you have to fill in pa. if smaller naman, you have to route pa. hassle!

i dont think it would make a noticeable difference if the post were aluminum or not. the stoptail is a different story though.

then again, you can always taper that extra length on the screws with a little 'lagari' action. :D

anyways i have a question. how would you know if US or metric ung replacement na kinuha mo, ung magfifit sa measurements ng guitara mo? was it because it was MIC so it has the metric as opposed to had it been US made, it utilized US specd hardware?

i might need new poles so i wanna change the whole stop tail assembly altogether with an aluminum set. thanks.

i want to butt in.. sorry, i can't help it..

usually mga MIK at MIC use metric measurements and those MIA ones have a US spec'd or standard measure.. about the parts, nakalagay dapat kung ano yung measurement nila.. they say if it's Standard or Metric.. pag standard, mga pang US na replacements yun, then pag Metric, you get the idea..  :-)

pag hindi nakasulat kung metric or standard, medyo magduda ka na muna.. pero maybe you'll get some hints sa details niya kung standard or metric.. kunwari nasa description na "for import sized etc etc..", then most likely, metric yun.. something like that..

so ayun.. research din talaga mabuti lalo na kung oorderin pa abroad, mahirap magkamali..

Offline nalu

« Reply #155 on: July 04, 2010, 10:11:04 AM »

@grasyaps:
There was actually no problem with fitting the GOTOH TAILPIECE STUDS. It fits perfectly in the STOCK ANCHORS/BUSHINGS for the tailpiece. What Rmansh I think was referring to was the problem I had where the GOTOH BRIDGE STUD/POST can not be tightened all the way down the STOCK ANCHOR/BUSHING due to an offset in the post thread, so I had to use the STOCK BRIDGE STUD/POST with the STOCK ANCHOR/BUSHINGS.

Right now the only stock hardware left on the body of the guitar were the BRIDGE STUD/POST AND BUSHING and the TAILPIECE ANCHOR/BUSHING. For me, this is just fine. The important thing was replacing the bridge and the the tailpiece with Gotoh parts. The stock bridge studs fits perfectly with the Gotoh Bridge anyway so I'm not killing the coupling of vibrations from the bridge to the body by using the stock bridge studs.

I'm not sure for other brands or guitars but between a Gibson and Epiphone Les Pauls here's what I know.

For the bridge: saddle radius, string spacing, post spacing are the same.
  Gibson LP - Standard posts (also referred to as small posts), M4 x 7 threads.
  Epiphone LP - Studs with bushing (also referred to as large posts with anchor), M8 x 1.25 thread.

So if you're buying a replacement bridge for an Epiphone for example, you want one with large posts or studs and M8 (metric) thread.

For the tailpiece: radius, string spacing, post spacing are the same.
  Gibson LP - USA Thread or 5/16"-24 thread
  Epiphone LP - M8 x 1.25 thread

Hope this helps...

Offline nalu

« Reply #156 on: July 04, 2010, 03:40:54 PM »
cool thread... cant wait for ze result... i remember when i also upgraded my stock epi lp custom's hardware, pots, & pups too last year...

from this:

to this:

oh i can taste the butter!... goodluck!... :wink:

@blackmanika:
wow! nice custom there. mind sharing the mods that you did?

Offline nalu

« Reply #157 on: July 04, 2010, 03:43:08 PM »
sir saan niyo po naibili ung mga parts para sa modification?

i ordered them from bossingBoss, you can see his monthly ordering/shipment in the classified.

Offline blackmanika

• Veteran Member
« Reply #158 on: July 04, 2010, 09:31:23 PM »
@blackmanika:
wow! nice custom there. mind sharing the mods that you did?

just the hardware and pups... nothing too special...  :-D the usual emg81/85, 25k pots, tom bridge, saddle, tuners all from gold to black... i also changed the knobs before to gold, but returned the stock black para all black finish...

all stock:

pups:

tuners:

gold knobs (but later changed to black again)

overall finish:

i'll take a pic once i installed my black DR strings for total blackness...  :-) goodluck with the proj man, the step by step pics are very neat!... really cool thread!... :wink:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 09:36:39 PM by blackmanika »
drifting-
lost-

Offline nalu

« Reply #159 on: July 04, 2010, 11:59:57 PM »
just the hardware and pups... nothing too special...  :-D the usual emg81/85, 25k pots, tom bridge, saddle, tuners all from gold to black... i also changed the knobs before to gold, but returned the stock black para all black finish...

overall finish:

i'll take a pic once i installed my black DR strings for total blackness...  :-) goodluck with the proj man, the step by step pics are very neat!... really cool thread!... :wink:

thanks man!
you must really like black. i must say with all the mods that you did it turned from a tuxedo LP to a custom LP with an attitude. cheers!

Offline blackmanika

• Veteran Member
« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2010, 03:47:48 PM »
thanks man!
you must really like black. i must say with all the mods that you did it turned from a tuxedo LP to a custom LP with an attitude. cheers!

appreciate man... yeah :evil:!...

now, we're all psyched to see your axe... goodluck!... :wink:
drifting-
lost-

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2010, 06:49:13 PM »
@blackmanika

your axe looks like prophecy ex.  :evil:
wicked
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline badbach66

« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2010, 07:09:14 PM »
Will some of these mods work for an Epi flying v?  :-D
References: masterchoxter, turigiliano, Gibson78, akellefusion, jetleebog, Drew_Asuncion, jonathan_dead, chester_uy, pao2pao16, obetski, deadlifted, 2joeross, Iommifan, chromeknive, etc...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=361241

Offline BlackDiamond

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2010, 08:31:14 PM »
From this...

to this...

I upgraded the pickups to a Seymour Dancan '59 in the neck position and a Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge. For that ESP Eclipse look, I removed the pickguard and the toggle switch ring then changed the cream pickup rings to black. (I also changed the cream plastic plates at the back of the guitar to black of course!  :-D).

to finally this...

I've attached a black toggle switch ring and a black pickguard for that LP custom look. I've always wanted an LP custom but the I don't like the block inlays, so this is definitely what I'm looking for!  :-)

She's my one and only 6 string!  8-)
This forumite is a different person:
http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?action=profile;u=43394
I'm not him! HMMP!

Offline blackmanika

• Veteran Member
« Reply #164 on: July 06, 2010, 08:57:35 PM »
@blackmanika

your axe looks like prophecy ex.  :evil:
wicked

thanks rmansh :wink:... yeah, i figure instead of gassing for the p-ex, might as well be resourceful, right?... ehehe...  :-D
drifting-
lost-

Offline Mike.B.

« Reply #165 on: July 06, 2010, 09:52:04 PM »
I've always wanted an LP custom but the I don't like the block inlays, so this is definitely what I'm looking for!  :-)

there is the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Classic. It's basically a Les Paul custom slash the block inlays and gold pickup covers. so you've got trapezoidal inlays, the open coil humbuckers with gold pole pieces, and all the goodies that come along with an LP custom. multiple bindings. etc :D
oh and I think it doesn't have grover kidneystones. i think it has the gold keystone tuners :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:42:33 AM by Mike.B. »

Bare bones board: Mooer Baby Tuner -> CBM-95 -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Mooer Ana Echo (from ron_rd7) -> Mooer Micro Looper