hulika

Author Topic: "Massage the tone later" vs. "No turning back/Get it right during lay-in"  (Read 1030 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
With today's plugins and a myriad of signal splitters, DI boxes and MIDI, everything can be recorded dry (or at least, have a dry signal tapped along with the processed signal)  and eventually tone-massaged in the post.

However, some musicians argue that having too many fallbacks can get in the way of the creative process.  There can be option overload.  There can be a problem with dealing with mediocre sounds during tracking thinking that in can be fixed during post.

If you set up your rig for both approaches, (dry and processed simultaneously), it would take more time to do so.  In the case of MIDI that would be very easy, but for drums and guitars, that can be such a pain.  For drums you have to select the drum heads and tune them right, and alongside, you might wanna use triggers through a drum module so you can record the sampled sounds and MIDI.  For guitar, you would need a  Y splitter so one channel goes to a DI box, and the other goes to your rig.

I just wanna know the general trend in recording now.  Are you a "tone-massager" or a "no turning back" type of recordist?

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
for tv stuff, i just try to "get it right during lay-in".  tvc's and dvd's are different though, i would "tone massage" as i'm given a looser schedule.  so i guess i do both.

i sequence everythin else though, but guitar parts i absolutely need to record.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline irajames

• Veteran Member
tone massager mostly. but it would be nice to get everything right even without processing. there was this mixing contest i entered in another forum hosted by this big name studio and the raw tracks they provided sounded really good on their own. i didn't even feel the need to "massage" them.
Regards,
IraJames

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
The lay-in approach has its own magic. It's like when you reboot and get into mixing mode, then you go "put...wala pa ko ginagawa ayus na !"

Then again both approaches are not mutually exclusive so its really a scale from left to right.

I've learned and I guess most will agree, if you get it good straight from the mikes, the extra work prior pays off real well.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline irajames

• Veteran Member
true true. and not to mention na madalas lumabas ang lay in approach  in a perfectly acoustically treated environment, loaded with high end transparent pre amps and again: totally awesome microphones.
Regards,
IraJames