hulika

Author Topic: what kind of strings do you use and why?  (Read 246741 times)

Offline rad_12

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: what kind of strings do you use and why?
« Reply #1475 on: April 10, 2017, 12:15:21 AM »
i'm still using d'addario strings for my two 7 strings ( custom and schecter ) for my 6 string yamaha pacifica i'm using elixir planning to replace the strings for my new Max Rufo 6 string ng elixir. mas matagal buhay ng elixirs kesa d'addario IMHO.

Offline lockzackary

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1476 on: April 10, 2017, 10:25:40 AM »
mga 2 years na ako naka D'addario 85/15

nakasanayan ko na din, pero namimiss ko parin elixir

di ko nga lang afford hehe

di ko naman napuputol yung d'addario so feeling ko high quality din naman siya like elixirs
used for 30 minutes noodling everyday
tapos mga 8 hours sa weekends

Offline boybawang

• Netizen Level
« Reply #1477 on: May 03, 2017, 08:21:59 AM »
I've been switching back and forth between elixirs and daddarios. Daddarios feel and sound better to me but they just rust and die sooner :(

Offline iamppej

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1478 on: May 03, 2017, 08:27:22 AM »
I've been switching back and forth between elixirs and daddarios. Daddarios feel and sound better to me but they just rust and die sooner :(

depende siguro sa storage ng guitar mo paps. ung sakin na Daddario tumatagal naman.
If there is no music there is no life!  Just like If there is no GOD there is no LIFE!

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1479 on: May 03, 2017, 08:36:14 AM »

bilis din kalawangin nung d'addario gamit ko, kaya Elixir na lang palagi
Kahit na nasasaktan, Hindi pa rin mahindian

Offline iamppej

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1480 on: May 03, 2017, 08:41:02 AM »
sakin naman hindi. oks naman sya. hehehe. ewan ko lng.  :wave:
If there is no music there is no life!  Just like If there is no GOD there is no LIFE!

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1481 on: May 04, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »
Still Pyramid Strings -- Gauge 10.

Offline anjoesatriani

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1482 on: May 08, 2017, 09:42:35 AM »
I am a long time user of D'Addario, Ernie Ball, Roto Sound, and etc., and I only had a chance to try Elixirs 10-52 for dropped C tuning 2 months ago and I was blown away.

The hype is real!  :-o

2 months and still running, the strings still sound fresh and bright/twangy/djenty(or whatever you call it).  :-D It still has no signs of rust or roughness especially on the higher strings.
They say Elixir strings have flakes on the strings on the picking part when it goes on, yes it is, but it doesn't bother me, I think that's the coating/treatment applied by Elixir.

Overall, Elixir is great investment for your guitars, for twice the price but lasts 3-4x than other brands, it's definitely worth it.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1483 on: May 08, 2017, 10:27:34 AM »
I am a long time user of D'Addario, Ernie Ball, Roto Sound, and etc., and I only had a chance to try Elixirs 10-52 for dropped C tuning 2 months ago and I was blown away.

The hype is real!  :-o

2 months and still running, the strings still sound fresh and bright/twangy/djenty(or whatever you call it).  :-D It still has no signs of rust or roughness especially on the higher strings.
They say Elixir strings have flakes on the strings on the picking part when it goes on, yes it is, but it doesn't bother me, I think that's the coating/treatment applied by Elixir.

Overall, Elixir is great investment for your guitars, for twice the price but lasts 3-4x than other brands, it's definitely worth it.

welcome to the light, brother :D

on another note, I heard Cleartone strings are even better. just waiting for my strings to wear off and I might give them a try! :D
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1484 on: May 08, 2017, 11:11:53 AM »
Still pyramids for the simple reason that they bend better ... for better hiyaw (heh heh) and that they sound bigger ... even bigger than elixirs.

Of course, elixirs will last longer in terms of brightness.  But I am biased against bright strings.  So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1485 on: May 08, 2017, 11:14:57 AM »

^ boss firemodel, may distributor ba dito nyan? gusto ko itry for the hiyaw (hehehe)  :-D
Kahit na nasasaktan, Hindi pa rin mahindian

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1486 on: May 08, 2017, 12:10:57 PM »
Still pyramids for the simple reason that they bend better ... for better hiyaw (heh heh) and that they sound bigger ... even bigger than elixirs.

Of course, elixirs will last longer in terms of brightness.  But I am biased against bright strings.  So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I just prefer the longevity of Elixirs tho hahaha

how are you Alex?
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1487 on: May 08, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »
yung mura lang, basta may good reputable....parang yung sa JB yata yung martin electric guitar strings
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline DrDeathRNMD98

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1488 on: May 19, 2017, 05:17:49 PM »

Hello! San ka bumibili ng Pyramid strings?

