hulika

Author Topic: Looking back at the 90's: GRUNGE ERA!  (Read 3624 times)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Looking back at the 90's: GRUNGE ERA!
« on: November 19, 2006, 10:24:10 AM »
ang saya saya ng 90's, sobra! halika mag reminisce tayo. ano ano mga tinutugtog nyo noon?

ako,

pearl jam - daughter, animal, shempre pa jeremy, black, etc.
nirvana - nevermind chaka incesticide albums
green jello - 3 little pigs!!!!
metallica - nothing else matters, enter sandman, unforgiven, wherever i may roam, sad but true (considered standard in the 90's  :lol:)
bon jovi!!! - hehehe, the very first song that i learned was "i'll be there for you" !
poison - every rose has its thorn,  :lol:
gin blossoms
red hot chilli peppers - stuff from the blood sugar sex magik album
incubus - science album!
mother earth - people tree album
helmet - unsung
alice in chains!!!! - dirt album
STP of course

kayo?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 03:14:22 PM by drumster »
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Looking back at the 90's: GRUNGE!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 11:26:05 AM »
unang kanta na tinugtog ko sa boung buhay ko in front of an audience is ''knockin' on heaven's door'' by gnr.
di ako masyado nakatugtog ng mga grunge songs pero i was totally into the "mainstream grunge" nung time na yun.
syempre nirvana, pearl jam, stp, soundgarden, alice in chains.
nung nadiscover ko si dave grohl, bumaliktad mundo ko, hehehe...
nasanay kasi ako sa mga monster kits and mga antics ng glam rock, hair bands eh. pero nung nakita ko sa video nung smell like teen spirit si dave grohl, ayun.

Offline bam0120

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 03:06:39 PM »
ang saya saya ng 90's, sobra! halika mag reminisce tayo. ano ano mga tinutugtog nyo noon?

ako,

pearl jam - daughter, animal, shempre pa jeremy, black, etc.
nirvana - nevermind chaka incesticide albums
green jello - 3 little pigs!!!!
metallica - nothing else matters, enter sandman, unforgiven, wherever i may roam, sad but true (considered standard in the 90's  :lol:)
bon jovi!!! - hehehe, the very first song that i learned was "i'll be there for you" !
poison - every rose has its thorn,  :lol:
gin blossoms
red hot chilli peppers - stuff from the blood sugar sex magik album
incubus - science album!
mother earth - people tree album
helmet - unsung
alice in chains!!!! - dirt album
STP of course

kayo?

bket wala ang candlebox? Live?
temple of dog? hmm...dishwala?

=)
yeah

\m/

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 02:49:30 AM »
Grunge is essentially Seattle Sound, or rock music by bands from the Pacific Northwest area of the US, particularly from the city of Seattle.  Read about it on Wikipedia --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge .

Therefore... Candlebox, Live and Dishwalla are not considered as grunge.  Temple Of The Dog is grunge, because this project group consists of members from Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, who are Seattle-based bands.

But the Wikipedia reference included some non-Seattle bands in the list which are considered grunge, such as Hole and the Stone Temple Pilots.

Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Poison, Guns N' Roses...  They are not grunge!  But these bands have their fair share of success and exposure during the height of the grunge movement in the early 90's.  Later on, newer or younger bands such as Incubus emerged, which has some grunge influences.

Anyway, I began playing drums during the early 90's, when grunge was huge.  So I consider grunge as the first rock music that I enjoyed listening to & my earliest influences.  Some grunge drummers who were my early influences are...

Matt Cameron -  I love his work with Soundgarden and Temple Of The Dog.  Thanks to him, I got exposed to odd time signatures and jazz-inspired rock drumming.  I think he's overqualified with 21st-century Pearl Jam.  I consider him an important influence to my drumming.

Dave Kruzen -  The drummer on Pearl Jam's Ten album.  I learned the whole Ten album.

Dave Abbruzzese -  Dave Kruzen's replacement.  I enjoy watching and listening to his energetic, funk-flavored rock drumming style.  I like his work on the Vs. album.  When he was kicked out, I never followed and listened to Pearl Jam again.

Sean Kinney -  Alice In Chains.  I find him to be the most heavy metal among the grunge drummers.  I thought his tempo was weird, especially on the Facelift and Dirt albums.  But still, I enjoyed their music & his creative drumming.

Dave Grohl - He may be the less-is-more drummer among the stable of grunge drummers, but everything he played with Nirvana worked perfectly with their music.  True-blue rock musician.

8-)

Offline bam0120

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 04:22:21 AM »
Grunge is essentially Seattle Sound, or rock music by bands from the Pacific Northwest area of the US, particularly from the city of Seattle.  Read about it on Wikipedia --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge .

Therefore... Candlebox, Live and Dishwalla are not considered as grunge.  Temple Of The Dog is grunge, because this project group consists of members from Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, who are Seattle-based bands.

But the Wikipedia reference included some non-Seattle bands in the list which are considered grunge, such as Hole and the Stone Temple Pilots.

Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Poison, Guns N' Roses...  They are not grunge!  But these bands have their fair share of success and exposure during the height of the grunge movement in the early 90's.  Later on, newer or younger bands such as Incubus emerged, which has some grunge influences.

Anyway, I began playing drums during the early 90's, when grunge was huge.  So I consider grunge as the first rock music that I enjoyed listening to & my earliest influences.  Some grunge drummers who were my early influences are...

Matt Cameron -  I love his work with Soundgarden and Temple Of The Dog.  Thanks to him, I got exposed to odd time signatures and jazz-inspired rock drumming.  I think he's overqualified with 21st-century Pearl Jam.  I consider him an important influence to my drumming.

Dave Kruzen -  The drummer on Pearl Jam's Ten album.  I learned the whole Ten album.

Dave Abbruzzese -  Dave Kruzen's replacement.  I enjoy watching and listening to his energetic, funk-flavored rock drumming style.  I like his work on the Vs. album.  When he was kicked out, I never followed and listened to Pearl Jam again.

Sean Kinney -  Alice In Chains.  I find him to be the most heavy metal among the grunge drummers.  I thought his tempo was weird, especially on the Facelift and Dirt albums.  But still, I enjoyed their music & his creative drumming.

Dave Grohl - He may be the less-is-more drummer among the stable of grunge drummers, but everything he played with Nirvana worked perfectly with their music.  True-blue rock musician.

8-)

ahh.. gnun pala yun!!
kala ko kasi yung type ng music is parang dating nirvana or something rock ng ganon time.. grunge na.. hehe

salamat sa info! dio

=)
yeah

\m/

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 05:09:19 AM »

8-)

My mentors! . . .  well in essence, that is

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Looking back at the 90's: GRUNGE ERA!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 08:09:02 AM »
right drumster.  lol, i tried to change the title but couldn't seem to.  was gonna say Grunge Era instead as  mother earth, incubus, green jello, and a lot of other bands i mentioned fall within other genres. 

FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline wax_static

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 09:12:22 AM »
tanda ko na pala heheheh

:-P NIRVANA  :-P nagmulat ng kamalayan!!! hehehehe !!!!

STP - Core!!!! Crackerman!!!!

sa 90's era naman.... dami!!!!!!!!
Smashing Pumpkins!!!!!
Radiohead!!!!
Gin Blossoms
Collective Soul
Silver Chair
Dishwalla

yung Helmet - Unsung... hanggang ngayon... tugtugan pa din namin!!!

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 03:13:59 PM »
No problem, guys!  Somehow, na-base sa geographic location ang grunge.  Akala ko rin before it's just about this distinct style of 90's alternative rock music.  Buti na lang may internet na para makagawa ng further research.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 03:16:08 PM by drumster »

Offline BiliBidboy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 03:30:42 PM »
heres mine..

outshined~soundgarden
smells like..~nirvana
would~AIC
jeremy~pearljam
are gna go my way~lenny kravitz
hey jealousy~gin blossoms
mrs. robinson~lemon heads
wazzup~4noneblonds(baduy no!)
zombie~cranberries
counting blue cars~dishwala
hard to handle~the black crowes
bullet with butterfly wings~pumpkins

yan nlng naaalala ko... 8-)
X-DW user...SPAUN convert!

Offline xalanx

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 03:49:31 PM »
for me,

NIRVANA....mga kababata ko dito samin eh mga naging kabanda ko ever since I got interested in drumming. naalala ko yung unang song ng nirvana na tinutugtog namin is "about a girl" at tpos nun sunodsunod na ang katuwaan sa pagtugtog ng grunge syempre STP, Alice in chains, pearl jam etc.
Music is not what I do, It's who I am

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 05:19:28 PM »
wasnt a drummer then but a spinner...my music was mostly new wave; house/dance music from c+c music factory, sybil, cece peniston. remember angelina? color me badd? then came the remixes of new wave/love songs with disco beats commonly heard on 89 DMZ  :-D

then the eraserheads exploded and band scene flourished, still no grunge for me. it wasnt until i heard "the man who sold the world" by nirvana (mtv unplugged) that i recognized "grunge". started playing drums that time

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 06:31:24 PM »
right drumster.  lol, i tried to change the title but couldn't seem to.  was gonna say Grunge Era instead as  mother earth, incubus, green jello, and a lot of other bands i mentioned fall within other genres. 

hey hazel, looks like you miss the old club dredd days huh,hehe, those are the best days...

eto nami-miss ko

silverchair
alice in chains
stone temple pilots
lemonheads
hole
jet black joe
soundgarden!!!

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 11:44:05 PM »
heres mine..

outshined~soundgarden

me too me too!

Offline BiliBidboy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 09:39:44 AM »
plush~STP
tommorow~silverchair
love roller coaster~chlli peppers ver.
dami pa eh...isip ulit
X-DW user...SPAUN convert!

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 04:40:50 PM »
Hazel?!? musta na?! :-D jack here...hehe sa akin....STP, Pearl Jam(ung Dave A. pa ang drummer), Soundgarden, Blind Melon, Nirvana, Razorback, POT...

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 09:54:56 PM »
Aw! I thought 90's was The Decade of Agression. I was into Metallica and Pantera those days but enjoys the flavor of grunge (or grunge-like) music of STP (taga-seattle ba 'to?) and Soundgarden. :wink:
So Be It.