hulika

Author Topic: Developing Your Personal Style  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
Developing Your Personal Style
« on: June 29, 2007, 09:58:38 AM »
Is your drumming style dictated by the music genre your band is playing? How/where do you get fresh ideas for your playing?

Do you have your personal sticking patterns?

Do you keep a repertoire of original licks and phrases, or quote from various drummers?

Do you base your style on particular sound (snare,cymbal/toy setups) ?

aahhh..to many questions,hehe! So fellows, how do you strive for individuality?

Let's Talk!  :-)
So Be It.

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Developing Your Personal Style
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 12:08:47 PM »
Unang-una, dapat magkaroon ng inner drive na dapat e iba ang palo mo.

Ikalawa, makinig ka ng music na iba ang genre sa nakasanayan mo. Learn to appreciate.

Ikatlo, subukan mo tugtugin yung kinatutuwaan mong style sa isang kanta ninyo.

Natural na lang na lalabas e!  :-D

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 01:03:55 PM »
Is your drumming style dictated by the music genre your band is playing? How/where do you get fresh ideas for your playing?

It depends upon the band i'm playing with, if it's a rock band, syempre rock ang palo ko, if it's a pop or show band, syempre pop rin palo ko. I usually get ideas from peers, music videos and fellow drummers. Pinaka-favorite ko mga drummer ng R&B (sir dio!) kasi ansarap ng paggamit nila ng hats tsaka snare....

I like to play with the bells of the ride and crash. Lalo na kapag linear ang ginagawa ko na patterns. Tapos i adapted sir dio's dancing style while playing the drums, girls go crazy whenever we do an r&b tapos ganon pa hehehe....

Do you keep a repertoire of original licks and phrases, or quote from various drummers?

I keep Dennis Chamber's Hand In my Pocket video, Dave Weckl's Back to Basics and Mini Eb's 1 and 3.

Do you base your style on particular sound (snare,cymbal/toy setups) ?

Yup, i like a bright high pitched sound sa snare kapag asa show/pop band ako. A picollo or a high toned snare will do....

How do you strive for individuality?

So far, sa bar scene dito sa amin, i made a mark na pasaway sa conventional style drumming ng show bands. I think, hindi dapat kopyahin ng bawat drummer ang style ng isa pa, but, fuse it with his own style to make another. Hindi kasi natin makokopya lahat ng style kasi hindi tayo yung original, meron at merong flaws yun. SO, all we have to do is make our own style....
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 06:13:57 PM by daemonite »
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline pyong_2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 06:07:57 PM »
another interesting topic bro. bamm, para sakin napakahirap makilalang unique o magdevelop ng sarili mong style when it comes to licks, why? kasi parang iniisip mo pa lang ang licks na iimbentuhin mo 99.9% may nakagawa na nito sa dami ng drummers sa buong  mundo pero di to imposible, gaya nga ng inaasahan ko balang araw na may isang pinoy na sisikat sa buong mundo dahil may kakaiba siyang natuklasan di ba astig  :mrgreen:
GDBLZ

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 12:29:33 AM »
ewan ko.. hehe.. style e lalabas na talaga e....
bsta ako.. poste lang talaga ako...
kahit metal or pop....
i always bring piccolo
kasi madale dalin...
josephmariosep.wordpress.com,josephmariosep instagram
Pwede naman magreply sa pm,libre naman serbisyo ng philmusic bat ang tamad niyo pa magreply sa mga offer niyo.

Offline sonnaqs

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 02:44:07 AM »
i gues, style will come naturally, syempre depende sa tugtugan at music na pinakikinggan mo.. just like what prev posts say, kung pop ur beats have to be pop, jazz to jazz beats, rock kung rock.

ung personal pattern ko masasabi ko tlgang adapted from favorite drummers, then fuse it in my own flow.

drum setup i think also plays a big part kc nga kung iyon lang ang mapapalo mo least you can do is to be creative with what you have

chaka sabi nga, 'lahat ng nota ay nakalabit na, nasa sayo nalang kung pano mo isasalansan' heheh

"never let the music die down!!"
\m/ ^__^ \m/

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 05:20:27 AM »
This is a really good topic, bro Bammbamm!  Napaisip ako sa mga tanong mo.  Na-inspire tuloy ako mag-share...  :-D

Is your drumming style dictated by the music genre your band is playing?

Pretty much, yes.  But I don't let it limit my musicality and creativity.  I try to think out of the box.  I don't want to be pigeonholed into one particular drumming style.  Which is why I believe that it's always healthy to open our hearts, minds, and ears to all musical styles.  We'll never know where we could get our next musical ideas.

