hulika

Poll

how OFTEN should our Blues Night be?

once a week
twice a month
once a month

Author Topic: Pinoy Bluesmen Deluxe - PhilMusic's Pinoy Blues Community Thread  (Read 98713 times)

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pinoy Bluesmen Deluxe - PhilMusic's Pinoy Blues Community Thread
« on: December 29, 2008, 11:14:32 PM »
Greetings Ladies & Gentlemen!

Let us start the new year with a new community/club: the BLUESMEN DELUXE. Hopefully this thread will help Blues newbies, Aficionados, listeners or even musicians to know more about each other and also the passion that we have. we can talk about anything Blues, from Chicago to Delta Blues..

so guys, the Blues ain't nothin, so lets keep on rollin'!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 03:11:31 PM by the_Nong »

itchybrain

Re: Bluesmen Deluxe - PhilMusic's Blues Community Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 10:05:39 PM »

Great thread, Brother Arnold. Saludo! Kasunod nitong thread na ito, JAM/EB ulit para maganda start ng year. It's been a while since the last BLUES BROTHERS JAM at Bri-Iw. Sana maulit.

Here's one Blues guy for ya:

He's my newest idol. I love the aggression and the shakin'. :-D Anybody here have albums of Freddie King?

Offline masterchoxter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 08:14:28 PM »
nice one nong!

@itchybrain

i have freddie king's texas in my blues... and a lot of robben ford...
[

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 08:25:38 PM »
count me in!

Love da bluessss though I must say I've got tons to learn compared to the hardcore bluesmen here.

recently purchased a BB King DVD w 2 CDs sulit na sulit!

He told the story that he ended up playing the blues coz that's when the people gave tips compared to when they asked him to play gospel tunes  :-)

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:23:02 PM »

He's my newest idol. I love the aggression and the shakin'. :-D Anybody here have albums of Freddie King?

yes bro, i have some albums of Freddie, Albert and BB.. pag nag EB and Bluesmen Deluxe, i'll give you mp3 copies on DVD.

magpapagawa pala ako ng sticker as soon as we reach around 20.. hehehe..

calling all Blues Bruddahs!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:24:48 PM by the_Nong »

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:31:19 PM »
i must say, John Mayer made me turn to the Blues in a different way. although i have been listening to Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, BB king and some other Blues artists. Eric 'slow hands' Clapton gave me another look on the Blues, his development and change made me believe that whatever guitar you have, as long as you have the blues, there's nothing you can lose.. (parang kanta noh?)

let's set an EB. parang continuation ng Blues Buddah Jams.. whattayasay?

Offline masterchoxter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:35:32 PM »
go go go Nong!
[

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 11:41:22 PM »
go go go Nong!

i second the motion. ok na kahit sa same old place lang uli.  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

btw, nakapunta ako sa Blues Night last month sa Conspi.
asteeg talaga 'pag hardcore blues.
andun si sir joric and crew.  :-D
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 09:43:19 AM »
ayos ito. Basta suporta sa Pinoy blues count as in.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 10:53:09 AM »
this is great....

share lang ako:

i've been into this type of music ever since mid 80s....shows my age..ha??!?

my uncles and their kumpares would always listen to clapton albums during family reunions. "bellbottom blues" "laydown sally" "wonderful tonight"...mga pang adik hehe kasi mga adik at lasenggero mga tito ko noon...hehe

my dad was into santana. my mom was into elvis and the beatles. we had ray charles albums in the house.... pero di naman sila hippie lol. mahilig lang talaga sa ganung tugtugan.

then my older bro who had a friend from a jazz radio station took me to see ray charles and bb king play at the philip morris jazz event in folk arts.

but i was a pianist...so i wanted to be like ray charles. hehe. learned the blues scale (key of C) from the movie "great balls of fire" ....so i was hooked.

learned guitar 1st year college.........and now im a guitar player in a vegas showband playing PCD and ciara. ang galing!

guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 05:29:02 AM »
this is great....

share lang ako:

i've been into this type of music ever since mid 80s....shows my age..ha??!?

my uncles and their kumpares would always listen to clapton albums during family reunions. "bellbottom blues" "laydown sally" "wonderful tonight"...mga pang adik hehe kasi mga adik at lasenggero mga tito ko noon...hehe

my dad was into santana. my mom was into elvis and the beatles. we had ray charles albums in the house.... pero di naman sila hippie lol. mahilig lang talaga sa ganung tugtugan.

then my older bro who had a friend from a jazz radio station took me to see ray charles and bb king play at the philip morris jazz event in folk arts.

but i was a pianist...so i wanted to be like ray charles. hehe. learned the blues scale (key of C) from the movie "great balls of fire" ....so i was hooked.

learned guitar 1st year college.........and now im a guitar player in a vegas showband playing PCD and ciara. ang galing!

daym nandito na si blues2death!!! mismo magblues to mga parekoy!!

