hulika

Author Topic: Let's talk SG! (aka The SG Club)  (Read 221104 times)

Offline jpadua

Re: Let's talk SG! (aka The SG Club)
« Reply #250 on: July 02, 2007, 01:36:39 PM »
pasali.. pangulit lang.. here's mine.. Epiphone g310(emil the strange limited)

same specs don with Epi g310, the graphics are just added... and yeah the volume knobs with swirl graphics..cool!.. The sound is pretty descent, ill be stickin on the stock pups for this.And yeah the necks pretty heavy for the body.

Cool Emily the Strange!!! yeah that G-310 has really cool graphics, yeah stick with the stock pups, actually if you plan to change them out, just change the neck, pup.  The bridge pickup is really hot! First I was planning to change out all the pups, but after using this guitar for a few months I fell in love with the sound of the bridge pup, I'm sticking with it.  Pass it through an overdrive or distortion even at low gain settings, you get a very classic rock sound, bigat, the sound closely resembles a real SG more than a G400 (according to reviews of the G-310 www.everythingsg.com)

Weird thing about that bridge open coil pup, it doesnt have standard pole spacing, I bought 4 pickup covers already and non of them fit, all with standard bridge spacing.  I finally ordered chrome covers without holes, I'm gonna have them custom fitted by Jun Castro with wax potting.  The pickup sounds so hot, it squeals a bit sometimes, so the wax potting would tame it a little bit.  I plan to change out the neck pup with a SD SPH90 (P90 in humbucker size) to get a hot single coil sound from the bridge.

Another reason why the pickup sounds beefier than G400s, the actual position of the bridge pup is further from the bridge than standard SG copies.

Another thing, the stock tuners sometimes slip, so if youve got the extra cash to fork out, get some grovers or gotohs.  I've replaced mine with sperzel locking tuners with a drop-d switch.

oooh one more thing, string tension is really great especially when you drop-d, unlike my other guitars which Ive used with drop d tuning, the low e string feels too loose. The g-310 is perfect with .10s na snarling dogs.

The neck is really fast, you can really shread on that thing!

Best of all is the price, got mine for $200 on amazon!

My favorite guitar...(i'm in love with it)
Epi SG ltd. | Epi Firbird Studio ltd. | Epi Les Paul Jr. | Fender Strat Plus | Avalon Silver series 200 Acoustic  | My Band http://www.myspace.com/thisisovertone | http://www.soundclick.com/jaypadua

Offline chypre

« Reply #251 on: July 02, 2007, 02:02:47 PM »

same specs don with Epi g310, the graphics are just added... and yeah the volume knobs with swirl graphics..cool!.. The sound is pretty descent, ill be stickin on the stock pups for this.And yeah the necks pretty heavy for the body.

Cool Emily the Strange!!! yeah that G-310 has really cool graphics, yeah stick with the stock pups, actually if you plan to change them out, just change the neck, pup.  The bridge pickup is really hot! First I was planning to change out all the pups, but after using this guitar for a few months I fell in love with the sound of the bridge pup, I'm sticking with it.  Pass it through an overdrive or distortion even at low gain settings, you get a very classic rock sound, bigat, the sound closely resembles a real SG more than a G400 (according to reviews of the G-310 www.everythingsg.com)

Weird thing about that bridge open coil pup, it doesnt have standard pole spacing, I bought 4 pickup covers already and non of them fit, all with standard bridge spacing.  I finally ordered chrome covers without holes, I'm gonna have them custom fitted by Jun Castro with wax potting.  The pickup sounds so hot, it squeals a bit sometimes, so the wax potting would tame it a little bit.  I plan to change out the neck pup with a SD SPH90 (P90 in humbucker size) to get a hot single coil sound from the bridge.

Another reason why the pickup sounds beefier than G400s, the actual position of the bridge pup is further from the bridge than standard SG copies.

Another thing, the stock tuners sometimes slip, so if youve got the extra cash to fork out, get some grovers or gotohs.  I've replaced mine with sperzel locking tuners with a drop-d switch.

oooh one more thing, string tension is really great especially when you drop-d, unlike my other guitars which Ive used with drop d tuning, the low e string feels too loose. The g-310 is perfect with .10s na snarling dogs.

sperzel locking tuners with a drop-d switch.<--where did you bought this?this one is great
for hassle free tunig from drop D to standard. Oh i guess 1 more reason why the strings are not loose even if tuned drop D because of the tilted head, gives more tension.

Do you use straplocks? im a bit hesitant on replacing the screws on the neckplate, it might affect the alignment of the bolt on neck. does it?

Im pretty happy with the pups,I have no plans on changing them yet since i only play rhythm.

thanks for the comments sir!

Epiphone G310(ETS)>Boss CS-3,Boston HM-100,Boston EQ-100>Boston CH-100>Boston FL-100>Zoom GFX 707(i)>>>

Offline jpadua

« Reply #252 on: July 02, 2007, 02:18:48 PM »

sperzel locking tuners with a drop-d switch.<--where did you bought this?this one is great
for hassle free tunig from drop D to standard. Oh i guess 1 more reason why the strings are not loose even if tuned drop D because of the tilted head, gives more tension.

Do you use straplocks? im a bit hesitant on replacing the screws on the neckplate, it might affect the alignment of the bolt on neck. does it?

Im pretty happy with the pups,I have no plans on changing them yet since i only play rhythm.

thanks for the comments sir!

I got the sperzels over the web, sa www.gtrheaven.com, they dont deliver to the ph so I had them deliver it to my friend in the state who brought it home for me.  you can get them also at www.guitarpartsresource.com kaso they sell the drop-d switch separately so mas mahal lumalabas, cool thing about guitarpartsresource.com they ship to the philippines for only $6  for items under $100. This is where I buy all my accessories na wala dito sa pinas, pup covers, knobs, switches, pickguards, etc.  Available ang grover and gotoh sa guitarpartsresource.com the price is reasonable, around $37 +$6 shipping = $45 x P46 = P2,007 more or less depende na yan sa exchange rate, they take paypal and creditcard.  Ok sila safe, dami ko na nabili sa kanila, usually takes 2weeks for items to get to the post office.  post office wont charge you tax for small accessories.

Di pwede lagyan standard straplocks dahil yung strap button is custom fit to the back plate screw.  Standard strap buttons wont fit, The only thing that would work is a planet waves locking strap or dimarzio cliploks which I use now with this guitar.
Epi SG ltd. | Epi Firbird Studio ltd. | Epi Les Paul Jr. | Fender Strat Plus | Avalon Silver series 200 Acoustic  | My Band http://www.myspace.com/thisisovertone | http://www.soundclick.com/jaypadua

Offline chypre

« Reply #253 on: July 02, 2007, 02:38:10 PM »
thanks sir!!
Epiphone G310(ETS)>Boss CS-3,Boston HM-100,Boston EQ-100>Boston CH-100>Boston FL-100>Zoom GFX 707(i)>>>

Offline iandomld

• Veteran Member
« Reply #254 on: July 16, 2007, 10:24:49 PM »
pasali ulit..hehe.. :-D

epi g400 goth

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 07:33:51 PM by iandomld »

Offline chypre

« Reply #255 on: July 17, 2007, 09:38:41 AM »
goth!!!! asteg!!! magkano score mo?? hehe.. wla ang markers yung fret board niyan? :evil:

Offline jpadua

« Reply #256 on: July 17, 2007, 10:07:58 AM »

epi g400 goth

Lupit!!!

Offline iandomld

• Veteran Member
« Reply #257 on: July 17, 2007, 11:28:39 AM »
goth!!!! asteg!!! magkano score mo?? hehe.. wla ang markers yung fret board niyan? :evil:

hehe..wla po..XII lng sa 12th fret..14k po bili ko..mahal ba?

epi g400 goth

Lupit!!!

tnx po.. :-D

Offline SuperWeak!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #258 on: July 17, 2007, 03:29:02 PM »
I like the SGs because they are light and very playable.  I have a Gibson faded cherry Special that I have changed the pups to a nickel covered 490T and 490R, which I prefer, look wise.  I use 10s D'Addario XLs on both my SGs.  I seem to like the thicker neck of the SGs.  Only problem is they are neck heavy.  Solution is to use thicker straps.  Tone-wise, with the original pick ups, they seem to be a bit darker, but have seemingly sweet highs.  They are great guitars.

I was made to understand the Epiphone Elitist 61 re-issues are very good, even better than the build of the Gibson faded specials that I have.  The pick ups are USA types and they sound superb, according to those who own them - and swear by them.  I have yet to try one.

PS.  It is a must to have strap locks on SGs.  The position of the neck strap button is rather off, you need to secure your straps well.  Schaller strap locks work well.

FWIW

Here are my SGs.

Standard SG Ebony with 498T and 490R humbuckers and Faded Cherry before nickel pup cover change.

Faded Cherry Special SG with 490T and 490R with new covered pups.

SWEET! :-D

epi g400 goth

SUPER SWEET!!!