I want to share something that I wrote on one of my blog entries last year.  I'll just quote it here...  "Two reasons why I enjoy playing drums with K24/7 - I get to do different drumming styles with this band, and I get to express myself effectively and creatively with our brand of music.  We may be a hiphop/r&b band; but we have songs where in we can play with a heavier rock feel... We have some songs which can be applied with a jazzier touch... And anything in between!  Plus, there are moments when I can stretch out and add some interesting drum parts to our music.  Modern hiphop/r&b music is very dynamic." 

How/Where do you get fresh ideas for your playing?

I always keep my heart, mind, and ears open to different kinds of music.  I also try to constantly check out different drummers.  We can always get new ideas from different kinds of music and drummers of different backgrounds, philosophies, and styles.  Our generation is so lucky because we can take advantage of the internet, which is a very powerful tool for research.  Modern Drummer magazines are also very helpful to me over the years.

I do my usual singles and doubles, and some paradiddle-inspired patterns.   But I don't really keep track of it during our gigs.  Because when it's performance time, I don't think anymore about technical matters.  Instead, I feel the music and play my heart out.

Having great technique is always a plus.  But when it's time to make music, we should be musical, artistic, and creative; instead of thinking too much about technique.  That's why practice is important.  Technique should be observed in practice.  Every musician should work on it, to the point where in it becomes second nature.

It's like learning how to drive.  As novices, we tend to think too much about many things - the wheel, the pedals, the gears, our distance, our speed, our position on the road, and so forth.  As we progress and turn out to become good drivers, we don't think so much about it anymore.  We begin to enjoy the pleasures of driving.  It's not a mental exercise anymore.  Because it has become second nature.

That's what we should aim for.  Making technique second nature.

I tend to copy or borrow some cool and useful licks and patterns from some of my favorite drummers.  But later on, I try to put my own thing into it.  So I guess, I unintentionally get to develop a repertoire of original licks and grooves along the way.

Do you base your style on particular sound (snare, cymbal setups, etc)?

As much as we need to develop our personal drumming style, I think it's also important to develop a particular sound too, or should I say, a signature sound.  It can help in developing an identity.  If I say Steve Gadd, can you hear his signature drum sounds in your head?  How about Vinnie Colaiuta?  Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson?  John Bonham?  Mike Portnoy?  Stewart Copeland?  Cite more examples if you can...

It may not help in developing or improving one's playing style.  If it does help one play better and more creatively, then good.  But I think it's more of making an identity.

I believe that as long as we keep on persevering, developing, and improving as artists in a deeper sense, it will just happen.  Eventually, we'll discover our personal playing style.

We should also strive not only to become better drummers, but also to become better musicians.  In that way, we would also somehow discover our roles as artists.

I think it's okay to copy other artists at first.  It's alright because we all have our roots; our mentors and our heroes.  But later on, we should find and develop our own style.  Like what I said before in this Forum, what's the point of being an artist if we are just going to be copycats?  But I'm not saying that musical influences are bad.  They're always good, once we pick something positive from it and use it as something to help develop our musicality.

One last thought to share... I also believe that how a drummer performs is a reflection of his/her personality.  How one sets up the kit, how one holds the sticks, how one carries a groove, how one reacts to musical situations, how one reacts to bandmates, how one moves behind the kit...  Less-is-more drummer?  Busy drummer?  Laid-back drummer?  Fast drummer?  Pocket drummer?  Speed drummer?  Technical drummer?  Hard hitter?  Boastful, malicious, "cute" drummer?  Hehehe... 

Just my thoughts and opinions!  Let's discuss further.  Violent reactions are welcome hehe...  8-)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 05:34:47 AM by drumster »

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 12:23:55 PM »
Nice replies, thanks to you guys, especially to our mod - very profound assertion! :-)

Anyway, I thought about this topic because I was having doubt with my drumming skill these days; as some of you may know, I only play drums for myself - as hobby , but nevertheless, I take this hobby very seriously.
Playing alone isn't much fun especially for drummers, I felt like Im studying languages - but without anyone to have conversation with- it seems useless. Obviously, I need to interact with other musicians, here came the thought about our individual approach to music.
Based on your replies, depende din talaga sa tugtugan at sa music na pinakikinggan ng isang drummer ang kanyang style. Naisip ko din na isang factor din ang mga bandmates (especially the bassist) sa pag develop ng sariling style ng mga drummer kasi nakikipag interact tayo sa kanya/kanila. Katulad ng pakikipag usap, mahalaga na may common dialect/language between musicians; hindi nman pwedeng german ang language na gamit mo tapos ang kausap mo niponggo maaring magkaintindihan kayo pero yung ibang tao (audience) maguguluhan :lol:
So maganda din talaga kung ang mga ka jam mo ay mga advanced player at open-minded na willing mag venture sa mga bagay na di pa masyadong natatahak.
Sa tunog naman, depende rin talaga sa hinihingi ng pagkakataon...

