hulika

Author Topic: Cymbal Care and Maintenance thread  (Read 152258 times)

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Cymbal Care and Maintenance thread
« Reply #275 on: February 11, 2008, 09:59:10 AM »
ano po para sa inyo ang the best panglinis ng cymbals? rate kaya natin ano maganda base sa mga experiences ninyo. thanks!

1. branded cleaners
2. kerosene
3. turtle wax
4. soaking w/ baking soda
5. glo (myth: nakakasira ng cymbals)
6. cloth only
7. others

para sa akin, kung maglilinis ka lang rin ng cymbal eh branded cleaners or hot water + baking soda na. bakit ka naman magtataya sa mga panglinis na baka naman eh masyadong matapang at baka makasira pa sa cymbal di ba?

kaso personally, wag mo na lang linisin. siguro punasan kung kadiri na, kaso otherwise pabayaan na lang. yung 18" SH Thin Crash ko nga, talagang sadya kong dinudumihan para bumilis tumanda e.

Offline rastah

« Reply #276 on: February 11, 2008, 12:01:25 PM »
nakakasira ba talga or nakakanipis yung glo kasi nag tataka rin ako bakit naman yung buckle na pang cat and nipisnipis nun di naman nasisira
Im stoned... Peace Out and Jah Bless

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #277 on: February 11, 2008, 02:19:02 PM »
di lang naman sa pagnipis lang e... baka matarnish yung bronze o malagyan ng layer ng grasa o ano na makakapagbago sa tunog. basta ako di ko na lang gagalawin yung cymbal. tunog naman importante hindi istura e.

Offline rhanen28

• Veteran Member
« Reply #278 on: February 11, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »
hmm yung zildjian cleaner ko kinain yung mga linya sa cymbals ko
Be a part of drumnation!
www.drumnation.tk!!

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #279 on: February 11, 2008, 06:14:02 PM »
hmm yung zildjian cleaner ko kinain yung mga linya sa cymbals ko

What cymbal models do you have?  And how did you clean it?

Offline rhanen28

• Veteran Member
« Reply #280 on: February 11, 2008, 07:48:56 PM »
ni-try ko kasi sa ZBT Ride nung nililinis ko eh paikot lang tapos na notice ko sa isang part eh parang nawawala na at pumangit ung itsura ng ride ko

ill try to post pictures later
Be a part of drumnation!
www.drumnation.tk!!

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #281 on: February 12, 2008, 03:59:53 AM »
As far as I know, Zildjian's cymbal cleaner works best on their cast cymbal models.  I'm not sure, I'll look for my bottle then read what's said on the label...

Offline wackybong

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #282 on: February 12, 2008, 09:23:05 AM »
rhanen, subukan mo lang buff ng tuyong basahan, hangang kumintab at mawala yun itim, wag mona lagyan ng cleaner, buff mo lang sya ng basahan na tuyo

Offline rhanen28

• Veteran Member
« Reply #283 on: February 12, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »
ganun nga ginawa ko
Be a part of drumnation!
www.drumnation.tk!!

Offline rhanen28

• Veteran Member
« Reply #284 on: February 27, 2008, 10:55:58 PM »
@drumster:

heres the pic sorry kung ngayon ko lang na ipost
Be a part of drumnation!
www.drumnation.tk!!

Offline rhanen28

• Veteran Member
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2008, 11:08:28 PM »

close up view po
Be a part of drumnation!
www.drumnation.tk!!

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #286 on: February 28, 2008, 01:34:31 AM »
I just visited Zildjian's website, and here's what they say about their Cymbal Cleaning Polish...

"If you love to clean your Zildjians, we just made it a lot easier for you. New cymbal cleaning polish will clean, polish and protect all your Zildjians, Cast or Sheet, Brilliant or Traditional Finish with the exception of ZXT Titanium." - http://www.zildjian.com/en-US/products/productDetail.ad2?catalogID=1042&typeID=0&productID=2098

So I stand corrected...  Their Cymbal Cleaning Polish can also be used for sheet-style cymbals.

Brand-new Zildjian cymbals have a thin, clear "factory protective coating", for protection purposes while it's on shipment, stocks, and music store showrooms/displays.  This is a temporary thing which "fades" in time.

Bro rhanen, how old is your cymbal (check your serial number)?  And was this the first time you used the Cymbal Cleaning Polish on your ZBT ride cymbal? 

I believe it wasn't the lathing (lines) that were removed from your cymbal.  It must be its protective coating.  And I think yours just got darker because of the accumulation of dirt and the elements.  If that's the case, then it's just normal. 