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1489 on: May 25, 2017, 03:06:08 PM »
Elixirs for me too

Offline by

« Reply #1490 on: May 29, 2017, 09:52:49 PM »
Meron naba Paradigm strings sa jb? magkano kaya.. mukang ayos din coated din yata :mrgreen:

Offline Obet922

« Reply #1491 on: June 06, 2017, 02:47:45 AM »
I used to use Dean Markley Blue steels back in the 90s, they just feel better made than most basic strings (such as EB slinky or D'addario XLs). Now, my go to strings are Dean Markley Helix. They play really smoothly even if they're not coated and the harmonics are excellent. They can be a bit harder to bend but I don't mind since I'm primarily a bassist (for reference, I use 10-46). Other good ones I've tried are EB M-steels (really clear tones) and D'addario NYXL (they bend like a stripper but don't last very long before corrosion and sound decay)

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Let's show the world what's going on in the LOW END of the spectrum!

'93 Yamaha Attitude Plus, Traben Neo, Schecter Stilletto Studio 6. Jun Castro Custom Fretless Jazz Bass

Offline knet370

« Reply #1492 on: June 06, 2017, 08:50:12 AM »
bought a couple of cleartones in assorted gauges in 2015. it's still on my guitars. others have elixirs in them. still on my guitars since 2015 din iirc. i dont have acidic sweaty hands if you are wondering.

but if i have money and time to burn that will allow me to change strings every 3 days or so. i would still prefer just the usual eb slinky. love those strings to death but loses its freshness in less than a week. atleast to my experience. im talking about the tone of its "day 1 and 2" life.

Offline LaXter

« Reply #1493 on: June 06, 2017, 09:59:05 AM »
bought a couple of cleartones in assorted gauges in 2015. it's still on my guitars. others have elixirs in them. still on my guitars since 2015 din iirc. i dont have acidic sweaty hands if you are wondering.

but if i have money and time to burn that will allow me to change strings every 3 days or so. i would still prefer just the usual eb slinky. love those strings to death but loses its freshness in less than a week. atleast to my experience. im talking about the tone of its "day 1 and 2" life.

Which one of the coated strings do you like better? Been hearing good things about cleartones lately.

BTT: I use D'Addario 10s for the simple fact that they sound and feel better than 9s. Wala pa akong experience na braeakage during a performance since gumamit ako nito kaya nagpapalit lang ako ng strings kung masyadong dead na ang tone.
GAS-Masked

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1494 on: June 06, 2017, 11:53:59 AM »
Which one of the coated strings do you like better? Been hearing good things about cleartones lately.

BTT: I use D'Addario 10s for the simple fact that they sound and feel better than 9s. Wala pa akong experience na braeakage during a performance since gumamit ako nito kaya nagpapalit lang ako ng strings kung masyadong dead na ang tone.

Cleartones are not coated. they are treated. so, elixirs will alst longer, but Cleartones feel more natural (if youre finicky about the plastic feel of elixirs).

personally, I like them both. id use elixirs just because mas cheap siya. :D pero the cleartones are as good, if not better.

Offline LaXter

« Reply #1495 on: June 06, 2017, 02:46:27 PM »
Cleartones are not coated. they are treated. so, elixirs will alst longer, but Cleartones feel more natural (if youre finicky about the plastic feel of elixirs).

personally, I like them both. id use elixirs just because mas cheap siya. :D pero the cleartones are as good, if not better.

Been meaning to try coated strings for a while kaso may reserve pako ng D'ads but something tells me about the feel of coated/treated strings na hindi ko magugustohan.
GAS-Masked

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1496 on: June 06, 2017, 02:59:45 PM »
Been meaning to try coated strings for a while kaso may reserve pako ng D'ads but something tells me about the feel of coated/treated strings na hindi ko magugustohan.

paps, its barely noticeable really. the longevity return versus the feel issue is a no brainer for me. id pick the longevity rather than the monthly replacement of strings for D'addario/ernie ball. the minial difference in feel and tone is just not worth the hassle and extra cost hahaha

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1497 on: June 06, 2017, 03:01:04 PM »

I used to play D'addarios as well before switching to Elixirs, sanayan lang din and I don't even remember how D'addarios feel anymore. Tried Nano Poly and just recently Optiwebs and I like them all though i prefer nanowebs most

Offline knet370

« Reply #1498 on: June 06, 2017, 03:13:35 PM »
Yeah cleartones are good but not necessarily better than elixirs. for the sake of convenience i would recommend elixirs simply because its locally available. Plus its cheaper. Doesn't necessarily sound inferior to cleartones. I like it. I love them both. Though in curious to try those paradigms. Have ordered a couple just have to wait.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1499 on: June 06, 2017, 03:22:31 PM »
Yeah cleartones are good but not necessarily better than elixirs. for the sake of convenience i would recommend elixirs simply because its locally available. Plus its cheaper. Doesn't necessarily sound inferior to cleartones. I like it. I love them both. Though in curious to try those paradigms. Have ordered a couple just have to wait.

same thoughts. just said better for the "Feel" factor. as cleartones are no coated (only treated), they might feel better for some.

I strongly agree on all your points tho hahaha elixirs win for me as well due to the availability and pricing factors.