hulika

Author Topic: VST amp sims  (Read 2141 times)

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
VST amp sims
« on: September 29, 2014, 09:39:33 AM »
Hi folks, question lang po.

Quick background: I don't gig anymore, so I'm now your basic bedroom guitarist. Recently sold most of my gear and settled for playing my guitar through a Line 6 UX2 and Pod Farm 2.5 (basic version). Unfortunately, Pod Farm is clearly inferior to the Pod HD modelling in my old gear.

Question: What VST program would you recommend that's close to the Pod HD's in terms of sound quality and flexibility? I'm not going to do recordings, I just want to noodle around and have fun with it. I've heard good things about Amplitube3, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:13:46 PM by tapslore »
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: most natural sounding VST guitar amp/effects?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:24:22 PM »

Amplitube 3 for dirt sounds.

Guitar Rig 5 for a better recording sound.

Guitar Rig is easier to use though, but I run both on my laptop as they have different strengths.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 12:31:27 PM »

Amplitube 3 for dirt sounds.

Guitar Rig 5 for a better recording sound.

Guitar Rig is easier to use though, but I run both on my laptop as they have different strengths.

+2

I do prefer Guitar Rig 5 overall especially for recording, but for some reason I like Amplitube more as an amp sim (for air pushing cleans or Guitar Rig 5 "Marshall" head to Amplitube cab). Try to look for an old version of Shred when it was free, I liked some of the not so high gain dirts and convolution patches.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies, good stuff.

What about for low-gain, clean-sh dirt sounds (Rolling Stones to SRV) and fuzzy, wall-of-noise type sounds (Pearl Jam, Dinosaur Jr., STP, etc.)? The kind that has complex, musical-sounding distortion (NOT metal)?

Thanks ulit!
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 01:40:16 PM »

What about for low-gain, clean-sh dirt sounds (Rolling Stones to SRV) and fuzzy, wall-of-noise type sounds (Pearl Jam, Dinosaur Jr., STP, etc.)? The kind that has complex, musical-sounding distortion (NOT metal)?

Thanks ulit!

Raaaaalph!!  :lol: but the last time I checked, Amplitube sounded better in terms of that texture

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 02:11:24 PM »
Positive Grid Bias for Desktop :)

http://www.positivegrid.com/bias-desktop/

Although wala atang effects ito...
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 02:12:41 PM »

Thanks ulit!

OD sounds, I prefer Guitar Rig 5.

Fuzz, amplitube 3.

Distortion and amps, Amplitube 3.

Delay and Reverb, Guitar Rig 5.

if you have an ipad, id get a JAMUP + BIAS instead. they have very convincing sounds. :)
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »
Thanks for the info, guys. I really appreciate it!

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
Re: VST amp sims thread
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 12:18:16 PM »
I took the plunge!

Bought myself a downloadable copy of Amplitube 3 two days ago, and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the parameters. Any tips on how to get a natural standalone amp-in-a-room sound using mic placement, room size, output, etc.?

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: VST amp sims thread
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 12:20:42 PM »
I took the plunge!

Bought myself a downloadable copy of Amplitube 3 two days ago, and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the parameters. Any tips on how to get a natural standalone amp-in-a-room sound using mic placement, room size, output, etc.?

best to start with a clean signal into a ROLAND JC120 sim in Amplitube. then you can learn how to use the mic placements from there.

for more in depth stuff, you can always google or youtube lessons on mic placement and amp micing. a lot of topics in youtube IMHO.

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: VST amp sims
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 12:51:34 PM »
Softube metal amp room and vintage amp room yung gamit ko. Para sa akin, mas natural yung "feel" niya compared sa amplitube and guitar rig 5 :)

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 01:46:57 PM »
Softube metal amp room and vintage amp room yung gamit ko. Para sa akin, mas natural yung "feel" niya compared sa amplitube and guitar rig 5 :)
looked at the price, ang mahal!  :cry: di ko afford. I'll check the demos when I get home, but it seems to me it's worth the money you fork over

Offline blackgino77

• Netizen Level
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »
I'm not sure kung ka-category ito ng topic, I'm very new to digital music. The audio samples are awesome, methinks. http://overloud.com/products/th2.php

Offline kirov

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 09:17:54 PM »
For cleans I use Waves GTR3.  Tons of usable presets.
Sa high gain naman, LePou. Better than other commercial amp sims. Saka it's FREE. 
Sex is like pizza: there's no such thing as bad pizza. Sure there is cold pizza, pizza that makes you sick, unenthusianstic meaningless pizza, and pizza that you won't get a second time. But nothing will ever make you stop wanting pizza.

Offline anjoesatriani

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 11:25:19 AM »
Amplitube 3 for me is the most versatile and very complex. Complex in a sense that there is a lot of parameters, but can be complicated at times.
You can get very different sounding tone with a slight "mic placing" changes.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 01:37:23 PM »
For cleans I use Waves GTR3.  Tons of usable presets.
Sa high gain naman, LePou. Better than other commercial amp sims. Saka it's FREE.

LePou!! Na-download ko na, but I've not tried it yet. I should, sabi nila maganda nga raw tunog!

Offline juan_alderete

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 03:54:16 PM »
you should try amplitube's Dr Z. Maz model, so good, you can even run pedals to it and sound good.

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 04:56:01 PM »
you should try amplitube's Dr Z. Maz model, so good, you can even run pedals to it and sound good.

Oo nga e, nakaka-gas yung Custom Shop. Wishlist: Maz, Trainwreck, the Soldano, OCD, Moller OD, and SD Shapeshifter. Hope they come up with a proper Vox AC30 though, parang mas maganda yung emulation nun sa Pod HD.

Btw, I've been able to tame the mic placements somewhat. The trick's to keep the mics aligned horizontally, then use dynamics for high-end + condensers for ambience. Loving the amp sims right now. Thinking of getting an iRig so I can play with the laptop.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 05:03:24 PM by tapslore »