hulika

Author Topic: Keeley review  (Read 7745 times)

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
Keeley review
« on: February 06, 2007, 02:13:04 PM »
Share ko lng sainyo baka makatulong  :-D

Keeley Ds1 if you love the stock ds1 you will certainly appreciate this pedal. Very close sounding to the ds1 but more round, very responsive and crisp and very balanced, low noise to no noise at all. This is what soloing is all about. Hands down.

Keeley Mt2 this pedal is like a monster in a box, very powerful, you need to tweak a lot before getting the right setting you want but its sound is very round, sharp, very distinct. It has it’s own characteristic when you hear it. Very responsive and it has something I can’t put into words. I love this for chug chug rhythm because of its screaming power.  You can also use this for solos. Harmonics is also unbelievable.

Keeley Tr2 this pedal is awesome; I like the volume and depth knob. Straightforward settings. Sounds very balanced and well-rounded tone. Hands down pedal again.

Personally for me these pedals are worth keeping

Share naman kayo ng sainyo???

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Keeley review
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 02:14:43 PM »
..sold my Keeley DS-1 Ultra Mod after a month....didn't like how it sound with my amp.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 02:17:03 PM »
:-( I only tested it with my line6, I'll try testing it with my tube.

Offline deadlifted

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 02:26:41 PM »
ano difference ng tunog niyang Keeley sa stock MT2? gusto ko makarinig ng review ng pinoy para mas maniniwala ako. :lol:
proud owner of Max Rufo custom guitars. call (02) 4427908

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 02:29:44 PM »
i love mine. the ds1 was my main crunch pedal and the bd2, its partner, the boost for years. i used the ds1 almost exclusively (thru a laney VC30) for all the crunch sounds in Sisig's last recording session, which may not be the best example of what its capable of but here they are anyway. thats me with the ds1 playing sa right channel for all the songs i think. :-D

mindanao ds1 all over. ced played the solo here. he used a bad monkey through a fender stage 1000 i think.
hey teacher ds1 and double tracked with a zoom ultra fuzz
luna ds1 ulit. ced solos then me.
pagtatalo ds1 pushing the VC30 into gonzo drive.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 02:31:29 PM by nathanmanansala »

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 07:07:28 PM »
great playing, Nathan. nice tone as well. anong guitar and pickups ng guitar na gamit mo sa recording? factors din kasi yun e. thanks! :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 10:06:47 PM »
Jun Gats,

Bring your keeley DS1 when you come over the shop. We will A/B it with Anton's Bakemono.

Ooo...just finished another Bakemono ! Sakit sa likod ! Ke bluenote naman ! Na-tanggal yung GAS nya for a 3-stage tube pedal !
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 10:07:45 PM »
lol! just can't help it. can you?  :lol:
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 10:23:08 PM »
Umm...can I...uh...what ? A/B a Keeley with a Bakemono ?

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 10:40:20 PM »
Umm...can I...uh...what ? A/B a Keeley with a Bakemono ?

challenge ito!  :evil:
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 10:50:16 PM »
I dont play that much lately, and my last dirt pedal I've been using has been RonnieA's DF2.

Let's just say, lots of guys like it, nay, floored by it. I like it too, but it's not my personal preference. I like something with a little more painful dirt than the Bakemono. Wow. To think that this is the first BAMFx supermod. Or maybe I myself still have to discover the joys of it for now, up until I start playing and practicing again in earnest. I don't even have one yet (my DS-1 is still Sushimod v2). This is more Anton's baby, and I'm just the absentee father (hey that didn't sound right hahaha)

So whether it's to be said that the Bakemono kicks a Keeley DS-1 in the ass, it's really up to DS1 afficionados to say so.  :-D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 10:54:36 PM by BAMF »

Chito

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 11:14:12 PM »
I have the MIJ DS-1 and a Keeley Ultra DS-1 both of which I don't use much. My main distortion pedal before I got hit with gas was an MIJ DF-2. I used it for years and years, always liked it better than the MIJ DS-1. There was something with the DF-2 that I find less "muddy" than the DS-1 when you push it to max gain. As for the Keeley, it is a lot smoother than the stock DS-1, less shrilly and less noisier too. But  I still didn't find it better than the DF-2 I've been using which I have since replaced with a Tonebone Classic on my pedalboard.  I consider the Tonebone Classic, a souped-up version of a DS-1, which is probably why I like it. Going back to the Keeley, I find it also more responsive to pick attack than the stock version, altho the Tonebone is much much better in that aspect. Interestingly enough, when I feel lazy bringing my main board and decide to take the boss bcb-60, I don't have the keeley in there but rather the DF-2.

Just my opinion.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 11:37:31 PM »
i never tried a keeley or any DS-1 MOD but the DS-1 made in korea stock always did the job for me during my pearl jam , alice in chains covering days when i was still w/ my band as a guitarist

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 03:57:59 AM »
had two of those keeley ds1s before and was forced to sell it to get something else. wouldnt buying it back or getting another one. extremely nice tone for me. works best on my lp.

as for the keeley mt2. the insturcion says warning on the middle toggle switch. i advise you follow it. i tried it with a couple of different setting and my speakers just went brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

over all, i loved them both. and im gonna get them again one way or the other. for keeps this time. i hope.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 04:37:23 AM »
I have both DS-1 and MT-2. They fit my needs for gain and drive. Totally different beast. Great tone on their own rights. Both very flexible with their 3 gain stages.

DS-1 I can get from a nice warm gain to a Marshall hi gain sound. MT-2 is more for the metal in me. Galing sa chug-chugan. Tight ang sound.

