hulika

Author Topic: What cables do you use?  (Read 99441 times)

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: What cables do you use?
« Reply #550 on: December 25, 2014, 09:29:19 AM »
What if I want to use a shorter ( 5 feet ) cable from amp to pedal board and then guitar cable to guitar?

What would be the difference in sound if I use patch cable material from amp to pedal board, as opposed to guitar cable - pedal board - guitar cable?

Let's say an SIS evidence from amp to pedal board.

Technically, when you are using a shorter cable, you are lessening the total capacitance of your cable. Therefore, more high frequencies should come through.

SIS Evidence is actually the solderless plug, not the cable itself. To use the SIS Evidence plug, you have to use a particular cable with a solid core, much like the Evidence Monorail or probably the Lava mini SOAR.

Although the SIS Evidence plug + Monorail is a very effective and sturdy patch cable combo, I would still be hesitant to use it for "guitar-board" or "board-amp" applications. Such application would require an even more sturdy cable-to-plug connection that can withstand the rigors of continuous movement and the possibility of being stepped on and coiled around, etc..
The only advantage I see with using the SIS Evidence + Monorail combo for guitar-board or board-amp use is that it's very lightweight and feels like nothing. Then again, there are other similar cables which may be equally lightweight but are designed specifically for guitar-board or board-amp use, such as some George Ls.

As for the difference in sound, I'm not too particular on the differences... but I do rely on the cable's specs heavily when choosing what cable to get (type of plugs, capacitance per foot, length, material of composition, price).

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #551 on: December 25, 2014, 11:41:33 AM »
Thanks Sir Chino,

So it would'nt matter then if its less than 5 feet, amp to pedalboard, any brand will do? Yes its the sis and monorail.

If price is not an issue, what would your cable of choice, from git to speaker cables be?

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #552 on: December 25, 2014, 01:14:22 PM »
Chino - I find sis+monorail even sturdier than any soldered cable. I tested yanking it and it wouldn't break. It was used to carry and amp cab with speakers hindi natatanggal yung connection. It's because of the screw in mechanism . The only reason why I wouldn't use it for guitar to board connection is because it is not flexible due to the solid core.

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #553 on: December 25, 2014, 01:25:29 PM »
right now i'm using a surelock 20ft cable.

previously used a surelock 10ft cable. noon di ako particular sa tunog, but when i tried the longer cable out, very very noticeable yung drop in high frequencies so my guitar, which already sounds murky as it is, turned murkier.

currently hunting for higher end cables to get me more high freqs through.
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #554 on: December 25, 2014, 01:34:03 PM »
i use evidence audio and belden guitar cable. meron ako lava, the braided wore one, expensive, never liked it. everything sounds flat with that thing. i prefer lava patch cables over GL though. evidence for speaker cable too.
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #555 on: December 25, 2014, 01:44:30 PM »
Evidence... looks like I need to check their stuff out.  :mrgreen:
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #556 on: December 25, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »
Thanks Sir Chino,
So it would'nt matter then if its less than 5 feet, amp to pedalboard, any brand will do? Yes its the sis and monorail.
If price is not an issue, what would your cable of choice, from git to speaker cables be?

If price was not an issue, then I'd probably be hoarding Evidence, Van den Hul, and Alessandro guitar cables.  :money: :money: :money:

Chino - I find sis+monorail even sturdier than any soldered cable. I tested yanking it and it wouldn't break. It was used to carry and amp cab with speakers hindi natatanggal yung connection. It's because of the screw in mechanism . The only reason why I wouldn't use it for guitar to board connection is because it is not flexible due to the solid core.

That's actually one downside that I see, being it a solid core cable (and maybe solderless, although I've never had a connection issue with my previous LAVA Clear Connect being solderless as well).... I've seen Cayle konk out a SIS and Monorail while screwing in the cable. Too much stress maybe. Solid core broke inside the plug.  He got it fixed eventually, though. :lol:

I'm with you with them solid cores not being flexible. We had a LAVA Soar before. Users will know how stiff they are.  :lol:

I'll leave them SIS + Monorail for patch cable use (that's what they're designed for, anyway) and stick to my trusty LAVA ELC for instrument cables.  :-)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 02:54:49 PM by r_chino18 »

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #557 on: December 26, 2014, 02:30:22 AM »
The high end Lava is a Van den hul. It's expensive! lol.

Allesandro cables another thing to check out.

Offline sideways08

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #558 on: September 08, 2015, 03:09:10 PM »
mga sir question lang panu maalis yung humming na tunog?

kailangn ba talaga bilin mu yung mga mgagandang klase na cable?

