hulika

Author Topic: this is why we(PINOYS) have the right to sing the blues!!!  (Read 12236 times)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Re: this is why we(PINOYS) have the right to sing the blues!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2008, 02:42:31 PM »
Dami na kong nabasa about us as a people. Eto pa. During the Filipino-American war, accounts of the battle say that when a Filipino soldier was hit and knew he was dying he would put his hands behind his head as if going to sleep, looked at the sky, closed his eyes and died.

Whereas American soldiers who got hit groaned and clawed and grunted miserably until the life came out of them. Die hard kumbaga.

It tells me something. 
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline xavier

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2008, 08:49:25 PM »
Dami na kong nabasa about us as a people. Eto pa. During the Filipino-American war, accounts of the battle say that when a Filipino soldier was hit and knew he was dying he would put his hands behind his head as if going to sleep, looked at the sky, closed his eyes and died.

Whereas American soldiers who got hit groaned and clawed and grunted miserably until the life came out of them. Die hard kumbaga.

It tells me something. 

masyadong gentle ang mga pinoy.  :lol:

and maybe too easily contented din.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 02:35:08 AM »
I dont know din about "gentle" but...

Gen. Douglas McArthur once said "give me 100,000 Filipino soldiers and I will conquer the world".

Then again, McArthur was not only a brilliant military mind, he was also a showman of the highest caliber,so you cant really tell which side of him is talking when he said that :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

william251082

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 04:07:35 AM »
Kung optimists ang mga pinoy, OT: kailan kaya magkakalunas ang pangungurakot sa Pilipinas? Though I'm completely aware na naging culture na yun.

Kurakutan ba naman ako ng mga politician eh, mapapakanta talaga ako ng blues non. :-D

Offline edmund

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 10:42:20 AM »
im glad to be pinoy-kunti lang ang nag suicide dito compare sa ibang countries!! :-D

Offline xavier

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 07:17:37 PM »
Kung optimists ang mga pinoy, OT: kailan kaya magkakalunas ang pangungurakot sa Pilipinas? Though I'm completely aware na naging culture na yun.

Kurakutan ba naman ako ng mga politician eh, mapapakanta talaga ako ng blues non. :-D

meron nang linya dun. "kung ako ang papipiliin ay nag-congressman na ako, h'wag nyo lang akong pipilitin na is'oli ang bayad nyo."

Offline Ground Zero

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2008, 06:47:55 AM »
because we filipinos are the blacks of asia!

I loved it... It makes me want to watch "Crossroads" again and revive the blues side of me... :wink:
DEYM! x_x

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 07:08:52 PM »
we have the right to sing the blues, because we're very good.
one good example is the Blue Rats.

see the blue rats thread.

i'm glad to have been part of that legacy...not because i'm a badass guitar player mind you... :-D i'm still learning my way through the blues..

my former band was badass! :evil:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:31:13 PM by blues2death »
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline fred

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 11:23:47 AM »
I travel almost 6 to 8 times a year-- regularly to Asian cities.

The nice thing about most of the hotels I stay in is that they usually have Filipinos playing in the hotels' outlets. The performers were either Lounge piano players / singers, bands or the Cumbachero types. A few of these hotels even had Lobby Posters saying the band playing that night was "From The Philippines" and it was done so as some sort of promise to the patrons that the group will be really good.

There was a time recently in Port Dixon, Malaysia when I attended a  post conference dinner party for  multi-national delegates and was pleasantly surprised to find a Pinoy Cumbachero Trio moving about each table entertaining the guests -regaling the listeners with a range of songs that spanned Sinatra to Freddie Aguilar -- "Anak" being a favorite among many Malaysians as I learned later on. In some numbers, they even sang in  Bahasa and Mandarn as well to the delight of the guests!

I approached these guys after their stint and we just hit it off right away. They have not been home for 4 years now performing almost every night for parties on the week ends and resort lounges / lobbies on weekdays. They have been very busy but all three said they really longed for home which was in Mandaluyong. You can feel how much they missed home and the sadness in their voices was alternately replaced at times only by the excitement of being with a Kababayan.