It also happened to me before, when I did my first Zildjian cymbal cymbal polishing, using their cleaner.  I thought I ruined my old A Custom's finish.  But what happened was I was actually removing the factory protective coating of my cymbal.

I hope this helps.  And if there are any more info or corrections, please post it here.  :-)

Here's some info from the web.  This is useful info for Zildjian cymbal owners...

What type of cleaner should I use on my Zildjian cymbals?

The Zildjian Cymbalsmiths feel that the sound of the cymbal actually improves with age even when you do nothing to them. However, if you choose to clean your cymbals we recommend using our specially formulated cleaner - Zildjian Cymbal Cleaning Polish. This can be used on all Zildjian Cast and Sheet cymbals except for ZXT Titanium.

For ZXT Titanium series cymbals, use only a small amount of water and/or water based window cleaners such as glass cleaner. Dry thoroughly after wiping with a damp cloth and watch the cymbals shine. Do NOT use any sort of acid based cleaners, including the new Zildjian Cymbal Cleaning Polish or old Zildjian Cleaning Products on ZXT Titanium Products.

Cleaning cymbals with any abrasive compound, such as metal cleaner can actually harm the cymbal and affect its sound. Using this abrasive cleaner can also result in damaging the logos and/or any factory protective coating. Using these types of products may void Zildjian's Warranty Policy.

Please note that Zildjian is not responsible for misuse or damage caused by any cymbal cleaning products not recommended by Zildjian. This includes all non-Zildjian made cymbal cleaning products. Cleaning cymbals with any abrasive compound, such as metal cleaner will actually harm the cymbal and affect its sound. Using this abrasive cleaner will also result in the removal of logos or printed material and/or any factory protective coating. You should never use metal cleaner on your cymbals. If your Zildjian cymbal is damaged through the use of non-Zildjian approved cleaning products or methods, we cannot consider replacing the cymbal.

Some helpful cleaning techniques:

Always use Zildjian Cymbal Cleaners sparingly. Less is more.

Work no more than a quarter of the cymbal at a time.

Avoid direct application of cleaner to and excess rubbing of logo areas.

Always follow the directions on the packaging.

Caution: Keep out of reach of children. Zildjian Cymbal Cleaning Polish may be an irritant to eyes, skin, mucus membranes and/or respiratory tract. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. In case of contact with eyes, flush thoroughly with water. If swallowed, drink three to four glasses of milk or water. Do not induce vomiting and call a physician immediately.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 01:39:13 AM by drumster »

Offline rhanen28

• Veteran Member
« Reply #287 on: February 28, 2008, 08:30:57 AM »

Bro rhanen, how old is your cymbal (check your serial number)?  And was this the first time you used the Cymbal Cleaning Polish on your ZBT ride cymbal? 
its JF 4633 18 i think nabili ko sya last june then nilinis ko after a month

I believe it wasn't the lathing (lines) that were removed from your cymbal.  It must be its protective coating.  And I think yours just got darker because of the accumulation of dirt and the elements.  If that's the case, then it's just normal. 

kung coating po yun bakit pag hinahawakan ko po parang ang kinis or flat na yung area?
Be a part of drumnation!
www.drumnation.tk!!

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #288 on: February 28, 2008, 06:32:33 PM »
JF... 2006 model.  So, the protective coat was still pretty fresh then.

I'm not sure with the ZBT Ride's lathing profile.  Maybe the actual cymbal really feels flat when touched.  And maybe there was already a dirt build-up prior to cleaning.  I'll see if I can check an actual ZBT Ride on display...

Offline autoexec

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #289 on: February 29, 2008, 03:56:10 AM »
@rhanen28
Ganyan talaga pag may natitira pang excess ng zildjian cleaner.
Ang gawin mo para sigurado, lagyan mo ulit ng cleaner (para
bagong cleaner, mahirap na kasi minsan tanggalin pag naiwanan
na ng matagal at natuyo na yung chemical) tapos punasan mabuti
ng malinis/tuyong basahan, tapos punasan mo lang ng punasan
hanggang sa mawala yung mark. Naka zbt din ako bro naexperience
ko din dati yan..

Offline rhanen28

• Veteran Member
« Reply #290 on: February 29, 2008, 09:54:58 AM »
triny ko sa bell ulit medyo nwala nga at kumintab
kaso ang daming basahan ang kinain ang gastos hehe

salamat sa mga tulong nyo :D
Be a part of drumnation!
www.drumnation.tk!!