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #559 on: September 08, 2015, 04:43:54 PM »
mga sir question lang panu maalis yung humming na tunog?

kailangn ba talaga bilin mu yung mga mgagandang klase na cable?

You'll have to isiolate what's causing the humming first. Could be a bad cable, inadequate shielding, nearby equipment, etc. As for cables, investing in a decent quality cable is a must for minimizing noise issues. You don't have to get the very expensive ones naman.

Offline Screamous

• Veteran Member
« Reply #560 on: September 08, 2015, 04:51:27 PM »
Bullet Cable 10 ft.

Guitar > Amp  :wink:
Masters are once an apprentice

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #561 on: September 11, 2015, 03:58:49 PM »
Klotz Kik Cable (20 feet), I have two of these which are a pain sa ligpitan and sobra haba para kong snake charmer pag tumutugtog.  Cut one of the cables and soldered neutrik plugs now i have two cables, these cables have been with me since 2008, the last batch from audiophile i think - now they are distributed by Yamaha.  I still have the other one untoched(20 ft) but I don't think I'll convert that to two cables just yet.

pedalboard patch cords - used to use mooer patch cables and z-connectors which are a total waste of money.  i now use 3 evidence audio cables i made and two remaining solderless planetwaves patch cords - gold plated tips (nawala na yun 3 ko  :-( )

I'll get 4 more evidence audio sis plugs and a foot more of monorails when i have the moolah.

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #562 on: September 18, 2015, 08:33:51 AM »
Evidence. Try it. Youll never go back to cheap cables.

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #563 on: September 19, 2015, 06:29:47 PM »
Any feedback sa Kirlin cable? Cheap pero US made.
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #564 on: September 20, 2015, 11:08:16 AM »
Any feedback sa Kirlin cable? Cheap pero US made.

i'm intrigued by kirlin cables also. saw only a few reviews on the net.
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #565 on: September 21, 2015, 09:34:28 AM »
hahahaha naghihintay rin ako ng feedback sa kirlin. konti nga feedback, so i went custom made Nobelle + Neutrik hahaha
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #566 on: September 21, 2015, 01:22:32 PM »
hahahaha naghihintay rin ako ng feedback sa kirlin. konti nga feedback, so i went custom made Nobelle + Neutrik hahaha

you can't go wrong with custom cables as long as good brands ang materials and maganda pagkatrabaho.
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #567 on: September 21, 2015, 02:46:09 PM »
you can't go wrong with custom cables as long as good brands ang materials and maganda pagkatrabaho.

have to agree. just wish Audiophile still carried the KLOTZ per meter. wala na eh :(
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline dirk

« Reply #568 on: September 21, 2015, 03:05:10 PM »
Assembled... Van damme cable + neutrix silent plugs

Offline Rayel.Baruela

« Reply #569 on: November 18, 2015, 02:54:59 PM »
mga Sr. sino po kabisado ang mga product ng cables na binebenta sa mga store po dito sa atin specially manila palist down namna po. thanks po.  :wave:
Karma is a Bitch!...Right???

Offline Thesurjen

« Reply #570 on: November 22, 2015, 10:23:25 PM »
I bought a planet waves instrument cable 2 months ago. Maingat ako sa gamit, pero it went bad all of a sudden.  <_<

Offline Rayel.Baruela

« Reply #571 on: November 25, 2015, 08:39:55 AM »
I bought a planet waves instrument cable 2 months ago. Maingat ako sa gamit, pero it went bad all of a sudden.  <_<

:cry: same tayo plano maingat din ako sa gamit. pero nung sinabe mu yan Sr. baka dina planet waves ang bilhn kung cable. baka mag Klotz nalang ako siguro.
Karma is a Bitch!...Right???

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #572 on: November 25, 2015, 02:00:07 PM »
IMHO, madali talga masira planet waves lalo na yung mga premade. yung kabanda ko, conk out na agad patch cables niya tapos yung isa naman naming kabanda, yung instrument cable may noise na.

Offline fender101

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #573 on: November 26, 2015, 12:30:23 PM »

Wala naman talagang matibay na cable depende din kasi sa humidity ng storage mo. Ganyan din nangyari sa kin kaya pang bahay na lang yung planet waves cable with circuit breaker ko. Mas matibay pa para sa kin yung nabili kong stagg cable with right angle plugs :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/don-james-delosreyes

Ref/s: skeletonboy, manok, DevilMay, hahaha!, mawts_gwaps, bwizett, moncseb, Overture, etc...

Offline jajacabel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #574 on: November 26, 2015, 12:41:18 PM »
Rockcable by warwick and my almost 3 years cort guitar cable. Will be trying out kirlin very soon.