hulika

Author Topic: EVANS vs REMO  (Read 7175 times)

Offline Mr.Floyd

EVANS vs REMO
« on: March 11, 2015, 03:51:59 PM »
Hi Guys,

Good day as always to all pinoy drummers here, first of all I have no idea if this already been a topic before so pardon if it existed.

Basically I know there is also one brand "Aquarian" that is for some that owned those before or current are their preferences but i will only include these 2 brands as I am only very familiar with this, I haven't had an Aquarian heads before.

I want to know your thoughts on this, yes I understand we have different ears and either on the 2 totally can't be counted out. But based on your hearings what do you prefer?
Thanks guys.

:)
The more you dream the more you achieve

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: EVANS vs REMO
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 05:53:27 PM »
Hi Guys,

Good day as always to all pinoy drummers here, first of all I have no idea if this already been a topic before so pardon if it existed.

Basically I know there is also one brand "Aquarian" that is for some that owned those before or current are their preferences but i will only include these 2 brands as I am only very familiar with this, I haven't had an Aquarian heads before.

I want to know your thoughts on this, yes I understand we have different ears and either on the 2 totally can't be counted out. But based on your hearings what do you prefer?
Thanks guys.

Each head is different, regardless of the brand, and ultimately it's all about personal preference.  :) So personally, I've liked more Remo heads on my snare (Fiberskyn 3, Emperor X, Coated Ambassador, vs Hydraulics, Power Center Reverse Dot), and more Evans heads on my toms (G2 vs Clear Ambassador). I'm looking to try Evans Onyx on the snare and toms, and Aquarian Response-2 on the toms.

I guess the better question to ask is "what heads do you prefer on your <drum here>?" Pag Evans vs. Remo kasi, hindi lahat "purist," especially because drum size, material, hoops, tension, etc also play a huge role on the final sound of the drum, unlike cymbals where the timbre mostly comes from the cymbal itself.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 12:49:13 PM »
i like aquarian and remo. evans is a little weird for me. di kami magkasundo talaga in way sa sound
 for remo emperor x tend to be a nice head for hard hitters with ringy snares,it tends to tame some overtones
but my go to snare head is ambassadors. in my masterworks i got all ambassador x excpet for the snare. 8-)

on my work i use aqauarian hi velocity for snare,performance 2 on the toms,sound like egoy toms on a stage custom kit
kick is the superkick 2,the best.

ive replaced the toms recently with evans g2.the heads where ok on the 10 and 12 but on the lows its a little weird for a 2 ply head. :|
josephmariosep.wordpress.com,josephmariosep instagram
Pwede naman magreply sa pm,libre naman serbisyo ng philmusic bat ang tamad niyo pa magreply sa mga offer niyo.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »
i like aquarian and remo. evans is a little weird for me. di kami magkasundo talaga in way sa sound
 for remo emperor x tend to be a nice head for hard hitters with ringy snares,it tends to tame some overtones
but my go to snare head is ambassadors. in my masterworks i got all ambassador x excpet for the snare. 8-)

on my work i use aqauarian hi velocity for snare,performance 2 on the toms,sound like egoy toms on a stage custom kit

ive replaced the toms recently with evans g2.the heads where ok on the 10 and 12 but on the lows its a little weird for a 2 ply head. :|
Sir ano yung egoy toms?  :-o

Aside from the controlled overtones, the Emperor X did give the illusion of adding a few more inches  :wink: to my snare. Sounds deeper and meatier  :wink:

I like the G2s on my rack toms, but I left the Ambassadors on the FT coz it sounds boomy when tuned up. Not sure I can get that with the G2s. I'll try a set of Response-2s on all toms.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 03:55:13 PM »

same thoughts. aquarian for kick ako.. SKII is the best there is. for the toms, remo pinstripes are cool, pero minsan dead na. okay na ako lately sa ambassadors tapos moongel nalang to taste.

snares, its either remo coated ambassadors, emperor X or Controlled Sound Revere Dot Coated.

for some reason, naweweirduhan ako sa evans. it doesnt sound right. :(
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 04:08:22 PM »

same thoughts. aquarian for kick ako.. SKII is the best there is. for the toms, remo pinstripes are cool, pero minsan dead na. okay na ako lately sa ambassadors tapos moongel nalang to taste.

snares, its either remo coated ambassadors, emperor X or Controlled Sound Revere Dot Coated.

for some reason, naweweirduhan ako sa evans. it doesnt sound right. :(

for some reason din parang naiintriga ako dun sa Evans Onyx na ginagamit as snare batter. I almost never see people use a Remo Ebony Emperor on as a snare batter (Ebony Pinstripes madalas). but recently I've been seeing Onyx on snares, and they do sound good; hindi naman wow, pero may body pa rin, nice thwack, and sounds great when micd up for the PA.