Offline iandomld

• Veteran Member
« Reply #259 on: July 17, 2007, 07:40:46 PM »
thanks sir.. :-D may inadd pa ako isang pic.. :-D

Offline Trans-Am

« Reply #260 on: July 18, 2007, 09:32:01 AM »
Allright boys! :-o I'll bite :-D

2007 SG Standard Limited Edition SilverBurst:

:mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 09:33:43 AM by Trans-Am »
Gimme Some Truth - John Lennon

Offline SuperWeak!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #261 on: July 18, 2007, 10:26:43 AM »
mas trip ko un tiger eye na LP kesa sa SG mo eh Hihi

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #262 on: July 18, 2007, 06:37:14 PM »
Couple of old sg....

69' gibson sg special...

73' gibson sg std...

Offline bokyo

« Reply #263 on: September 06, 2007, 02:51:53 PM »
sg's are cool!! i also have and epi goth sg and epi g400 sg. i'll post some pics soon. :-D
a big orange ocean and a pink gummy robot seperates us!!

Offline bokyo

« Reply #264 on: September 06, 2007, 03:16:04 PM »
here's mine.

epiphone sg g400

epiphone sg goth
a big orange ocean and a pink gummy robot seperates us!!

Offline subzero

« Reply #265 on: September 06, 2007, 10:50:27 PM »
uy!!!!!!!!!me SG Club pala.pwede po makisali.......heto po pics ng SG ko po,Greco SG 1970 model,(me story po itong guitar na ito kung paano ko nabili)

..........pagkakuha ko dinala ko poagad ke sir Arie  para ipaayos...gusto ko sana iparepaint kaso pinayuhan ako ni sir Arie na hwag ko na galawin yung mga paint chips kasi yun daw yung age nung guitar,gusto ko sana lagyan ng magandang pick up,any suggestion ?????and san po a nakakbili ng vintage knob gusto ko po kasing palitan........pasensya na po sa pics ...........
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 11:54:26 PM by subzero »
mabuhay ang malayang PILIPINO!!!!
are human SACRIFICE are the COLLATERAL for FREEDOM?????????????

Offline toybitz

« Reply #266 on: September 07, 2007, 12:09:40 AM »
Couple of old sg....

69' gibson sg special...

73' gibson sg std...

Doc, is the 73 lighter than the 69? thanks in advance.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #267 on: September 07, 2007, 12:43:16 AM »
Couple of old sg....

69' gibson sg special...

p90s and wraparound tailpiece.. how devlish!

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #268 on: September 07, 2007, 10:16:38 AM »
Doc, is the 73 lighter than the 69? thanks in advance.

weight??? almost the same... mag kaiba yun heel at neck profile... the 69' has a meatier neck, bilogan... and the heel is extended (parang heel from hell ng prs, hehe)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 10:18:57 AM by farseer »

Offline meotron

« Reply #269 on: September 07, 2007, 05:21:27 PM »
hello mga bossing na sg lover!hehehe. lapit na po ako magkaroon ng left handed epi sg g400, patulong po, kasi ung truss rod cover nya nawawala, san po ba pwedeng makabili nito? o kaya magpagawa?may idea po ba kayo kung magkano po ito thanks po! :-D

Offline toybitz

« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2007, 01:50:51 AM »
weight??? almost the same... mag kaiba yun heel at neck profile... the 69' has a meatier neck, bilogan... and the heel is extended (parang heel from hell ng prs, hehe)

thanks Doc.

I've weighed kc a 70s and a standard SG. sobrang gaan ng 70s.

Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2007, 10:16:52 AM »
ive treid some newer sgs, magaan din naman... some are even lighter than the 69 and 74... but those new sgs dont sound as woody, gritty... :-)

Offline nickienokie

« Reply #272 on: September 09, 2007, 02:50:16 PM »
pjoin...heheh... ive got my epi SG special... 3p n 3p ko ung luks...whahah...ska lytw8t and bsta... SG is da best 4 me..whahahha dats all folks  :wink:
Fear Those Who Are Fearless.....

Offline nickienokie

anung strings refer nyu 4 ur SG?!?
« Reply #273 on: September 09, 2007, 03:21:48 PM »
anung string gmt nyu 4 ur SG?!?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 03:24:00 PM by nickienokie »
Fear Those Who Are Fearless.....

Offline meotron

« Reply #274 on: September 09, 2007, 11:17:33 PM »
pasali po ako!hehehe :-D excited lang ako dito, first ever lefty electric guitar ko! sarap paglaruan at magaan pa sya, ganda ng tone kahit na stock pick ups lang!

my lefty epiphone sg g400! yuhoo! :-D :-D :-D

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 10:30:20 PM by meotron »