hulika

Author Topic: I honestly despise the SIGNATURE/DESIGNER "coolness" idea  (Read 17840 times)

Offline SCREWER

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: I honestly despise the SIGNATURE/DESIGNER "coolness" idea
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2008, 08:51:16 AM »
aanhin pa yang mga signature crap na yan kung ang balat mo naman ay ndi bagay sa gamit mo.... :-D...haaayyy...I see a lot of depressing fashion victims anywhere in the philppines.. :-D
Stop using Jesus as an excuse for being a narrow-minded, bigoted a-hole.

Offline greenweenie

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2008, 12:57:02 PM »
Bibilin mo lang yung mga ganun pag may extra cash ka. Hindi mo pinagiipunan yung mga ganun.

Offline renz_sui

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2008, 10:40:24 PM »
May kinwento sakin yung isang artist dun sa ex company ko na ganito. Kasi kilala ako sa pagiging pro-PC anti-Mac person.

Me:"Bakit pa ba nagsasayang ng pera yung ibang tao for a Mac when everything can be done with a PC at half the price?"
Artist:"Kasi pogi ang mac. Parang fashion statement yun. Kahit gano siya kamahal, people dig it because pogi siya."

I think same applies for Signature stuffs. You can probably buy cheaper stuffs on ukay ukay but nothing beats carrying that "pogi" signature bag in your hand. Kumbaga trophy narin. Parang alahas. You don't have any practical use for these things but heck you buy them because it makes your girl happy.

Offline SCREWER

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2008, 12:44:30 PM »
depende rin sa kultura ng girl or mentality...for me pag typical girls or material girls...kahit nililigawan palang tapos magpapabili ng unneccessary borloloy or etc.....sisimulan ko na mag back out nyan...kasi senyales na yan... :lol:

Stop using Jesus as an excuse for being a narrow-minded, bigoted a-hole.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2008, 09:42:16 PM »
Gurl I read your post, but what I failed to emphasize was POTENTIAL of an item.  Example.  If you had 300sq. m of idle land in Ayala, versus a hectare of idle land in San Mateo, Rizal, they both are STILL IDLE INVESTMENTS.  Non-moving investments.  But why is the Ayala property more expensive than that of the San Mateo one?  That is because the Ayala property has more intrinsic value and has the potential to generate income, kahit na puro talahib lang siya.  On the one hand, ang isang lupa sa San Mateo na puro talahib ay pareho lang ang benefit kumpara sa isang lupa sa Makati na puro talahib.

IMO, a LV bag, no matter how much "intrinsic value" they say they possess, cannot bring you income, at all, (unless you talk about rarities that most Hollywood celebrities buy, and eventually sell for much higher because they were pre-owned by celebrities.)  On the other hand, an expensive guitar may probably exceed the quality of a cheap guitar, but in an "investment" context, a working musician can benefit from that.   

You don't understand.  Kaming mga lalaki ang nabubutasan ng bulsa. :D

i dont agree that you cant make money off of high fashion.  these are not my values, but a lot of business people build credibility by dressing up, and creating or maintaining an air of affluence.   i remember a scene in schindler's list wherein an enterprising oskar schindler dresses up to make an impression on the rich guests and nazi officers at a dinner party.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 09:47:09 PM by starfugger »
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline jun_BALARAW

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2008, 02:57:52 AM »
ok lang sana kung mga lacoste, benetton, giordano and the likes pwede pa. pero kung yung mga gucci etc... kalokohan na yon. di ako bibili ng ganun kahit kelan... ipapa kain ko na lang sa pamilya ko kesa ipang bili nun..

"ang daming ng naguguton fashionista ka pa din!"
PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE....

Offline jun_BALARAW

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2008, 03:00:31 AM »
pero syempre iba pa din ang branded... like ng lacoste ng erpat ko. mas matanda pa sakin yung lacoste niya so mga 23+ years na yun. hanggang ngayon suot pa din niya. hindi pa din nangungupas...

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2008, 09:36:02 AM »
i dont agree that you cant make money off of high fashion.  these are not my values, but a lot of business people build credibility by dressing up, and creating or maintaining an air of affluence.   i remember a scene in schindler's list wherein an enterprising oskar schindler dresses up to make an impression on the rich guests and nazi officers at a dinner party.

Hazel, I think 95% of the people who buy signature stuff don't make a living out of them.  Power-dressing they call it.  :?  Heck, I've seen people who dress up pretty well after having a P2000 shopping spree at 168 mall.  And I have seen people who wear a P2000 blouse that make 'em look fake to me. 

If you're an endorser for signature clothing, good for you.  You're the real influence to a lot of potential fashion victims.  :-D

Which explains why the counterfeit trade is so in..... 