Offline Mr.Floyd

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 08:05:29 PM »
Hi mga sir, thank you very much for the welcoming responses, the real reason I posted the thread is I just purchased drumheads pero di ko pa naiinstall siya actually, I've been a remo user since before. I got Pinstripe on my kick and Ambassadors on Snare and coated on toms as well. It was good but for a change sometimes other brands intrigued you on how it will respond on your kit, so I've just bought all batters for my kit.

Evans Genera HD (not dry) snare
Evans EC2 Level 360 12 tom
Evans EC2 Level 360 13 tom
Evans EC2 Level 360 14 tom

I wonder how it will sound good on my kit, by the way my kit is DDRUM Diablo and my snare is Pearl Morgan Rose sig series.

Isa pa po pala, balikbayan kasi ako so I bought the heads here in other country and I am going back home soon so i'll be able to test this heads

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 02:38:35 PM by Mr.Floyd »
The more you dream the more you achieve

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 01:12:50 AM »
kuya sonic,tunog egoy means fast and articulate,ala tony royster type sound,hehe
its pinstripe sound but not dead.hehe :-P
not experienced sir with the ddrum series you said but evans 360 is easier to tune based from my students :wave:
Pwede naman magreply sa pm,libre naman serbisyo ng philmusic bat ang tamad niyo pa magreply sa mga offer niyo.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 10:19:40 AM »
kuya sonic,tunog egoy means fast and articulate,ala tony royster type sound,hehe
its pinstripe sound but not dead.hehe :-P
not experienced sir with the ddrum series you said but evans 360 is easier to tune based from my students :wave:

ahhh! hahaha my kind of sound! Tanong lang sir, ano yung difference ng Performance II sa Response 2? Parang parehong 7mil double ply lang, except si response 2 may black coating na option.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 11:40:14 AM »
Hi mga sir, thank you very much for the welcoming responses, the real reason I posted the thread is I just purchased drumheads pero di ko pa naiinstall siya actually, I've been a remo user since before. I got Pinstripe on my kick and Ambassadors on Snare and coated on toms as well. It was good but for a change sometimes other brands intrigued you on how it will respond on your kit, so I've just bought all batters for my kit.

Evans Genera HD (not dry) snare
Evans EC2 Level 360 12 tom
Evans EC2 Level 360 13 tom
Evans EC2 Level 360 14 tom

I wonder if it will sound good on my kit, by the way my kit is DDRUM Diablo and my snare is Pearl Morgan Rose sig series.

Isa pa po pala, balikbayan kasi ako so I bought the heads here in other country and I am going back home soon so i'll be able to test this heads

the ddrum has basswoodshells if im not mistaken. okay naman yung heads mo bro na evans. yung EC2 sounds like a pinstripe for me. the genera though, di ako comfortable sakanya. mejo kulang sa crack pero YMMV. i like my snare to be snappy talaga eh hence, coated heads na single ply lang ako. :D mejo may pag ka dead na kasi yan pag live. pag mic'ed syempre no problem.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 12:20:14 PM »
the ddrum has basswoodshells if im not mistaken. okay naman yung heads mo bro na evans. yung EC2 sounds like a pinstripe for me. the genera though, di ako comfortable sakanya. mejo kulang sa crack pero YMMV. i like my snare to be snappy talaga eh hence, coated heads na single ply lang ako. :D mejo may pag ka dead na kasi yan pag live. pag mic'ed syempre no problem.

di ko alam kung counted as single ply yung Fiberskyn, but generally yun lang yung hindi two-ply head na may saktong crack para sakin. Siguro kung may egoy toms si sir harugrugrug, ako gusto ko naman egoy snare, yung thick  sound na dala ng double ply heads.

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 04:31:06 PM »
ahhh! hahaha my kind of sound! Tanong lang sir, ano yung difference ng Performance II sa Response 2? Parang parehong 7mil double ply lang, except si response 2 may black coating na option.

it felt warmer papsi pero it doesnt feel right beacuse 2 plies are thick,hehe halos same lang sila for my ears. :|

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 04:51:58 PM »
it felt warmer papsi pero it doesnt feel right beacuse 2 plies are thick,hehe halos same lang sila for my ears. :|

that sounds good to me! always been a hard hitter on toms, iba yung tunog eh. I'll just see kung andun yung thwack na hinahanap ko. Sa Evans kasi wala, sa Ambassadors namanmasyado jazzy.  <_<

