hulika

Author Topic: Gibson Guitar Users Thread  (Read 237114 times)

Offline Filippo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Gibson Guitar Users Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2008, 02:21:34 PM »
Havnt posted my new R9. It's an 03, Ive had it for about 4-5 months now and its really a lot of fun. Thanks to Flippo for this one. It's got an RS kit and Sheptones. Killer guitar really. Yup thats a 1 piece maple top. :)

Flame on

Toxic twins

This will find its way back home one day :) darn prodigal son this r9 is LOL :)
We're all just caretakers. And some better than others.

Offline rasj76

« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2008, 05:42:01 PM »
a gustavsson???? (i'll take a stab at your no. 2: a Baker???)

a gustavsson to me is a confused guitar. it doesn't know if it want's to be a telecaster or a les paul. :lol:

kidding aside i'm sure it's a great guitar but to me it looks like it's somebody else's version of a les paul. it's a variation of an original design, it might be better but it's still a copy. :-)

to me it's Gibson or bust!

Actually, A JG is a Paul Thru and thru. There is nothing telecaster about it other than the shape (which is smaller than a tele and closer to a LP size). The only reason Johann switched the shape was for patent infringement reasons. The purpose of a blues master was to correctly copy a vintage 50's paul. Glues, woods, angles, everything was studied and refined to become the bluesmaster. It's also the only guitar that alot of real burst owners say is closest to a real burst. Everything else is a modern guitar.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

The baker is closer to a PRS than a paul IMHO.

don't get me wrong guys. i don't doubt that Vhunters JG (and Baker for that matter) is an exceptional instrument (or a work of art if you will). I would have appreciated JG's more if he came up with something fresh and innovative. My vanity as a guitarist or someone who works hard to earn dough (and argues hard with the missus for approval) for my toys prevents me from buying an instrument that as Vhunter stated as:

The purpose of a blues master was to correctly copy a vintage 50's paul. Glues, woods, angles, everything was studied and refined to become the bluesmaster. It's also the only guitar that alot of real burst owners say is closest to a real burst.

IMHO, luthiers should create modern classics that people will still strive to copy after 50 years like people have been doing to the 1959 Les Paul Sunburst. Admittedly even the Gibson Historics are nowhere near the 1959 sunburst of old  but it’s still one helluva killer sounding and playing instrument and it’s a fraction of a cost of trying to obtain a vintage 50’s Les Paul (or a JG).

If I want a Les Paul I’ll buy it from the guys who first came up with the concept: Gibson.

Of course this may all change when I get the chance to try a JG and for some unexplained reason has more than enough cash laying around. :lol:

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2008, 04:13:34 AM »
i own a 1970's Gibson SG (cherry), Binenta sakin ng friend ko un dahil ata sa matinding pangangailangan.(9000-php) and i dont know kung anu un..nagulat nga ko sa price e. so when he told me that he was selling his guitar, wala nang patumpik-tumpik pa, i immediately went to Rizal (Cainta ata un,and I'm from Cavite) to grab the axe and paid 9k (baka magbago pa isip e), and i was stunned when i tried it to his computer speakers. hehe.. the sound, the worn out body paint (I like worn out paint on guitars, it looks very cool), the tone specially. it sings like a woman, so i married my axe that day!. hehe. the problem is i forgot her name.. biigyan ko na cya ng name dati pa hindi ko na maalala dahil sa thesis ko nung college. but anyway, i feel very lucky to own one. Because its not just an ordinary guitar that you can see in every gig, and in every jam, it's a Gibson and it's a 70's!

chadik.. Habol ko nalang mga pics.. Bao!

i'll wait for the pics... :-D

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2008, 01:05:33 PM »
Welcome me back to the club. I just got a Gibson Les Paul Gothic. haha.

Offline Chum

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2008, 01:09:42 PM »
A Very Very Warm Welcome to you Greg, hope you stay for GOOD  :mrgreen: ... Pictures puhleeaaaazzzeee :-D :-D
Immanuel Kant, BUT Genghis Khan!!!