Well, lumalabas na ang development ng individual style ay dependent sa individual's approach to music diba? :-D

Salamat sa mga nag reply! Kung meron pang gustong magdagdag o mag tanong, pagusapan natin dito, sabi nga ni Mod Drumster, "violent reactions are welcome!" hehehe! :-D
So Be It.

nO RLY

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 05:16:42 PM »
i like my band's genre. but i like my personal genre better. sa band ko kasi, alternative rock pati punk rock. sa akin naman, jazz pati funk. sa tingin ko naman na nakakatulong ma expand yung personal style mo kahit iba genre ng band mo sa liking mo dahil masmarami ka pang malalaman na beats na pwede mong i-apply sa genreng gusto mo. ex. vic mercado applies funk and jazz beats even if rock sila. :-)

trip kong gawin yung mga rolls and triplets sa hats. :-D

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 11:51:59 AM »
Hey Bammbamm, nice thread.  :-)

Is your drumming style dictated by the music genre your band is playing?

half of my drumming focuses on my current band in where i play multi-genres. we are a multi-genre band, or should we say fusion. Half of it is played where in i'm all alone in my drum room.

How/Where do you get fresh ideas for your playing?

i try to utilize my environment...other drummers, internet, cds, ,bands, bandmates, and of course creativity. minsan bigla nalang susulpot ung idea kahit nasan pa ako...

i keep on doing the rudiments, but there are times i have to improvise and create for the musicality especially when i play different measures.

yup, but once i understand the concept, i try to put my own flavor. that makes drumming more interesting and fun.

Do you base your style on particular sound (snare, cymbal setups, etc)?
no. there are times where i have to get a sound suitable for the song/genre. sticks...importante din. :-) it defines the ride, like if i play jazz, i prefer lighter sticks/brush, but if i play metal, i stick to 5As, same goes with the snare, heads and cymbals being added for effects. in my opinion, yung signature sound doesn't only come from the gears you use, but it is also from the way you make sound.

i don't know...i just play hard and focused each time i sit on the drums. I am my own student,critict and educator. i strive hard for my personal growth and hopefully i could help others in times of need.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 12:43:18 PM »
Steve Vai, when he described how he practices guitar (10 hours a day!), says he starts his sessions with rudimentary runs and patterns, gets into new licks/tricks/patterns in the middle, and ends his session with a metronome-less (although sometimes sequencer-accompanied) free jam. Nice routine for any musician, IMO.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline niNgpo

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 12:11:20 AM »
pano ba madevelop toh? kasi ako hinahayaan ko lang na natural lumabas yung gagawin kong palo eh.  :?

Offline LpDRMR

• Netizen Level
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 02:15:15 AM »
it depends talaga kung, anu yung genre mo..

hmm.. kame variety ang tugtugan, kaya kelangan flexible, sa lahat...

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 10:25:15 AM »
I just simply be myself. And I steal some ideas from my idols
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline pyong_2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 10:31:45 AM »
sir bammbamm musta napo? ano balita, sarap sumagot sa topic nato, para sakin napakalaking bagay nung tumugtog ng halos lahat ng genre at lumabas sa sinasabing comfort zone ko at malaman ko yung mga weakness ko sa tugtugan,and so kailangan ko magpractice to overcome that challenge and sabi nga ni sir dio walang limit din. 2nd is disiplina when or where do you need to use fills or licks to incorporate the songs your band playing.....but in the end sir bamm di ko padin malaman and style ko, ibang tao siguro magsasabi sakin hehehe....
GDBLZ

Offline dasplinter

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 12:57:15 PM »
 in every song that we play/cover mapa-jazz,mapa-punk,rockalternative, or metal pa yan..  :-)

laging lumalabas ang hiphop/groove style sa playing ko.  :|

there is always a part na papasayawin ko ang audience..  :lol:
Then how could you say an idea, if you do not have an idea of what you're saying?