hulika

Author Topic: The Sitti Appreciation Thread  (Read 17806 times)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
The Sitti Appreciation Thread
« on: February 14, 2008, 08:01:15 AM »
I really hate her. She's very original in an annoying kind of way. My head hurts when I hear her sing, just like scratching a blackboard. Can't put my finger on it why. Maybe because her voice emanates from her nose or something.  Sometimes she sings out of key when singing live but I guess because her genre is jazz,she can get away with it.

I was thinking, maybe my musical tastes are not too evolved that's why I hate her to bits. But then again, I used to listen a lot to jazz (still do at times). But I still can't understand why this lady is being rammed down our throat and being passed off as a jazz diva. Okay na sana when she graces her niches , pero when her voice makes it to a nescafe' commercial and pollutes my morning air...ibang storya na ata to.

Ewan ko ba. I'm usually very tolerant even of things that I don't like. Pero this lady makes me wanna rant. Is this another form of dog food that the music industry wants us to eat and smile ? I mean, rants about MYMP and their un-originality abound, but this...let's say, I'll take MYMP any day.

Help me out and enlighten me how and why I should, or could appreciate Sitti. Maybe my gut is not in the right place. Bar the fact that she's a pretty girl of course, let's think with our upper heads.

Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline renvill2

Re: The Sitti Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 08:43:42 AM »
she spoke fondly of you...

:-D

william251082

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 04:10:30 PM »
Just listened to some of her music, I don't really hear any jazz influence on her singing, it's like an opm singer with a bossa nova backing track (i'm not saying that it's so bad). I should see her perform live to say more about her... From what I heard now... to be honest, I don't like it. Maybe they want something like a fusion of OPM and jazz :-D

People are different, that's my OWN opinion!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 09:37:18 PM »
for my own opinion, she's Ok!  :-) kesa naman kila agot isidro. (sorry, couldn't help it..  :-D) Anyway, there are many great artists here in the philippines. Guys, you should check Skarlet too, Madam Skarlet is da bomb!  :-)
It's not what you play, It's not how you play, It's who you are. - Aya Yuson

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 11:25:38 PM »
..yikes, I hope one of our premier musicians doesn't see this.... please please no....

i kinda agree that it is a "nasal" thing.... but oh my god, you just had to drag in MYMP. a group who thinks making acoustic versions of great pop hits is the next "big thing" - not.

time will tell as to whether Sitti's music will evolve or that she will move on to other heavier stuff...
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 10:14:22 AM »
At least Juris has a heavenly voice. In terms of originality, they're not too far off as Sitti just recycles old tunes and "bossas" those up. Granted though, their arrangements are far more complex than MYMP's .

Now if Juris learns to Jazz and ditches Chin for a Jazz backing band...now maybe that's gonna be something.

Sitti will evolve ? She better. After the fad has gone and the public has decided that they don't like this form of Jazz, she'll be washed out very quickly.

Anyway, sincerely, I asked / started this thread because I am exploring my own musical personality and questioning myself. Am I so far down the musical tastes chain that I am missing something ? Is it an acquired taste (much like sushi and sashimi) that someone has to guide me into it and show me the fine points of why Sitti is the next hottest thing ? Yup it's self-introspection and a learning experience. Or OTOH, baka naman nag-imbento lang sila ng ngongo na style ng singing and messed-up meter and phrasing, and Sitti is in fact an experiment to see if the public will bite, on the sole premise that her singing style and is very different. I dunno. Someone tell me :D

I mean, this is coming from someone who adores Claire Marlowe, Kevin Lettau and Julia Fordham. Now those are Jazz Divas. Nabakya lang but that's a testament to their vocal gifts, in my book.  Even perhaps Jaya could make it in that list if she focused on Jazz, her saxophone-like voice would do very well in there. 

..yikes, I hope one of our premier musicians doesn't see this.... please please no....

i kinda agree that it is a "nasal" thing.... but oh my god, you just had to drag in MYMP. a group who thinks making acoustic versions of great pop hits is the next "big thing" - not.

time will tell as to whether Sitti's music will evolve or that she will move on to other heavier stuff...

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 11:14:31 AM »

"Now if Juris learns to Jazz and ditches Chin for a Jazz backing band...now maybe that's gonna be something."  i agree. she can sing but she needs to go solo and do originals..

Claire Marlowe naman and Julie Fordham are in not really into Jazz but they are in their own field. how about Sofia naman? he he
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline purplehaze

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
Haven't you noticed? It seems that she is no longer being packaged as "Bossa Queen or Diva" OR WHATEVER her manager would like to package her, (anyways this is a democratic country) shift na raw to POP he he he hindi na kasi 'uso' Bossa Nova, perhaps nakagawa na sila ng maraming pera or nakabawi na sa 'investment' kay Sitti.. so goodbye na bossa or jazz. Ano kaya maisip nila next para kay Sitti ?

