hulika

Author Topic: [OT] Just A Suggestion  (Read 5803 times)

Offline Kulas

[OT] Just A Suggestion
« on: July 28, 2007, 11:33:44 AM »
hello people of guitar central!

disclaimer: no offense meant to the affected parties, hehe.

suggestion ko lang ah, para lang maiwasang mapagtripan ng iba dito (me included, hehe) if anyone has a question about guitars, parts, gear, etc. and what they do, how they sound, and simple reviews (eg. what does a whammy bar do? or what is a locking nut? etc. etc.) kung kaya, i-google search nyo na lang muna. most probably naman may mga info na sa internet about those topics eh. kasi some people who can answer those questions also did their research on the net.

now kung experience-based yung question mo, ayun, ok lang siguro tanong yun dito.

yun lang, i'm not being mayabang nor am i trying to be a know it all snob. this is just a friendly reminder to do your homework first, hehe. para din maka-save ng extra space sa forum natin. rather than having your threads deleted by the mod squad, hehe. sayang din sa posts.

ok? please, don't flame me. be gentle, hahaha!

Offline borgy

• Veteran Member
Re: [OT] Just A Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 11:43:10 AM »
that is perfectly right.
Gibson ES-335 dot Historic, 1978  Fender Sunburst Strat. Suhr Classic T. McNeill OM guitar, Yamaha APX7,Fender Ultralight, Brown Note 18w, Purkhiser Amp, Firebelly Deluxe Reverb,  Mad Professor Little Green Wonder, AYA Drivesta,

Offline calvs

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »
i vote that this thread be made a sticky.  :-D

yes, nakakaawa nga yung mga nagpopost ng questions na gusto lang talaga magtanong then pagt-trip an lang. i suppose that all of us went through the same phase at some point in our lives. you won't get answers without asking, right?

but there are people who look down on those innocent people asking questions, no offense to those (heck, baka ganun din ako minsan) , so please save yourselves from embarrassment and research first.

peace.  8-)
esoteric; alternative rock-gazer: http://cerealbus.multiply.com/
FS:http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,216015.0.html

Offline Kulas

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 12:01:31 PM »
thanks guys. and yeah, so as to avoid na rin yung redundant topics na isang tanong isang sagot lang. madali lang naman mag-type ng keywords sa google eh, all it needs is a little creativity, hehe. and andaming help sites din sa internet.

sayang kasi hindi pa gaano ok yung search function dito. but who uses it anyway? dami jan basta makatanong lang eh, hehe. anyway, sige go lang, haha!

Offline nicemusic

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 12:11:24 PM »

to : Kulas

you are trying to be mayabang, and personally you are a snob... :-P :-P :-P

but you have a point there my friend... :-D :-D :-D

maybe they post just to gain number of posts? :? :? :?

but it aint hard to follow what you suggested and it is much wiser to just look it up to mr.google... :wink:

and instead of posting a question you can post something that all of us can share or shed light to something...

after all...

"it is better to give than to recieve"

Offline Kulas

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 12:13:49 PM »

to : Kulas

you are trying to be mayabang, and personally you are a snob... :-P :-P :-P

but you have a point there my friend... :-D :-D :-D

maybe they post just to gain number of posts? :? :? :?

but it aint hard to follow what you suggested and it is much wiser to just look it up to mr.google... :wink:

and instead of posting a question you can post something that all of us can share or shed light to something...

after all...

"it is better to give than to recieve"

uy! long time no post ah joseph! hahaha. snabero ba ako? hahaha.

Offline nicemusic

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 12:22:20 PM »

from my experince...

sumtym'z...

ha ha ha...

musta?

taray ng mga suggestions mo bro, cant help but butt-in...

but its good for the forumers para mabawasan yung thread lists and make reading threads user friendly lalo na pag dial-up...

nasa net naman most informations...

or baka tamad lang magsearch... he he he

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »
unfortunately, ilang beses na natin sinabi ito pero di sumusunod ang marami.   nasa rules na nga e pero wala pa rin.

since nasa rules na yan, let's just try to create an environment where it can be better enforced.   ang suggestion ko let's not spoonfeed them in order to induce the "appropriate behavior": just tell people who don't do their homework to, well, do their homework and don't answer their question.  or let's just ignore them till they're forced to pull their own weight.

