hulika

Author Topic: First Ever Diezel Herbert in the Philippines  (Read 120160 times)

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
First Ever Diezel Herbert in the Philippines
« on: March 19, 2006, 10:03:52 PM »
Is this US$4100 amp worth the hype?  Can this 180 watt monster take down the Peavey JSX in Audiophile paco?  Is the 180 watt power section (6 EL 34s), which can be raised to 300 watts by using six 6550s, of this monster capable of projecting its bigness?

First Impressions:
Its heavy at 75 .lbs.  Has a long chassis which takes two people to carry.  This is as long as the old SUNN heads.  I don’t think I can gig with this thing.  Tolex is black with stainless steel corners, I hope. Smells like Armor All. Chassis color is brushed aluminum grey.  It doesn’t look like US$4100.  Its pretty mundane with German functionality in mind.  The labels are spray painted, not even embossed.

On the positive side, the controls are well laid out and clearly labeled.  Pots are not packed and there are so many toggle switches to my amazement are all FETs!!! First time for me to see toggle like switches that FET on any guitar amp.  

Day 1 Honeymoon:
To summarize, nothing in the Philippines can stand up to what it can do – which is to have three distinct yet great sounding channels (actually four if you count the +/- switch on the 2nd channel) on one amp and yet be flexible.  Each of the three channels will beat the majority of single channels and dual channel tube amps out here in terms of clarity, thickness, responsiveness, transparency and just plain good sounding overtones.  There is no harshness at all.  Walang sinabi ang Fender, Peavey or Marshall.  This amp sounds good even at bedroom levels.  Its is no joke.  The power section is designed to create surround sound.

Things can still change and this amp still has to be tested in a live setting.

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 10:13:14 PM »
how do you compare it against your amps in terms of flexibility. say i'm a metal head 3 times a week and van halen nut 3 times a week (day off ko ang sunday). how about the clean? best application?
Surf's Up!

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 10:22:32 PM »
Medyo I have had it for 6 hours pa lang but...

If you are that type, I think this is your amp.  Channel 3 does one of the best nu-metal and death.  Mas tight ito kaysa sa Bogner Uberschall.  May Chug factor at may droning note which is different from the Bogner's droning note.

Channel 2+ plus setting will get you surprisingly the best sounding tricked out marshall and Van Halen siguro around 90%.  

Channel 1 clean can beat a majority of fender clean.  But more importantly, mayroon highs ng Fender pero may dalang mids ng hiwatt as they claim.  The mids really thicken the clean channel -- pwede mag JAZZ and since its 180 watts hindi ka kukulangin sa clean headroom.

I just cannot explain pero may dinadagdag na certain quality ang Diezel na unique voicing talaga.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 12:53:15 AM »
Deym... Congrats on the new purchase sir OASGomez.
pasubok naman...kahit isang E powerd chord lang!

Offline markflo

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 12:56:16 AM »
Channel 1 clean can beat a majority of fender clean. But more importantly, mayroon highs ng Fender pero may dalang mids ng hiwatt as they claim. The mids really thicken the clean channel -- pwede mag JAZZ and since its 180 watts hindi ka kukulangin sa clean headroom.

that's exactly what i'm looking for! pero i don't need the other 2 channels...meron kayang single channel amp na sobrang ganda ang clean? parang fender + balls? any suggestions?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 12:57:13 AM »
Quote from: sonnyrayvaughn
Deym... Congrats on the new purchase sir OASGomez.
pasubok naman...kahit isang E powerd chord lang!

Korni no?

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: First Ever Diezel Herbert in the Philippines
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 12:58:31 AM »
Quote from: oasgomez

Walang sinabi ang Fender, Peavey or Marshall.  This amp sounds good even at bedroom levels..

that's a pretty bold statement considering that probably all the great records were through marshalls and/or fenders.

besides, all amps put out right now are probably all based on a fender and/or a marshall...heck, even jim marshall's first amp was based on the bassman!

