hulika

Author Topic: A question to all music consumers and artists  (Read 921 times)

Offline totsandnotions

A question to all music consumers and artists
« on: March 18, 2008, 11:39:20 AM »
Hello Everyone. I've been following the whole evolution of the music industry lately and i just want to pose this question to all concerned.

Which would you rather prefer?

Artists selling their albums at a more expensive price with a superior CD quality (i.e. pressed CDs/printed CDs)?

or

Artists selling their albums at a least expensive price but with a lesser CD quality (i.e. CDRs/burned CDs) but with an album full of songs that would use up the entire 80min CDr?

My take for this one is that in the advent of MP3 players and Ipods, people usually just rip the CD's songs to MP3 formats and play it in their mp3 players, leaving the CD in their cabinets gathering dust. So in my opinion, less and less people will be using the CDs. So having a superior quality CD is no longer important if this would be the case. People would just rip it, transfer it in their Mp3 players.

I am asking this question because we have plans in releasing a new album. And we are thinking of using this line of positioning. More Songs for a lesser price but using CDrs only. Cds would be sold maybe around P150-200/CD. Compared to pressed CDs which are now being sold at P280-300/CD.

Now people would just say why not purchase the song via download? I think if you download 1 song, it would cost you around P20-30/song. And as an artist, i still can't find a way to reconcile how we would be able to monitor the downloads and be assured that we are getting the right numbers from the dowloading service providers. But if we are selling the CDs, then we would be able to keep hold of our physical inventories and our number of units sold. And if we would be consuming the 80min CDr, then that would give us around 17-18 songs which if you would compute it by the price of the CD that we are selling, it would cost you something like P11-12 per song. So still very much cheaper than what the downloading service providers are giving.

Another thing is that by producing CDs instead of just having it available for downloads, we are giving graphic designers/Artists a chance to promote their works by giving them an opportunity to design our album's packaging.

so the selling point for this idea is:
1.)Giving people more songs at a lower price
2.)Giving graphic artists an opportunity to showcase their skills
3.)Maximizing the profitability of the artists to help them earn the right money that they deserve.
4.)inventory controls

Guys? what do you think?
Check out our album Thoughts and Notions: In awe of his Amazing Love. Available at all House of Praise Outlets Nationwide. to hear samples of our song, visit www.purevolume.com/thoughtsandnotions