hulika

Author Topic: MODS: please bomb this silly topic that was resurrected from the dead...  (Read 24189 times)

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
Tone: Is it in the fingers or the gear?
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2006, 01:12:02 PM »
i've got my thoughts... but first, how do you guys define "tone" in the first place?  

my guess is that we all have different definitions of "tone".... some closer to the correct definition than others.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 01:25:30 PM »
Tone for me is the sound that I LIKE that comes out of the speakers....from playing the guitar...to the pickup....to the amp...and  to the speakers.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2006, 01:27:54 PM »
this thread feels like a drum of gasoline waiting for an unsuspecting passerby to light a cigarette. :-#

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 01:51:23 PM »
Quote from: PRSMan
i've got my thoughts... but first, how do you guys define "tone" in the first place?  

my guess is that we all have different definitions of "tone".... some closer to the correct definition than others.

Then I guess before we post our thoughts on this matter, let's define our parameters  for tone (just like what oas did on his post, i.e. timbre and characteristic).

For me, tone is often confused with a player's character. Tone for me is simpyl the sound that comes out of an amp, regardless of who plays it or what instrument is plugged into it. The example I showed on my earlier post exemplifies this.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2006, 01:56:47 PM »
both :D

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2006, 02:27:28 PM »
Quote from: guitaraddict
this thread feels like a drum of gasoline waiting for an unsuspecting passerby to light a cigarette. :-#

hmmm.. lets wait for the flames..

then ill post pics of rica peralejo... hehehe
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline markflo

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2006, 02:31:32 PM »
WAR!!!! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

...de...loko lang...peace tayo... :lol:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2006, 02:34:08 PM »
I AM SADDAM! WORSHIP ME OR DIE!!!!! :twisted:
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2006, 03:41:47 PM »
Quote from: agentx44
tone is in the player. put a PRS in my hand, plug me into a Marshall stack with 200K worth of effects and my playing would still suck.

OT: dun sa nag-request...

:mrgreen:

who cares about tone when you have her!! she is a big distraction...i didnt even bother reading the posts when i saw her pic!
Thanks Agentx44 for putting some sense into this thread hehe...

ok ok ..back to regular programming.

oh by the way, thanks din ke sigjoys for putting the link on the baguio guitar player sa site ni Perf, di ko makita yun e.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2006, 05:39:07 PM »
Quote from: sonnyrayvaughn
tone is in the player. put a PRS in my hand, plug me into a Marshall stack with 200K worth of effects and my playing would still suck.

who cares about tone when you have her!! she is a big distraction...i didnt even bother reading the posts when i saw her pic!

oh by the way, thanks din ke sigjoys for putting the link on the baguio guitar player sa site ni Perf, di ko makita yun e.

Sonny, ang ganda ng "amp" na yun! Ang laki ng "speakers"!! 12" ba yun? Sana maka "tweak" ako sa mga "knobs" ng yun! Pero...meron'g problema.....baka ang "input" jack nya nya hinda maka take sa "signal" ko.....I think sobrang "hot" and signal sa "gitarra" ko! BWAKAKKAHAHAHAHA!!!
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline eders19

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2006, 06:02:16 PM »
for me, i think it all boils down with what you do with both, not what you have. i mean you can't really say that edge achieved his tone by relying solely on his fingers or his gear. U2's song would've sounded different had he not used his delay fx or had a playing style like kerry king.

what if he had the same gear, but played like the sex pistols? or the usual edge style, but with different fx? iba rin diba?

i don't know, maybe that's just me
with or without you...

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2006, 06:13:24 PM »
Quote from: abyssinianson

Sonny, ang ganda ng "amp" na yun! Ang laki ng "speakers"!! 12" ba yun? Sana maka "tweak" ako sa mga "knobs" ng yun! Pero...meron'g problema.....baka ang "input" jack nya nya hinda maka take sa "signal" ko.....I think sobrang "hot" and signal sa "gitarra" ko! BWAKAKKAHAHAHAHA!!!

WAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH!!  Ganda ng pagkaka describe mo Abyss.. wag ka mag alala about the input jack, mukhang flexibility is one of the great features of this amp ... pero sa tingin ko, dapat ok yung tubes na ipapasok mo para maganda yung tone ...

AYUS!!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2006, 06:25:03 PM »

WAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH!!  Ganda ng pagkaka describe mo Abyss.. wag ka mag alala about the input jack, mukhang flexibility is one of the great features of this amp ... pero sa tingin ko, dapat ok yung tubes na ipapasok mo para maganda yung tone ...

AYUS!!