Its is no joke.  The power section is designed to create surround sound.

now... why would a guitarist want surround sound?

good idea.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 01:42:07 AM »
Is this US$4100 amp worth the hype?  Can this 180 watt monster take down the Peavey JSX in Audiophile paco?  Is the 180 watt power section (6 EL 34s), which can be raised to 300 watts by using six 6550s, of this monster capable of projecting its bigness?

First Impressions:
Its heavy at 75 .lbs.  Has a long chassis which takes two people to carry.  This is as long as the old SUNN heads.  I don’t think I can gig with this thing.  Tolex is black with stainless steel corners, I hope. Smells like Armor All. Chassis color is brushed aluminum grey.  It doesn’t look like US$4100.  Its pretty mundane with German functionality in mind.  The labels are spray painted, not even embossed.

On the positive side, the controls are well laid out and clearly labeled.  Pots are not packed and there are so many toggle switches to my amazement are all FETs!!! First time for me to see toggle like switches that FET on any guitar amp.  

Day 1 Honeymoon:
To summarize, nothing in the Philippines can stand up to what it can do – which is to have three distinct yet great sounding channels (actually four if you count the +/- switch on the 2nd channel) on one amp and yet be flexible.  Each of the three channels will beat the majority of single channels and dual channel tube amps out here in terms of clarity, thickness, responsiveness, transparency and just plain good sounding overtones.  There is no harshness at all.  Walang sinabi ang Fender, Peavey or Marshall.  This amp sounds good even at bedroom levels.  Its is no joke.  The power section is designed to create surround sound.

can you get decent tones at bedroom settings?
Do you need to crank up the volume to get a really good tone?
What kind of sound can you get with this amp?
How's the cleans?
what brand of EL34s ?
What preamp tubes does it come with?
Can you describe the dirty channel?
wish you can post some clips dude.... you don't have to do anything fancy.

i've heard that amp before used by a really good guitar player here....I wondered if it was just his fingers or was it really the amp.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 02:39:16 AM »
Quote from: fretburner

Walang sinabi ang Fender, Peavey or Marshall.  This amp sounds good even at bedroom levels..

that's a pretty bold statement considering that probably all the great records were through marshalls and/or fenders.

besides, all amps put out right now are probably all based on a fender and/or a marshall...heck, even jim marshall's first amp was based on the bassman!

Its is no joke.  The power section is designed to create surround sound.

now... why would a guitarist want surround sound?

good idea.

Nice one Fretburner! I guess oasgomes always want to say bold statements.. we all should be used to it na.. tsaka pagbigyan na natin, its a 4100 dollars amp... sayang nga naman, he has to justify the 3000 bucks difference if he had chosen to buy a high end Peavey, Marshall or a Fender.

Oh and Bart, korni nga! nahahawa ka na sa kakornihan ko. hehe

Dami questions ni Dr.Phil!

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 06:03:24 AM »
Markflo,

I believe there are other amps out there with better single clean channels e.g. CAA OD100, Victorias, FUCHs, etc.  So, I do not discount better Cleans Sounds from other amps.  The only thing that I like about this clean channel is that it has its own unique voice and napagsama niya ang high ng Fender at mids ng hiwatt.  And talagang malaki ang headroom.

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 06:13:18 AM »
fretburner,

Pretty bold statement but remember I am just on my Honeymoon period Day 2.  But that being said, I have not heard of any Peavey, Marshall or Fender sound like this.  Parang kinuha niya ang "best of" at tinanangal ang "worst of".  Classic records nga talaga ang old Fenders and Marshalls and I believe they have their own thing going which this Herbert will NOT duplicate.  And I will still continue to collect the boutique versions of Fenders and Marshalls. But...

Diezel is different.  It has its own voicing.  Parang kung Ferrari at Porsche, biglang nagkaroon ng McLarren.

A little bit of trivia. Diezel actually began by first servicing recording studios.  For about a certain time period, hindi siya availaible sa general public.  It was actually recording producers and engineers who first bought these amps because they wanted to replace their Marshalls and Fenders in the studios.

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 06:22:37 AM »
Phil,

1) More than just decent tones at bedroom settings.  But of course, when you crank the thing it sounds bigger.  The amp never sounds harsh thru the whole volume range.

2) Will actually test cranking tomorrow in an outdoor area.

3) Sounds: clean all the way to death metal and anything in between.  No need for overdrive or distortion pedals which I like because my guitar transparency is maintained plus talagang lumalabas ang tunog ng kamay mo.

4) Cleans are excellent.  As i said before, pwede pang Jazz and Pop.

5) Pre-amp and Power amp tubes are RUBYs.

6) There are actually two dirty channels: channel 2 on + setting and channel 3.  Channel 2 sounds like the best modded marshall ever which means you can set a lot of gain on this channels too.  Notes just jump out at you.  Channel 3 is for heavy nu-metal thing and death metal.  But surprisingly, it is also good for ultra thick leads.  Since we have a swtichable mid boost/cut, you can get a more scooped out sound anytime.

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 06:30:44 AM »
Sonnyray,

I actually was choosing between the Diezel and the Komet KF50 limited edition which was more expensive by another US$500.  The guys at Ultrasound which carries both amps felts that the Diezel was better for what I want.  Of course, this guys, I believe are the best amp experts in the whole wide world at this point in time because they carry all the boutique stuff and surprise surprise carry Marshall and Peavey.  In fact, they have Peavey Classic 100s in their studios right beside these boutique stuff.  Also, you can only order special Brunos and Komets thru them.  

I forgot to mention that the Diezel has a lifetime warranty and that includes both power and output transformers (this I just want to verify because I cannot believe that)!!!  Also, the Herbert is MIDI channel switchable, MIDI FX loop switchable (It has three FX loops), MIDI master volume 2 assignable, MIDI mutable, and MIDI Mid Cut/Boost assignable.  I just have to learn this stuff and look for a MIDI pedal board.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 06:45:52 AM »
Sonnyray,

I actually was choosing between the Diezel and the Komet KF50 limited edition which was more expensive by another US$500.  The guys at Ultrasound which carries both amps felts that the Diezel was better for what I want.  Of course, this guys, I believe are the best amp experts in the whole wide world at this point in time because they carry all the boutique stuff and surprise surprise carry Marshall and Peavey.  In fact, they have Peavey Classic 100s in their studios right beside these boutique stuff.  Also, you can only order special Brunos and Komets thru them.  

I forgot to mention that the Diezel has a lifetime warranty and that includes both power and output transformers (this I just want to verify because I cannot believe that)!!!  Also, the Herbert is MIDI channel switchable, MIDI FX loop switchable (It has three FX loops), MIDI master volume 2 assignable, MIDI mutable, and MIDI Mid Cut/Boost assignable.  I just have to learn this stuff and look for a MIDI pedal board.

Ahh them Germans, typical.. technical perfectionists .. im sure pamatay and gain channel nyan... just the looks, looks death metal na. Im thinking Rammstein sound!

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 07:26:40 AM »
yey! congrats!

180W of all-tube power? if you play a stadium that might be loud enough..

180w at a bar.. :? switchable?

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 07:42:25 AM »
Jack in a Vox,

You wont feel the power curve.  It projects good tone at any volume -- highly recommended for club use -- no PA needed -- because you have enough power to project cleans.  Question now is?  How loud can it go.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 08:29:59 AM »
Phil,
1) More than just decent tones at bedroom settings.  But of course, when you crank the thing it sounds bigger.

(at dirty channel)
hmmmm.....that I have to hear.....most high gain amps at bedroom levels sounds fizzy and buzzy or really bassy....thus you have to crank it or use a  power attenuator.....does it have a master volume then?

