hulika

Author Topic: I have declared in another thread that GAS is over for me... But...  (Read 197201 times)

Offline kernelsalonpas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: I have declared in another thread that GAS is over for me...
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 05:53:56 PM »

1.   Ah, ganon pala ang difference ng metal sa normal na distortion lang.
2.   Ah, ganon pala ang flanger.
3.   Ah, may wah pala na hindi kailangan nung malaking pedal na mukhang gas pedal ng truck.
4.   Whoa!!!  Ang ganda pala ng acoustic sound na may kahalo na chorus.
5.   Ang saya pala maggitara pag may epeks!!!!!

coming from mfx before, that same model man, and a 12 yr old zoom 3030 I bought way way back, I understand these words of awe  :) it made you aware of the whole gamut of effects that are out there. of course di mo magagamit lahat sabay sabay hehe.

uy gusto ko nga ung malaking itsura ng wag na parang pedal ng trak. hehe.. bigat lang ampu...
no pic, no advise...

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 05:55:17 PM »
nice thread  :-D

bookmarked
“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 05:57:52 PM »
coming from mfx before, that same model man, and a 12 yr old zoom 3030 I bought way way back, I understand these words of awe  :) it made you aware of the whole gamut of effects that are out there. of course di mo magagamit lahat sabay sabay hehe.

uy gusto ko nga ung malaking itsura ng wag na parang pedal ng trak. hehe.. bigat lang ampu...

LAWL!!!  Uploading photos now.  Thanks sa mga naka-appreciate!   :wave:

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 06:38:59 PM »
Before we were able to schedule our first band practice, I was scheduled to fly to the US again.  The first thing that entered my mind as soon a flight got booked for me was, "What guitar should I buy in the US?".  During that time, I was GASing for a hollowbody guitar.   :wave:

This could be the last time that my office would send me to the US so I wanted to make the most out of it...   :lol:

Been checking the Sam Ash and Guitar Center websites for hollowbodies so I already had an idea about the prices.  I was torn between an Epiphone 335 and Ibanez AF75 (or AS73).  Just for the heck of it, I called Audiophile MOA to inquire if they have hollow body guitars in stock.  Dammit!  Ibanez AF75 and AS73 were both in stock and available!!!  And the price?  Lower than the published price on the Sam Ash and Guitar Center websites!!!

As expected, again with my wife (we work in the same office), as soon as we exited the gates of our office,  we were on our way to MOA.

It took me almost an hour to choose between Ibanez AF75 and AS73...  In the end, I liked the resonance of the full hollow body of the AF75 so I paid for it, kissed my wife before we left the store, then drove home.

Just like the last time I flew to the US, I didn't even visit any music store during my stay there.  I just concentrated on my other passion which is MMA.  I bought tons of Tapout and Affliction shirts, as well as fight shorts.

When I arrived back home, I was ready to rock it with my "new band".  That time, I already have 2 electric guitars (Fender MIM Strat and Ibanez AF75), a decent multieffects processor (Korg AX3000G), a decent amp (Stagg 60 watt amp), an acoustic guitar (Yamaha F310P), and electronic drums (Yamaha DD65).

To be continued again...
(Next:  The band started to practice and Doubletrouble introduced me to the good stuff.  That bastard.  LAWL!)

Offline jannten

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 07:02:07 PM »
pag may gusto bilin agad! hehe  :drool:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:05:52 PM by jannten »

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »
pag may gusto bilin agad! hehe  :drool:

Hahaha!  Ganyan nga ako mag-isip dati, bro.  I learned the hard way.   :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 07:35:05 PM »
First band practice was scheduled one Saturday afternoon at our drummer’s house in Paranaque.   Doubletrouble and I arrived early.  While waiting for the bassist, we started to talk about our stuff. 

He asked me, “Ano gitara mo, bro?” 
Confidently, I responded, “Fender, bro.  Strat.”
“US?”, he probed.
“Ay hindi, Mexico lang…”, I said, while looking at his kinda disappointed face.   <_< <_< <_<

Lots of questions entered my mind.
“Is there really a big difference between MIA and MIM?”
“Would it be worth it to purchase an MIA Strat considering the price tag?
“What is this guy’s guitar?!!”

So I asked, “Ikaw, ano gitara mo, bro?”
“Les Paul”, he said.
“Gibson?!!!”, I probed while trying to hide my “that’s awesome!!!” facial expression.   :drool: :drool: :drool:
“Oo, bro.”, he casually replied.

The bassist arrived so we went to our cars to get our stuff.  Walking from his car to where I was, Doubletrouble was carrying on his right shoulder a guitar in a gig bag, and a gray thing that looked like a huge briefcase. 

When he was close enough, I asked, “Ano yan, bro?”
“Pedalboard…”, he replied.
Me thinking, “WTF is a pedalboard?!!!”   :? :? :?

After bringing his guitar and “pedalboard” inside the house, he went back to his car to get something. 
Walking back to the house, I asked again, “Ano yan, bro?”
“Lunchbox…”, he said.
Me thinking, “Niloloko yata ako nito ah.  Lunchbox daw?!!!  Hahaha!”   :lol: :lol: :lol:

So there I was, setting up my gear, plugging in my Fender MIM Strat to my Korg AX3000G that was plugged to my Stagg amp.   :-( :-( :-(
And on the other side of the room was Doubletrouble, plugging in his black Gibson Les Paul to his pedalboard (as big as my daughter’s study table) that was plugged into a small thing that looked like a friggin’ lunchbox.   :money: :money: :money:

“Yan ang amp mo?”, I asked.
“Oo bro.  Sumasabay sa half stack yan!!!”, he said.
In my mind, I said, “You must be F’in sh*ttin me…”   :razz: :razz: :razz:

The band practice started.  I was blown away by Doubletrouble’s gear.  His guitar sounded excellent, his pedals produced amazing tones, and his tiny amp spat on my 2 ton amp. 

When I left that house after 5 hours of jamming with my new band, I was never the same.   :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dang!!!

To be continued again...
(Next:  Christmas party time - with photos!!!)

Offline e-guitar

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »
Wow!!!

Ganda ng thread niyo sir!!!

Kaabang-abang talaga!!! nakakabitin!!!
DEAL REFERENCES: larry.galang, bass13man, mb.la13.

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 07:48:01 PM »
Wow!!!

Ganda ng thread niyo sir!!!

Kaabang-abang talaga!!! nakakabitin!!!

Thank you, sir...  Party muna tapos "salyahan" na ng gamit.   :lol:

Offline e-guitar

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 07:55:21 PM »
Thank you, sir...  Party muna tapos "salyahan" na ng gamit.   :lol:

Hmm interesting bro!!!

ano kaya ang mga susunod na magaganap!?
DEAL REFERENCES: larry.galang, bass13man, mb.la13.

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »
Great thread!Im so loving your journey!!....parang xerex  hahaha itutuloy...  :lol:

Ano yung xerex, sir?  *wink wink*
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »
While preparing for our “booking”, I stopped thinking about the stuff that I wanted to acquire.  I just concentrated on improving my skills (which never happened) while collecting all the information that I need from Doubletrouble regarding gear.

After practicing four or five more times, it was time to rock…

I decided to use my Ibanez AF75 for this event because it would look good on photos.  LAWL!!!   :lol: :lol: :lol:
My Stagg amp was placed behind the Orange bass amp.  I could barely hear my guitar during our performance.   :cry: :cry: :cry:

After this event, all I could think of was pedals, better guitars and nice amps…

To be continued again…
(Next:  It’s time to give in to GAS…)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:25:51 PM by freemansj »

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 08:39:43 PM »
Martin, bad influence ka pala!
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2012, 09:24:51 PM »
Yeah, Martin is a GASaholic too!
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2012, 09:30:19 PM »
After my new band’s performance at my office’s Christmas party, I asked myself…  Do I want to take this seriously?  The answer was easy.  YES!!!  That was the time when I finally decided to get a better guitar.

Husband and wife talk.

Me:  Babe, we need to talk about something.
Wife:  About what?
Me:  My hobby. 
Wife:  Ah…  Whatabout?
Me:  I’ve made up my mind.  I’m getting an MIA Strat.
Wife:  So what’s gonna happen to your other guitars?
Me:  I’m gonna sell them. 
Wife:  Are you sure?
Me:  Yeah.  I don’t need 2 Strats.  And by the time I have the MIA Strat already, I wouldn’t wanna use the Ibanez anymore.  And besides, I wouldn’t be able to afford an MIA Strat if I won’t sell my other guitars.
Wife:  Considering the price tag on the Strat that you wanna purchase, are you sure you really really really really like it?
Me:  Yes…
Wife:  Know what, think about this…  If you’re gonna buy another guitar, buy the best one available para wala na yang GAS-GAS na yan…
Me:  (Thinking…  Hmmm…  Interesting…)  Alright, I will think about it.

Meanwhile, back in my office, my supervisor informed me that I might have to attend a conference in Nahville, TN in a couple of weeks.  After hearing that from my supervisor, I was ecstatic!!!  Perfect timing!!!  I could finally buy a guitar from the US!!!  I could save a lot considering the prices of guitars here in the Philippines are way way way way way way higher.

I have finally decided to get a Fender American Standard Stratocaster in 3 tone sunburst.

I filed for a loan right away at our office’s credit union.  Yes, this time, I had to file a loan.

The following week, my supervisor delivered a very bad news.  The office would not send me to Nahville anymore because no one from the office could act as an alternate to my position. 