Hmmm....tung "tubes".....ano kaya ang makuha mo sa variety? Gusto ko ang EL34 kasi buttery ang "voicing" pero wala akong extra na maipasok....baka flexible ang bias niya at pwede ang extra ko na 6L6? I would imagine na ang different na "voicing" at "character" ng "tubes" will take this "amp" form buttery smooth and sexy to mad, crazy wailing pag i-"overdrive" mo during sa "gig." HA!!!!!!

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2006, 06:54:30 PM »
hehe back to regular programming na nga...nadadala kami ni abyss sa pic ni Rica at instead of TONE ang pag-usapan e MOAN!

sabagay, rhyme naman!

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2006, 08:59:47 PM »

hmm dont you think 12in. "cones" are a bit scary? :P
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline markflo

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2006, 11:31:01 PM »
tone is in the alcohol...

the more you drink...the better you sound...
the more THEY drink...the better you sound...

i rest my case...

everyone agree?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2006, 07:25:35 AM »
Quote from Eric Johnson (Guitar Player, May 2006 p. 91)

"Tone has more to do with touch than gear, and the most importanat thing is dampening anywhere you're not playing. Dampening can be done underneath your fretting fingers or thumb, or with the outside of your strumming-hand palm or thumb. Also, the way your finger makes contact with the frets makes a big difference. You need to learn the sweet spots on your guitar like a violin player would."
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2006, 08:48:45 AM »
true, playing does have a lot to do with touch and knowing how your guitar sounds.

Offline walis_bluz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2006, 01:13:38 PM »

Tone is in da boobz.........

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2006, 01:25:49 PM »
Quote from: markflo
tone is in the alcohol...

the more you drink...the better you sound...
the more THEY drink...the better you sound...

i rest my case...

everyone agree?
I'll try that...pero bihira na ako uminom pre.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline knightburn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2006, 02:30:08 PM »
I remember my former 2nd lead guitarist in our rock & roll band. I tell you... he is one hell of a shredder BUT his sound is horrible. Parang minsan napapatingin  na lang sya sa akin kapag ako naman ang nag lead dahil (modesty aside) mas malinaw naman sa akin kahit hindi ganun kabilis daliri ko.  :wink: . I tried to give him effects pero hindi rin sya bihasa sa pag dial ng mga pots sa amp and effects kaya hindi rin maganda ang tunog sa Vantage guitar nya. Parang plug and play lang type of guitar player sya.

I think dapat balance ang pag execute mo sa fingers mo through guitar effects.
Psalms 33:3 - Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Ibanez SAS32FM, Washburn Mercury, Ibanez DE7, DOD FX17, MiAudio Crunchbox, Small Clone, Boss RV3, Digitech BadMonkey, Vox 847A, Zoom TriMetal, Fulldrive MOSFET

Offline namida

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2006, 02:36:15 PM »
Quote from: knightburn
I remember my former 2nd lead guitarist in our rock & roll band. I tell you... he is one hell of a shredder BUT his sound is horrible. Parang minsan napapatingin  na lang sya sa akin kapag ako naman ang nag lead dahil (modesty aside) mas malinaw naman sa akin kahit hindi ganun kabilis daliri ko.  :wink: . I tried to give him effects pero hindi rin sya bihasa sa pag dial ng mga pots sa amp and effects kaya hindi rin maganda ang tunog sa Vantage guitar nya. Parang plug and play lang type of guitar player sya.

I think dapat balance ang pag execute mo sa fingers mo through guitar effects.

Teach your brother  :wink:
"Ano man ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid, ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin" --Yano

Home Recordings ->> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=480230  My Band ->>

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2006, 12:58:24 AM »
up ko lang ito. since may nakuha akong quote from bb king. hehe

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2006, 01:14:03 AM »
a little more from the article where i got it from...

Marc Ford is ambivalent about gear mania: "B.B. King once said, 'Give me any guitar and amp, and I will get my sound, because my soul is me and not the instrument.' That's totally right-on. Give me a Hondo II, and I'll make some nice sounds with it. The guitar is just wood and some electric bits. Get over it."

Of course, Marc doesn't use a Hondo II. His main road hog is a stripped-to-the-wood '71 Gibson Les Paul Standard, a Christmas girt from Chris Robinson. "I had never played Gibsons before, " says Ford. "I was always a Stratocaster man, because you can throw them on the ground, step on 'em, drag 'em behind your car, and they still work. Gibsons always seemed too precious. A Gibson is like a Cadillac; it almost plays itself. With Fenders you've got to really dig in to get it out of there."

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2006, 01:38:57 AM »
Tone is a function of money. - oas :D :D :D :D :D