hulika

Author Topic: Shoegazer music  (Read 27980 times)

Offline consequence

• Veteran Member
Shoegazer music
« on: September 25, 2007, 09:33:10 PM »
pls enlighten me whats this genre whats its root and history. is there any local artist of this genre. pls give examples of artist :-D :mrgreen: thanks
My dear we're slow dancing in a burning room.

Offline emetek

• Netizen Level
Re: Shoegazer music
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 04:23:45 PM »
ano ba yun genre? wow shoegaze.. my bloody valentine. malory, slowdive, wow meron pa pala dito sa pinas na shoegaze.. pre meron dito local band,, sonnet 58..  skies of ember.. grabe parang aaangat yung stage pa tumutog... heeheehe shoegaze mabuhay.... hehehehee
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 09:39:01 PM by emetek »
PAINTING REPRO NI BOBBY BALINGIT 500 PESOS LNG WITH SIGNATURE AT TULA
bobby balingit classical guitar CD.. title"GRASA" get the copy now or txt #09159473506 .. ma mi mis nyo kalahati ng buhay nyo

Offline light district

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 12:54:35 AM »
cocteau twins was one of the influences of some shoegaze bands like my bloody valentine and slowdive...bcoz of the way cocteau twins' guitarist robin guthrie layer his guitar effects and of course the texture of the sound.

you can also check aurora borealis, popular days and candyaudioline in our local shoegaze scene. 

Offline emetek

• Netizen Level
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 04:18:01 PM »
thanx light district.... ayun, ano pala aurora borealis daw shoegaze local band.. sabi ng pren ko... pati yung popular days.. yung candyauodioline na pa kinggan ko na.. pero yung dalawa hindi pa.. san ba pwede ma download tong dalawa
PAINTING REPRO NI BOBBY BALINGIT 500 PESOS LNG WITH SIGNATURE AT TULA
bobby balingit classical guitar CD.. title"GRASA" get the copy now or txt #09159473506 .. ma mi mis nyo kalahati ng buhay nyo

Offline butoyonly

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 07:51:01 AM »
i think this one refers to guitar players who always shogaze hehe..sobrang dame kasing effects hndi na tumitingin kung saan kundi sa pedals lang  :lol:
kapish.  "Inhalation of vomit due to barbiturate intoxication."

Offline consequence

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 10:45:17 PM »
daydream cycle shoegaze ba?
My dear we're slow dancing in a burning room.

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 07:11:38 AM »

Yes...and they can also be lumped into the dreampop genre too. 

I've maintained that Sugar Hiccup can also fall under this category along with twee (gaya ng Camera Obscura tsaka Belle and Sebastian). 

Lagay mo na rin ang Sonnet LVIII diyan.

I've always wondered what shoegaze contributed to electronic music.  My questions were answered when I read the 33 1/3 series book devoted to MBV's Loveless.  I wasn't aware that one of the most important and groundbreaking uses for the sampler was on this record.  It's a highly recommended read if you're a studio rat.

Also, try checking out Ulrich Schnauss' Quicksand Memory EP.  The Cocteau Twins' Robin Guthrie did remixes on a couple of the songs giving it a different tinge from the original compositions.

I also recommend checking out Maps (a.k.a. James Chapman) whos music is very minimalist, but almost similar to Ulrich Schnauss' approach.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you're looking for shoegaze that's the equivalent of listening to a fleet of Boeing 747's engines up-close, you'll want to check out (former Godflesh guitarist) Justin Broadrick's band Jesu.  It's post-metal/shoegaze combo is one of the most dramatically beautiful things I've ever listened to.  Conqueror is perhaps the best metal album to come out of the genre in ages since it challenges the legacy and doesn't fall into the trap of recycling musical cliches.

Offline dabo-d

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 12:38:41 AM »
i think this one refers to guitar players who always shogaze hehe..sobrang dame kasing effects hndi na tumitingin kung saan kundi sa pedals lang  :lol:

+1  :-D
"awan, atu.. awan, tu, tri por!!"

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 03:53:45 AM »
Yes...and they can also be lumped into the dreampop genre too. 

I've maintained that Sugar Hiccup can also fall under this category along with twee (gaya ng Camera Obscura tsaka Belle and Sebastian). 

Lagay mo na rin ang Sonnet LVIII diyan.

I've always wondered what shoegaze contributed to electronic music. 

i think sheogaze/indiepop/dreampop & their subgenres would not be be compared to any genre but  electronica/triphop music.. pareho kasi ng trip like the melody, voice and the like (if u know what i mean)

malaki ang naging contribution ni tony wilson which made this possible.

check out the pinoy band "taken by cars"..  their music explains it all   :-)

http://amp.channelv.com/amp/viewArtist.html?id=3785

Offline khuxielog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 04:32:51 AM »
one word = mono
references: drick, barbie h., turi, deltaslim, royc, tackielarla, nuno, diver, ninjeremy, fonzy, etc.

Offline dabo-d

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 08:46:54 PM »

para sakin electronica to ser.
"awan, atu.. awan, tu, tri por!!"

Offline manifesto

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »
Daydreamcycle? somehow yes, this one is leaning towards hooverphonic, trembling blue stars and correct, MBV on their electronic sound driven stage, which was somewhat a combination of indie, low-fi and electronica.

Offline scaryposer13

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »
try to Check BUZZNITE at MAYRIC's , SHOEGAZE nyt sa DREDD.. check www.candyaudioline.blogspot.com
BITE FORCE!!

