hulika

Author Topic: 1010lt questions  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Blueberri

1010lt questions
« on: June 21, 2006, 09:23:18 AM »
i didnt want to hijack choiskee333s delta 1010lt thread, so made this for a few questions...

its got 8 analog inputs right? 2 xlrs (selectable for mic or line signal), and 6 rca line level inputs...so I'll need a pre-amp to use the 6 line inputs.

so my questions are, 1: could i use the inserts on my behringer mixer (its post pre, pre fader), using a "jumpered" stereo plug to get line level signals to feed the 1010lts 6 line level inputs? i wouldn't have to control levels anyway (except to prevent clipping. Which i can do with the gain knob or the 1010lts settings, i think the inserts give out line level signals anyway so it shouldnt be too far off). final level setting woule be set sa recording software na (in using sonar 4 prod. ed.).

2: to use the 2 xlr inputs with signal coming from the behringer inserts, would i need a DI box...or can i get a way with using a simple adapter plug (gagawa na lang ako ng Xlr to stereo PL)

3: recording at 24/96, how many tracks can a SATA 7200rpm drive take at one time?...kaya ba nya yung 8 tracks coming from the 1010lt and kaya pa ba mag playback?? should i consider RAIDing? ayoko sana just to keep things simple...

thanks!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: 1010lt questions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 11:23:55 AM »
Quote from: Blueberri
so my questions are, 1: could i use the inserts on my behringer mixer (its post pre, pre fader), using a "jumpered" stereo plug to get line level signals to feed the 1010lts 6 line level inputs? i wouldn't have to control levels anyway (except to prevent clipping. Which i can do with the gain knob or the 1010lts settings, i think the inserts give out line level signals anyway so it shouldnt be too far off). final level setting woule be set sa recording software na (in using sonar 4 prod. ed.).

2: to use the 2 xlr inputs with signal coming from the behringer inserts, would i need a DI box...or can i get a way with using a simple adapter plug (gagawa na lang ako ng Xlr to stereo PL)

The mixer's inserts are usually meant to feed an external fx box such as when you want to patch a compressor into the signal chain. Hence, it works in a send/return method similar to the aux send. Without the return leg in the insert, you will be breaking the signal chain thru the channel. IMO, it's much better to use direct outs on the channel if the mixer offers it. Better yet, if the mixer offers multiple busses, why not tap off those instead? (What model mixer are you using anyway?) By using the direct outs or group outs, you wouldn't need any fancy y-cables anyway.

For #2, why not connect them to the mixer's main outs, which are usually XLR? Most multiple bus mixers allow you to send any specific channel to the stereo outs anyway.

3: recording at 24/96, how many tracks can a SATA 7200rpm drive take at one time?...kaya ba nya yung 8 tracks coming from the 1010lt and kaya pa ba mag playback?? should i consider RAIDing? ayoko sana just to keep things simple...

thanks!!

Does the 1010LT allow you to record 8 channels at 24/96? Most audio interfaces halve their I/O going to 96 khz operation; full I/O is usually obtained at 44/48 khz operation. Unless you will be recording an acoustic/orchestral performance (with a very wide dynamic range), I don't see the need to record at 96 khz. IMO it's much better to record at 24/44.1 especially if the end result will be burned to redbook audio specs.

Audio does not place that high a strain on the HD system so raiding is not necessary. Besides, you lose one drive in a RAID 0 setup, you lose everything. Just remember to defragment before a major recording; fragmented data is one of the leading causes of low HD throughput.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Blueberri

1010lt questions
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 12:37:24 PM »
eurorack 2004A nga pala mixer ko...

it doesnt have multiple busses, just a pair of Alt outs..for a total of 4 independent outs...if i use the efx sends, up to 6 siguro kaya...pero i want to reserve the main and Alt out for other purposes, monitoring and such...if i "jumper" the send tip and return ring, ill be able to send a signal and still have the signal routed to the mixer right? anyway I'll be trying this out later...i hope it works

For #2, why not connect them to the mixer's main outs, which are usually XLR? Most multiple bus mixers allow you to send any specific channel to the stereo outs anyway.

maybe that would be the simplest way to do it..anyway i can monitor through the Alt outs...