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #291 on: February 29, 2008, 03:52:08 PM »
Yup it's really like that.  The cymbal cleaner is very strong.  The dirtier the cymbal, the dirtier the basahan.

When I clean my cymbals, I prepare to get dirty & naghahanda talaga ako ng madaming basahan.  I use my old, worn-out cotton socks as basahan, and it can also double as makeshift gloves.

Offline wipeout

« Reply #292 on: February 29, 2008, 04:27:47 PM »
what I do after cleaning the cymbal with the cleaner, I wash it with soap and water to remove the residue left by the dirt on the cymbal and the cleaning solution.  Then I wipe it off with a dry clean cloth.

Offline rhanen28

• Veteran Member
« Reply #293 on: February 29, 2008, 04:45:29 PM »
nilinis ko ulit

ang ginawa ko wash with joy and warmwater -> wipe dry -> cymbal cleaner

so ulitin ko hugasan ung cymbal i see pero nde ko pa nahugasan mas ok na kesa sa dating itsura though ung lathing ng ibang parte nawala na talaga  :cry:
Be a part of drumnation!
www.drumnation.tk!!

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #294 on: February 29, 2008, 05:08:03 PM »
what I do after cleaning the cymbal with the cleaner, I wash it with soap and water to remove the residue left by the dirt on the cymbal and the cleaning solution.  Then I wipe it off with a dry clean cloth.

Try also some Armor-All protectant.  After cleaning the cymbal with the cymbal cleaner, spray some Armor-All.  It removes residue easily and effectively.  Plus, it gives an added layer of protection.

Offline wipeout

« Reply #295 on: February 29, 2008, 05:13:22 PM »
haven't tried armor-all.  Next time I'll give it a try.  thanks for the tip.

Offline oliver_soh

« Reply #296 on: February 29, 2008, 11:14:30 PM »
curios lng: panu ung sa baking soda method of cleaning cymbals? halimbawa sa batya tpos hot water and then baking soda?ganun ba babad lang gagawin?gano naman katagal??? :?
"It's better to be consistent drummer and slower than to be fast and sloppy"

Derek Roddy. . .

Offline gerr4

« Reply #297 on: March 01, 2008, 01:24:19 AM »
mga sir anu pdeng gmitin sa pang linis sa DH stagg china.. la ako lam maxado sa mga finish finish.. pti sa scimitar cymbals.. thx :mrgreen:
Praise Him with drums and dancing...Praise Him with cymbals. Praise Him with loud cymbals."- Psalms 150:4-5

Offline autoexec

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #298 on: March 01, 2008, 03:10:48 AM »
curios lng: panu ung sa baking soda method of cleaning cymbals? halimbawa sa batya tpos hot water and then baking soda?ganun ba babad lang gagawin?gano naman katagal??? :?

10-20 mins bro... Ok to gawin bago mo lagyan ng cleaner, kasi matatanggal talaga yung mga nakadikit na dumi na hindi natatanggal ng basahan... pag linis mo ng cleaner ambilis kumintab.. :-D
Ganyan lagi method ko siguro mga every 2-3 months...
-babad sa baking soda
-tuyuin mabuti
-apply zildjian cleaner
-make sure na walang natirang excess ng cleaner sa cymbal

Offline gutblastgil

« Reply #299 on: March 02, 2008, 09:32:01 AM »
1st) I think the hot water and baking soda is a bad idea.. (no offense) because heat can make your cymbals weak and more prone to crack..

2nd) DW40 and Metal polish is also a bad idea coz it removes the first coating of your cymbal...

"dw40 can be used for patina applying small amounts on it and leave for a couple of minutes to make patina weak," then wipe it.

3rd) Groove juices zildjian cleaners and etc, are bad idea too coz it is composed also of chemicals which is simmilar to metal polishes...

<<<<<the BEST that worked for me>>>>

i know this may sound funny...

USE Johnson's BABY OIL!!!!

why use it?

DUHHH!!! because it has no chemicals... its natural and its very light... not only it weakens and removes patina and finger prints.. it also shines your cymbals.. of course after puting some amounts then you need to wipe it. some oil will be left making your cymbals shiny...

Do this once every 2weeks to a month... I have done this w/ my  A custom cymbals for freakin yrs now.. still shines like new and still has its luster and same coating un damaged...

I just want to share this to the people who cares for their cymbals like me..
hope it works for you also..

PEACE!!!! :mrgreen: