hulika

Author Topic: jazz desperate.. help appreciated..  (Read 34855 times)

Offline nashimoto

• Philmusicus Noobitus
sitti ba kamo?
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2006, 01:20:07 PM »
hmm.. what's wrong with sitti?
i kinda like jazz.. blues.. samba and all that sways moving feet thumpin rythm..
i recently bough a copy of sitti's album.. is it bad or not? im not sure but i kinda like it.. any comments? suggestions?
i wanna try playin blues.. jazz and bossa.. i wish i could learn na asap..
langyang trabaho ko.. after my leave siguradong hindi ko nnman makakalabit ang gitara ko!!!  :?
tcl tv.carrier ref.samsung dvd player.pioneer discman.asahi electric fan.orocan timba.orocan tabo.rambo tsinelas.kaypee sneakers.

Offline boyet

• Forum Fanatic
jazz desperate.. help appreciated..
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2006, 01:49:49 PM »
Quote from: jazzbo
Funny, I think its only in the Philippines were the word "Bossa" is used as a form of music. Everywhere else it was referred to as Bossa Nova ("the new beat" I think) which dates back to the 60's ... and ends there. Must be the hyperactive imagination of Sitti's handlers that titled her pop album "Cafe Bossa" (hardly any jazz to speak of in that album).

The term dates back to the early 60's sessions between guitarist Joao Gilberto and saxophonist Stan Getz. Crossed over into pop because of one vocal by Joao's then-wife Astrud Gilberto on "Girl from Ipanema". Astrud has a big career after that. The other big proponent of bossa nova was Sergio Mendes and the Brasil '66. Try downloading songs from Astrud Gilberto and Sergio Mendes during this period (as well as Stan Getz) for a flavor of what the real Bossa Nova sounded.

Bossa Nova itself is rarely used as a term anymore, or probably is in a retro sense. When Bong Penera put up Batucada in the 70's, he referred to his music as "samba". The album to get (if you can find it) is the first Bong Penera album that was relesed on the indie label Penny Rose Record (named after his mom). It was re-released on CD recently, I've seen a few copies in the SM record bars. Again that album has more Brazillian authenticity than Sitti.

But if you're into Brazillian chords and rhythms, check out all the music that has come out since then from that country and totally forget Sitti. I would recommend the recordings of Airto and Flora Purim (for their jazz influences - remember this couple worked with Chick Corea). For composition and arranging, Antonio Carlos Jobim. For the local scene, I'd recommend Nyco Maca who has a great understanding of Brazillian music (and sings in Portugese too).

+10 This is bassically caused by the ignorance of the people who are just in it for the commercial value and financial success. They don't even care if the terms they use are right or not. All they care about is "selling" without knowing even the history and proper knowledge or background on what they're doing. Sad to say but they're miseducating the people.

What's wrong with Sitti? She should be an image model or maybe some commercial model of some cosmetic products. She's probably good at projecting an image but that's all there is purely superficial.

The problem here in our country is that when you look good visually, physically...some sort of an eye candy....boom! You're a star! You'll probably be discovered and then trained as a singer or an actor, an instant celebrity (having caucasian blood will definitely help, far more important than having "real" talent).

Try to imagine if guys like Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, Ray Charles,Louis Armstrong or Wayne Shorter grew up here in the Philippines. They'll probably die selling taho or pushing cart shouting "Bakal, bote, dyaryo!
If it is art it is not for all. If it is for all it is not art. -SchoenbergQuestion: How do you make a million dollars playing jazz?Answer: Start with two million

Offline namida

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2006, 03:16:43 PM »
me needs to learn jazz... me wants to :)
"Ano man ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid, ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin" --Yano

Home Recordings ->> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=480230  My Band ->>

Offline jazzbo

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2006, 03:20:11 PM »
Gee did I come down too harsh on Sitti fans? :) I hope not. Well she is certainly a very pretty girl. The tunes are nice cover tunes, and she has a pleasant enough voice. Not a great voice, but pwede na. And the album is so popular that I hear it in the background of enough cafes, upscale bookstores, furniture stores and elevators.  I was in Powerbooks for a few hours looking for a book on Johnny Cash (I just saw Walk The Line on DVD) and they probably played the CD twice in a row. It's light, soothing and unobtrusive. Heck even I have the album (hey, i was curious).

