hulika

Author Topic: F-M Thread: Waaaaah! I didn't think I missed so much action!  (Read 11451 times)

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
F-M Thread: Waaaaah! I didn't think I missed so much action!
« on: September 18, 2007, 11:17:59 AM »
I must've been deaf... having not heard anything from a very noisy thread, until it was too late... it was already locked! waaaaaaaaAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Well, I should say it's pretty much a sequel to the Pod thread, but with so much more action. Skunkyfunk was still insisting how all of us who are fans of the pod are victims of marketing hype. Tsk, tsk. I didn't realize I was that stupid. Also, I seem to have been misquoted. What I said was, "better is the enemy of good." It was meant to point out our tendencies to make a good idea better, but often ending up with 'inferior' material. I guess one of the reasons why a lot of people say the music of the past is so much better is that when you decided to make a good idea better, it required a lot of commitment on the musician's part, because there's no undo button on the 2" multitrack machine, and very few people would waste a track on an alternate take. more often than not, people were happy with an "almost-perfect" take and an "almost-perfect" mix. And what happened after that? People very seldomly went back to remix or retake a project unless everybody was convinced they could do so much better. Most of the time, after mixdown, it was time to make new materials to record. None of this obsessing on amps vs. pods, or how authentic an emulation is, and all the BS we all have to deal with, now that pretty much everything is within most people's financial reach.

Skunkyfunk pointed how the actual sound of an amp is able to inspire the player. Well, that point is true. Orchestral players need to constantly listen to their instruments too, that's why it's quite difficult for them to use headphones while recording. At least at first.

Here's something I consider to be far more important. I think what's more lacking is the interaction of a player with his (or her) co-players. I wouldn't want a guitar player who obsesses on his amp, and forgets that he has bandmates too. The godly tone (or the podly tone) doesn't really matter much if it didn't help the music.

Here's something I have against loud amps -- they hurt our ears. They damage our hearing. And our ears are supposed to be our best assets in our music-making.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 11:26:44 AM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: F-M Thread: Waaaaah! I didn't think I missed so much action!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 12:11:24 PM »
Here's something I consider to be far more important. I think what's more lacking is the interaction of a player with his (or her) co-players. I wouldn't want a guitar player who obsesses on his amp, and forgets that he has bandmates too. The godly tone (or the podly tone) doesn't really matter much if it didn't help the music.

Here's something I have against loud amps -- they hurt our ears. They damage our hearing. And our ears are supposed to be our best assets in our music-making.

+1.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 01:08:09 PM »

i agree, loud amps could damage our hearing over long periods of exposure.  ako i try to set up as fast as possible, sumasama din kasi pakiramdam ko sa loob ng tracking room when i set the knobs past 6 ... parang hindi ako makahinga.  in any case, i do wear isolation earphones to make sure i don't expose my ears too much to potentially damaging sound levels.

it is important to balance things inside the studio.  music production involves a series of steps and an array of tools.  a mic'd amp is no good if the micing process is taken for granted.     

FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 01:16:10 PM »
i agree, loud amps could damage our hearing over long periods of exposure.  ako i try to set up as fast as possible, sumasama din kasi pakiramdam ko sa loob ng tracking room when i set the knobs past 6 ... parang hindi ako makahinga.  in any case, i do wear isolation earphones to make sure i don't expose my ears too much to potentially damaging sound levels.

it is important to balance things inside the studio.  music production involves a series of steps and an array of tools.  a mic'd amp is no good if the micing process is taken for granted.    

+1
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 01:24:38 PM »
"+1". yes. let's make that the new "up". haha.
============
Marvin Querido

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 01:31:41 PM »
Seriously though, I think it would be rather foolish to take very good care of our amps and other equipment when we don't take extra care of our hearing.

That's probably the reason why I don't care much about high gain amps, really loud drums and A Custom Projection cymbals. haha. Heck, even the "leslie" speaker I got is not a leslie. It's a Motion Sound. haha.
============
Marvin Querido

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 01:39:25 PM »
Heck, even the "leslie" speaker I got is not a leslie. It's a Motion Sound. haha.

Aha! dumating na! No wonder you've missed all the action.

Seriously though. I'm thinking of joining HC, if only check out the "action".
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 01:50:45 PM »
ang i love the sig of one member there

"Proud to be an ASH Soul...(Souls of the Amp Simulator Haters Club)... Spread the HATE!" --- "

:D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 01:53:58 PM by edgeofillusion-jepoy »

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 02:20:30 PM »
Things I learned from the F-M thread:

1.  FM is not a big issue when it comes to studio recording. As a thread topic, it should have a short shelf life... unless some obfuscation is going on... 
2.  Good tone can inspire a player to perform and track better.  However, assuming inspiring tone comes only from tube amps, even in a recording situation, is folly.  What of Pignose, SansAmps, etc?
3.  If the record engineer keeps preaching and pursuing authentic tone of a tube amp but does not have the tube amp in his arsenal for his clients, well he is just showing off his awareness of the existence and supposed merits of high-end stuff, not necessarily his skill in getting better tone out of them than a studio offering modelers.
4.  Some people are after getting the job done at least cost.  These people are focused on achieving results -- good recorded music, period.  Some people are more focused on enjoying the journey, exercising predilection for expensive gear in the recording process, etc. These people are tone snobs, the 'tone-is-in-the-wallet' variety.  They're more concerned about being able to brag that they used so and so expensive gear in the recording more than the power of the music itself.
5. A Filipino recording engineer who keeps putting down the quality of local recordings (and therefore of local recording engineers) should himself be beyond reproach. Either he is one of the best recording engineers in the country, or is himself an internationally recognized recording engineer offering his comments on local recordings.  Ika nga, it ain't bragging if you can back it up.  Otherwise, STFU. 

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 02:32:11 PM »
things i learned from the f-m thread:

1) if it deosnt have the felching monster curb its not for serious recording
2) bedroom recording engineers have more gain and less noise to signal ratio
3) all "poor folks" should stfu
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 02:34:20 PM »
@deltaslim

#5 - yup, i couldn't have put it in a better way.

some people just read too many mix magazines and the like, and in the absence of those, well, there's still jepoy's google. haha.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 02:35:21 PM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 02:36:46 PM »
things i learned from the f-m thread (and jepoy):

- don't get eaten up at harmony central. haha.
============
Marvin Querido

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 02:39:22 PM »
ang i love the sig of one member there

"Proud to be an ASH Soul...(Souls of the Amp Simulator Haters Club)... Spread the HATE!" --- "

:D

@jepoy the studio genius

actually, i enjoyed the post of the one who said, "the quest for tone? a discipline? says who?...." haha.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 02:41:15 PM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 02:44:20 PM »
from the defunct FM thread?  i've learned of the immense unfathomable power of the cheap shot!  haha!

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 02:45:30 PM »
felching....  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Things I learned.... some high fallutin' words.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 02:46:27 PM »
OT: hey everybody, i wanna invite you all to come and watch martin at greenbelt 3 on friday. i'll be playing 2nd keys for him. let's make it an impromptu EB. haha.

...oh, by the way, you're not welcome to bring your own amp, or your pod. just cash to pay for your food.  :-D

@kitc - actually, i was busy. the motion sound isn't with me yet, although i found out from vinci that the shipment already arrived (together with a new snare drum and some auralex stuff). i have a terrible backlog. i have to finish 9 arrangements before i leave for canada next thursday. how the hell am i supposed to finish 9 songs? i am just as in the dark as you are. haha.

high falluting words? like... megalomaniac?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 02:49:31 PM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 02:47:02 PM »
Seriously though. I'm thinking of joining HC, if only check out the "action".

whatever you do dont search for my posts cause i get virtually bitch slapped there on a regular basis...or ignored :-(

i fear the fate that will befall me if i mention my crate amp, korean plywood guitar and fine line of behringer products :-o
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 02:50:31 PM »
... or my boutique phonic processors...
============
Marvin Querido

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 02:52:18 PM »
@jepoy the studio genius

actually, i enjoyed the post of the one who said, "the quest for tone? a discipline? says who?...." haha.

huy! di ako kasali sa #5 ah kaya di ako studio genius nyahahahah

whatever you do dont search for my posts cause i get virtually bitch slapped there on a regular basis...or ignored :-(

i fear the fate that will befall me if i mention my crate amp, korean plywood guitar and fine line of behringer products :-o

want some link brader? hahaha

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 02:55:19 PM »
ibuhos mo na, jepoy! haha.
============
Marvin Querido

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 02:57:18 PM »
nakow! baka ma lock yung thread pag dito ko binuhos at  pinaste yung URL

and we dont want boss kit to get mad again diba? :D

Peace! y'all!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 02:58:33 PM »
Post the damn links!  :lol: I'm not in a mood to register at HC just yet.

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
@hazel - bring gary. let's a/b him with martin... haha
============
Marvin Querido

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 03:03:05 PM »
@hazel - i'm serious (hehe). don't even bring a cd of your works... nyahahaha!

well, your opinion on martin is going to change once you use an avalon 737 and an akgc12. haha.
============
Marvin Querido

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 03:04:23 PM »
It should always be an apples-to-apples comparison, not an orange and lemons.