Audio does not place that high a strain on the HD system so raiding is not necessary. Besides, you lose one drive in a RAID 0 setup, you lose everything. Just remember to defragment before a major recording; fragmented data is one of the leading causes of low HD throughput.

the very reason i didnt want to get into raid...

Thanks KitC!

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
1010lt questions
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 01:46:22 PM »
i have the same mixer (loses all credibility) and i think you can do what you want by plugging the cables halfway in the insert jack, no need for "jumpering" i havent tried it myself but i suggested it in another forum and no one shouted at me or anything....
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
1010lt questions
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 02:34:44 PM »
Quote from: chuck sabbath
i have the same mixer (loses all credibility) and i think you can do what you want by plugging the cables halfway in the insert jack, no need for "jumpering" i havent tried it myself but i suggested it in another forum and no one shouted at me or anything....

I know the Mackies allow you to do that halfway insert thing because of the way they wire their inserts. Not sure about Behri's though.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Blueberri

1010lt questions
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 05:49:48 PM »
thanks chuck! will try it out... :D

Offline psychocircus

• Philmusicus Noobitus
1010lt questions
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 09:14:58 AM »
Hey Blueberri, how did you go?

The reason I ask is that I am just about to buy a 1010LT and want to record in a similar fashion to what it sounds like you are doing so I am keen to hear how others go.

Offline Blueberri

1010lt questions
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 01:39:58 PM »
im still waiting for the 1010lt to get here...my aunt ordered it a few days back from musicians friend. And I got an MXL 990 pair free!!! (feed back naman on these mics, ok ba??)

will update you on how it goes...

I was at alimall earlier today checking out mics and stuff...the behringer C-2 is tempting, mura kasi..im gonna look at reviews later...or if anyone has used this mic pair, feedback naman...thanks!

also, i found a 1/4 stereo PL to mono RCA converter plug (deeco)...just plug it into the inserts sa mixer...and connect an rca cable...you get a line level signal without lossing signal to the faders...cool! its just like a stereo plug, but there's no insulator between the tip and the ring...

im a bit concerned about the "half inserting the jack thingie" baka ma bump lang ng onti yung mixer/cables, mawala na yung signal..i tried it though and it works...

Offline Blueberri

1010lt questions
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 06:35:43 PM »
its finally here!!!
medyo matagal din ako naghintay...

well i said ill update on how it goes...

pero, hindi ko pa sya nakakabit!! ahehehe...hindi ko pa nga nabubuksan yung kahon eh...

ang ok though ay yung free mics...ived read na hindi ganun kaganda ang mxl 990s..but its free!!! i got 2 mics free!! and they work!! ahehe!! ayus talaga um-order sa US. mas mura na, madalas pa may freebies...

will be installing it tonight, updates again soon...

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
1010lt questions
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 07:41:24 PM »
congrats!  galing naman nung free mics.  san ka nag order?
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline jplacson

1010lt questions
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 11:29:38 PM »
congrats!  I love M-Audio stuff! :)

on recording... if your hardware allows, and you want to record at a higher sampling rate, record at 88.2 (if output is going to CD), not at 96 (unless audio is going to DV or DVD)

But Kit is right, specially if you're not running a dedicated HDD, keep sampling rates at 44.1/24bit.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline Blueberri

1010lt questions
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 08:37:09 AM »
hey! thanks guys...got it from musicians friend.
a bit disappointed sa mics though...they dont sound alike..one's a bit brighter. oh well...It's free!!! ahehe

I have my audio programs and audio data stored in diff hard drives. but i think ill just keep it at 44.1/24 for now. para di malakas kumain HD space.

got it installed na...painless procedure. all analog I/Os are working fine...
drivers went in w/o any snags. just remember to disable the onboard sound.

the control software might need some getting used to, but once you understand it well, madami sya gamit. the routing function is great...the volume button on my A4 tech keyboard doesnt work with it though.

im using it with sonar 4 prod. ed. haha!!! nakakahilo yung input tab ngayun sa sobra dami nila!! will soon try to track drums through my behri mixer. using the inserts as audio source from the indv mics ( 8 ) going into the m-audios analog ins.

thanks again!