But it pales in comparison to the real Brazillian music, so if you're looking for musical inspiration a little deeper than elevator music, there are many alternatives. Might as well go straight to the source... or for a local artist check out Nyco Maca, who has that Brazillian vibe down pat.

I'm probably kinder than this friend of mine who plays keyboards, who walked into an Odyssey and wondered aloud to the salesgirl who was that girl singing in the background. He thought she was flat. That turned out to be...

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2006, 03:27:10 PM »
we have to patronize our own.

sitti's okay.  the album is just a maiden offering, so we'll see what comes next...  at least she is a better alternative than to that "acoustic" crap that
is being spewed out on us..... makes for a refreshing change.....
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2006, 06:20:23 PM »
im sorry to burst your bubble. but shes not our own. she's money making industry's own advocate  8)

oh yeah.. whats up with covers? id rather spend 50 years of my life coming up with like 10 original songs rather than rushing and squeezing in someoneelse's music to complete my maiden album. just an opinion though  8)

oh and i cant find anything jazz about that mishka album.. cept for the COVERS. thats sad. wel at least for me.

my two cents!

Offline jazzbo

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2006, 08:29:33 PM »
Quote from: mahavishnu

oh yeah.. whats up with covers? id rather spend 50 years of my life coming up with like 10 original songs rather than rushing and squeezing in someoneelse's music to complete my maiden album. just an opinion though  8)

Hmmm. And where would jazz be without "covering" the standards?

For example:
"Summertime" - as covered by Herbie Hancock and Joni Mitchell
"My Foolish Heart" - as covered by John 'Mahavishnu' McLaughlin
"My One and Only Love" - as covered by John Coltrane
"Someday my prince will come" - as covered by Miles Davis
"Little Wing" - as covered by the Gil Evans Orchestra
"Body and Soul" - as covered by Coleman Hawkins
"Moody's Mood" - as covered by George Benson
"Spain" - as covered by Larry Coryell
"On Green Dolphin Street" - as covered by Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke
"Yardbird Suite" - as covered by Sadao Watanabe

Answer - as far as jazz is concerned, it's all in the *interpretation* and the *improvisation* :-) not necessarily the composition.

Offline boyet

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2006, 11:25:54 PM »
im sorry to burst your bubble. but shes not our own. she's money making industry's own advocate  8)

Considering the deep roots of brazillian music I think she'll be better off singing tunes usually sang by show bands. Her voice fits those tunes well.  :wink:

oh and i cant find anything jazz about that mishka album.. cept for the COVERS. thats sad. wel at least for me.

my two cents!

It's OK to include some covers (especially the standards) but you have to make sure that you're doing it with a new arrangement and interpretation and not because you ran out of songs to include in the album.
If it is art it is not for all. If it is for all it is not art. -SchoenbergQuestion: How do you make a million dollars playing jazz?Answer: Start with two million

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2006, 05:15:16 PM »
oops i think i hammered down the "covers" a bit too hard. what i was trying to say is... the only jazz these artists would be able to pin down are covers... but when they try composing or making their own "jazz" singles.. it sounds like your regular showband.

ofcourse with the exclusion of the gifted few.. a handful, theres johnny alegre, bob aves, koyang, aya yuson, joey v of majam and our rare jazz talents during the 70s

so i guess KENNY G IS JAZZ GOD.

sir jazzbo i'll give you +1000000000 for mahavishnu, miles , chick and coltrane =]

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: jazz desperate.. help appreciated..
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 02:52:43 PM »
Awww... go easy on Sitti, guys/gals.