As far as noise is concern, they have as much noise as you would expect a hi gain pedal would have. Actually, I've heard more noisier, expensive pedals than these.

Kanya kanya lang yan. Di lahat gusto ang Keeley DS-1 and MT-2. It all boils down to what you like.

ME LYKES!!! :-o :-D

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 06:48:36 AM »
Jun Gats,

Bring your keeley DS1 when you come over the shop. We will A/B it with Anton's Bakemono.

Ooo...just finished another Bakemono ! Sakit sa likod ! Ke bluenote naman ! Na-tanggal yung GAS nya for a 3-stage tube pedal !

Sir Bamf, wow toneparty ulit. Hehehe, gus2 ko din tlgang matest yung mod mo sir ng makapag handa ng ds1   :-D

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 08:06:45 AM »
great playing, Nathan. nice tone as well. anong guitar and pickups ng guitar na gamit mo sa recording? factors din kasi yun e. thanks! :)
almost all my rhythm tracks (i did 2 for each song) were done on the sunburst tele with antiquity pickups into the clean channel of the vc30 with the ds1 providing all the dirt. drive at around 2 o'clock, tone between 9 and 10 o'clock, level at 10 o'clock, seeing eye mode. except for teacher where i used the '52ri with texas specials for the 2 rhythm tracks, 1 track with the keeley ds1, another with the zoom ultra fuzz set to emulate a buzzy fuzz face with dying batteries. since then, nagswap na ng pickups yung 2 guitars. :-D

the leads for teacher and luna were played on the 'burst tele with the keeley bd2 (drive at 11 o'clock, tone at 12 o'clock and level at 11 o'clock) for extra oomph. yung lead nung was pagtatalo was a 2004 ibanez S470 (dimarzio breed at the neck, steve's special at the bridge) with the keeley ds1 into the crunch channel of the vc30, drive and tone at 10 o'clock, level at 2 o'clock, ultra mode.

basically, my old live setup. no eq'ing on the guitars. or kung meron man, konting konti lang kasi i have a rough mix of all the songs without the final vocals and leads, just my rhythm tracks, which sounded exactly like they did in the final mix. tracked dry with two mics, one in front of the amp, dead center, and one a few feet away for ambience. a little reverb added was on mixdown. lahat yata ng crunch rhythms were played on the bridge pickup.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 08:10:46 AM by nathanmanansala »

Offline deadlifted

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 12:35:37 PM »
ganda talaga nung hey teacher. :-D
proud owner of Max Rufo custom guitars. call (02) 4427908

Offline markflo

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 01:07:49 PM »
So whether it's to be said that the Bakemono kicks a Keeley DS-1 in the ass, it's really up to DS1 afficionados to say so. 

c'mon...you're pulling my egg...este leg....  :lol:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 02:13:30 PM »
si nathan ang nagrecommend sa akin ng ds-ultra. nung narinig ko yung set nila (sisig) impressed ako sa tunog ng keeley (we used the same amp for the gig) kaya months later bumili rin ako ng keeley pedals ko.

oks ang ds-1 keeley at stage volume levels pero sa bahay yung gain ng amp ko ang lagi kong ginagamit kasi mas madaling magdial ng spongy disto at low volume. i'm really happy with the ds-ultra kahit bcb-6 ang lagi kong dala sa mga gigs, yung ds-ultra lang ang madalas kong gamitin. nakapag-front act na yung banda namin for queso and alamid, so far i'm really happy with the results (i remember a girl being thrown up in the air sa moshpit dun sa set namin)  :-D

i admire BAMF's engineering talent to modify/build pedals, pero i'm content with my ds-ultra. i never bought another disto pedal after the keeley purchase.  :-D

contentment ends GAS  :-D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 02:17:00 PM by randymarsh »
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline tito rens

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 04:55:54 PM »
Keeley MT-2 can be sumarized in 2 words.... "Chug Chug"

I never thought something that small can chug that hard! The triple-diode mode sounds awsome and the the ultra setting blew and tore the speakers of a marshall valvestate in a gig we played!

Its a real pain in the @$$ to dial in your initial settings at first, i almost broke my back bending down and dialling in settings for a good 8 hours... but i finally got that ballsy tone i was looking for. Harmonics wit this pedal sound priceless!

for the DS-1 I never really tried it...

hmmm... anyone ever think of modifying a DS-2?! hmmm... i wonder... :?
the race for perfection has no finish line

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 11:27:53 PM »
Keeley MT-2 can be sumarized in 2 words.... "Chug Chug"

I never thought something that small can chug that hard! The triple-diode mode sounds awsome and the the ultra setting blew and tore the speakers of a marshall valvestate in a gig we played!

Its a real pain in the @$$ to dial in your initial settings at first, i almost broke my back bending down and dialling in settings for a good 8 hours... but i finally got that ballsy tone i was looking for. Harmonics wit this pedal sound priceless!

for the DS-1 I never really tried it...

hmmm... anyone ever think of modifying a DS-2?! hmmm... i wonder... :?

or an sd-2. hehe
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 03:11:44 AM »
Keeley BD2 suits me fine for now... it's a tube amp in a box.  I also like the way it can clean up to almost pristine cleans :-D

Tele + BD2 + Veggie Joe's BD = mmmm :-)

hehe

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2007, 07:21:10 AM »
pag naka mod na ung ds1 pede ba lagyan ng switch to toggle between the mod and the stock sound?

Offline nicosci

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 04:46:06 AM »
Sprry for my dumb question but where do we pinoys keeleyfy our pedals? How much then?
Let USA invadeThe Philippines