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 01:20:13 PM »
eh kasi mga newbies na kasasali lang ...karamihan dont bother to read the rules thread and the faq thread eh....

Offline nicemusic

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 01:27:37 PM »

youre right Delta we have some good rules na, problema na lang self re-inforcement...

first rule for newbies to observe in any environment should be to "observe"

and then follow...

after sometime na yung breaking the rulez... he he he... :-D

Offline IncX

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 05:55:55 PM »

i noticed a lot of newbies are first time forum joiners and because of that they do not know basic forum etiquette.

please click on this:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 05:58:36 PM »
huwag na i-sticky :-o :-D
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 07:09:16 PM »
one thing's for sure. this thread will not be the last of its kind that will ever be posted here. lol!
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 08:33:22 PM »
maybe theres some way to parang...when a newbie joins...they have to read the rules thread and have no access muna to the rest of the forum...then after reading the rules..may short quiz....pag pumasa sila sa quiz...they get access to the rest of the forum...pag nde pumasa, read and try again nalang...

suggestion lang naman....

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 08:57:23 PM »
kasi yata yung mga new members, hindi nila alam kung gaano ka important yung rules and regulation dito sa forum kaya di nila binabasa.

suggestion to board owner. alam ko pwede ka mag set ng message on registration parang terms and condition then may checkbox and 2 options na  "i agree" or "not agree" kailangan mag agree muna para maka register. ilagay dun sa message na dun yung rules and regulations para basahin muna nila bago makaregister

Offline maniacally_cool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 11:16:32 PM »
however, pede rin nila i-click ung "i agree" without reading anything.

mahirap rin kasi. ung ibang newbie magtatanong, tapos meron pa ring old members na sasagot kahit alam nilang may ganong discussion na.

+1 na lang dun sa mga nadi-direct sa appropriate thread by replying with a link.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 11:54:56 PM »
ho-hum... i tried all sorts of ways to inform the newbies to search first in Google or whatever before posting a relatively nonsensical thread here. aba, eh humingi pa ng links yung iba sa akin para masagot yung tanong nila! don't get me wrong ha, i help out most of the time but there are times when you've already seen too much "ano ba ang best distortion pangmetal?" or "ano ba yung shred?" threads.

i'll start to delete these types of threads at my discretion. ok ba kayo dun?
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline obelix

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 04:14:27 AM »
suggestion lang rin, kung ayaw niyong sagutin yung mga newbie na question eh di huwag. para saan pa itong forum na ito kung hindi puwedeng magtanong ang newbies.

A more objective solution is to fix the search function... para puwede kang mag individual search per topic. Another action that can be done, stricter moderation, i-sanction yung mga bastos sumagot para hindi na maulit.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 07:35:44 AM »
No offense to the people making suggestions. I know you mean well, but whatever you're saying, they've already been brought up before. Even before repetitive topics started to become annoying to the moderators (as well as the older members who were always eager to share their guitar wisdom). As you can see, there's been lots of progress since then. :lol:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 07:37:30 AM by Al_Librero »
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 07:48:20 AM »
suggestion lang rin, kung ayaw niyong sagutin yung mga newbie na question eh di huwag. para saan pa itong forum na ito kung hindi puwedeng magtanong ang newbies.

A more objective solution is to fix the search function... para puwede kang mag individual search per topic. Another action that can be done, stricter moderation, i-sanction yung mga bastos sumagot para hindi na maulit.

di naman mawawalan ng newbies eh... but this forum is not google, nor wikipedia, nor the boss/fender/marshall website. if a newbie, or anyone for that matter, doesn't have the basic skills to do research when in need of information, jeez, i can't imagine them getting anywhere in their career, much less their guitar playing. 

i'm telling you guys...  any forum that progressively and continuously dilutes the substance of discussions will eventually lose its core members -- people who are committed, loyal, supportive, and do their own homework.  such members are looking for interesting, intriguing, innovative, informative, and cutting edge topics and discussions.  one sure-fire to dilute the substance of discussions is to keep rehashing topics and questions that are non-technical, off-topic, plain common knowledge/common sense, or just stuff that can easily researched on the web if only people weren't lazy.  and when a forum loses its core members, who will newbies turn to when they want real knowledge and sharing of tips, lessons, best practices, experiences?  when newbies can't get any of that from the forum, they will also leave.  i guess you know how it all ends...

Offline IncX

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 09:43:17 AM »

heres a solution:

FLAME THEM

yup yup... ive been itching to flame them about how stupid they are.

look, i was 14 years old once... i was ignorant, even more so compared to other newbies... but at least i ASKED ppl and READ MAGAZINES instead of showing the internet world how devoid of information i was.

look, if those newbies dont have anywhere to go and cant search google for squat... they deserve to be flamed.

thats just me. starting now, ill be flaming newbies... unless they ask me over YM or something... and if im not busy, i can answer before they get too kulit and i have to put them on ignore.

Offline Kulas

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 09:47:08 AM »

heres a solution:

FLAME THEM

look, i was 14 years old once... i was ignorant, even more so compared to other newbies... but at least i ASKED ppl and READ MAGAZINES instead of showing the internet world how devoid of information i was.

look, if those newbies dont have anywhere to go and cant search google for squat... they deserve to be flamed.

thats just me. starting now, ill be flaming newbies... unless they ask me over YM or something... and if im not busy, i can answer before they get too kulit and i have to put them on ignore.

well medyo extreme measure naman na yata yan. mangyayari jan eh they'd get the idea that philmusic isn't accommodating to newbies. we're not saying that it's wrong to ask questions, just not those which are easily answered by a google or wiki or even a youtube search.

Offline IncX

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2007, 09:52:57 AM »

heres a solution:

FLAME THEM

well medyo extreme measure naman na yata yan. mangyayari jan eh they'd get the idea that philmusic isn't accommodating to newbies. we're not saying that it's wrong to ask questions, just not those which are easily answered by a google or wiki or even a youtube search.

we are friendly, yes. but cmon... ppl who blindly click on "start topic" deserve fire.

i for one, even search some topics... and if i cant, thats when i post topics with the title "i tried searching, but i cant find topic X"

how about this... i play bad cop, you guys play good cop? hehehehe...

i think ppl learn better when they experience consequences of some sort... i got flamed before... thats why im extra careful with my comments now. it was a good flame cause the issues were resolved. newbies need to experience something like that too. im sure, after being flamed, they would search google before they ask STUPID QUESTIONS like "what is a whammy bar?"

Offline Kulas

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 10:06:32 AM »
we are friendly, yes. but cmon... ppl who blindly click on "start topic" deserve fire.

i for one, even search some topics... and if i cant, thats when i post topics with the title "i tried searching, but i cant find topic X"

how about this... i play bad cop, you guys play good cop? hehehehe...

i think ppl learn better when they experience consequences of some sort... i got flamed before... thats why im extra careful with my comments now. it was a good flame cause the issues were resolved. newbies need to experience something like that too. im sure, after being flamed, they would search google before they ask STUPID QUESTIONS like "what is a whammy bar?"

well it might work for some, not all. i guess we should practice a bit of tolerance before we resort to flaming. there are some that are really annoying to begin with, but then there are some who are just ignorant.

Offline jazhombie

• Board Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2007, 10:27:04 AM »
peace na.. tingin ko gusto lng nya magtanong sa mga experts(guitar central experts)... give newbies a chance to ask... nadadan naman lahat sa Pakiusap ta mahinay n usapan.. :-D :-D