She's one of the good guys.

She's ayt.

c",)
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2006, 04:05:43 PM »
ei.

hahaha sir aya, mula pinoyjazz hanggang philmusic na ung sitti talk ah  :-D

Personally? it's Tadao Hayashi's the WAVE together with CHico Hamilton's MYSTERIOUS MAIDEN that caught me ear to look for other stuff (Which obviously has bossa Screaming in your face)

Well it's into is-Bossa-Yes-No-Tama-Mali ung thread na, mapa topic muna..

Familiarize the ear with the almighty ii-V-I (or IIm-V-I for some) progression. Helps a lot in coming up with lines that are away from the usual 'safe' lines..  :-)

Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2006, 09:23:51 AM »
eh, ako yung knight in shining armor ng queen of bossa, eh.  :-D

Offline borgy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2006, 03:46:20 PM »
sige sir aya. ako naman yung horse. HIYYYAAAA!!! :-D
Gibson ES-335 dot Historic, 1978  Fender Sunburst Strat. Suhr Classic T. McNeill OM guitar, Yamaha APX7,Fender Ultralight, Brown Note 18w, Purkhiser Amp, Firebelly Deluxe Reverb,  Mad Professor Little Green Wonder, AYA Drivesta,

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2007, 10:48:12 AM »
EI....yay!

naunahan ako sa horse. cge ako ung taga linis ng lance mo sir Aya hahaha!

Happi New Year Forumites. :-D
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2007, 10:17:39 AM »
cge ako ung taga linis ng lance mo sir Aya hahaha!

So that makes you a squire, bro. Puwede rin shield bearer.  :-D
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2007, 09:43:59 AM »
ei.

yup sir. squire..fender. un. fender squire! hehehe

mukhang ma OT na naman tayo dhil sa knighthood ni Sir Aya  :-D
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2007, 12:32:53 AM »
man.. this thread is really helpful. keep em coming! i wanna learn jazz too :)

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2007, 12:57:34 AM »
whoa! this thread is still alive?  :-D
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2007, 09:04:34 AM »
ei.

oo nga, buhai pa!

Want to add sumthing too, nlimutan ko.

In the area of phrasing, momentarily break free (or at least try to)  from the usual 16th notes pattern and phrase like conversing. Ung parang nagsasalita - iba ibang accent and at some points rushed some points malumanay - then don't forget the rests. Notes are silver, rests are gold, 'ika nga.

You'll find the results more composed and thematic.
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline polar

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2007, 01:24:27 PM »
Marami akong natututunan mga sir.
Binabasa ko lang mga post nyo.
Punong puno ng mga aral. Ang husay.
Sana meron pa... :-D
"The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.”  - C S L

Offline polar

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2007, 11:29:38 AM »
mas marami ka matututunan when you transcribe the solos of the masters. study their approach to harmony. gayahin mo din lines nila. eventually you'll develop your own style. also keep on improving your improv even though people think you sound like say sonny rollins.

hope this helps.  :-)

Cge sir gagawin ko yan :-).
Salamat.

Sir diba sax player yan si sonny rollins? Mahirap ba gayahin sa gitara yung mga linya ng sax?

"The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.”  - C S L

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2007, 11:30:52 AM »
Mahirap.  :cry:

Kaya nga nasisira buhay ko, eh.

Pero nung nakuha ko na kung papaano mag-sweep pick, medyo dumale.

:-)

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2007, 11:32:17 AM »
aya!!! haha panood ko band mo kaninang umaga sa myx mga 3am. haha! sarap ng jam niyo! argh!
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2007, 11:33:57 AM »
alin to? yung wdouji sa show ni lourd?

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2007, 12:27:21 PM »
OT @aya_yuson: When you formed Wdouji, was Coco Bermejo your drummer ever since? Was Wdouji able to play with Majam on occasion? If yes, when were those occasions? Thanks!  :-)
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro