hulika

Author Topic: Standard tuning on a baritone guitar  (Read 1509 times)

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
Standard tuning on a baritone guitar
« on: June 25, 2015, 06:04:28 PM »
Has anyone here tried this before?

My urge to buy one is really killing me. Got an offer that's really difficult to refuse. I could get a signature model for a fraction of its original price. We're talkin' about around 75% off! And the guitar is brand new. Yes, brand new. Old stock, actually. The guitar is really something and it is well-crafted. Reason being why I'm going gaga over this fine instrument.

But, here's the thing- am not a "chug-chug" kind of guitar player and low tuning is really not my cup of tea. In my career as a musician/guitar player, I have only used a 7-string twice and didn't even use the 7th string at all! ha ha ha! Baritone guitars are meant to be played in low/heavy key tunings sans the added bottom string/s. Here is where the dilemma or predicament comes in- I tune 97% of the time in standard E. Will standard tuning work on a baritone?

Thanks, guys!  :razz:
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Standard tuning on a baritone guitar
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 06:25:08 PM »
you could, based on a quick google search, but I suppose the feel is a bit tighter and meatier.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:27:08 PM »
Buy it and then sell it here? Hahah

Offline david_leyson

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 07:29:57 PM »
Has anyone here tried this before?

My urge to buy one is really killing me. Got an offer that's really difficult to refuse. I could get a signature model for a fraction of its original price. We're talkin' about around 75% off! And the guitar is brand new. Yes, brand new. Old stock, actually. The guitar is really something and it is well-crafted. Reason being why I'm going gaga over this fine instrument.

But, here's the thing- am not a "chug-chug" kind of guitar player and low tuning is really not my cup of tea. In my career as a musician/guitar player, I have only used a 7-string twice and didn't even use the 7th string at all! ha ha ha! Baritone guitars are meant to be played in low/heavy key tunings sans the added bottom string/s. Here is where the dilemma or predicament comes in- I tune 97% of the time in standard E. Will standard tuning work on a baritone?

Thanks, guys!  :razz:

Yeah I think you could, a Baritone guitar is tuned low hence the strings are on a higher gauge and at the same time the scale is longer than a standard scale(supposed it's a 26.5" while standard is 24.75"/25.5") well it will be really really tight if you equip it with a lower string gauge.
Faith Hope and Love, but the Greatest of these is Love.

Offline vantonilin

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 08:15:48 PM »
If Ibanez RGDs are considered baritone guitars, then I'd say it is absolutely to use standard tuning with them. With my limited experience with guitars, I don't feel or hear anything awkward with this setup.  :) Good luck!  :wave:

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 09:09:42 AM »
you could, based on a quick google search, but I suppose the feel is a bit tighter and meatier.

I see. So, it's going to be like stringing a regular-scale guitar with 11s, right? Thanks, man!
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 09:10:31 AM »
If Ibanez RGDs are considered baritone guitars, then I'd say it is absolutely to use standard tuning with them. With my limited experience with guitars, I don't feel or hear anything awkward with this setup.  :) Good luck!  :wave:

Nice! Thank you! :razz:

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 09:46:13 AM »
you could use a lighter gauge to be sure :D my only concern would be the pickup response.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 07:00:29 PM »
You shouldn't get a baritone if all you want is a standard tuned guitar. Baritone guitars were specifically made to make basslines pop out more in recordings. Try looking up tic-tac bass.

If you just want to play longer than standard scale for the tension, I'd understand but 28-30" is a bit overkill imo.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline horge

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 04:58:49 AM »
If you just want to play longer than standard scale for the tension, I'd understand but 28-30" is a bit overkill imo.

Just reading ^that made my arthritis act up.

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 08:34:24 AM »
You shouldn't get a baritone if all you want is a standard tuned guitar. Baritone guitars were specifically made to make basslines pop out more in recordings. Try looking up tic-tac bass.

It's actually a 26 1/4" guitar. Slightly longer than the standard scale.