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 04:16:05 PM »
Got to see M83 last night.  It was one of the most fantastic evenings in my 15 years of seeing shows.  I never thought I'd see the possibilities of keyboards and analog synths playing parts conventionally done by guitars plugged into delay and tremolo pedals.  It was so loud, the drummer had to be enclosed in a fiberglass shield so that he could hear the click track going off in his headphones. 

Anthony Gonzalez is my hero.

I love the look of Anthony's home-made analog synth

Offline negativeview

• Netizen Level
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 07:24:46 PM »
Oh wow you got to watch them live... i am jealous....  :cry:

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 12:43:56 AM »
Yeah, totally hypnotic stuff, their music.  Hope you could also get to see them onstage one day.

Offline rubix cube

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 01:52:23 PM »
basta "reverb+delay+gulay at konting glitters" un ung unang isasaw ng paa nila sa mga tatapakang aparato nila   :-D :-D :-D

PEBORIT  PENOY SHUGAYZ

POPDAYS
WEEDISNEY
AURORA BOREALIS
DAYDREAM
SONET LVIII
candyAUDIOLINE
SKIES OF DOTDOT
RANDOM KNOBS
ASPIRIN

ok tlaga sila at marami pa ata cila buti me mga ganyan pang banda dito!!

padagdag nalang sana meron pa

shoegaze mabuhay :-D

asasaasasasasasasasasa

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 02:34:58 PM »
Oooh!

I just found out that The Jesus And Mary Chain will be doing a show in Seattle's Showbox Theater on July 16.  I'm so there for tickets when they go for advance sale this Thursday.  Litrato na naman para sa show na 'to ulit!

Offline scaryposer13

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 12:33:11 PM »
basta "reverb+delay+gulay at konting glitters" un ung unang isasaw ng paa nila sa mga tatapakang aparato nila   :-D :-D :-D

PEBORIT  PENOY SHUGAYZ

POPDAYS
WEEDISNEY
AURORA BOREALIS
DAYDREAM
SONET LVIII
candyAUDIOLINE
SKIES OF DOTDOT
RANDOM KNOBS
ASPIRIN

ok tlaga sila at marami pa ata cila buti me mga ganyan pang banda dito!!

padagdag nalang sana meron pa

shoegaze mabuhay :-D

BJ ESBER kaw ba yan?! shoegaze din kayo ah?! pag kasama c ROLL ON..
hehehehehe....
BITE FORCE!!

Offline awindofsuchviolence

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 10:43:22 PM »
shoegaze fan ako dati pa kung shoegaze nga ang Cocteau Twins at My Bloody Valentine, at the best na shoegaze album ang MBV's Loveless., yun nga lang, baka mali ang definiton ko kasi shoegaze daw ang Taken by Cars.,
tama ba ang dinig ko?!
"smile. empty. soul."

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 12:22:56 AM »
yun nga lang, baka mali ang definiton ko kasi shoegaze daw ang Taken by Cars.,
tama ba ang dinig ko?!

Medyo marami na ang ipinagbago ng shoegaze mula sa classic definition na nakilala mo sa MBV, Medicine, Ride, Swervedriver, etc.  Marami nang kahalo ang shoegaze gaya ng metal (gaya ng bandang Jesu) o kaya electronic (gaya ng Dykehouse tsaka na rin si Ulrich Schnauss).  May mga elements ng shoegaze ang TBC, pero hindi sila purong shoegaze band.  Mas indie rock/dance ang dating nila IMO.

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 05:14:20 PM »
Photos from The Jesus And Mary Chain show last night at The Showbox SoDo

Offline rjthemute

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 12:11:17 PM »
Ok, deadwing knows knows his shiz. Props and respect.
I think MBV's loveless is the classic "shoegaze" sound, walls of sound, distorted/fuzzed out chords bleeding into each other, noise that's piercing yet beautiful at the same time, yada yada yada. But that's just me.
Kasi like any other musical genre, mahirap i-label ang isang banda/grupo/tao sa isang tunog lang, laging may elements of this, elements of that, etc. Labeling is bull anyway, but we still like doing it.
Also, as deadwing pointed out, marami naring bands na heavily influenced by at nag incorporate ng shoegaze with other styles; jesu, explosions in the sky, m83, and autolux to name a few. Some people call them nu-gaze, which is very apt I think. Locally, medyo wala pa kong narinig, subukan kong pakinggan yung mga nabanggit, although may mga narinig na kong dreampop at dancey/post-rockish local outfits.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:17:15 PM by rjthemute »

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 01:46:47 PM »
Ok, deadwing knows knows his shiz. Props and respect.
I think MBV's loveless is the classic "shoegaze" sound, walls of sound, distorted/fuzzed out chords bleeding into each other, noise that's piercing yet beautiful at the same time, yada yada yada. But that's just me.
Kasi like any other musical genre, mahirap i-label ang isang banda/grupo/tao sa isang tunog lang, laging may elements of this, elements of that, etc. Labeling is bull anyway, but we still like doing it.

Mismo.

Yeah, I really dig these kinds of soundscapes.  Magiging obvious nga lang na amoy lupa na ako kung sasabihin kong sinubaybayan ko yung mga naunang kombong nag-shoegaze noong panahong medyo credible pa ang Spin magazine *LOL*

Offline rjthemute

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 10:59:54 AM »
Mismo.

Yeah, I really dig these kinds of soundscapes.  Magiging obvious nga lang na amoy lupa na ako kung sasabihin kong sinubaybayan ko yung mga naunang kombong nag-shoegaze noong panahong medyo credible pa ang Spin magazine *LOL*

Onga e, it's really very interesting music.
Swerte mo nga e, kick ass shows you've been to recently.
Spin, hehe, medyo guilty pleasure ko ata to, pero mahilig sila sa trends e.