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 11:14:18 AM »
Sonnyray,

Besides the awesome sound, the midi capability is one of the perks that got me looking towards the Diezel a few years back when I was looking for an amp. My choices were Deizel, Engl or Framus. Just didn't have enough dough to get one :cry:

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 11:17:43 AM »
Quote from: Phil
Phil,
1) More than just decent tones at bedroom settings.  But of course, when you crank the thing it sounds bigger.

(at dirty channel)
hmmmm.....that I have to hear.....most high gain amps at bedroom levels sounds fizzy and buzzy or really bassy....thus you have to crank it or use a  power attenuator.....does it have a master volume then?

By the way, Phil, I need to try your power attenuator next jam eb with my map. My amp sounds great live and practice but I feel that I'm not getting the full potential when I'm indoors with the volume down. It has master volume but still not the same feel as live loud cranked sound.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 02:15:20 PM »
Quote from: stratman1
Quote from: Phil
Phil,

(at dirty channel)

By the way, Phil, I need to try your power attenuator next jam eb with my map. My amp sounds great live and practice but I feel that I'm not getting the full potential when I'm indoors with the volume down. It has master volume but still not the same feel as live loud cranked sound.
sure...thats what its for.....
odd though...you have a master volume ...and it doesn't do the trick?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 02:35:58 PM »
haha...the heading for this posting really caught my eye, quite an obnoxious statement. But, hey, thats my opinion and what do I know?

I have to agree with oas on the Diezel, I've got a VH4S and it sounds different. Not better than the Plexis, Soldano SLOs, old and new Mesa Rectifiers or even the Engls, the Framus Dragons or the Bogner Shivas which I really love. Just different. When I listened to the Herbert and the VH4 series, the dirty channels sounded a LOT like a cranked VHT PitBull - angry, loud, with a very heavy tight bottom end. Think Helmet during the Aftertaste sessions. And that was through a Marshall 1960 cab which tends to be on the trebly side!

The Diesels can go plenty loud and breathes pretty well in terms of tonal balance and clarity even at high volumes. I could only crank mine a little past 12 o'clock without making everything near the cabs (a pair of straight  Rectifier 4x12s) vibrate like hell.

Its good and nice but overkill in a lot of cases but works wonders when your record with hit for heavier stuff. I STILL enjoy playing through small 2x10 Fender DeVille amps more these days because it doesn't kill my ears as much.

Phil, Stratman...have you tried using the Palmer PDI-03? I found out that Joe Satch uses one of these to run his JSX straight through disc when recording at home. No cabs needed...just plug your amp straight into it. I am kickin myself for not having known about this thing all the time...now, if I can only find one.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2006, 02:47:09 PM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
Phil, Stratman...have you tried using the Palmer PDI-03? I found out that Joe Satch uses one of these to run his JSX straight through disc when recording at home. No cabs needed...just plug your amp straight into it. I am kickin myself for not having known about this thing all the time...now, if I can only find one.
I think I was looking at that during the time I was having that problem...I took the THD route because the Palmer was not in my budget....I only do this as a hobby. :wink:

Offline toybitz

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 03:01:49 PM »
Jack in a Vox,

You wont feel the power curve.  It projects good tone at any volume -- highly recommended for club use -- no PA needed -- because you have enough power to project cleans.  Question now is?  How loud can it go.

galing niyan Alex ah. hybrid ng iba't ibang klaseng amp.  I'm really drooling over that clean sound you're describing.

pagnagtone party...sama ako please.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2006, 03:16:11 PM »
Phil, how is the THD working for you?
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2006, 03:30:34 PM »
Phil,

There is a second global assignable Master Volume pot.  Based on my limited experience with the Herbert, the master volume really functions like a true master volume because even at low volumes the overdrive still sounds thick.  It does not sound thin or fizzy.  If master volumes were designed to be this good, I guess we dont need attenuators.  I think Mojave Ampworks has something similar.