hulika

Author Topic: Blues Career  (Read 3033 times)

Offline nicosci

• Forum Fanatic
Blues Career
« on: May 19, 2006, 12:07:08 AM »
Okay kayang mag career as a bluesplayer within 5 years? ok ba filipino sa blues
Let USA invadeThe Philippines

Chito

Re: Blues Career
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 12:50:22 AM »
Quote from: nicosci

I'm not sure about the state of the Blues scene in the Philippines but I can tell you one thing, blues artists never get the recognition they deserve. Which in essence means, it is going to be difficult if you are aspiring to be famous or even make enough money to make a career off it. I'll give you an example, here in Ottawa, we have what's called the "Ottawa Bluesfest". Although when it started in 1994 until 1999, all the headliners where blues artists, e.g. BB King, Buddy Guy, Clarence Clemons, Taj Mahal, even Ray Charles among others,  the organizers of this event decided to take advantage of the popularity and make more money and started putting non-blues performers to attract a bigger crowd and relegated all the blues artists on a side-stage. I don't even understand now why they still call it a bluesfest when their main headliners this year are KC’s Boogie Blast starring KC & The Sunshine Band, Gloria Gaynor, Tavares and Sister Sledge featuring Kathy Sledge.  Check this out : http://www.ottawabluesfest.ca/en/

The above is just an example of how blues artists are treated even here in North America.  Considering blues is well appreciated here where I am which you can tell by number of blues bars we have around town, I am not sure if making a career out of it is a great idea. But if you feel that you have what it takes to succeed and face the "hardships" that you might encounter along the way, then go for it. You'll never know what's in store for you and how far you can go unless you try it out first.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Blues Career
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 07:28:16 AM »
Quote from: nicosci

Career... bluesplayer... within 5 years...

That's a triple oxymoron, bro.  :-)

As for Filipino sa blues, I've got two words for you...  (nope, not Delta Slim! :-))....  Lampano Alley!

Offline Sound Weavers

Blues Career
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 03:12:17 PM »
depends what u mean by career:
- if doing something that you love and being really good at it. YES!
- if doing something that you love, being really good at it and MAKING a living out of it. NO.

jazz pwede pa. :D

deltaslim, Lampano Alley na-career ba nila blues? ano na balita kay Binky L?

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Blues Career
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 04:07:37 PM »
Quote from: Sound Weavers
depends what u mean by career:
- if doing something that you love and being really good at it. YES!
- if doing something that you love, being really good at it and MAKING a living out of it. NO.

jazz pwede pa. :D

deltaslim, Lampano Alley na-career ba nila blues? ano na balita kay Binky L?

well i was using Lampano Alley as a proof that pinoys can play blues. granted may isang kano dun pero na offset ni binky as the "black" guy. :-)

naudlot na naman career nila dahil nagaaral si binky sa US.  tomcat spends half the year here pa rin, half sa US/Mexico.  but they're big success sa intl bluesfest sa Singapore spoke volumes about pinoy blues.