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #155 on: October 03, 2008, 01:10:53 PM »

Ayos...  :-D

Offline juzaen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2008, 01:14:17 PM »
[/quote
A Very Very Warm Welcome to you Greg, hope you stay for GOOD  :mrgreen: ... Pictures puhleeaaaazzzeee :-D :-D

Post na pic ng gothic at 70's SG argghhhhh...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 01:16:33 PM by juzaen »
MY TOYS: 2001 Gibson 1958 Reissue, MesaBoogie subway blues, Springfield armory XDM 40sw, CZ SP01 shadow and MY GLOCK 23 40sw

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #157 on: October 03, 2008, 01:36:06 PM »

Haha. Nasa barko pa. hahaha. di bale, pipicturan ko talaga yun! hahaha

Offline karlwilson

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2008, 02:40:39 PM »
i own a 1970's Gibson SG (cherry), Binenta sakin ng friend ko un dahil ata sa matinding pangangailangan.(9000-php) and i dont know kung anu un..nagulat nga ko sa price e. so when he told me that he was selling his guitar, wala nang patumpik-tumpik pa, i immediately went to Rizal (Cainta ata un,and I'm from Cavite) to grab the axe and paid 9k (baka magbago pa isip e), and i was stunned when i tried it to his computer speakers. hehe.. the sound, the worn out body paint (I like worn out paint on guitars, it looks very cool), the tone specially. it sings like a woman, so i married my axe that day!. hehe. the problem is i forgot her name.. biigyan ko na cya ng name dati pa hindi ko na maalala dahil sa thesis ko nung college. but anyway, i feel very lucky to own one. Because its not just an ordinary guitar that you can see in every gig, and in every jam, it's a Gibson and it's a 70's!

chadik.. Habol ko nalang mga pics.. Bao!

ser,
    Nangyari na rin sakin  yan before ..share ko lang.(true story of negligence).in my case its a gibson sg '65 orig not reissue with only 6 digits serial (501xxx)on a gator gibson sg flight case pa.
The story begins when im on sm bacoor where i have a deal..sell my strat to a person na dun gusto makipagmit..as soon matapos deal namin namasyal muna ako..kasi ngayon lang ako naka punta ng SM bacoor and i want to know if my Perfect Pitch Music Store doon..so,meron nga PPitch wayback 2004 or 2005 yata un..well now CLOSED na yata Pitch dun..
So to continue the story..I met this guy named Gerrold aka bluesboy1216 he is a cashier that time,so i get into the store and shop with my eyes!he.he.hindi naman talaga ako bibili e titingin lang..so he approach me nicely and do his thing..then sbi ko meron ba kayong les paul na gibson?sbi nya wala po e..kasi hindi carry ng pitch dati gibson guitar..then all of a sudden he said that a friend of him was selling a Gibson SG guitar and a bnew marshall avt-275 amp at a very cheap price..
It was price at 22k at first pero sbi ko hindi ko kaya.. kaya ibinaba pa ng 16k w/gator sg hardcase...whoaaaa..i was a very novice..newbie..in easy term "wala pang alam"..but i know that gibsons are mahal talaga..
Tapos pumunta sya sa likod para kunin yung gibson sg..he told me that his friend is very ill and indire need of cash kaya benebebta ng mura mga gamit!as i open the flight hardcase ..in myself there is no feeling of excitement kasi hindi ko pa masyado type nun ang mga sg guitar e!wtf :?!and it was the 1st time na makakahawak ako ng sg guitar... 
So, i grab the sg a feel a bit weary na bakit ang gaan nito sir sabi ko...?!he.he.for all i know mabigat ang mga gibson kasi..sabi ni gerrold ewan daw nya kung bakit ganun kasi he is a strat user not a lp user..kaya hindi daw nya type yun..in my mind naguguluhan ako..mukha naman kasi orig at malinis ang pagkagawa talaga magaan lang talaga sya.!sabi ko pa nga baka si sir arie h. lang gumawa e .he.he.
It has a 2pcs p90s,natural color,mop inlays,and indeed very mint despite its age!very vintage looking..
Before i go i get the serial number 501xxx 6digits..sabi ko kay gerrold ill think about it muna kasi magaan nga sabi ko parang ampaw e.he.he.then will do some research(which hindi ko naman talaga ginawa na i-research un sg kasi hindi ko ugali na mag-internet pa that time but i manage to go gibson serial site kaya nalaman ko 1965 cya ginawa!).
Then after 2weeks pass..hindi ko makalimutan ung gibson sg na yun!
I again contact gerrold na kung nandun pa ang gibson sg,he said nandun pa pero yung avt-275 sold na at 18k lang bnew pa.
Sabi ko sa sarili ko bahala na..kung local o hindi ..pero mas malakas kutob ko na orig cya.makikipag trade na lang ako dun kay gerrold ,.
Pumunta ulet ako sa sm bacoor with a MIM Fender strat plus a sum of 9thou cash in my pocket,,
To do some offers to gerrold na in my mind baka pumayag sya na bilhin nya ang strat ko ng 7k na lang para mabili ko yung gibson sg!Kasi kulang budget ko..
Gerrold inspect my mim strat and he sort of liking it!pero kulang din pera nya 4k lang.waaahh..hindi ko to mai-uuwi ang SG sabi ko sa sarili ko!
That day ended like a nightmare on elms street!!!ha.ha.
I've started texting sir arie hipolito about the sg na kung magaan nga ba talaga ang mga SG o mabigat din parang LP..then he replied.."no,magaan lang talaga ang mga sg around 2.5 to 3.5kgs. or 6-7pnds lang"....whoaaaaa....at nun ko lang napatunayan sa sarili ko na very much authentic pala ang nahawakan ko
'65 SG!!!and by the fate of destiny i call perfect pitch sm bacoor to talk to gerrold
para bilhin na ng cash, but he said the SG is SOLD bro!!that day only!!!F@c.! i was shock and feel very cold,.but thats the way it is..its not really for me thou..
gerrold is now one of my close friend dito sa pm pati sa fs .he.he.