Offline jplacson

1010lt questions
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 10:41:53 AM »
If you have a separate drive for your recordings, you can go and try recording at 24/88.2 it's better than recording at 96khz cuz when you resample down to 44.1, there are no odd resampling bits. downsampling is even throughout your project.  you use 96khz when your final output is for broadcast DV at 48khz or DVD.

Your HDD should be able to handle all 8 tracks no problem.  I'd peg it at 20 tracks easy.  It will start slowing down when it's almost full.  If you experience glitches, it's most likely in your software setup (you may have some tsr or other background apps running)  How's your RAM?  1GB minimum for reliable multi-track recording.

A single IDE/SATA drive should be able to handle a 24-track 24/96 recording.  18-tracks (24/96) if your project involves a lot of punch-ins/overdubs and random looped files here and there.  These are 'safe' margins.  Assuming the drive has to read and write smoothly at the same time.  If it's pure recording only... a single IDE drive can handle 32-tracks 24/96.  No need for RAID.

RAID 0 just improves performance during a recording session... but reduces data reliability.  RAID 1 decreases performance, but improves data integrity.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
1010lt questions
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 11:37:58 AM »
Blueberri,

I would advise caution when using SATA with the M-Audio Delta series. Although the onboard Silicon Image Sil3112 has been proven to be problematic for audio, you would be wise to consider your hard drive system with your new Delta. Here's a thread that could provide you with more info on the subject of SATA and M-Audio.

Offline Blueberri

1010lt questions
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 12:51:42 PM »
my pc specs are:

athlon64 3000 socket 939
Epox 9npa board (NF4)
1 gig of memory. 512x2 (pqi,generic)
2x80gig seagate SATAs

yan lang naman ang relevant sa recording performance right?

i panicked a bit when i read about that silicon image problem a few weeks back (from the same forum in the link,i remember that wizard guy avatar). then ran to get my mobo manual. i didnt find any reference to that chip though. baka sa mga older boards yan. i think native support naman sa chipset ko or maybe the board uses some other sata controller.

i tried recording some random audio tracks, 2 mics into the xlrs, and line signals from an mp3 player...sing along ako ng onti to check yung sync...all seems fine.

im looking forward to tracking some drums this weekend. to test it under a heavier load and see if any problems come up.

thanks

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
1010lt questions
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 01:22:20 PM »

i panicked a bit when i read about that silicon image problem a few weeks back (from the same forum in the link,i remember that wizard guy avatar). then ran to get my mobo manual. i didnt find any reference to that chip though. baka sa mga older boards yan. i think native support naman sa chipset ko or maybe the board uses some other sata controller.

I checked your mobo and it seems you're good to go. The N4 chipset handles SATA natively and you don't have a single Silicon Image chip onboard. Details here if you're curious.

Are you using your ram in dual channel mode under 1T timings? The Nforce boards seem to love 1T and have better performance compared to 2T timings. Ram is always a bottleneck so the better ram you can have, the better the performance of your DAW.

Offline Blueberri

1010lt questions
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 09:07:30 PM »
whew! that's a relief..thanks kitc!

yep, the memory is running in dual channel...just dont know about the timing...where can i check that??

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
1010lt questions
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 10:09:20 PM »
yep, the memory is running in dual channel...just dont know about the timing...where can i check that??

Bios. Look usually in dram timings.