hulika

Author Topic: Thread on wiring, Pots, Pickups and the such.  (Read 42071 times)

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Thread on wiring, Pots, Pickups and the such.
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2008, 01:13:32 AM »
Having problems po dati soldering the ground to the metal casing of an angled neutrik plug, kelangan po ba nun ng acid flux? if ever saan po nakaka bili ng acid flux or nay safe alternatives: thanks po  :-D

Offline rad_12

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2008, 10:17:54 PM »
in my one and only custom guitar here's my axe:

2 sets of humbucker pickups
LP type 500k pots both for volume and tone control
orange cap. i forget kung ano yung capacity niya
metalcore scalarizer (from BAMFxaudio)
3 way toggle switch.

yung wirings naman niya simple lang stock pa rin yung PUP's na gamit it's not worthy to put some high-end PUP's. hehehehehe....

Offline farleysbeat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2008, 12:03:02 AM »
dami ko natututunan sa thread na ito...

may tanong po ako, simula nung palitan ko yung pick-ups ng gitara ko, parang humihina na rin pati volume kapag binababaan ko yung tone. bakit kaya naging ganun?
Luke 1:37; Mark 9:23

Offline rad_12

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2008, 12:55:50 AM »
ano pinalit mong PUP's sir  ?

baka mababa capacitor mo and pots. hindi kayA?

Offline farleysbeat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2008, 01:14:24 AM »
Gifmen PAFs.  di ko ginalaw sir yung cap at pots nung mga gitara ko. Ibanez SA at Ibanez ARC. Ano kayang nangyari sa tone knob? Thanks!

Offline tim_cada

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2008, 01:58:46 AM »
wow, ganda nitong thread nato a... learnin alot, though im still quite scared to mess up with anything.. next time na, baka may masira pa ako or masayang na pera dahil sa maling nabili.. pero, astig kayo, tuloy lang, learnin alot here :-D
Thank God for music..
LF: Fender Frontman 25r

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2008, 09:03:09 AM »
i installed a GFS bridge pickup on my les paul and now when i put the switch in the middle position on the 3 way selector, the volume drops considerably. and its all from the bridge pickup. also, the volume pot doesnt work quite as well as it used to. i dont know what went wrong. help! hehe :-) btw, the bridge pickup i installed is a 4 wire humbucker, and the stock pickup on the neck position is a 2 wire humbucker.

pls help me figure out what's wrong. thanks! :-)

Two possibilities:

1. You installed the bridge pickup with its phase reversed relative to the original neck pickup. This is more likely the case if the volume drop only occurs when you flip the switch into the middle position -- the pickups are operating out-of-phase when both are on. Solution: reverse the wiring -- place what you think should be the hot leads to ground, and what you think is the pickup's ground wires to the hot position on the volume pot.

2. You may have mispaired the four wires so that the bridge pickup is operating permanently in a coil-tapped mode. Solution: review the pairings according to manufacturer's recommendation and re-pair them to operate in full coil mode.

Offline farleysbeat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2008, 09:14:41 AM »
2. You may have mispaired the four wires so that the bridge pickup is operating permanently in a coil-tapped mode. Solution: review the pairings according to manufacturer's recommendation and re-pair them to operate in full coil mode.

how do you do that sir?

wow, ganda nitong thread nato a... learnin alot, though im still quite scared to mess up with anything.. next time na, baka may masira pa ako or masayang na pera dahil sa maling nabili.. pero, astig kayo, tuloy lang, learnin alot here :-D

kayo po ba yung kapatid ni Sarah?

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2008, 12:11:49 PM »
Look here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes

With 4-wire HB's, you normally solder north end and south end together and tape it off. You don't usually use these wires unless you want to add coil-tap switching.

North start is usually hot (to volume control lug), and South start goes to ground.

But you'll notice the color coding is not the same for every manufacturer. So make sure you have the colors paired correctly (north and south ends) -- this info should be with the manufacturer's literature -- solder/pair them together and tape it off. Then solder the North start (hot) wire to the volume lug and the South start to ground (to the back of a pot).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 12:13:29 PM by blue buddha »

Offline tim_cada

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2008, 07:16:36 PM »
kayo po ba yung kapatid ni Sarah?

yup, how'd u know her? LB? highschool? anyway, PM mo nalang ako, kakahiya sa mga nasa thread kung OT na hehe :lol:
Thank God for music..
LF: Fender Frontman 25r

Offline farleysbeat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2008, 09:44:22 PM »
Look here:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes

With 4-wire HB's, you normally solder north end and south end together and tape it off. You don't usually use these wires unless you want to add coil-tap switching.

North start is usually hot (to volume control lug), and South start goes to ground.

But you'll notice the color coding is not the same for every manufacturer. So make sure you have the colors paired correctly (north and south ends) -- this info should be with the manufacturer's literature -- solder/pair them together and tape it off. Then solder the North start (hot) wire to the volume lug and the South start to ground (to the back of a pot).

Thanks sir. I've installed it now and it works and sounds great.

OT:
yup, how'd u know her? LB? highschool? anyway, PM mo nalang ako, kakahiya sa mga nasa thread kung OT na hehe :lol:

PM'd you sir. Voidmain is also a friend of ours.  :-D

Offline Speed_Kills

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »
pano ayusin yung scratchy pot ng volume knob sa amp??....
tama ba? :?

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2008, 08:46:34 PM »
Just like to share.  It's funny how I lived without a treble bleed cap all these years.  I like how my copy les paul sounds already, but I absolutely hate how it muddies up as I turn down the volume.  I'm not handy with the soldering iron, so I asked someone else to do it for me.

Now... I can tame the gain.   :evil:

(And I discovered how crappy my control cavity looks.  Especially when you compare it to a gibby, very neat, with premium grade components and superior craftsmanship.  Doesn't bother me too much, it sounds A-ok to my ears.  I'm real lucky I picked this guitar, baka nagkataon lang, all tone factors coming together.)

Before

After a brief discussion, we decided on a .001uF (1000pF) capacitor.

So for you guys who constantly use the pickup volume, and if you're satisfied with your tone at 10, it's a must-have!  As you can see, it's a tiny mod, with a big difference.

Treble bleed caps work really well for some guitars and are indispensable if you work the volume pots a lot. Some other guitars don't need it as they have that fortunate combination of components that allow the guitar to stay clear and articulate even when you roll down the pot.

.001 is normally a great choice for a bleed cap -- a good starting point for almost any guitar circuit.

I can't quite make it out, but did you put one on the neck volume pot too? If you didn't..... do so immediately! That's usually the one that needs it most to remove the muddiness.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2008, 08:57:46 PM »

Unplug the amp.

Remove chassis from the amp cabinet.

Locate scratchy pot and shoot two squirts of Caig DeOxit, BluWash, Radio Shack TV Tuner Cleaner, or a contact cleaner (with lubricant) into the pot's access hole (near the contact lugs). DO THIS WITH ONE HAND IN YOUR POCKET AT ALL TIMES AND RUBBER SOLED FOOTWEAR ON YOUR FEET or you risk turning into a french fry.

Fully rotate the pot back and forth at least 10 times.

Replace the chassis.

Plug the amp back in.

Play.... and enjoy the amp without the sound of frying bacon.  :-D

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2008, 01:06:57 AM »
Treble bleed caps work really well for some guitars and are indispensable if you work the volume pots a lot. Some other guitars don't need it as they have that fortunate combination of components that allow the guitar to stay clear and articulate even when you roll down the pot.

.001 is normally a great choice for a bleed cap -- a good starting point for almost any guitar circuit.

I can't quite make it out, but did you put one on the neck volume pot too? If you didn't..... do so immediately! That's usually the one that needs it most to remove the muddiness.
I know!  I kept procrastinating on having it done.  I sure missed out a lot.  Should've done this a long time ago.

No, I'm keeping my neck pickup as it is.  I find that treble loss interesting, to say the least.  But before the mod, I knew that rolling off my bridge pup volume was absolutely useless.  So there...   :-)

Unplug the amp.

Remove chassis from the amp cabinet.

Locate scratchy pot and shoot two squirts of Caig DeOxit, BluWash, Radio Shack TV Tuner Cleaner, or a contact cleaner (with lubricant) into the pot's access hole (near the contact lugs). DO THIS WITH ONE HAND IN YOUR POCKET AT ALL TIMES AND RUBBER SOLED FOOTWEAR ON YOUR FEET or you risk turning into a french fry.

Fully rotate the pot back and forth at least 10 times.

Replace the chassis.

Plug the amp back in.

Play.... and enjoy the amp without the sound of frying bacon:-D
The imagery works.  Ingat lang tayo sir.  Have someone with you at least.  :-D
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline jmwreck

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2008, 11:35:06 PM »
so informative

Offline WittyMe

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2008, 10:43:45 PM »
mga sirs pano po matanggal yung hum noise ng strat ko??? tanong ko lng po... yung strat ko kahit clean tone may hum noise pa din.. irreversible na b yung pick up?? ayoko munang palitan yung pick up. Kung pwede man marepair to. let me know po.. thanks :-)

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2008, 08:41:07 AM »
Hmm, about strats nga, I have a JS Schindler Strat. (Yung may kasama nang amp, tuner, stand etc.) And I was thinking if pwede ba siyang palitan ng Pickups? For example, dimarzio or humbucker? I mean, compatible ba and is it worth it?
Salvation is here and He lives in me.......

Offline diaboliche

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »
Does 500k pots for guitars come in one size? Or does it differ in size depending on the guitar you wish to install it. Thanks!  :wink:

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2008, 08:24:10 PM »
I "stole" Arie's configuration on his #1 strat and applied it on my Squier strat.

Basically what it does is it converts the middle knob (mid pickup tone control) into a "blend" knob which blends in the neck pickup with the rest of the signal. Then I converted the lowest knob (what used to be the neck tone control) into the master tone control. Now, I can dial in sharp and round without touching the switch. Just dial in a "blend" and the warm and soft sound of the neck pickup comes in. So its like you get the sharp tones of the bridge and the warm soft tones of the neck pickup, and all points in between.

I think I did it for someone else too. I'm going to do it again on my Fretlight strat :D . I like it e.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2008, 08:25:53 PM »

contact cleaner spray mo though the "window" of the pot.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline beejaysoul

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2008, 12:19:46 AM »
tulungan nio naman ako.. huhu normal lng ba mag feedback ang guitar pag gamit ko ung bridge pickup?.. ask lng po.. kc nag fifeedback ako eh. Or dahil sa compressor un?? May compressor kc ako eh :? help me plss

SALAMAT MGA BRO.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2008, 07:56:58 AM »

Offline kebs

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2008, 09:22:13 AM »

What's the best treble bleed mod you guys would recommend for an hsh guitar? I've tried installing a .001microfarad cap, but the signal becomes too bright when the volume control is rolled down (specially for the single coil pickup). I've read about putting these caps in series and parallel with a resistor for some special cases, but I really don't know what to use. My guitar is "pickguarded" and floyd-equipped, so it would be very troublesome to do trial-and-error (removing the strings first, unscrewing 10 screws, etc. in order to access the pots). Thanks! :-D
時々失敗が必要

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2008, 10:25:03 AM »
What's the best treble bleed mod you guys would recommend for an hsh guitar? I've tried installing a .001microfarad cap, but the signal becomes too bright when the volume control is rolled down (specially for the single coil pickup). I've read about putting these caps in series and parallel with a resistor for some special cases, but I really don't know what to use. My guitar is "pickguarded" and floyd-equipped, so it would be very troublesome to do trial-and-error (removing the strings first, unscrewing 10 screws, etc. in order to access the pots). Thanks! :-D
Although 1000pf works in most humbuckers, sometimes it does that.  Nagiging mas bright pa when you lower volume.  Go lower to the next value. 820, or 680pf, whichever becomes more transparent.

Nabasa mo na 'to?   :-)
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/potm.htm
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore