hulika

Author Topic: Your Large Diaphragm Condenser preference: SMOOTH & WARM or SHIMMERY & BRIGHT  (Read 1187 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
I dunno why I prefer warm and smooth sounding LDCs.  I tend to go towards U87 territory and I am also interested in those Oktava MK319s and MXL V67Ms.  The Rode NT series and AKG C414s tend to be brighter. 

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
Smooth and Warm 80% of the time.

Bright and Shimmery sometimes, depending on the source.

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
Smooth and Warm. Mas mahirap yata gawing SMOOTH and WARM ang SHIMMERY and BRIGHT... opinion ko lang...
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Depends. I tend to start at smooth and warm and then work my way from there. A few of my go-to mics in this categ are the Mojave MA-201, Peluso 22-47 and sometimes an AT-4060. If you want smooth, warm AND uber in your face, nothing beats those Manley mics which are wonderful for intimate jazz and acoustic records.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
Depends. I tend to start at smooth and warm and then work my way from there. A few of my go-to mics in this categ are the Mojave MA-201, Peluso 22-47 and sometimes an AT-4060. If you want smooth, warm AND uber in your face, nothing beats those Manley mics which are wonderful for intimate jazz and acoustic records.

The Peluso 22-47 is a great mic, I had to let mine go, but it can take a lot of gain before distortion. I tend to drive the mic itself before it hits the preamp - PHATter sound than my Neumann u87. I still have a Lawson 47 FET LDC, now as PHAT as the Peluso but still warm and smooth sounding, great on the kick drum for loosey-goosey thump thud sound.

I'm looking forward to my new 47 style tube LDC! Forgive that I'm such a mic slut.  :mrgreen:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Peluso 22-47 is a great mic, I had to let mine go, but it can take a lot of gain before distortion. I tend to drive the mic itself before it hits the preamp - PHATter sound than my Neumann u87. I still have a Lawson 47 FET LDC, now as PHAT as the Peluso but still warm and smooth sounding, great on the kick drum for loosey-goosey thump thud sound.

I'm looking forward to my new 47 style tube LDC! Forgive that I'm such a mic slut.  :mrgreen:

yep, which is why i opted for the Peluso over the Neumann. I am 'rarin to try out that new Neve/SE Electronics ribbon mic - I haven't come across one in sessions yet but someone has to have had bought this thing already. Apparently, it has a few Royer freaks itching for one after hearing 'em.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
the u87 IS smooth, but warm?  hardly.  it's usually bright and "open" on most sources. 
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744