hulika

Author Topic: Razorback's Origin...and on-going saga!  (Read 87010 times)

Offline ortigas

Razorback's Origin...and on-going saga!
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006, 02:58:04 PM »
So, let’s talk about Kalye Bar for a bit since the place also became legendary like Club Dredd, Hobbit House, Mayrics , and so many other clubs in Manila.

When Tirso and I first started going to Kalye, it was because we needed a place to go to get loaded on cheap booze before meeting all our other friends at the more expensive venues around town. At Kalye, they used to serve rum cokes and vodka tonics for just P15 in plastic cups so with just P200 (?) in your pocket, you could go get wasted really quick. This was around 1989-90. Originally, the bar was located in Mile Long but they moved it to Palanca St. in Legaspi Village until it finally closed down in 1994.

Tirso, myself, and our posse would trudge into the place, have a seat among the heavy wooden furniture and trip out on the jazz band that would be playing there every weekend. I didn’t and still don’t know much jazz but I would always request “Take 5” since the drummer would do a long drum solo in the middle of the song and they would oblige us loud kids in the audience. The bands would also have cute singers so that was another thing that kept us coming back. The place at the time was full of soccer dad’s who would sit around, shoot the sh*t, and watch some games on the TV’s. It seemed like we were the only kids hanging out at the bar.

As it normally happens with good show bands in the Philippines, they hone their skills in the clubs and when they are ready, they end up playing abroad when the 6-month, 1 year contracts come their way and so the bar had no band for a short time. Ricky Cui who was the talent manager of the place then started his own band of older guys playing Jimi Hendrix and the Doors stuff. Miyaki, Sampaguita’s guitar player at one time, was in the band too. All the more us guys would come around, get bombed, and make lots of noise.

Ricky called me up one afternoon and asked me to session with them since they had lost their drummer so there I was in Kalye, middle of the afternoon, learning songs for 4 sets I was to play that night! Bwiset! Aside from the stuff I already knew how to play, I learned about 20 songs that we just extended to fit the time span. Miyaki kept doing stuff to throw me off…like in the middle of “Smoke on the Water” he’d break into the “My Sharona” riff. He was such a character, God rest his soul.

Anyway, we pulled it off that night and since so many young folks came out to see what we were gonna do, Ricky then offered Razorback to guest with them the following week. We came in and played a set in between theirs and thanked Ricky profusely for having us on the mic which sort of pissed off Dodie King, one of the owners of the place. Dodie and Ricky had a falling out and Dodie called us to see if we were open to playing there every Saturday. Tirso and I went to the joint to have a sit down with Mr. King and as we were about to agree with the terms of the contract I got a phone call from Isabel our singer at the time. She was crying on the phone telling me that she could not do it. Damn! Bummer! We told Dodie that we then had no singer but if he would hang on a bit, we’d be back, raunchier then ever. He did.

We contacted Josemari and he was game from the get go. After a few weeks of practice we were ready and we then played the venue for the next 4 years with some lineup changes in the early days. After our debut at the club, everything snowballed. Dodie asked if we knew anyone to take the Friday night slot and I knew that Coco Jam wanted to move from Mayrics which was their home base so I went and told Rolly, Jun Lopito, Bosyo and the guys about it and they took it without batting an eyelash. Next was the week nights so I hooked up Johnny Besa and the rest of the Breed with Wednesday nights and Advent Call who did Thursday nights for about 2-3 months. They were then replaced by Prettier Than Pink and that was that! Ok, guys….your turn to spill the beans on what went on there during those years.  :twisted:

Offline ortigas

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006, 03:00:49 PM »
Quote from: dizzychix76
god, Migs...that totally flashes me back...pasay days.  when "bulkan" was written in topepits sala.  I actually wanted to audition for razorback after cuervo left.  But i didnt think you guys would want another female vocalist.  in the end, Kev was the right choice :)

Hey there!!! Is this who I think it is? Welcom to the thread! I didn't want to tell about "Bulkan" at Topepits' and actually want Tirso, if he's willing, to tell more about that. Hehehe... :lol:

Offline toybitz

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 04:57:18 PM »
putik!  kala ko sira yun monitor ko..na kalahati lang ang nababasa yun pala, kalahiti ng screen ko yun laki ng avatar ni Pearljam!

