hulika

Author Topic: Benefit concert for a blues bro...  (Read 31748 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Benefit concert for a blues bro...
« on: May 31, 2006, 09:54:02 AM »
My close friend, kumpare, and bandmate, Egay Imperio, is ill.  He has hyperthyroidism with complications that cause his heart to fibrillate.  Thus he gets easily fatigued and has been out of work the past year/months.  Sad thing is that he doesn't really have much material wealth. You'd be surprised at how someone so talented and generous could live so simply.  (Pero sa non-financial, he is the most generous guy I know. He will willingly give or lend you whatever he has -- whether music, knowledge, advise, etc. He's very intellectual and has a good, pure soul.  Role model ko itong taong ito.).

Egay is the harmonica player of the legendary 70s blues rock band, Labuyo (which originally sang Tuloy Pa Rin and Batugan). He has sessioned w/ the country's top artists the past decades.  He played harp on (my former band) Soul Dredgers' one and only commercial recording. He is the resident blues harpist of Soul Benders and he and I have done many duets in concert, gigs, and radio.  

I'm thinking of putting together a benefit concert to raise funds to help him with his medical costs and other needs.  I will talk to some friends who are into producing shows. Maybe QC venue since he has a lot of friends here. Or it could be a series of shows all around Metro Manila para marami ma-raise na funds.  Depende sa reaction.

Guys, if you wish to support, please post here how you might help -- whether to help organize, play w/ ur band, or just watch the show. Others (especially expats/Fil-Ams) could also just donate directly.  All net proceeds will go to Egay.  I'll figure out how the money can be received by his wife, Mimay, directly.  If you wanna give me advise on how to organize this, pls PM me.

Jim (pinoymusika) - Do you know how I can contact Mon Espia so the Labuyo guys can get involved?

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 11:59:32 AM »
Joric, Egay is a family friend nang side ng wife ko. Tell him that The Perez and Jabrica family extends their regards. Na meet ko na yata si Egay in one of my wifes family reunions. To help out Egay, may wife and me are willing to give our support.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 01:02:46 PM »
we'd like to help. kaya lang Sisig isnt exactly a blues or jazz band. hanap na lang kami ng ibang paraan.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 01:06:39 PM »
Thanks, guys. I'm sure he will appreciate it.

BTW, Tom "Tomcat" Colvin of Lamapano Alley calls Egay the best naturally talented Pinoy blues harpist.  Tom's style is more pop-jazzy whilst Egay is more hardcore Chicago blues.  Check out some of his work in the clips in my soundclick, the ones with Soul Benders at the Blues Summit in Peps Alabang.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 01:16:41 PM »
Ayun, just spoke to my wife. Egay pala is their relative in the 2nd degree. Bali yung uncle nang wife ko napangasawa Imperio. Egay was at the 50th wedding anniversary nang uncle nang wife ko last year sa Philippine Plaza. Bihira sila maka sagap nang balita kay Egay, I hope the condition is not serious. Do you know how to get in touch with Egay? Kindly PM me na lang.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 01:52:27 PM »
Quote from: stringman
Ayun, just spoke to my wife. Egay pala is their relative in the 2nd degree. Bali yung uncle nang wife ko napangasawa Imperio. Egay was at the 50th wedding anniversary nang uncle nang wife ko last year sa Philippine Plaza. Bihira sila maka sagap nang balita kay Egay, I hope the condition is not serious. Do you know how to get in touch with Egay? Kindly PM me na lang.

stringman  -  u got pm.

to me the condition is serious because fibrillation can cause heart attack any time. anyway, if you your not strong enough to work, to me that's serious because your quality of life and health will surely suffer in the long run (if it hasn't already).

Offline tolits

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 10:32:20 PM »
Para kay Egay, sama ako diyan!
I also offer my prayers for him.

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 04:24:48 AM »
sir deltaslim, my prayers for mr.Egay..sir if the benefit event is open for non-blues band..i can request our band Solace to perform, since our guitar player is a blues fanatic din..and basta for a cause,mas maganda nakakatulong din..kung strictly blues event talaga siya, ok lang..i can invite friends to watch the show to support the needs of Mr. Egay. GOD bless!
John 3:16

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 08:36:04 AM »
tnk u tolits and rodney.

in addition to soul benders, snakecharmer is also in. i will ask plug if they wanna join in too, pero malamang in din yun.  anyway, if other bands are interested, we can do a part 2 in another venue.  ok din ung 3-4 bands para mas may time for open jams, which seems to attract people to come.  in which case, of course invite ko lahat ng Pinoy Blues Club people.

now i need to talk to people who can help produce the show.

i'll report back later...

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 10:36:32 AM »
Got your PM Delta thanks! I'll join the free jam if ever. My wife will get in touch with Egay.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 01:48:50 PM »
UPDATE:

Ok, we have Egay's blessing na. Sabi nya he doesn't know what to say except appreciate what we're trying to do for him. He's glad there are friends in the blues/gtr community like you.

Next step is to plan the show na.  Some bands are already signed up: Snakecharmer, Plug, Bronx St Blues Band, Soul Benders, I guess that's more than enough na.  Let's leave time for open jam din.  

I will try to target Conspiracy for the first salvo.  Will talk to Yna na.

Will post any news here.

Offline PLUG

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 04:20:58 PM »
gud pm sir delta slim! syempre sama kami dito, paki-inform na lang kami about the details. para kay sir egay! blues power!
Tonight we dine in Hell!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/plugbandrocks
ym /Friendster:plugrocks@yahoo.com http://www.rakista.com/plug http:www/odysseylive.net/plug http://plugband.multiply.com/ add us on facebook...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 09:09:10 AM »
Quote from: PLUG
gud pm sir delta slim! syempre sama kami dito, paki-inform na lang kami about the details. para kay sir egay! blues power!

yes, chester, di ko kayo nakalimutan...

pare, request namin ni reuben at alwyn sa set list nyo: tugtugin nyo at least 3x yumg compo nyo? ano nga ba title nun?  panalo eh!!

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 09:27:01 AM »
hmmm.. i dont have a band right now, how can i help?  :)
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 09:44:53 AM »
Quote from: progressive_pilipinas
hmmm.. i dont have a band right now, how can i help?  :)

If and when it happens, you can just go the the show and watch, or jam.  Paying the entrance, ordering food and drinks is all we're asking most people to do.  We already have enough musicians/bands for the gig for now, altho more are welcome for possible future concerts.

On the other hand, certain bands have offered to donate part of their cd sales  to Egay.  Obviously, this is much appreciated also.  Simply donating money directly is fine.  We can have a donation box at the gig too.

I will get his or his wife's bank acct info and post here just in case busy people can't come to the gig but want to just donate money for his medical expenses and other needs.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 10:04:38 AM »
We tried to call Egay pero wala sumasagot sa celfone.

Offline ynagirl

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 11:19:06 AM »
Hi!  Sure, we'd be more than happy to have the benefit show at Conspiracy.  Actually madalas magkaroon ng iba't-ibang benefit show dun. Yun nga precisely ang driving force that keeps the place afloat- musicians helping each other out sa oras ng pangangailangan. Conspiracy is owned by musicians Gary Granada, Cooky Chua, Joey Ayala, Cynthia Alexander, Bayang Barrios, Noel Cabangon and more than a hundred other people, karamihan din nasa music industry.  "Co-inspire" nga daw ang ibig sabihin ng pangalan ng bar and sa totoo lang ganun talaga ang nangyayari dun.  This is a great idea and as much as Egay has inspired other musicians because of his talent and his attitude, yung willingness naman ng mga tao to help him, will, in turn, inspire others and maybe even Egay himself.  

Yna

P.S.  There is a great website na kakabasa ko lang at magandang pagkunan ng inspiration on Communitarianism.  Gawa ni Gary Granada.  Check niyo  http://garygranada.com
full access and free downloads at http://garygranada.com
share and sell your songs at
http://bagongkanta.com

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 11:46:21 AM »
Quote from: ynagirl
Hi!  Sure, we'd be more than happy to have the benefit show at Conspiracy.  Actually madalas magkaroon ng iba't-ibang benefit show dun. Yun nga precisely ang driving force that keeps the place afloat- musicians helping each other out sa oras ng pangangailangan. Conspiracy is owned by musicians Gary Granada, Cooky Chua, Joey Ayala, Cynthia Alexander, Bayang Barrios, Noel Cabangon and more than a hundred other people, karamihan din nasa music industry.  "Co-inspire" nga daw ang ibig sabihin ng pangalan ng bar and sa totoo lang ganun talaga ang nangyayari dun.  This is a great idea and as much as Egay has inspired other musicians because of his talent and his attitude, yung willingness naman ng mga tao to help him, will, in turn, inspire others and maybe even Egay himself.  

