hulika

Author Topic: Using unmatched pairs of power tubes  (Read 1060 times)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Using unmatched pairs of power tubes
« on: May 29, 2015, 03:48:21 PM »
Hi guys!

I currently have 2 Sovtek 6L6GC WXT+ (matched) on my Twin Reverb and I want to fill the other two power tube slots to make this Twin Reverb function the way it was designed to. My problem is that I can't find another pair of the same tube brand and I am tempted to buy a matched pair of JJ 6L6GCs to fill the other two slots.

Have anyone of you tried this and what was the result? Did you have to do any rebiasing?
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Using unmatched pairs of power tubes
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 04:05:33 PM »
Yes you may try, but use one pair in V8 and V9, the other pair in V7 and V10.  Always check your bias when putting new tubes.  If you have an 8ohm speaker load before (assuming you matched when you decided to run on one pair 6L6GC only), you should have a 4-ohm load now if you want to maintain a matched impedance.  On fenders you can mismatch 2:1 down or up but keep your eye on your plate dissipation.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 07:04:11 PM »
Hi guys!

I currently have 2 Sovtek 6L6GC WXT+ (matched) on my Twin Reverb and I want to fill the other two power tube slots to make this Twin Reverb function the way it was designed to. My problem is that I can't find another pair of the same tube brand and I am tempted to buy a matched pair of JJ 6L6GCs to fill the other two slots.

Have anyone of you tried this and what was the result? Did you have to do any rebiasing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-NEW-Sovtek-6L6WXT-6L6GC-6L6-Sov-Vacuum-Tubes-Matched-Pair-TESTED-/290647955034?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 07:49:59 PM »
Ayun lang, not too keen on getting something on eBay. Was thinking JJ because that's all they have at epektos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 11:26:44 PM »
Lyric sells TAD tubes

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 02:10:33 AM »
Oh OK! Any idea how much they sell them at Lyric?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 12:16:17 PM »
I also still have JJ 6L6 GC in stock.

As far as using unmatched power tubes: As long as you're not diming the amp (and on an amp that uses a quad of 6L6, if you only get the master volume to about 2 or 3 then you're not really even cranking it) then don't worry about it. The only possible problem would be an undue harshness in the tone--which you might even like.   :wink: 
If on the other hand you DON'T like it, then biasing should get you to a point where all tubes would be pumping at the same level.
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Using unmatched pairs of power tubes
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 12:21:14 PM »
I forgot to mention spankyrigor too. I ordered my tubes from him and lyric. Lyric marketing is (02) 571 9789 but they only have TAD tubes. Spankyrigor usually have more options. Go with lyric if you need rectifier tubes.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:23:22 PM by royc »

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 04:45:25 PM »
Got a pair of EHX 6L6GCs here in SG. Excited to try them later when I get home! Decided to get these as IIRC, Sovtek also made these tubes for EHX so I'm banking on that.