I sat down with them as they had their dinner and borrowed one of the guitars they had and then played for them a few Tagalog songs that I still know how to play. When I played Bong Gabriel's Ang Aking Awitin - the 3 guys all started to sing in a beautiful harmony with the other guitarist joining in seamlessly. The other  2 guys pulled their chairs towards mine and created a semi-circle continuing their singing as they did.

In typical Pinoy fashion, we played on a few more songs-- handing out the guitar to the one who knew the song better. Later on, some delegates from KL, Singapore and Hong-Kong  joined us bringing their own chairs as well -- not to mention their choice of songs they wanted to sing. It turned out to be a nice night after all and the bonding factor which brought strangers  together was the music those 3 Pinoys brought out.

It wasn't straight out Delta, Chicago or Texas blues but it certainly easily could have been since those guys played on with smiles on their faces despite their deep longing for home. Kailangang lang daw talaga kumita as one of them explained.

Magagaling sila and I told them so! I wished them good fortune as we parted for the night.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:25:15 AM by fred »
Singapore Tours start at US$ 130 per person
for 3 Days and 2 Nights until Dec. 2013.  Hong-Kong Tours start at US$98 per person. PM me please. =)

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2008, 03:30:10 AM »
I travel almost 6 to 8 times a year-- regularly to Asian cities.

The nice thing about most of the hotels I stay in is that they usually have Filipinos playing in the hotels' outlets. The performers were either Lounge piano players / singers, bands or the Cumbachero types. A few of these hotels even had Lobby Posters saying the band playing that night was "From The Philippines" and it was done so as some sort of promise to the patrons that the group will be really good.

There was a time recently in Port Dixon, Malaysia when I attended a  post conference dinner party for  multi-national delegates and was pleasantly surprised to find a Pinoy Cumbachero Trio moving about each table entertaining the guests -regaling the listeners with a range of songs that spanned Sinatra to Freddie Aguilar -- "Anak" being a favorite among many Malaysians as I learned later on. In some numbers, they even sang in  Bahasa and Mandarn as well to the delight of the guests!

I approached these guys after their stint and we just hit it off right away. They have not been home for 4 years now performing almost every night for parties on the week ends and resort lounges / lobbies on weekdays. They have been very busy but all three said they really longed for home which was in Mandaluyong. You can feel how much they missed home and the sadness in their voices was alternately replaced at times only by the excitement of being with a Kababayan.

I sat down with them as they had their dinner and borrowed one of the guitars they had and then played for them a few Tagalog songs that I still know how to play. When I played Bong Gabriel's Ang Aking Awitin - the 3 guys all started to sing in a beautiful harmony with the other guitarist joining in seamlessly. The other  2 guys pulled their chairs towards mine and created a semi-circle continuing their singing as they did.

In typical Pinoy fashion, we played on a few more songs-- handing out the guitar to the one who knew the song better. Later on, some delegates from KL, Singapore and Hong-Kong  joined us bringing their own chairs as well -- not to mention their choice of songs they wanted to sing. It turned out to be a nice night after all and the bonding factor which brought strangers  together was the music those 3 Pinoys brought out.

It wasn't straight out Delta, Chicago or Texas blues but it certainly easily could have been since those guys played on with smiles on their faces despite their deep longing for home. Kailangang lang daw talaga kumita as one of them explained.

Magagaling sila and I told them so! I wished them good fortune as we parted for the night.

Come to think of it, maybe this is the "Pinoy's blues" - yung barakda/inuman sa kanto/bonding type. Not so much musicality, not so much performance, just plain bonding, laughing, and enjoying the moment that we (Filipinos) are together. Many Filipinos (that I know of) started playing guitar this way.

Interesting. :)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2008, 10:39:20 AM »
I have been playing for the past 6 days sa isang lounge na nag-ngangalang "Misty's".

Maganda tong lounge na to, daming tao parati...it's always good to play in front of crowd, especially an appreciative one. Yun nga lang, pang-showband ang tugtugan.

We do have the occasional blues song or two in our repertoire. Songs like "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles and "Something to talk about" which I consider more commercialized blues, but still in the bluesy vein. Also recently incorporated "Oye Como Va" by Santana. And before that, tinutugtog na din namin ang "Smooth"...both good songs pero pang ballroom na crowd ang mga songs na yun. :-D

Nevertheless, here was my chance to "rock out and rock hard"  :lol:. And the crowd is always enjoys our sets. Guitar players always come out and compliment me on my tone and playing and I always get to talk shop with most of them--some of them even own Custom Guitar Businesses---so you would never know.

Being in a showband, we were all required to sing one or two songs...I made my band happy, somehow learning how I'm able to sing(in tune)...they gave me a few song choices...ngak...I had to learn songs by Usher(my boo), One Republic(apologize) and stuff like that.

Well, I suppose...I'm not doing too bad with those songs(I always hook up with a hot looking chick almost after every gig)...But I only did those songs so that I could somehow convince my band to do songs that I like to do.

added songs were...Pride and joy, Mustang Sally, Hard to Handle, Purple Rain and Superstitious(SRV version).

Now I admit I can carry a tune, but I'm really insecure when I attempt songs that are more bluesy. Thank God I can hide behind a guitar!

Well last night, there was a black chick...Who seemed very happy, everytime I would come up to sing the Blues songs in our set.

She was hollerin' pretty loud during Purple Rain-- which in my opinion is what Hendrix would've sounded if he turned pop. It didn't hurt at all that was wearing a bandanna and 'marching band' inspired jacket.

Then i went threough my whole repertoire of SRV songs--which was only 2 songs! :lol: and Mustang Sally. :lol:--where the crowd would start line dancing.
The band were forced to do it because the chick kept requesting me to sing/play the blues and was sending the band drinks/shots and tips.

Later on, I found out that the chick was divorced! :-o...and she was fine, fine, fine.

I had to talk to her--proper 'show'band etiquette lang yun. And I didn't get any indecent proposals....but she kept telling me how good my band was...and how I had a lot of soul....

"you filipino musicians are like the blacks of asia!!!! "

needless to say, I got lucky with a blonde chick that night(in my dreams!)...but I was smiling from ear to ear when I got that compliment. It surely made my night!!!!!

guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline phektus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 01:42:49 AM »
must be full of teh mojos to get that sort of compliments, sir!!! pugay!

we have the right to sing soulful music because we're sensitive pricks!!! it's our way of relinquishing all negative smokes... me thinks :lol: :lol: :lol:
beautiful, beautiful music

Offline kimlopez

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2008, 12:04:39 PM »
Yeah! mabuhay talaga ang pinoy Blues. Magaling ang mga pinoy kahit anong genre eh. very flexible tayo pagdating dito. kaya pinupuri ang mga pinoy musicians sa ibang bansa eh. Sana mas makilala pa yung ibang banda dito sa pinas. at maging mature na sana ang music scene market dito sa tin. kasi puro pogi band ang sumisikat. mabuti nahaluan na ng mga quality genres like mga neo soul and jazz. Nagugustuhan na rin ng mga pinoy of all ages. MAdami sana sumoporta sa mga pinoy musicians na deserving. hehehe! kaya naten to mga kapatid! 
Please read our Service Policy.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2008, 08:37:14 AM »
I have been playing for the past 6 days sa isang lounge na nag-ngangalang "Misty's".

Maganda tong lounge na to, daming tao parati...it's always good to play in front of crowd, especially an appreciative one. Yun nga lang, pang-showband ang tugtugan.

We do have the occasional blues song or two in our repertoire. Songs like "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles and "Something to talk about" which I consider more commercialized blues, but still in the bluesy vein. Also recently incorporated "Oye Como Va" by Santana. And before that, tinutugtog na din namin ang "Smooth"...both good songs pero pang ballroom na crowd ang mga songs na yun. :-D

Nevertheless, here was my chance to "rock out and rock hard"  :lol:. And the crowd is always enjoys our sets. Guitar players always come out and compliment me on my tone and playing and I always get to talk shop with most of them--some of them even own Custom Guitar Businesses---so you would never know.