Yna

P.S.  There is a great website na kakabasa ko lang at magandang pagkunan ng inspiration on Communitarianism.  Gawa ni Gary Granada.  Check niyo  http://garygranada.com

Great stuf, Yna!  Thanks  (I replied to your email; pls check.  When all's settled, I'll post here more details of the benefit. Thanks!)

Offline PLUG

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 03:56:32 PM »
Quote from: deltaslim

pare, request namin ni reuben at alwyn sa set list nyo: tugtugin nyo at least 3x yumg compo nyo? ano nga ba title nun?  panalo eh!!

thank you very much sir delta! "blooze" ung title ng kanta. he,he.. sige sir basta ba tutugtugin mo rin ung "bagong barrio" ng 3x e! :D  di ba si sir egay ang nag-harp dun? thanks for including plug in this benefit concert for mr. egay imperio. all of us in the band are very honored.
Tonight we dine in Hell!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/plugbandrocks
ym /Friendster:plugrocks@yahoo.com http://www.rakista.com/plug http:www/odysseylive.net/plug http://plugband.multiply.com/ add us on facebook...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 04:56:03 PM »
Quote from: deltaslim

thank you very much sir delta! "blooze" ung title ng kanta. he,he.. sige sir basta ba tutugtugin mo rin ung "bagong barrio" ng 3x e! :D  di ba si sir egay ang nag-harp dun? thanks for including plug in this benefit concert for mr. egay imperio. all os us in the band are very honored.

siya nga!  di pa ako sanay sa process ng studio recordings nun (as if naman sanay na ako ngayon, lol!) so i asked egay to lay down about 2 or 3 tracks on harp kasi naubusan na ako ng gagawin sa gitara! so yung iba harp rhythm and fills. ung isa ad lib nya.  siya nga ang angat dun sa mix e!

ur welcome, bro. egay really appreciates it.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 05:18:42 PM »
UPDATE:

It's set!! July 6 na po sa Conspiracy, starting at 8pm. Show will be entitled "Blooze Night: A Benefit Concert for Egay Imperio."

Attention pinoyblues.org guys, let's do this as a group, our first gig.  Ok din buena mano for a good cause.  Let me know if this is ok. I wanted to bring this up sa proposed mtg sa last Blues Night pero di na kami nakapag-meet... na-mesmerize na sa tugtugan eh.

We need help in the following ways:
- design of flyers and posters
- printing of flyers and posters
- disseminating/posting the flyers and posters in appropriate areas and venues
- spreading the word through your personal and virtual networks!
- drum set for the night (kahit simple lang)... (best if one of the bands offer their drumsets for use that night)
- others? (pls suggest what else is needed... di ako expert sa pag-prod ng shows)

Lineup of bands offering their talents for free:
- Soul Benders
- Plug
- Snakecharmer
- Bronx St Blues Band (TBC)

Nag-oo din sa akin ang Blue Rats (thru one of their members) pero TBC pa. Pero baka sa ibang venue na lang sila kasi dami na bands sa July 6 at malaking group sila e, baka di kasya sa Conspi!  Anyway, marami namang hatak yan, kaya magset ng sila or dalawa lang eh.  Samahan na lang ng Soul Benders para instant tone party :-)  Any suggestions for a venue for Blue Rats + Soul Benders gig?

Conspiracy has agreed for us to charge P120 for entrance. All proceeds go directly to Egay.  We will put a donation box at the music area entrance also for those willing to contribute more than just the gate.

Guys, feel free to PM me if you have suggestions on how to help or make this successful.

Salamat ng marami!

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 08:11:18 PM »
ngayon ko lang nabasa to.

let's set a meeting. magandang starting point to for the club.

i'll ask around for venues
Surf's Up!

Online af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 02:44:24 AM »
i can do the design of the posters/flyers and its printing. the disseminating i'm not sure i can do.

i would just need a picture (or pictures) of egay. should you have any, please email them to me at: af_villaruel@yahoo.com

i'm not really acquainted with him, but you guys know that blues communities are ones that help and support each other. tignan nyo na lang ung players ng crossroads festival ni clapton... "family" ika nga.  :wink:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 03:35:11 PM »
any suggestions on when?  i'm open most weeknites.

FYI, lang... someone PM'd and volunteered to do PR/write a press release and try to get it published in a major daily.

thanks guys.

Offline Avayaman

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 03:05:14 AM »
let's set a meeting then, i'm ok on evenings and early afternoons. should we PM you our cellfone numbers? will this be the official thread?