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Pinoy Bluesmen Deluxe - PhilMusic's Pinoy Blues Community Thread
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 08:07:58 AM »
i'm thinking of a "Pinoy Bluesmen Deluxe Night event" to be scheduled on Febuary 28, 2009. let me know if this will be a perfect date for you guys and let me know where is more convenient for all, should if be in QC, Ortigas or Makati?

we have to have blues bands to play, and in between sets we'll have jams, games, a little trivia, 'chika-chika-getting to know' etc..

lets posts feedback guys!

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 11:25:25 AM »
plus one dito mga men... kahit anong blues basta blues na blues sakay ko yan... or blues rock classic rock..lalong orayt!!!! :mrgreen:

Offline dakuykoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 11:35:48 AM »
the nong! yo da meyn! blueserong pinoy here!!!  :mrgreen:
Yes, I'm no longer affiliated with TMS

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 01:47:50 PM »
rakendablues mga pare!!

Offline dakuykoy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 10:19:44 AM »
i'm thinking of a "Pinoy Bluesmen Deluxe Night event" to be scheduled on Febuary 28, 2009. let me know if this will be a perfect date for you guys and let me know where is more convenient for all, should if be in QC, Ortigas or Makati?

we have to have blues bands to play, and in between sets we'll have jams, games, a little trivia, 'chika-chika-getting to know' etc..

lets posts feedback guys!

pwede yan!
Yes, I'm no longer affiliated with TMS

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 01:21:12 PM »
pag wala pa kong nakuhang feedback mga bros, we'll have it in QC nalang.. i have to venues in mind na.

Offline ponky26

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »
 nice  Nong! suportahan taka

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 03:42:05 PM »
i second the motion. ok na kahit sa same old place lang uli.  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

btw, nakapunta ako sa Blues Night last month sa Conspi.
asteeg talaga 'pag hardcore blues.
andun si sir joric and crew.  :-D

sakin kasi, pag di hardcore, iba tawag dun!  ;-)

anyway, pasali naman sa jam.

ps (plugging sandali): may gig ang Jook Jam sa Hobbit House tomorrow, Sat, 930pm. nood kayo kung blues na galing sa lupa din trip nyo. :-)

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 05:43:10 PM »

gets ko sir. but with good light available will lead to the true hardcore blues  :-D
sayang lang at di ako pwede makapunta ng hobbit house tom. maybe someday.  :-)

@the_nong,
to be honest mas favor kasi sa QC since mukhang mas marami ang taga dun (like me... :-D). i agree na sana may blues talk from our blues apostle at sana available sila for those kind of stuffs.  :mrgreen:
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 03:24:25 AM »
kung may apostle ng blues.....meron bang blues messiah?

at sino naman ang blues god? :-D

todo na cguro yun, blues na blues kahit di naghahawak ng instrumento.

btw, im sure d naman kailangan banggitin pero open naman to sa lahat ng musikero right? i mean di lang gitarista ang pwede sumali.

napansin ko kasi, halos ng nag-post gitarista. analogy lang naman, bihira para sa mga drummer at bassists na maging mahilig sa blues kasi you have to admit very monotonous ang ginagawa nila sa mga 12 bar.

mismong kaibigan ko na kanong drummer na napaka-galing tumogs sinabi nya sakin, ayaw nya ng blues! lol pero tongue in cheek nyang sinabi yun kasi naman naiintindihan  ko yung sinasabi nya kahit na di ako drummer.

still....tom bretchlein and roscoe beck from robben ford's blue line band are monsters. i read an article that vinnie colauita even subbed once for a gig. bagay pa din ang ginagawa nila. interesting ways to play shuffles. which is ideal for a trio, coz you gotta fill up them spaces.

sa local scene....wendell garcia who played with blue rats on occasion was always dreaming up ways to play his signature groove. parati akong nakanganga pag tumogs sa rats yun. si na ako nakakatugtog.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline mikerock

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 04:43:38 AM »
ayuz toh!
<

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 10:16:14 AM »
kung may apostle ng blues.....meron bang blues messiah?

at sino naman ang blues god? :-D

todo na cguro yun, blues na blues kahit di naghahawak ng instrumento.

btw, im sure d naman kailangan banggitin pero open naman to sa lahat ng musikero right? i mean di lang gitarista ang pwede sumali.

napansin ko kasi, halos ng nag-post gitarista. analogy lang naman, bihira para sa mga drummer at bassists na maging mahilig sa blues kasi you have to admit very monotonous ang ginagawa nila sa mga 12 bar.

mismong kaibigan ko na kanong drummer na napaka-galing tumogs sinabi nya sakin, ayaw nya ng blues! lol pero tongue in cheek nyang sinabi yun kasi naman naiintindihan  ko yung sinasabi nya kahit na di ako drummer.

still....tom bretchlein and roscoe beck from robben ford's blue line band are monsters. i read an article that vinnie colauita even subbed once for a gig. bagay pa din ang ginagawa nila. interesting ways to play shuffles. which is ideal for a trio, coz you gotta fill up them spaces.

sa local scene....wendell garcia who played with blue rats on occasion was always dreaming up ways to play his signature groove. parati akong nakanganga pag tumogs sa rats yun. si na ako nakakatugtog.

i'll do a deep research kung sino and messiah, hehehehe..

although as true as it may seem, most forumers here in Pinoy Bluesmen Deluxe are guitarists, but we welcome all! from keyboardists, drummers, horn peeps, and bassists.. still the Blues is the Blues.

in the meantime, here's something..
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Blues is a vocal and instrumental form of music based on the use of the blue notes. It emerged as an accessible form of self-expression in African-American communities of the United States from spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts and chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads.[1] The use of blue notes and the prominence of call-and-response patterns in the music and lyrics are indicative of African influences.

The blues influenced later American and Western popular music, as it became the roots of jazz, rhythm and blues, bluegrass and rock and roll. In the 1960s and 1970s, a hybrid form called blues rock developed from the combining of blues with various rock and roll forms.

The phrase "the blues" is a reference to the the Blue Devils, meaning "down" spirits, melancholy, and sadness. An early reference to "the blues" can be found in George Colman's one act farce Blue devils (1798).

Though the use of the phrase in African American music may be older, it has been attested to since 1912, when Hart Wand's "Dallas Blues" became the first copyrighted Blues composition. In lyrics the phrase is often used to describe a depressed mood.

There are few characteristics common to all blues, because the genre takes its shape from the idiosyncrasies of individual performances. However, there are some characteristics that were present long before the creation of the modern blues. An early form of blues-like music were call-and-response shouts, which were a "functional expression... style without accompaniment or harmony and unbounded by the formality of any particular musical structure." A form of this pre-blues was heard in slave field shouts and hollers, expanded into "simple solo songs laden with emotional content". The blues, as it is now known, can be seen as a musical style based on both European harmonic structure and the African call-and-response tradition, transformed into an interplay of voice and guitar.

Many blues elements, such as the call-and-response format and the use of blue notes, can be traced back to the music of Africa. The Diddley bow, a homemade one-stringed instrument found in parts of the American South in the early twentieth century, and the banjo are African-derived instruments that may have helped in the transfer of African performance techniques into the early blues instrumental vocabulary. Blues music later adopted elements from the "Ethiopian airs", minstrel shows and Negro spirituals, including instrumental and harmonic accompaniment.The style also was closely related to ragtime, which developed at about the same time, though the blues better preserved "the original melodic patterns of African music". The blues form itself bears no resemblance to the melodic styles of the West African griots, and the influences are faint and tenuous. And no specific African musical form can be identified as the single direct ancestor of the blues.

Blues songs from this period, such as Lead Belly's or Henry Thomas's recordings, show many different structures. The twelve-, eight-, or sixteen-bar structure based on tonic, subdominant and dominant chords became the most common forms. What is now recognizable as the standard 12-bar blues form is documented from oral history and sheet music appearing in African American communities throughout the region along the lower Mississippi River, in Memphis, Tennessee's Beale Street, and by white bands in New Orleans.

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 11:36:12 AM »
count me in!

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 06:04:12 PM »

anyway, pasali naman sa jam.

ps (plugging sandali): may gig ang Jook Jam sa Hobbit House tomorrow, Sat, 930pm. nood kayo kung blues na galing sa lupa din trip nyo. :-)
bossing pa jam sayo ha..kahit rhythym mo lang ako solve na ko non!!!!

sana mas maaga yung sched..masyado yata matagal ang feb28?