After talking with my supervisor, I literally went straight to the phone and dialed the phone number of Yupangco main showroom.

On the phone….
Me:  Ser, may available po ba kayo na Deluxe Strat dyan?
Salesperson:  Yung may S1 switch po yun, no?  Sandali lang po, check ko lang.
Me:  Okay, thanks!
After a minute…
Salesperson:  Sir, meron po.  Dalawa sila.  Isang black na may medyo gold na pickguard, at isang 3 TONE SUNBURST po…
Me:  (Couldn’t speak…. )  Please reserve the 3 tone sunburst one for me.  Thanks!

After buying this very versatile guitar, I was driving home when my supervisor called me on my cellphone.

Supervisor:  Hey!!!  Good news!!!  Matutuloy ka na sa Nashville!
Me:   :cry: :cry: :cry: (pero okay lang.  hehehe....)

(Next:  Change of plans...)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 09:34:02 PM by freemansj »

Offline kimhags

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 09:52:27 PM »
subscribed. having fun reading your story sir.  :) and dang, that 3 tone sunburst strat is beautiful!!

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 09:53:16 PM »
subscribed. having fun reading your story sir.  :) and dang, that 3 tone sunburst strat is beautiful!!

Salamat, kapatid.  I still have that Strat.   :)

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 10:12:46 PM »
Before leaving, I sold my Stagg amp for P5,000, and the Yamaha DD65 for P10,000.   :lol:

My trip to Nahville was fun!!!  I just recently acquired my dream Strat so no guitar GAS for me at the moment.

For the first time, I thought of visiting music stores in the US.   :drool:

I also visited Guitar Center but I was not able to take photos.   Oh, by the way, I bought these from Sam Ash…   :-)

Thought about buying the Club instead but I wasn’t sure if I could handcarry that into the plane so I just picked the Lunchbox.  Yes, just like Doubletrouble's.  LAWL!!!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gear update after the Nashville trip:
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Fender Standard Strat MIM
Ibanez AF75
Korg AX3000G
ZT Lunchbox
Fender premium cable that was inside the hardcase when I bought the Deluxe Strat
Planet Waves cable

(Next:  Going analog…)
 :| :| :|
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:26:38 AM by freemansj »

Offline jannten

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2012, 10:20:35 PM »
na double trouble ka talaga sir. :D

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2012, 10:22:03 PM »
na double trouble ka talaga sir. :D

Yes, sir!  Doubletrouble brought me a lot of trouble!  Hihihihi...   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2012, 10:40:35 PM »
Back in Manila!!!

Someone bought the Ibanez AF75 a couple of weeks after I arrived from Nashville.

At home, I was rocking the Korg AX3000G with the Deluxe Strat and ZT Lunchbox when I received a text message from Doubletrouble.

SMS:  Bro, try mo yung Danelectro Coolcat Drive V1.  Clone daw ng Fulltone OCD yun.  Maganda yun!  Bilisan mo kasi nagkakaubusan na.  Sa Lyric sa Market Market meron pa.

My initial reaction was, “Ano kaya yung Fulltone OCD?”
Google is your friend, baby!!!  Googled it, Youtubed it…  Me likey!!!

Husband and wife talk.

Me:  Babe, we need to talk.
Wife:  Whatabout?
Me:  I want a pedalboard.
Wife:  What’s a pedalboard?
Me:  Epeks…
Wife:  Di ba may effects ka na?
Me:  Well, yeah…  But…  Hmmm…  Mas maganda pag analog pedals e.  Individual pedals yun na ipapatong sa isang board tapos iko-connect using short cables.
Wife:  If you really like it, go for it.
Me:  Let’s go to Market Market!!!

I really love my wifey!!! 

The next 2 weeks, I bought 6 pedals and a VS 1 Spot, ordered an aluminum pedalboard and patch cables from Kenzu, and ordered a bag from Baluti Gear.

Oh…  And I also bought a pink metal pedal!!!  LAWL!!! 

(Next:  Going nuts on pedulz and bigger, better amp!!!)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:59:31 PM by freemansj »

Offline mr_deadmaxxx

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2012, 10:56:03 PM »
 :razz:
DIY:  Boss MT2 klon, Echo Base delay, GM Arts DS/OD, MXR Noise Gate, Ibanez CP9, Magnus Modulus, Fender Blender, Orange Squeezer, EM3207 Flanger, DOD Swell, Sansamp GT2, Spitfire(ongoing)

Offline djonathan

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2012, 11:03:53 PM »
bitin pa din bro. i was holding back on the lunchbox kasi nga maliit n mejo duda ako kung kaya sumabay.but after reading this thread im getting a lunchbox
kung yung item mo kaya ang baratin ko hindi ka kaya mainis?

Offline kernelsalonpas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2012, 11:07:20 PM »
wow.... no time was spared for GAS. noice!
no pic, no advise...