hulika

Author Topic: First look: Hands on with Ubuntu on Windows 10  (Read 2387 times)

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
First look: Hands on with Ubuntu on Windows 10
« on: April 13, 2016, 12:07:02 PM »
As someone who cut their teeth on early versions of Unix, one thing I’ve really missed on Windows is the wide variety of powerful and flexible commands that come along with most Unix distros. As a practical matter, the Windows shell (and PowerShell) have grown over time to provide essentially the same capabilities, but why relearn everything? Especially for those of us who also have Linux-based dev systems, and Linux-based servers, it is really painful to have to do everything two different ways. Cygwin is nice, but not really seamless or all-encompassing. So I couldn’t wait to try out Canonical’s Ubuntu for Windows when Microsoft announced it would become part of Windows 10. I snagged the Insider build as soon as it was available, and so far, have not been disappointed.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/226280-first-look-hands-on-with-ubuntu-on-windows-10
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

Offline Sugar Ray Vaughan

• Forum Fanatic
Re: First look: Hands on with Ubuntu on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 02:04:59 PM »
Meh. Fedora > Ubuntu
スキャンダル ★ 小野春菜

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 08:05:13 AM »
Meh. Fedora > Ubuntu

i used to agree to this. pero after trying out different linux flavors, mahirap ng sabihin kung ano ang 'meh' at ano ang 'wow'. they all have different uses especially if you are a user who has a strong preference on something. yung learning curve na lang ang dapat tinitignan ng user.
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 10:28:27 AM »
i used to agree to this. pero after trying out different linux flavors, mahirap ng sabihin kung ano ang 'meh' at ano ang 'wow'. they all have different uses especially if you are a user who has a strong preference on something. yung learning curve na lang ang dapat tinitignan ng user.

It will boil down to your preferences and what you are used to. I'm an RPM guy since the late 90's so I use Fedora on bleeding edge and desktops and RHEL on servers and prod. Oh, and that pesky RHEL clone, Oracle Enterprise Linux he he he (pwersado dahil ng OVM).

End users like my family don't care though. All they do is fire up the browser and they are happy.

Semper Erectus
Spur | Helical | Bevel | Hypoid | Crown | Epicyclic