hulika

Author Topic: The Scale Modeling Thread  (Read 78553 times)

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Scale Modeling Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2012, 02:59:55 AM »
interesting... mas mura kaya dun sa hobby shop na yun? anyway, I'd like to hear from users of these paints. matagal na akong gumagamit ng tamiya at gunze acrylics. I'd like to know what caveats there are to using vallejo.

alin sir yung Deovir? actuallly hindi siya hobby shop, tindahan siya ng architectural and fine arts related stuff.. pag mga gagawa ng scale models ng residential houses and buildings dun bumibili.. hehe, kala ko nga ganung scalemodels ang tinutukoy ng thread na to kaya ko naligaw dito! hehe...

pero tama maraming klase ng paint dun!
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2012, 09:17:20 PM »
Actually, I've known about Vallejo paints from reading Fine Scale Modeler magazine. Matagal ko nang gustong subukan mga paints na to kaso akala ko'y di makakaabot dito. Imagine my surprise nung nakita ko sa Deovir ang mga to.

To top it all off, they have a complete line as far as I can tell. Of course, their emphasis seems to be on figure painting, but Vallejo also has a line for plastic models, especially the 'Air' series which you can use directly with airbrushes.

I was particularly excited with their 'metallic medium' which is supposed to give any color a metallic shade. Perfect for the new F-22/F-35/V-22 schemes which use paints that have an unusual metallic sheen. My first thoughts after testing this medium with Citadel (a turquoise blue for MiG interiors) and Tamiya (semi-gloss black) acrylics? This medium lightens the color, but it really does have a sheen. Brush strokes are minimal, but retarder may help with reducing that. Overall, my initial impressions are very good!

Yeah, I know this is supposed to be a scale modeling thread, but we're free to discuss techniques and the tools of the trade. When I started with this hobby, all I was using were Testors and Humbrol enamels, and all my first gen models were brush painted. Now, I got pastels, oil paints, acrylics and lacquers... who says fine art isn't part of the hobby?  :-D
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline kozki

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »
will the 1/100 be in scale with the 1/100 gundams? im planning to get a 1/100 tank for my diorama.
Peace, Love and Heavy Metal!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2012, 01:15:17 PM »
will the 1/100 be in scale with the 1/100 gundams? im planning to get a 1/100 tank for my diorama.

The theory is... yes! Assuming you have a full scale gundam to compare the tank with. One way to check is with the pilots/crew. If they're the same size/height for both the tank and gundam, then the scale is the same.

I'm curious about the tank, though. Most small scale tanks are like 1/76 and those are already tiny! Where did you find that 1/100 tank? Are they the Zvezda series?
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline kozki

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2012, 05:53:28 PM »
The theory is... yes! Assuming you have a full scale gundam to compare the tank with. One way to check is with the pilots/crew. If they're the same size/height for both the tank and gundam, then the scale is the same.

I'm curious about the tank, though. Most small scale tanks are like 1/76 and those are already tiny! Where did you find that 1/100 tank? Are they the Zvezda series?

here is the link sir.

http://antonswargame.blogspot.com/2012/04/axis-and-allies-model-tanks-in-1100.html

1/100 scale gundams is like the size of a person hand standing.

thanks for the tip about the zvezda.

only need about a dozen for my war themed gundam diorama.
Peace, Love and Heavy Metal!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
Well, if Japan decides to really build a full size gundam, then we can compare it with their Type 90 MBT at least for ratio and proportion. Frankly, I think the sizes are a tad small but then again...

Try going to JMN Hobbies in Harrison Plaza if you need to find or order some special kits/items. Try to talk to the proprietor, Natalie. She can order stuff from Hannants. Haven't seen any of those small scale tanks in either Lil's or Special Toys.

Offline region III

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2012, 01:33:44 PM »
i use roskopf military models for my 1/100 dioramas. perfect for 1/100 gundams. they cost arouns $12 each but you can get them at 50% off during sale.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2012, 12:03:22 AM »
Since I've got some time on my hands, did a little dry fitting...

It's a 1/48 Tamiya He-219. Was working on the engine nacelles. Tried to see how it aligns to the fuselage.
Sprayed the cockpit interior dark gray. Now I need some fine brushes and variations of black and dark gray to make things stand out. After I finish the nacelles, that is. I kinda OCD with how well the surfacer and putty blend well with the plastic.

Closeups with the Galaxy ain't so great. Wish they had a digital back for my Nikon F2.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2012, 01:54:33 PM »
Been thinking of making myself available for airbrushing jobs. Maybe even some custom detailing work. Been wanting to produce a battle damaged mecha/gundam for a bit now.

Whatcha guys think? Feel free to PM me if interested.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Happy new year, fellow modelers!

Now that PM is up again and the holidays have passed, what new acquisitions have you received recently?

Let me start... I recently got  Trumpeter 1/48 MiG-23 MF Fulcrum and a WingTech Bf110D 1/48 Nachtjager - pleasantly surprised at the quality of both kits! Now if luck shines on me, hopefully a Tamiya Il-2 Sturmovik will follow soon.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2013, 11:01:49 PM »
Just got the Sturmovik.  :-D

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2013, 09:41:50 AM »
pa join dito, i collect and build (well most have been destroyed now) of fighter planes, but i especially love 50's / 60's vintage jets.

i had a small collection of century fighters, and warsaw pact fighters ........ until our kasambahay's child came in and destroyed my little collection.  :cry: :cry: :cry:

planning to get back and start building again since wala na sila sa bahay  :-D
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2013, 11:02:33 PM »
Welcome, fizz!

Sorry to hear about your collection, but it does give you an excuse to start over!  :-D

Had my share of mishaps with my nephews; that's how collections come about. Originally started with 1/72 WW2 bombers, then century series. Now I'm into WW2 german and contemporary Russian aircraft. Been thinking of trying out tanks and Gundam, especially giving the latter a thorough battle damaged look (the thought of fighting machines being too pretty doesn't seem to fit to me).

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2013, 06:02:04 AM »
Welcome, fizz!

Sorry to hear about your collection, but it does give you an excuse to start over!  :-D

Had my share of mishaps with my nephews; that's how collections come about. Originally started with 1/72 WW2 bombers, then century series. Now I'm into WW2 german and contemporary Russian aircraft. Been thinking of trying out tanks and Gundam, especially giving the latter a thorough battle damaged look (the thought of fighting machines being too pretty doesn't seem to fit to me).

it's a little harder to get bombers - well at least locally it seems  :-D i used to do 1/72 din because it was pretty much all i could afford as a student  :) think the largest i had was a 1/48 Mirage IIIR... i'm thinking of getting into a car collection as well since i'm into that scene nowadays  :cool:
Bedroom Rock Guitar

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2013, 10:07:50 PM »
Bombers? Hard? Hmmm... lemme see

In 1/72 I've seen the B-17, B-24, B-29... In 1/48 the B-1B, Mitsubishi G4M Betty, He-111 and maybe a B-29. In 1/32 I've seen the Ju-88 and He-111 over at Lils. I'm sure Trumpeter has many bombers out in large scales. Depends on where you look. My favorite haunts are Lil's and Special Toys, and JMN over at Harrison.

Cars and motorcycles are great! I just have a relatively hard time getting great gloss finishes, but since I discovered a source of Future floor polish here, I immediately grabbed a couple of bottles. Gloss coats are now easy.  :-D

My largest kit at the moment is still my 1/48 Revell B-1B. The way I'm building right now, the Bone will be retired by the time I finish the build.

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2013, 07:01:28 AM »
^ yep! i definitely visit Lil's in megamall when i can, often just to gawk  :-o i also check out their branch in Kapitolyo. there's this place in Isetann Recto, 5th floor i think, where i bought most of my stuff.

i don't go for gloss paint e hehe i like jets matte, and i suck with camo - i last attempted to hand draw the camo for a blue / white F-5....it was horrid  :wave:

do you guys meet up to discuss your builds? i'd love to learn techs if any  :cry:
Bedroom Rock Guitar

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »
Not an IPMS member, unfortunately, but I get to talk with some modelers everytime I'm at Lil's.

The gloss coat is not a final coat on my planes, but a barrier coat in preparation for weathering. Future also prevents decals from silvering and another coat on top of that blends the decals with the paint job. I'm planning on using Vallejo matt varnish for my topcoats.

Never did brush paint in a long time... only for detail painting cockpits and cabling in bays. Always had a problem with brush strokes.

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2013, 06:41:13 AM »
yep non IPMS din, but i do watch the yearly shows they put up at megamall  :) some friends of mine are active members of scale model clubs...haven't found time to join e

thanks sa feedback with the polish / coat stuff. kaya pala as the years went by with my planes the decals had weird colouration on them  >:D
Bedroom Rock Guitar

Offline Siomaiforyou

« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2013, 06:29:06 PM »
I find this amusing scale modelers at PM cool...have this hobby way back 90's....Unfortunately most of my kits were damaged when we have to move to a new place mostly Aircrafts I had been assembling that participated in Desert Storm... have some still on hand F-4G Phantoms, MIG-23s, A-10 Warthogs unassembled...Had some armors too, M1A2 Abrams...dunno if these are tradable with some gadgets or what have you's...anyone interested?

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »
nako sir don't have gear to trade for you  :cry:

but nice to find fellow scale modelers as well!
Bedroom Rock Guitar

Offline Siomaiforyou

« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2013, 08:03:32 PM »
One thing about having passion for both music and scale modeling is either you give up the other and gooble up time on the one that gives you the most satisfaction...one will out do the other....In my experience I almost spent more time on my scale modeling for sometime and had allowed my guitar to rust...The only time I gave it up is when my collection got destroyed I was so depressed had to shift onto something..there came the guitar back...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2013, 09:51:51 PM »
I can relate.

When I started playing keys, it took up all of my time while the hobby got relegated to collecting. It takes a while to strike a balance between the 2 since both are... 'time-consuming".

Offline Siomaiforyou

« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2013, 10:36:06 PM »
Both can consume time but not like the scale modelling which will really lock you up in a world like you are the only one existing as you pay attention to every detail you do...you get into a private world, introverting. Music on the other hand connects to an audience, an expression extroverting, both creates a certain aura of satisfaction you do as u progress....

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2013, 01:32:56 AM »
I wouldn't call it much of an introverted hobby as it is mostly a one-man operation as are most hobbies, but I have met a lot of interesting people when I'm in hobby stores or at model competitions. So there's a bit of interaction there. Then again, it's like painting or photography... often a solitary endeavor.

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2013, 07:42:42 AM »
with scale modeling, most people i meet are well mannered.  :-D

still have to get my hand on a new kit so i can start building again  :razz:
Bedroom Rock Guitar