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2008, 01:35:22 PM »
Hazel, I think 95% of the people who buy signature stuff don't make a living out of them.  Power-dressing they call it.  :?  Heck, I've seen people who dress up pretty well after having a P2000 shopping spree at 168 mall.  And I have seen people who wear a P2000 blouse that make 'em look fake to me. 

If you're an endorser for signature clothing, good for you.  You're the real influence to a lot of potential fashion victims.  :-D

Which explains why the counterfeit trade is so in..... 

i never said it was necessary to spend a fortune to look good.  as i mentioned earlier, it is not in my values to spend more than i have to in clothing, footwear, and accessories.  heck i wear my 50 peso slippers even at work :-D  however, you did say you can't make money off of donning the most expensive suits.  and i cited an example wherein one could.

marketing 101 lang yan.  the pursuit of exclusivity is what drives some people to purchase relatively expensive items.  it's a part of human nature, to want to feel special and unique.  some feel special by serving the masses, others by identifying themselves APART from the masses.  reminds me of dr. seuss' "The Sneetches".

FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline jem_adriano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2008, 10:56:33 AM »
i dunno the stuff i look for i cant seem to find when i shop in a well known store...sure ive got mossimo,bench and things pero
mas prefer ko talaga kunwari statement shirts,those spoof thingys saka yung mga airbrushed i dont mind the brand..minsan ako pa nagpepersonalize ng gamit ko...like,i paint stuff on my jeans or silkscreen my own designs...mas noticed ako, inexpensive,cool,and unique at the same time i found it to be 1000x cooler  :-D

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2008, 08:57:26 PM »
i stopped buying pants sa mall nung nalaman kong mas makakapili ako ng style at mas mura kung magpapatahi na lang ako...
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2008, 09:57:10 PM »
i stopped buying pants sa mall nung nalaman kong mas makakapili ako ng style at mas mura kung magpapatahi na lang ako...

i hated pants in malls.

BUT, when i found the brand and style that i actually did like and it really did fit my lower body, from then on i always bought from that brand (which is Lee, btw, and their lo-fit stye, which also sucks because it costs 900 bucks.)

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2008, 01:40:29 AM »
yung Paddocks nga nagiging ka-presyo na din nila eh...yung F&H ganun din...magaganda sana ang tela kaso nagtataasan na ng price...

kung ganun din lang...bibili na lang ako nyan Lee...ganyan din brand ko dati eh...

pero dahil walang bell bottoms na binebenta ngayon tapos puro skinny jeans at mga straight cut na may fake fade lines eh bumibili na lang talaga ako tela sa Divisoria at pinapatahi dito samin...

yung fade at destroyed look, DIY ko na lang...

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2008, 06:43:20 AM »
I say let those people with low self-esteem buy their ridiculously expensive clothes & show how pathetic they really are because their existence is validated by what Paris Hilton's favorite outfit for the day is. Man, those kind of people never fail to crack me up.  :lol:

Offline isnewflik

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2008, 08:55:37 PM »
why are people so brand conscious? pare-pareha naman ang itsura ng lahat eh.. sa quality at durability nalang siguro may differences.. tsaka depende lang naman yan sa pagdala ng isang tao eh.. sigh..

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2008, 03:08:37 PM »
ewan ko kung ganyan pa rin ang mga tao sa lasal, pero nung nag-aaral pa ako dun, you had to be wearing the latest signature clothes para di ka pagtawanan at pag-usapan ng mga kaklase mo...

my take on this?  PFFFFFT.  buti na lang di ganyan ngayon na nagtatrabaho ako.  i'd rather spend my hard-earned cash on GAS, band expenses, books and booze than on the latest signature brands.  as long as it's comfortable and durable, yun lang yung importante.   :-D
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2008, 04:08:33 PM »
as far as i'm concerned, designer clothing is not a necessity, but a privelege.  so let's not discriminate the "privileged" who are able to afford designer clothing with more to spare.

personally, i am brand conscious when it comes to shoes ONLY.  sa shirts, pants, bags, etc. hindi naman ako brand conscious.  madali kasi ako makalaspag ng shoes na hindi branded.  i tried a lot of no-brand shoes already and i have been repeatedly disappointed.
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2008, 05:37:44 PM »
as far as i'm concerned, designer clothing is not a necessity, but a privelege.  so let's not discriminate the "privileged" who are able to afford designer clothing with more to spare.

personally, i am brand conscious when it comes to shoes ONLY.  sa shirts, pants, bags, etc. hindi naman ako brand conscious.  madali kasi ako makalaspag ng shoes na hindi branded.  i tried a lot of no-brand shoes already and i have been repeatedly disappointed.

pareho tayo.  dun lang ako brand-conscious...but only when it comes to basketball shoes.   :-D

otherwise, i'd rather GAS then splurge on designer-brand shirts or jeans!   :-D
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline jun_BALARAW

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2008, 05:42:13 AM »
dami kong nakikita dito worth 20,000 per shirt... mga ralph lauren, gucci.... pag pasok nga namin parang pinapaalis na kagad kami ng tindero eh.. sa tingin pa lang parang sinasabi na "may pambili ba kayo neto?" hehehe

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2008, 12:51:47 PM »
I personally don't mind buying signature clothes as long as the items are worth it and the money I spend won't compromise anything important that I need to always have budget for. I don't mean to sound like an @$$, but I think it's hypocritical of some people to just blurt out their despise of the finer things in life with much fervor but if they had a chance to acquire something considered as high-end without losing much, they'd buy it in a flash. I think it's a function of spending capacity AND priorities.