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 10:39:45 PM »
that sounds good to me! always been a hard hitter on toms, iba yung tunog eh. I'll just see kung andun yung thwack na hinahanap ko. Sa Evans kasi wala, sa Ambassadors namanmasyado jazzy.  <_<

hehe,good! kasi mapahigh or low tunog egoy e,ahaha.pero on the highs it sings pero fast lang pero may laman,not choked
yes ambassadors are jazzy in toms.yun ang nasa toms ko :wink:

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 09:49:08 AM »
hehe,good! kasi mapahigh or low tunog egoy e,ahaha.pero on the highs it sings pero fast lang pero may laman,not choked
yes ambassadors are jazzy in toms.yun ang nasa toms ko :wink:

para medyo bumalik sa topic, remo or evans coated single ply for tom batters? Most people would say Remo coated ambs get the upper hand for the sonic quality, but not for durability (coating and dents), especially for hard hitters.

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »
para medyo bumalik sa topic, remo or evans coated single ply for tom batters? Most people would say Remo coated ambs get the upper hand for the sonic quality, but not for durability (coating and dents), especially for hard hitters.

remo! for some reasons bro mas madali sakin itune and remo at aquarian. :-P

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 05:01:19 PM »
remo! for some reasons bro mas madali sakin itune and remo at aquarian. :-P

I will keep that in mind  :) If ever magbalik loob ako sa single ply. Though stock heads lang yung gamit ko dati (Remo UX clears) sobrang hirap ako magtune, puro dead thud, natrauma ako  :-(

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 12:02:38 AM »
well that's the thing. kaya ayaw ng karamihan sa remo kasi yung low end yung nagagamit nila then magpapalit sila ng ibang brand at yun all praises na sila sa next brand na yun.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 09:17:52 AM »
well that's the thing. kaya ayaw ng karamihan sa remo kasi yung low end yung nagagamit nila then magpapalit sila ng ibang brand at yun all praises na sila sa next brand na yun.

tama ka dyan sir, and not to mention hindi rin naman ganun kamura ang branded heads. Sa toms pa lang, at least 4 pieces na agad yun! Mahihirapan ang karamihan na magstick sa brand na magwork immediately for them.

That being said, mahal ko talaga ang Remo pagdating sa snare heads at reso heads  :)

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 09:55:09 AM »
weird pa nga yung trend ngayon e. ang mabenta yung dead sounding heads. black suede, hydraulics puro gawa ng evans

why? i dont get it. dead sound heads sound dead - always. good sounding heads can sound dead with muffling. sayang pera

sorry ot na

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »
weird pa nga yung trend ngayon e. ang mabenta yung dead sounding heads. black suede, hydraulics puro gawa ng evans

why? i dont get it. dead sound heads sound dead - always. good sounding heads can sound dead with muffling. sayang pera

sorry ot na

siguro para maibalik sa topic, Evans does make more "specialty" heads, mostly involving muffling or "focusing" the sound. sa tingin ko lang may  mga heads na ganun dahil maraming drummers ngayon ang tone-obsessed pero galing lang sa throne, hindi sa audience. At siguro abroad, di ko lang alam, mas may budget siguro mag mic ng bawat drum kaya mas favorable din ang use ng mas dead na heads for the thwack, not so much the boing. Parang 80s lang ulit!

OT: Hydraulics, hindi ko alam kung bakit sobrang benta nila. I'd understand its use as a snare batter for studio use, but for toms, not really. puro thud nga lang eh. Iniisip ko na lang yun nga parang sa 80s pinstripes + moongels and tape, pero ang hydraulics sobrang mas dead talaga kulang na lang ilibing!

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 12:23:36 PM »

sorry ot na

mabenta lang kasi nakasale LOL hahahahaha

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 01:32:24 PM »
mabenta lang kasi nakasale LOL hahahahaha

sa bagay 500 lang may Hydraulics ka na  :lol:

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 12:45:54 AM »
sa bagay 500 lang may Hydraulics ka na  :lol:

meron pa ba? haha,yes dead sound heads are dead,ayaw nila siguro maduming head nila ng tape.
parang mas ok ang shiny na a custom kahit puro white noise na lang siya compared sa beaten up
na nag open up na k crash,hehehe. pero cute tigna ang hydraulics na blue,maangas.haha

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 11:33:28 AM »
meron pa ba? haha,yes dead sound heads are dead,ayaw nila siguro maduming head nila ng tape.
parang mas ok ang shiny na a custom kahit puro white noise na lang siya compared sa beaten up
na nag open up na k crash,hehehe. pero cute tigna ang hydraulics na blue,maangas.haha

meron pa! at ngayon ko lang naisip: blue hydraulics + Pearl Crystal Beat na blue + gen16 = ultimate 80s drumkit!