Drop the leash!  Drop the leash! Get out of my *..8#4@ face! bagay ang lyrics ah.

hehehe,, ay! hahaha pala.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 05:14:22 PM »
Quote from: ortigas
Hey kumpare'ng Dyanni! I'm still struggling with the booze. It's always a struggle. I did quit the cigarettes but was smoking the small cigars naman. Sh*t.  :lol: In the process of quitting those too.  :roll:

Okay lang yun, meng... You did it before, you can do it again.  Kaya mo 'yan!  In spite of everything you've ever ingested, you're stronger than any of that.  :)  Me, I have three beers in a row sitting down and I'm done for the evening.   Must be getting old...  :P
Imagine a world without bass...

Offline toybitz

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2006, 05:26:07 PM »
a lot of my batches at lsgh '93 went to see you guys during your Kalye days.  and do you know who it was they would always be talking about every Monday?  yep, your youngest Bro...Dave.  8)

sayang, I never went with 'em every time may yayaan.

STRICT ANG PARENTS KO EH.

I had 10pm curfew.  Hang first set lang ako.. yun inuman set.  :lol:
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2006, 08:19:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing the story, Miguel.

It was a great read especially since I've followed the bands career during Kalye days. I remember I was 13-14 yrs old back then when I'd rush off every saturday to watch you guys. I believe we were always the youngest in the crowd everytime. One of my proudest memories was being there when Kevin announced that you guys have signed on for your first ever album. Been really proud to be there witnessing the development of the one and only band, who really shaped my music.

To this day, I have Razorback to thank for my development as a rock artist... and it's an honor when some people say that the sound of my band reminds them of Razoback. I simply say to myself, "hell yeah!" Coz you guys are my heroes.

Cyril :D

Offline ortigas

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2006, 08:52:21 PM »
Quote from: lovecore
To this day, I have Razorback to thank for my development as a rock artist... and it's an honor when some people say that the sound of my band reminds them of Razoback. I simply say to myself, "hell yeah!" Coz you guys are my heroes.
Cyril :D

Whoah! Thank you! It's for folks like you that we guys ROCK. Salamat... :D

Offline tony2tone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2006, 12:11:08 AM »
The first time I saw Razorback was on channel7 RSVP I was 13 years old then and was begining to learn my chops on the guitar but when I saw David who was the same age as I was like, WTF! ang galing. I was blown away with all the bands playing that time on the show, I could remember, Tame the Tikbalang, and that other band who played Red Hot Chili Peppers songs with the guy who just skinned his head for the show! Ceasar Montano was also on that show and I never thought the guy could play that well too. :lol: Anyway my bandmates, all my barkada and I has always been big fans of Razorback eversince we first heard you guys, you guys are a big influence on our music even sa guitar playing ko Dave and Tirso wala pang banda dito sa pinas na nakita kong napaka tight ang chemistry. Everytime Razorback came here to Cebu palagi kaming nanonood, never missed a gig that you guys had here in Cebu. Mabuhay kayong lahat!!!!! 8)

The Blues is the Roots, everything else is the Fruits.-Willie Dixon

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2006, 12:29:01 AM »
sinong nag sulat ng lyrics ng my banyo song ? hehehe ano ba talaga ibig sbihin nung song na yun ?

Offline tripnotic

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2006, 06:53:18 AM »
nakakapasok kami ng libre dati sa kalye bar. yung tropa ko pamangkin ng isang bouncer dun. ang masasabi ko lang madalang akong absent pag may gig razorback dun.

my band from back then covered giyang, my baño song, tabi ng bulkan, pepe the hepe and summa cum laude. damn miss those days...
#define SIGNAL(x) (((NOISE(x)+(NOISE(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define NOISE(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) \
- (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) \ - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111))

Offline ton2xx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2006, 07:52:22 AM »
Quote from: toybitz
putik!  kala ko sira yun monitor ko..na kalahati lang ang nababasa yun pala, kalahiti ng screen ko yun laki ng avatar ni Pearljam!

Drop the leash!  Drop the leash! Get out of my *..8#4@ face! bagay ang lyrics ah.

hehehe,, ay! hahaha pala.

+1 ako pare!
ton2x

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2006, 09:23:59 AM »

Ricky called me up one afternoon and asked me to session with them since they had lost their drummer so there I was in Kalye, middle of the afternoon, learning songs for 4 sets I was to play that night! Bwiset! Aside from the stuff I already knew how to play, I learned about 20 songs that we just extended to fit the time span. Miyaki kept doing stuff to throw me off…like in the middle of “Smoke on the Water” he’d break into the “My Sharona” riff. He was such a character, God rest his soul.

ahahaha!  :lol: thats classic Miyakee! good times meng..  :D
Are You Experienced

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Razorback's Origin...and on-going saga!
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2006, 10:58:51 AM »
Quote from: blues2death
in that same battle of the bands competition, i was a guitar player for the third band....razorback, aftermath and us...a name i wont reveal, not unless you guys can guess it---w/c you probably can't. :lol:

anyway...we sucked big time! i've only gotten a lil better in playing....but i'm proud to have been there---when razorback got their big break! 8)

Nyehehehe! Liar! What do you mean "I've only gotten a lil better"? Bull crap! Shall I bust your secret identity so everyone will know how in demand you are and how good you actually are?  :twisted:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline ortigas

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2006, 11:01:01 AM »
OK. 1st (?) RSVP TV Appearance. It was our first year playing in Kalye bar and we started getting noticed by the press. “Who are these white kids playing rock n’ roll in a club on weekends?” We didn’t give a crap about our public image and we didn’t care about what other “coño” kids thought. For most of them it was really weird that we would delve into this kind of lifestyle. They always knew we were rockers but to actually start a band that was not happy to stay in the garage or college campuses was too hard for some to swallow and so we then learned whom our “real” fiends were.

I got a call from a good friend of mine, Billy Bonnevie who is one of the head honcho’s of Pinikpikan today, and he told me that Channel 7 was interested in getting the day’s new young bands to come on a variety show hosted by Dawn Z. and Ariel Ureta. We were game from the beginning. The line-up of Razorback then consisted of all us guys minus Kevin. We had the brilliant idea of stuffing our pants with socks so when we came out on screen we would have the biggest crotches! It was all a big joke to us but when we arrived at the studio Josemari was already there sitting spread legged with the most enormous crotch and all the gay beauticians and PA’s kept walking by and checking him out with shocked expressions on their faces! Mwahaha!  :lol:  He thought we all meant to do it so it became an inside joke and he decided to tough it up and stick it out rather than remove it and get discovered as a fake.

Most of the bands that night played cover songs since no one had recordings or singles for that matter. Bazurak, fronted by Ritchie Recto, played a Red Hot Chili Peppers song and he was having a hard time with the lyrics so after rehearsal he wrote them on his arm. While hanging around and getting ready I had gone into the bathroom and there was Bazurak hovering around their bass player, trying to shave his head into a Mohawk. They were having a bitch of a time doing it as he had so much hair. I suggested we buzz it first then start shaving with a razor. His head had numerous poknats after the process from them running a razor straight through and being really rough at it. Tito Fritz Infante, the director of the show, was so pissed at them for doing that. “Que feo!” How ugly! He kept saying. They went on and performed their Chili Peppers song with Ritchie staring at his forearm for the lyrics the entire time! That bass player is none other than Nathan “Satan”  :twisted:  Azarcon who went on to become one of the best and most notorious bass players around with Rivermaya, Kapatid and today with Bamboo.

Razorback played a song called “Burning Tree” by a band of the same name which no one knew. They had one album under Epic Records which to my knowledge was never followed up. Their drummer, Doni Gray, is actually Doni Castello, a Filipino by birth. His brother Titong did a stint in the local movie scene back in the Pinas. We played a lot of Burning Tree cause it was hard rockin' and most folks had never heard that stuff so they just thought they were our songs.  8-[

So there we are kickin’ it on stage in front of all those lights and cameras. Dave was a chubby little kid…Louie had very short hair and did not look like “Cousin It” yet…Tirso was already in glamour mode complete with cowboy boots…I was about 260 pounds heavy (TABA) with my hair tied in a pony tail…and Josemari had his stuffed crotch! Whattaband! Needless to say, we got invited to perform on the show twice more before it got cancelled in the mid-90’s.

Offline ortigas

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2006, 12:38:08 PM »
Razorback played a song called “Burning Tree” by a band of the same name which no one knew.

Whoops...there goes my memory. That was the 2nd time we played on the show. I still have that on VHS. The first time I think we played "Smoke on the Water".

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2006, 02:03:55 PM »
around and getting ready I had gone into the bathroom and there was Bazurak hovering around their bass player, trying to shave his head into a Mohawk. They were having a bitch of a time doing it as he had so much hair. I suggested we buzz it first then start shaving with a razor. His head had numerous poknats after the process from them running a razor straight through and being really rough at it. Tito Fritz Infante, the director of the show, was so pissed at them for doing that. “Que feo!” How ugly! He kept saying. They went on and performed their Chili Peppers song with Ritchie staring at his forearm for the lyrics the entire time! That bass player is none other than Nathan “Satan”  :twisted:  Azarcon who went on to become one of the best and most notorious bass players around with Rivermaya, Kapatid and today with Bamboo.

