hulika

Author Topic: The right AMP?  (Read 6732 times)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« on: February 22, 2006, 07:23:09 AM »
ano ba ang magandang amp (at effects narin) pang palm mute? yung tipong metal?

ano ang magandang amp pang clean tone?

salamat!
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 10:39:21 AM »
IMHO...

Sa akin, Mesa Rectifier. 3 channel, gain heaven. Hindi na ako gumagamit ng dist pedal. Straight to head na lang. Kuha from bluesy OD to nu-metal palm muted heavy riffs to shredding solos.

Kung pedal naman akin, e, Boss MT2 Keeley mod or Sans Amp GT2. Mainly made for high gain, metal music.

Clean tone amp akin, e, Rivera Quiana or Fandango.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 02:06:06 PM »
are those available locally (philippines)?  if so, do u know where i can get them? im not very familiar with how amps work and all. i just know combos.  so if i had a head i still need to get a cabinet (speakers) right? what would be a good combination?  thanks!!!
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline agentx44

• Veteran Member
The right AMP?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 02:34:32 PM »
Yep. You'll need a cabinet with good speakers in it.

You can check out jeyvi's Marshall rig. He's selling that one here (free delivery pa i think).
soylent green is people.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 02:57:47 PM »
As far as Pinas... you may want to go for a nice tube combo amp (Marshall is always nice and I belive you can find them there locally) and just match it with a distortion pedal. You might want to check the local music place there or any pawn shop or used musical instrument publications. One thing you can do is ask the local bands out there. They usually know where the best deals are.

Offline riffscreamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 03:58:20 PM »
Where can I get Mesa Boogie amps?

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 04:10:57 PM »
im very very interested in the mesa rectifier recording preamp.  but sadly, i think we can pick it up anywhere else BUT the philippines. ngrr.  so marshall combo's are good for metal palm muting?

thanks.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 04:25:02 PM »
Quote from: riffscreamer
Where can I get Mesa Boogie amps?

You may have a little difficulty in finding a Mesa Boogie there in PI. You can order direct from the company here in California or check in E-bay US. They have alot of used ones there. The only thing is that amps (except for the small practice amps) are heavy due to their speaker magnets (combo) and or their power transformers (head). You will surely pay a hefty fee for shipping not to mention the custom charges. Unless you know somebody that can bring you the amp when they come back home to Pinas, your best bet is to look for used amps locally. You might get lucky and find one out there.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 04:42:48 PM »
Quote from: starfugger
im very very interested in the mesa rectifier recording preamp.  but sadly, i think we can pick it up anywhere else BUT the philippines. ngrr.  so marshall combo's are good for metal palm muting?

thanks.

It is unfortunate that good amps are hard to find there. And if or when you do they're too expensive.

IMHO, not all Marshalls are good for palm muting. The old JCM 800/900 are great for rhythm and lead works but not enouogh gain and bottoms for palm muting. If you wil be using the old jcm series combo you will definitely have to use a OD or distortion pedal to give it a more tailored scooped mids and higher gain. The newer model, JCM 2000 series have a bit more gain and a scoop mid in the amp built in.

If you don't want the hassle of maintaining a tube amp then you might want to try out Randall amps. Solid state with lots of gain (as used by Dimebag and other nu-metal acts all over). Not sure if they're available there in PI, though.

Some will swear by tube amps and detest using solid state amps at all. I say it's all subjective. If it sounds good to you then use it.  :lol:

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 04:44:22 PM »
starfugger... are you going to use this in your recording studio?

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 04:52:36 PM »
i swear by tube amps!! :lol:  seriously i have tried lower model solid states vs. my fender blues deville and i always end up disappointed (distortion and clean tone).  im not sure if i can say the same about high quality solid state amps (never tried 'em).  the reason why im asking about palm muting is that so far in my experience with the fender de ville the sound is alright ... but it could be better.  i was just beginning to suspect that mabe tube amps arent the right tool for palm muting. but when it comes to raging distortions with long sustains, they rock! =D>

ive heard of randall yes but once again they are not available locally.  

thanks for the tips though.  i might cvheck out marshall instead.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 04:54:23 PM »
yes, stratman. i'm not a guitarist but im so into recording.  that explains my obsession :)

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 04:55:49 PM »
Glad I can help. Hope you find what your looking for.