POP Diva ? Country Queen? or World Music Diva (Dibaaaa)???
 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 04:13:54 PM »
i used to like her, debut album...but i just didn't like her new tunes... recycle recycle...old classic tunes given bossa beat...

and yah...juris has a better timbre but both of them are in record label trap of revival fever.... :-D

Offline ibysdad

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 05:56:43 AM »
if it's bossa nova, the female artists that I listen to are Astrud Gilberto, Flora Purim...

Sitti's music is more on the very pop commercial side.

Me, I dont have a thing for bossa nova flavored pop tunes, or bossa nova that has tagalog lyrics with that "pa cute" content , it just sounds so strange. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 08:16:59 AM by ibysdad »

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »
Maybe I'll appreciate her if she makes centerfold of FHM. Hehehe. Kaka-sabi ko lang let's think with our upper heads mwahehehe.

Oh well.

Offline nhojie

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 01:59:19 AM »
Maybe I'll appreciate her if she makes centerfold of FHM. Hehehe. Kaka-sabi ko lang let's think with our upper heads mwahehehe.

Oh well.

:-D :-D
+10
\\\\\\\"watch a man play for an hour and u can learn more about him than in talking to him for a year\\\\\\\"-PLATO

Offline spife

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 02:21:12 AM »
A very ironic thread  :wink: Pero ako gusto ko siya, I don't know why, but then again there are nuances in her voice i wish i could erase.  :-D

Offline dariusbabylon

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 07:50:52 AM »
Instant Sitti in your living room :
Get a casio keyboard
Set auto accompaniment to "bossa nova"
Get a songhits and pick any song. Heck, pick an Emo song!
Ask Inday to take time off from ironing and pull out the old karaoke machine

Voila

william251082

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 08:12:03 PM »
Instant Sitti in your living room :
Get a casio keyboard
Set auto accompaniment to "bossa nova"
Get a songhits and pick any song. Heck, pick an Emo song!
Ask Inday to take time off from ironing and pull out the old karaoke machine

Voila
WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAA!!!LOL!!!!
EXACTLY!!!

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
Sitti sings flat

jakobspiral

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 01:04:00 AM »

Oh well.

Maybe this will help your imagination... :-)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 02:13:01 AM »
Haay. Anlamig sa mata.

Pero ansakit sa tenga.  :mrgreen:

Offline renvill2

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 06:29:12 AM »

and these, too:

william251082

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 03:11:03 PM »
yeah right! pede na sa eat bulaga :-D

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 12:18:30 AM »

Paging Lola Aya! You must come to her defense! (Whack them over their heads with an issue of FHM!)

Honestly folks, I'm held hostage by her album everytime I have lunch at this joint... it does kinda get to you. my only relief is knowing that erskine plays guitar for her... erskine's a mean mofo, ditto for his brother, very talented axe slingers.

Sana she does an issue of FHM. haven't bought any of them lately, the covergirls all look photoshop enhanced or tampered...

OT fafa BAMF... our very own caren is on the issue with Jennelyn on the cover, just in case our forumites are interested in checking out... the issue!
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 01:11:04 AM »
guys please put substance into your comments, and cut down on the sexist crap. wala naman problema in expressing our opinions. we just have to be objective about what we say.

ersatz bossa nova is way better than the RnB swill that some people put out in the local music scene.

peace!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 02:05:21 AM »
Paging Lola Aya! You must come to her defense! (Whack them over their heads with an issue of FHM!)

Sana she does an issue of FHM. haven't bought any of them lately, the covergirls all look photoshop enhanced or tampered...

Ahh...you haven't been inspecting the PIMP bookshelves then. You know...the one that used to carry all my junk :D

OT fafa BAMF... our very own caren is on the issue with Jennelyn on the cover, just in case our forumites are interested in checking out... the issue!

Yeah I was at Tiendesitas 2 weekends ago and checked the newstand. They got Nov 07, Dec 07, Feb 08...WHAT !!! No Jan 08 !!! Que Horror !

guys please put substance into your comments,

Me substance naman ah. The white, icky kind nyahehehe jk pare :D

and cut down on the sexist crap. wala naman problema in expressing our opinions. we just have to be objective about what we say.

Well...music is art and the appreciation of art is subjective. She's a work of art though :D . Oops...hehehe. :D

ersatz bossa nova is way better than the RnB swill that some people put out in the local music scene.

peace!

Agreed. Bossa Nova is great. I love Flora Purim and...oh she escapes me..the girl from Ipanema...but Bossa Bastarda though is...oh well never mind.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 11:53:30 PM »

peace!

yo nonoy! long time no jam  :-( sana we can all get together with deacon, mahavisnu and jim for some pogi jazz one time, I've been missing the music.

as for your statement, yes, i totally have to agree with you. i would take sitti's bossa any day over the rubbish that is force fed to our ears when we commute... i dont even wanna know who or what sings the songs on our local radio (but i should, so i know who to aim for!!!  :evil:
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2008, 01:32:56 AM »
ha ha, sige. it seems si Deac ang busy naman ngayon... yeah, i would love to listen to you and Mahavishnu or perhaps even Deltaslim... any given sunday ha...