We have our own unique spending priorities; we may classify purchasing something as negative spending (or senseless/unnecessary spending) while others see it as otherwise. Also, the general trend is if one's income increases, then his or her spending somehow increases as well. Spending doesn't stop at buying signature clothes or high-end musical equipment; it can also mean financing insurance policies, buying a nice car, visiting the dentist or dermatologist regularly, among others. For example, person A may like signature clothes and bags while person B may prefer to buy electronic gadgets or computer parts. Assuming that both have the ability to shell out some serious dough, the one who only likes signature stuff naturally downplays the need of buying high-tech gadgets or upgrading to the latest Core 2 Quadro Intel processor, all this while Mr./Ms. Techie feels the same way about purchasing products created by the major proponents of fashion capitalism such as Louis Vuitton, Salvatore Ferragamo, Ermenegildo Zegna, etc.

My personal stand is that we should have a more holistic view of spending. Buying designer clothes isn't bad as long as it won't rob us of our budget for providing good and healthy lives for ourselves and for our loved ones. The truth is that there aren't too many Mother Teresa wannabes in this world and we all have our own high-end thingamajig that we'd want to buy someday, if our wallets or bank accounts allow it. The "signature/designer = coolness" equation doesn't stop at clothing or luggage; practically everything has cheapo-level and exclusive/boutique-level varieties. Heck, even coffee has a lot of options ranging from Blend 45/Great Taste to Blue Mountain or Kopi Luwak blends. If one says that the way to go should always be to buy entry-level clothes, to wear entry-level shoes, to use entry-level wallets and bags, to invest on entry-level watches and to spray entry-level perfume on ourselves even if we have, say P50,000,000 at our disposal, then I say it's ludicrous.

Spending is one thing but spending wisely and proportionately to your own budget is a whole new ballgame :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 02:44:09 PM by Poundcake »
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2008, 07:20:03 PM »
I personally don't mind buying signature clothes as long as the items are worth it and the money I spend won't compromise anything important that I need to always have budget for. I don't mean to sound like an @$$, but I think it's hypocritical of some people to just blurt out their despise of the finer things in life with much fervor but if they had a chance to acquire something considered as high-end without losing much, they'd buy it in a flash. I think it's a function of spending capacity AND priorities.

+1.

andami lang talaga na lumalabas ang defense mechanisms and insecurities vs those who can afford.  :-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline jem_adriano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2008, 09:26:01 PM »
+1.

andami lang talaga na lumalabas ang defense mechanisms and insecurities vs those who can afford.  :-)

in the end kanyang kanyang trip sa fashion yan...its what you look for rather than what brand everyone else wears...whether i you can afford it or not

Offline AnalogKiD

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2008, 11:32:19 AM »
Sabi nga ehh...

Tang!*@mo Ang Daming Nagugutom Sa Mundo Fashionista Ka Pa Rin!!!
Shut up! We know you can play!

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2008, 01:02:38 PM »
+1.

well hey, lemme quote my first post on this thread

i also despise people na mahilig magsuot ng mga ganyang damit pero 3 days pa lang pagkatapos sumuweldo eh nagungutang na agad...

diba nakakainis yung pilit lang yung pagbili nya ng damit? sabihin natin may kaibigan ka o kabanda na mahilig sa designer clothes and stuff at may plan kayong mag produce ng isang album(indie)...hindi sya maka-ambag dahil panay bili nya ng designer stuff...di ka maiinis nun?

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2008, 02:25:36 PM »
well hey, lemme quote my first post on this thread

diba nakakainis yung pilit lang yung pagbili nya ng damit? sabihin natin may kaibigan ka o kabanda na mahilig sa designer clothes and stuff at may plan kayong mag produce ng isang album(indie)...hindi sya maka-ambag dahil panay bili nya ng designer stuff...di ka maiinis nun?

exactly my point as to why i'd rather not look at the brand...bili ka nga ng bili ng mamahaling damit pero wala kang pang-ambag para sa praktis o recording?

but this i'll concede to, aside from an occasional splurging on basketball shoes.  imported jeans are more durable, and i'd rather wear them than most local brands.  and they "never let you down" at the wrong time.   :wink: