hulika

Author Topic: My audio interface doesnt have phantom power. What should i do?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline porkplan

My audio interface doesnt have phantom power. What should i do?
« on: February 12, 2014, 12:04:44 AM »
I need it for my MXL 990 to work. But my audio infterface (zoom g3) doesnt have phantom power.

Should i:
- buy a mixer or pre amp etc that has phantom powerr then connect it to the interface. Im not sire d this will work.
- or should i buy a new audio interface that has phantom power?

And what would you guys recommend buying? Mu budget is 5k :)
Thanks

Offline Digidog78

Re: My audio interface doesnt have phantom power. What should i do?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:15:14 AM »
Short-term: mic preamp (behringer has cheap ones. Forgot the model. But then again, not sure of its quality: output and build-wise)

Long-term: get a better audio interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stay Frosty

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline kingjamm

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: My audio interface doesnt have phantom power. What should i do?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 02:49:05 PM »
Isn't zoom g3 a guitar effect / amp simulator?
hm... if you could somehow manage to make use of it as an audio interface...
You have 2 optins....

• 1st Option. If you have a left and right input, then you can go grab a mixer with a phantom so you would have no problem...

• 2nd Option. If you only have an xlr input through your interface, a pre-amp is most likely suggestible or there is this just a phantom power device...

It's up to you...
But I suggest, please do take the first option, that is, if you do have a left and right input...
"A good composer does not imitate; he steals" ~ Igor Stravinsky