Sorry mga bro medyo mahaba story ko pero sana wag nyo ko gayahin sa katangahan ko.he.he.i dont know kung sino nakabili ng '65 sg.
but i have pic of it ill post soon.. :-D

eto yung same 65 or rather 70s sg na pinalampas ko sa aking mga kamay.
i really dont remember kung yung seller or si gerold nag-send sakin nito.
eto cya.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 12:08:35 AM by karlwilson »

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #159 on: October 03, 2008, 03:24:54 PM »
Sayang to a. Grabe, ang mura nun. Damn. Sasakalin ko sarili ko pag sa akin mangyari yan. hahaha! nice story man.

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #160 on: October 03, 2008, 03:43:13 PM »
story is soooo depressing naman...  :-(

Offline farleysbeat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #161 on: October 03, 2008, 03:47:44 PM »
^^ naku, kung sa akin na-offer yun. :evil:
Luke 1:37; Mark 9:23

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #162 on: October 03, 2008, 03:55:01 PM »
to gibson lp standard users:

why do you spend more for the standard if the studio can give you the same tone with a just a few modifications (pickup, tone pot and hardware upgrades?). based on my research, the studio is exactly like the standard, wala lang bling factor. do the higher end flame/plus tops and binding contribute to the tone?

pwede rin naman sa looks, pero yun lang ba yung factor? are there other factors that make the standard more special than the studio? how about the wood used (better quality ba?). hmmm...

Offline karlwilson

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2008, 04:04:44 PM »
prety drastic mga sir db..hanggang ngayon it hunts my thoughts!
nakakapanghinayang kasi ..nasa kamay ko na nawala pa.
magkano kaya value nun '65 SG sir farseer?
ikaw magaling dyan e.
he.he.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 04:10:31 PM by karlwilson »

Offline juzaen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #164 on: October 03, 2008, 06:00:41 PM »

ser,
    Nangyari na rin sakin  yan before ..share ko lang.(true story of negligence).in my case its a gibson sg '65 orig not reissue with only 6 digits serial (501xxx)on a gator gibson sg flight case pa.
The story begins when im on sm bacoor where i have a deal..sell my strat to a person na dun gusto makipagmit..as soon matapos deal namin namasyal muna ako..kasi ngayon lang ako naka punta ng SM bacoor and i want to know if my Perfect Pitch Music Store doon..so,meron nga PPitch wayback 2004 or 2005 yata un..well now CLOSED na yata Pitch dun..
So to continue the story..I met this guy named Gerrold aka bluesboy1216 he is a cashier that time,so i get into the store and shop with my eyes!he.he.hindi naman talaga ako bibili e titingin lang..so he approach me nicely and do his thing..then sbi ko meron ba kayong les paul na gibson?sbi nya wala po e..kasi hindi carry ng pitch dati gibson guitar..then all of a sudden he said that a friend of him was selling a Gibson SG guitar and a bnew marshall avt-275 amp at a very cheap price..
It was price at 22k at first pero sbi ko hindi ko kaya.. kaya ibinaba pa ng 16k w/gator sg hardcase...whoaaaa..i was a very novice..newbie..in easy term "wala pang alam"..but i know that gibsons are mahal talaga..
Tapos pumunta sya sa likod para kunin yung gibson sg..he told me that his friend is very ill and indire need of cash kaya benebebta ng mura mga gamit!as i open the flight hardcase ..in myself there is no feeling of excitement kasi hindi ko pa masyado type nun ang mga sg guitar e!wtf :?!and it was the 1st time na makakahawak ako ng sg guitar... 
So, i grab the sg a feel a bit weary na bakit ang gaan nito sir sabi ko...?!he.he.for all i know mabigat ang mga gibson kasi..sabi ni gerrold ewan daw nya kung bakit ganun kasi he is a strat user not a lp user..kaya hindi daw nya type yun..in my mind naguguluhan ako..mukha naman kasi orig at malinis ang pagkagawa talaga magaan lang talaga sya.!sabi ko pa nga baka si sir arie h. lang gumawa e .he.he.
It has a 2pcs p90 cream pups,natural color,mop inlays,and indeed very mint despite its age!very vintage looking..
Before i go i get the serial number 501xxx 6digits..sabi ko kay gerrold ill think about it muna kasi magaan nga sabi ko parang ampaw e.he.he.then will do some research(which hindi ko naman talaga ginawa na i-research un sg kasi hindi ko ugali na mag-internet pa that time but i manage to go gibson serial site kaya nalaman ko 1965 cya ginawa!).
Then after 2weeks pass..hindi ko makalimutan ung gibson sg na yun!
I again contact gerrold na kung nandun pa ang gibson sg,he said nandun pa pero yung avt-275 sold na at 18k lang bnew pa.
Sabi ko sa sarili ko bahala na..kung local o hindi ..pero mas malakas kutob ko na orig cya.makikipag trade na lang ako dun kay gerrold ,.
Pumunta ulet ako sa sm bacoor with a MIM Fender strat plus a sum of 9thou cash in my pocket,,
To do some offers to gerrold na in my mind baka pumayag sya na bilhin nya ang strat ko ng 7k na lang para mabili ko yung gibson sg!Kasi kulang budget ko..
Gerrold inspect my mim strat and he sort of liking it!pero kulang din pera nya 4k lang.waaahh..hindi ko to mai-uuwi ang SG sabi ko sa sarili ko!
That day ended like a nightmare on elms street!!!ha.ha.
I've started texting sir arie hipolito about the sg na kung magaan nga ba talaga ang mga SG o mabigat din parang LP..then he replied.."no,magaan lang talaga ang mga sg around 2.5 to 3.5kgs. or 6-7pnds lang"....whoaaaaa....at nun ko lang napatunayan sa sarili ko na very much authentic pala ang nahawakan ko
'65 SG!!!and by the fate of destiny i call perfect pitch sm bacoor to talk to gerrold
para bilhin na ng cash, but he said the SG is SOLD bro!!that day only!!!F@c.! i was shock and feel very cold,.but thats the way it is..its not really for me thou..
gerrold is now one of my close friend dito sa pm pati sa fs .he.he.

Sorry mga bro medyo mahaba story ko pero sana wag nyo ko gayahin sa katangahan ko.he.he.i dont know kung sino nakabili ng '65 sg.
but i have pic of it ill post soon.. :-D

NAKU NAMAN!!! grabe ang kwento mo.... Sayang naman sir... haaaaayyyy.. very tragic at depressing.. di ko natapos kinakain ko..
MY TOYS: 2001 Gibson 1958 Reissue, MesaBoogie subway blues, Springfield armory XDM 40sw, CZ SP01 shadow and MY GLOCK 23 40sw

Offline angeloesteban14

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #165 on: October 03, 2008, 06:07:04 PM »
karlwilson:

sayang yun bro.  :-(

Offline tresdalandan

• Veteran Member
« Reply #166 on: October 03, 2008, 06:22:32 PM »
may pagasa pa kayang maibalik ang dating ganda nitong '74 Gibson SG Custom?magkano kaya aabutin? wala ba talaga serial no. pag vintage? Gibson kaya talaga to? nabili to noon ng tito ng kaibigan ko sa Greece ata. Nandito rin yung hardcase na Gibson na brown :-)

"Music is the wine that fills the empty cup"

Offline ZeroForceXXVII

« Reply #167 on: October 03, 2008, 06:33:45 PM »
hope is not lost naman siguro dito sa gitarang ito... i'm pretty sure na mabubuhay itong SG Custom mong ito, tres...

nasubukan mo na bang kontakin si Jon ng Elegee? maybe grab a quote on how much to restore this to near mint?

may pagasa pa kayang maibalik ang dating ganda nitong '74 Gibson SG Custom?magkano kaya aabutin? wala ba talaga serial no. pag vintage? Gibson kaya talaga to? nabili to noon ng tito ng kaibigan ko sa Greece ata. Nandito rin yung hardcase na Gibson na brown :-)

Offline angeloesteban14

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #168 on: October 03, 2008, 06:36:14 PM »

imposibleng hindi marerestore yan... madaming magagaling na luthier dito.

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #169 on: October 04, 2008, 01:15:22 AM »
hi tres. i think your sg is a copy of the gibson sg custom. lahat kasi ng gibson na galing 70's may serial number na. hmmm.. and the custom split diamond inlay is inverted. it should be the other way around.. and the logo's material should be MOP as far as i know. anyway, regarding its restoration, yes, it can be done. goodluck! :)

Offline ZeroForceXXVII

« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2008, 01:23:01 AM »
now, if that was the case, then there are quite a number of good copycats in Greece... hehe  :-D

hi tres. i think your sg is a copy of the gibson sg custom. lahat kasi ng gibson na galing 70's may serial number na. hmmm.. and the custom split diamond inlay is inverted. it should be the other way around.. and the logo's material should be MOP as far as i know. anyway, regarding its restoration, yes, it can be done. goodluck! :)

Offline bryvincent

• Veteran Member
« Reply #171 on: October 04, 2008, 01:58:11 AM »
yup. at saka ang mga Customs dapat block inlays and ebony fretboard. at yung headstock dapat mas malaki ng konti. at yung tuners din obviously.

Offline karlwilson

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #172 on: October 04, 2008, 11:49:10 AM »

yup its copy..like this two..na benenta sa sakin before
eto un sa taga cavite..
no serial and contour on the body..

then this one taga legazpi,bicol.
no serial,no contour on the body also.
medyo malabo pics na pinadala sakin nung seller e,pero its more likely to be a copy di ba sir?

hope it helps.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 08:19:40 AM by karlwilson »

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #173 on: October 04, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
prety drastic mga sir db..hanggang ngayon it hunts my thoughts!
nakakapanghinayang kasi ..nasa kamay ko na nawala pa.
magkano kaya value nun '65 SG sir farseer?
ikaw magaling dyan e.
he.he.

cream cover nun pups??? orig kaya yun...
65' sg special if clean would fetch 3.5k bucks more or less

Offline tresdalandan

• Veteran Member
« Reply #174 on: October 04, 2008, 06:11:59 PM »
ui..hehe..

thanks sa mga nagcomment  :-)

nga pla, may hardcase yung sg na gibson din...luma na rin...maaari kayang binili na lang yung hardcase para masabing orig?  :? :-D

hehe...

thanks ulit!  :-D
"Music is the wine that fills the empty cup"