Let's not forget that Bazurak's drummer was a kid named Mark Escueta. He's with some big band now, hmm starts with "R' or something :)

And that host of RVSP was pretty hot too I recall.... :) :)

Offline dizzychix76

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2006, 02:35:41 PM »
Quote from: dizzychix76
god, Migs...that totally flashes me back...pasay days.  when "bulkan" was written in topepits sala.  I actually wanted to audition for razorback after cuervo left.  But i didnt think you guys would want another female vocalist.  in the end, Kev was the right choice :)

Hey there!!! Is this who I think it is? Welcom to the thread! I didn't want to tell about "Bulkan" at Topepits' and actually want Tirso, if he's willing, to tell more about that. Hehehe... :lol:

Hahaha...you know who this is..i stalk the boards occasionally but finally I thought I'd speak up.  Where the hell is Tish when you need him???  God, the stories behind the music and Kalye days palang ang dami nang blackmail material!!! hehehe.  Was reading the thread yesterday and chatting with Dave and Cowboy :)  As I said, flashback.
"It's not PMS, maybe I just don't like you"

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2006, 03:51:18 PM »
Etoh na.... here comes the juicy stuff. Let's see if Razorback's "circle of trust" holds up -- if people are able to keep the blackmail material inside Pandora's box. Somehow, the bagoong stayed in the bottle on the Blue Rats thread -- not sure how, but it did -- so far.

The stuffed sock story is absolutely precious.  :lol:

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2006, 03:59:00 PM »
question lang po? ano po yung gitara ni david aguirre na white na stratocaster ? anong model po iyon ?

Offline ton2xx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2006, 05:11:10 PM »
Like the flying V of Tirso... rockstar!
ton2x

Offline ortigas

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2006, 06:47:33 PM »
Quote from: pinoymusika
Let's not forget that Bazurak's drummer was a kid named Mark Escueta. He's with some big band now, hmm starts with "R' or something :)

And that host of RVSP was pretty hot too I recall.... :) :)

That's right! Mark was their drummer and Rivermaya rocks!

Also, pinoymusika, you said it man! That Ariel Ureta is one hot babe! :wink:

Offline ortigas

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2006, 06:50:57 PM »
Hey dizzychix...I sorta knew it was you. Hehe. Coolness. What blackmail?

Blue Buddha: what "circle of trust"???  :twisted: Just kidding. But, really...blackmail?

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2006, 07:38:09 PM »
Quote from: bugoy
question lang po? ano po yung gitara ni david aguirre na white na stratocaster ? anong model po iyon ?

Migs, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was an early 90's American Standard strung with 10's. I think he eventually had it stripped of the paint, had it refinished with tung oil, stuck a tortoise shell pickguard on it, and strung it with 11's. That's the way it was by the time Miguel and he joined the Blue rats.

Pinakalikot niya sa akin 'yung gitarra na 'yan one day dahil umaangal siya na ang hirap i-bend 'yung 11's. When he handed it to me na-shock ako -- ang taas ng action sa nut/1st fret -- sort of what you'd expect to see at the 5th fret!!!  :shock: Sabi niya he liked the action pretty high 'cuz he'd do a lot of bends at the first and second frets, so iniwan ni Arie yung action that high. Binaba ko yung nut slots niya about halfway and he was fine. Did the same thing on his blue PRS Custom and that's about the way those guitars stayed after he left the Rats -- still pretty high off the 1st fret, but in tune for open chords and bendable.

The dude had fingers of steel.  8)

Offline ortigas

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2006, 08:44:30 PM »
Hey BB...you got that right fo' sho'. You know, he actually stripped most of the paint off of that thing himself?  :shock:

Offline mannyamador

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2006, 09:22:11 PM »
Quote from: ton2xx
Like the flying V of Tirso... rockstar!

Hmm... but I still have Tirso's old black Carvin!

That guitar still rocks. Have to repair the volume pot since something in it snapped (I wonder why...)!

Im here in Cebu now, but glad to see Miguel, Johnny, and the other Kalye dudes are posting here. I just joined the forum and this is my first post. Keep it rocking!!!!
Alternative Information and Opinion at:
http://www.phnix.net
http://mamador.wordpress.com Stand Up for Life!