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 08:23:08 PM »
i swear by tube amps!! :lol:  seriously i have tried lower model solid states vs. my fender blues deville and i always end up disappointed (distortion and clean tone).  im not sure if i can say the same about high quality solid state amps (never tried 'em).  the reason why im asking about palm muting is that so far in my experience with the fender de ville the sound is alright ... but it could be better.  i was just beginning to suspect that maybe tube amps arent the right tool for palm muting. but when it comes to raging distortions with long sustains, they rock! =D>

ive heard of randall yes but once again they are not available locally.  

thanks for the tips though.  i might cvheck out marshall instead.

maybe you don't even have to get another amp. try getting a quiet EQ pedal first, and go from there. i once tried an EQ pedal between my china squier strat straight into a zoom fire (?) 15w amp. pretty chunky. didn't sound like a tranny amp at all.. 8)

you can also try the peavey transtubes. get the biggest peavey combo you can find. (bandit 212) far as i know, they're the most available locally, and probably the cheapest brand new. i swear by their distorted channels, with or without a tubescreamer. just take care of them. they're not as hardy as you'd think.
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 08:48:23 PM »
Mesa for Hi Gain! :lol:  8)

Also, i think Line 6 can do decent sounds since studio musician ka naman. :D
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 08:57:48 PM »
yeah, mahybe id look into line 6 too, try to find some actual clips.  somehow i havent heard any simulated gtr sound that was as good as a mic'd tube amp. iba parin talaga. kaya when i heard about the rectifier recording pre sobrang natuwa ako. but of course, it's not easy to aquire these botique items.  there's shipping, and taxes, and isurance, etc.  by the time it gets here doble doble na yung cost.

spanky, i've tried a lot of eq settings and gtr effects.  maganda most of the time. sa palm mute lang mejo bitin talaga. i'll look into the peavey as well.  sa audiophile yan.  

thanks peeps!

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 09:48:03 PM »
The Mesa Dual Rectifier is my dream amp.  :(

Um...that's next to the Orange half-stacks.  :lol:

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 10:14:49 PM »
ok ba yung orange? sayang. meron nun sa rj waaaaaay back. they were pretty affordable.

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
The right AMP?
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 11:16:15 PM »
mesa nga sana... kaso... hmm.. wala nun d2 na readily available. simulators lng like the sansamp gt2, zoom g2, or ung sa line 6.

imo, ok naman na pang palm muting (chug-chug) yung mga peavey amps, both ss and tube models nila. then again, maybe it's just me.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 11:20:39 PM »
hey, i know u :) oo nga, yung chug-chug ang hinahanap ko, the chunky heavy kind. :)

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
The right AMP?
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2006, 11:24:43 PM »
hey, i know you too. hahahaha. and i LOVE your blues de ville. sobra.  :lol:

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
The right AMP?
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 06:44:19 AM »
starfugger,

I suggest you try all the local amps available to look for your ideal Palm Mute Sound.  You also have to decide if you go straight jack or if you need a pedal.  Bring that pedal along to test the amp.

In my opinion, all tube amps sound different so unless you can really give an articulate description or benchmark sound you want to get from your Palm Mute, it is hard to suggest.  In my limited experience, Marshall PMs are tighter than Mesa Boogie PMs.  Bogner PMs are bigger but looser.  Soldano PMs are just right.  VHT PMs have a tighter Marshall PM but are just clearer.  Fenders to me have the loosest PM but thats just me with my bias against Fenders. Etc...

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 07:07:01 AM »
you're right oasgomez.  that's the word: "TIGHT".  and yes PM's on the Fender de Ville sound a bit "scattered".  ang hirap i-describe using words.  anyway, when i get to the studio i will slice up a couple of mp3 samples to show you guys what i mean.  thanks!

af, the de ville rocks!!!!! it just doesn't like metal too much, hehe.  

someone here is selling a voodoo.  what about that?

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 07:37:10 AM »
Quote from: oasgomez
starfugger,

I suggest you try all the local amps available to look for your ideal Palm Mute Sound.  You also have to decide if you go straight jack or if you need a pedal.  Bring that pedal along to test the amp.

In my opinion, all tube amps sound different so unless you can really give an articulate description or benchmark sound you want to get from your Palm Mute, it is hard to suggest.  In my limited experience, Marshall PMs are tighter than Mesa Boogie PMs.  Bogner PMs are bigger but looser.  Soldano PMs are just right.  VHT PMs have a tighter Marshall PM but are just clearer.  Fenders to me have the loosest PM but thats just me with my bias against Fenders. Etc...

Well articulated, oasgomez :lol:

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
The right AMP?
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 07:41:55 AM »
you're right oasgomez.  that's the word: "TIGHT".  and yes PM's on the Fender de Ville sound a bit "scattered".  ang hirap i-describe using words.  anyway, when i get to the studio i will slice up a couple of mp3 samples to show you guys what i mean.  thanks!

af, the de ville rocks!!!!! it just doesn't like metal too much, hehe.  

someone here is selling a voodoo.  what about that?

Your right about the develli, star. It doesn't like metal that much. IMO the Deville are made specifically for blues type music so the lack of thightness.

About the VooDoo... my other guitar player is playing through one of those blue head 1/2 stack voodoo with those fancy lightings (mesmerizing, isn't it? Hehehe :shock: ). IMO the voodoo doesn't have enough gain to do metal chuga-chuga sound. Don't know why. Looks like a metal amp but sure doesn't sound like it. That's just me, hehehe :lol: