hulika

Author Topic: -Details and taking care of your high end acoustic-  (Read 13439 times)

Offline Robotgoogle

• Netizen Level
-Details and taking care of your high end acoustic-
« on: February 08, 2006, 08:49:12 AM »
1. How do you take care of your acoustic?
2. Pickup installed?
3. Preamp used?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 08:56:57 AM »
....put it in a case and tuck it away in  your closet for a long time....although cheap lang and electric acoustic ko. :lol:
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Kulas

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 09:06:41 AM »
ako i make it a point to take it out and jam with it, kung possible daily, hehe. to help open up the woods, hindi hi-end yung acoustics ko, pero solid top sila. and after that, wipe up the strings and always store it in its case. i have an l.r. baggs ribbon transducer installed, bone nut and saddle. i use an l.r. baggs para acoustic d.i. preamp/direct box for the pickup. sounds great, almost like a martin, hehe. i use nga pala a jasmine (by takamine) s80s discontinued model, solid spruce top, jacaranda back/sides (part of the brazilian rosewood family) mahogany neck, gold tuners.

Offline agentx44

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 01:16:37 PM »
I own a mid-80s Yamaha I bought second hand. I make it a point to not let the strings rust out so I buy a fresh set (whatever brand basta wound yung G string) tapos I wipe the fretboard with some lemon oil to revive it a bit before i restring the neck. punas punas din bago itabi. for a 20+ year old acoustic it still sounds amazing, though its age is starting to show, pero at least we're aging gracefully together. hehehe.

word of advice. if you bring your guitar to a drinking session with your buddies, make sure you use a strap. and NEVER take a Taylor to a drinking session. period.  :lol:
soylent green is people.

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 06:16:13 PM »
Quote from: agentx44

word of advice. if you bring your guitar to a drinking session with your buddies, make sure you use a strap. and NEVER take a Taylor to a drinking session. period.  :lol:

Amen! That's what Lumanogs are for!  Hehehehe.  

Sayang hindi na kasing ganda ng Lumanog nung '80s yung mga Lumanog ngayon. :(

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 10:16:00 PM »
This is how I take care of my acoustic (kahit low-end siya):
1. Get a good gig bag or hardcase (the latter is better, that's why I'm getting one next week)
2. Have a cloth handy while playing. It doesn't hurt to be neat.
3. ALWAYS wipe after playing. Fingerprints that aren't wiped quickly get harder & harder to wipe off as time goes by.
4. ONLY let people you trust use your guitar. Avoid letting others using it even if you feel selfish  :twisted:
5. Invest in guitar polish, especially yung sa finish.

Yup, & since solid-top si Kristine (Oscar Schmidt OG2CE sa avatar), I play everyday to let the wood open up.
My preamp & pickup are all stock. Active piezo siya. Shadow yung brand.

:lol:  my guitar has a name

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 01:42:37 AM »
i have a humidifier in the same room i keep all of my guitars. also, whenever I change strings, I clean the fretboard with some very, very fine steel wool just to buff the frets and take the oxidation off.

humidification is very important to keep the woood from warping. don't store it in a very hot room and keep it away from sunlight.

I have 2 alvarez yairi guitars and a breedlove.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Robotgoogle

• Netizen Level
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 10:58:15 AM »
Ako share ko din yung akin acoustic guitar caring tips

1. Store it inside the case. I also put dehumidifiers (thirsty hippos) inside the guitar and the case.
2. Constantly change the dehumidifiers...to extract unneccessary moisture due to the high humidity here. Once every 2 weeks.
3. Wipe the strings with Fast Fret and use 3M High Performance cloth with oil (i forgot the name) to wipe the whole guitar. I do this twice a month at least.

Btw I have a Martin D-35 with K&K pickups and K&K XLR preamp. I use elixirs phosphor bronze nanos para matagal ako magpalit ng strings.

I am not using this guitar for drinking sessions...takot ko lang. I instead use a Takamine whilst watering my innards with my buddies.

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 12:15:29 PM »
Quote from: Robotgoogle
oil (i forgot the name) to wipe the whole guitar. I do this twice a month at least.

Use lemon oil.

I have a Giannini classic guitar which is 41 years old, Yamaha classic guitar with EMG pickup/preamp, and Sunlite dreadnought guitar.

I do not put dehumidifiers inside the guitar case.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline agentx44

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 03:21:57 PM »
Quote from: greasykid
Quote from: agentx44

Amen! That's what Lumanogs are for!  Hehehehe.  

Sayang hindi na kasing ganda ng Lumanog nung '80s yung mga Lumanog ngayon. :(

You said it. You'd be hard-pressed to find a Lumanog guitar with the "Lumanog Mojo" so to speak. One of my relatives had one, a big Gibson-style guitar that sounded awesome kahit Lumanog siya. Sadly, nabasag ng misis niya nung minsang nag-away sila. Ouch!

Most of the Lumanogs sold today are just giving the name a bad reputation.
soylent green is people.

Offline Robotgoogle

• Netizen Level
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 10:30:19 PM »

1. Store it inside the case. I also put dehumidifiers (thirsty hippos) inside the guitar and the case.
2. Constantly change the dehumidifiers...to extract unneccessary moisture due to the high humidity here. Once every 2 weeks.
3. Wipe the strings with Fast Fret and use 3M High Performance cloth with oil (i forgot the name) to wipe the whole guitar. I do this twice a month at least.

Btw I have a Martin D-35 with K&K pickups and K&K XLR preamp. I use elixirs phosphor bronze nanos para matagal ako magpalit ng strings.

I am not using this guitar for drinking sessions...takot ko lang. I instead use a Takamine whilst watering my innards with my buddies.

Meron bang me Martin dito sa Forum na ito?

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 11:10:58 PM »
case lang... minsan punas punas every 6mos or so- hehehe.... i love acoustics :D

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 11:59:03 PM »

wow a d-35... are u based here???

Offline Robotgoogle

• Netizen Level
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 08:02:58 AM »
Quote from: farseer

wow a d-35... are u based here???

yep. my first martin hope not my last.
naiipon ulit hehehe....

im based in singapore. i see your flickr pics maganda ang collection mo ng martin a. btw ok ba sa tomlee HK? madami ba silang martin dun at mura ba? baka next year bibili ulit ako ng martin...nakakadik e.

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 10:29:53 AM »
recently sold the d-28, hehe... im settlin w/ the D-41, taylor 912ce, guild f50, and the santa cruz d model.... currently gasssing for a d-18v...

best time to go to tomlees: july to august or feb- sale months yan.... the pricing is comparable w/ musiciansfriend... they have a lot of martins say 20-30 in stock, marami rin taylors 50++ and some gibsons...

what model are you looking for??? another dred or an om??? since your in singapore do check guitar gallery they have a fairly good stock of santa cruz guitars- no frills, but more expensive than a martin... very balanced and finely crafted guitars... try the prewar om, pinakamurang model- sounds heavenly...

:D

Offline Robotgoogle

• Netizen Level
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 05:46:19 AM »
oo nga nakita ko ang site nila. http://www.guitargallery.com.sg
wow talaga gas talaga.

kaya lang ang mahal na sobra...about 200K ang isa

makipagbonding lang muna ako sa martin ko. maraming nagtatanong kung magkano to sabi ko na lang parang me kotse ka sa loob ng bahay.  :lol:

pero malamang O ang kunin ko next time.

i heard hirap daw imaintain ng santacruz? is that true?

Offline Kulas

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 10:15:46 AM »
tindi talaga ng mga gitara mo dave, nakaka-laway, hehe. pag sawa ka na as santa cruz mo ibenta mo bargain, hehe. grabe, na in love ako nung natesting ko yan sa sounds good dati eh, hehehe. until now hindi ko parin nakikita yung shenandoah d-35 ni sir glen, hehe. oh well, saka na siguro ako bibili ng acoustic ulit, hehe. grabe gusto ko ng om-28, hehe. yun talaga pangarap ko, hehe. or a blueridge br-163. pre, naka-try ka na ba ng blueridge? i think may nag-ooffer sa jbmusic na magbenta nun eh, hehe. sabi ko nga kunin nila. an om-28 spec-ed guitar ng blueridge only costs around $600, a far cry from the $3k++ retail on the om-28, hehe. oh well...

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 10:20:35 AM »
wow talaga gas talaga.

makipagbonding lang muna ako sa martin ko. maraming nagtatanong kung magkano to sabi ko na lang parang me kotse ka sa loob ng bahay.  :lol:

i think pwede mo tawaran yun om prewar ng 130k- sulit na iyon rather than buy an om-28 na martin....
i havent had any problems w/ my santacruz... mahirap imaaintain in what sense??? its lightly built, manipis yun mga bracing kaya labas talaga yun tunog :D

Offline Kulas

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 01:05:47 PM »
scalloped bracing ata by default ang santa cruz guitars diba? ganda ng om ng santa cruz, hehe. well, maganda ang om size period, hehehe.

Offline Robotgoogle

• Netizen Level
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2006, 04:23:22 PM »
Quote from: farseer
wow talaga gas talaga.

i think pwede mo tawaran yun om prewar ng 130k- sulit na iyon rather than buy an om-28 na martin....
i havent had any problems w/ my santacruz... mahirap imaaintain in what sense??? its lightly built, manipis yun mga bracing kaya labas talaga yun tunog :D

mahirap imaintain dahil sa effects ng humidity..ewan ko yun lang nabasa ko.

cge cge....i will look closer dyan sa santacruz na yan.
medyo tigil muna ako sa gastos kasi kkbili ko lang ng martin. hindi ko pinapaalam kung magkano e kasi marami maiinis sakin hehehhe :lol:

tinignan ko ang mga ibang santa cruz lagpas 1M pesos  :shock:

ganito pala magkaroon ng GAS ang hirap magkaGAS!!!

sample: naghahanap ako ng preamp..ilang araw ako puyat kakabasa ng mga forum para makumbinsi ko sarili ko na ok ang preamp na bibilhin ko haay..

Offline Kulas

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2006, 04:45:52 PM »
preamp for acoustic? what's your pickup? pre i suggest the l.r. baggs para acoustic d.i. (it's bery bery nice, hehe) or the sansamp acoustic d.i. they're both great, hehe. sorry to fuel your gas, hehe. ang hirap talaga ng may gas, buti nalang nabili ko na ang ultimate gas ko (as of the moment, hehe)

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 11:35:28 PM »
Quote from: kulas
scalloped bracing ata by default ang santa cruz guitars diba? ganda ng om ng santa cruz, hehe. well, maganda ang om size period, hehehe.

not all are scalloped yun iba tapered braces lang

Om's are nice, but if you play those hi end dreds, iiba ang pananaw mo-hehehe

:D

Offline Kulas

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2006, 01:32:47 AM »
mashadong boomy na for my taste ang hi-end dreads eh. loud pre. gusto ko yung medyo balanced. nung time na nasa tomlee ako sa hongkong eh tinry ko talaga yung martins nila dun, at that time it was in a small glass room, hehe. tried several guitars. pero ended up liking the om-21 (liking lang, hehe. walang pambili_ i wanted to try the taylors nga rin eh, kaya nga lang may kano sa loob ng taylor room eh, antagal, ayaw umalis, nagjajamming mag-isa, hehe. so dun ako sa martins, hehe. so yun mas nagustuhan ko yung small bodied guitars. pero that's in the brand new condition. pano kaya pag nag-age na, yun, maybe that's a different story, hehe.

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2006, 07:02:04 AM »
ahhh.... ako kasi i want to feel the pressence of the guitar kaya medyo boomy gusto ko... standard d-18s and 28s are not boomy.... but if you want balance nothing beats santacruz- asymetric ang bracing to get the right treble and bass :D

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2006, 01:54:42 PM »
Can anyone clarify on the effects of furniture polish on an acoustic's tone? :?:

Kasi a store (that I frequently go to) uses Pledge to polish their guitars. Anyway, it feels smooth, and it's a bit more resistant to fingerprints.
But I've never really had a straight answer if this affects the tone...I'm worried about it building up on the finish..especially the top.