Being in a showband, we were all required to sing one or two songs...I made my band happy, somehow learning how I'm able to sing(in tune)...they gave me a few song choices...ngak...I had to learn songs by Usher(my boo), One Republic(apologize) and stuff like that.

Well, I suppose...I'm not doing too bad with those songs(I always hook up with a hot looking chick almost after every gig)...But I only did those songs so that I could somehow convince my band to do songs that I like to do.

added songs were...Pride and joy, Mustang Sally, Hard to Handle, Purple Rain and Superstitious(SRV version).

Now I admit I can carry a tune, but I'm really insecure when I attempt songs that are more bluesy. Thank God I can hide behind a guitar!

Well last night, there was a black chick...Who seemed very happy, everytime I would come up to sing the Blues songs in our set.

She was hollerin' pretty loud during Purple Rain-- which in my opinion is what Hendrix would've sounded if he turned pop. It didn't hurt at all that was wearing a bandanna and 'marching band' inspired jacket.

Then i went threough my whole repertoire of SRV songs--which was only 2 songs! :lol: and Mustang Sally. :lol:--where the crowd would start line dancing.
The band were forced to do it because the chick kept requesting me to sing/play the blues and was sending the band drinks/shots and tips.

Later on, I found out that the chick was divorced! :-o...and she was fine, fine, fine.

I had to talk to her--proper 'show'band etiquette lang yun. And I didn't get any indecent proposals....but she kept telling me how good my band was...and how I had a lot of soul....

needless to say, I got lucky with a blonde chick that night(in my dreams!)...but I was smiling from ear to ear when I got that compliment. It surely made my night!!!!!

di ba may asawa ka na Jon? hala ka !!!  :evil:
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2008, 06:45:27 PM »
kaya nga in my dreams eh....or was i drunk that night? hhhhhmmmm :roll:

Offline xavier

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2008, 12:05:37 AM »
tanong lang. are filipinos easily contented o we just dont care that much o we all have a short attention span?

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2008, 02:24:28 AM »
in regards to what sir?

Offline xavier

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2008, 02:11:26 PM »
stuff. mga issue. bagay-bagay  :-)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2008, 11:53:22 PM »
uhm please be more specific...if you can, give me an example.

Offline xavier

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2008, 07:57:18 PM »
na. you dont need an example. just take the "masayahin ang pinoy" case and doubt it. masayahin nga ba or just too lazy to care?

Offline hiskoolstudes

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2008, 08:22:30 PM »
na. you dont need an example. just take the "masayahin ang pinoy" case and doubt it. masayahin nga ba or just too lazy to care?

IMHO....

pinoys have just too much to take care of by themselves to care...

now kung yung mga tambays sa kanto ang tinutukoy mo... they're not just equipped to care. :)
LF:
Ibanez Musician Bass

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2008, 05:29:17 PM »
yang mga tambay natin na kabababayan ang magaling sa 'blues'....kwatro kantos, alas dos pa lang ng hapon...lango na. :-D

william251082

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2008, 06:33:16 PM »
yang mga tambay natin na kabababayan ang magaling sa 'blues'....kwatro kantos, alas dos pa lang ng hapon...lango na. :-D
Ano yung lango?

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2008, 01:51:05 PM »
lango is another word for lasing. :-D

Offline blackwingchai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2008, 09:22:22 AM »
share ko lang mga sir, how filipinos known for their musical prowes,
 noong ako'y na sa singapore, sakay ng star cruise virgo, merong mga activity sa loob and 80% ng crew eh pinoys, so athome na at home ako, one of the event person dun she invited me to join the videoke contest, so sumali naman ako, hehhhe, nung ako na yung kakakanta eh, nung nalaman ng kasama ng japanese/korean contestant na i am a filipino, saying to their freind "he's a filipino you gonna loose hahhaha" and yep a filipino won but not me hahahahaha.
ganun katindi ang mga pinoy sa music grabe kinakatakutan......

salamat
MAKE ME SICK I MAKE MUSIC