hulika

Author Topic: BLUE RATS....95'-present.a decade of blues  (Read 133963 times)

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
BLUE RATS....95'-present.a decade of blues
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2006, 04:19:13 PM »
Nakamfutsa B2D! flashback ako!

Wind blowin at Whit Beach and bustin into some gnarly tunes on a full moon! hayop!  :twisted:

DD hey, I like the paris Hilton Vid!! haha  :wink:
Are You Experienced

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2006, 04:23:06 PM »
Dopediva, don't worry about the dudes that come up to you for a kiss. I used to use my hair as a splash guard so their laway wouldn't reach my face :lol:[/quote]

See!? now thats a pro!
 :wink:
Yeyuh!
Are You Experienced

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2006, 04:32:05 PM »
Quote from: lefty

Wind blowin at Whit Beach and bustin into some gnarly tunes on a full moon! hayop!  :twisted:

kainis no?  :lol:

hanggang flashback ka na lang meng....sarap kasi ng kain mo ng lomi nung hapon e...lomi ba yun o mami? :lol:

guitar intro...tseneng--tsuh--tsengk-tsengk-tsengk---tsengk-tsuh-tsengk...

"lakas ng tama tsong, lakas ng tama...ang lakas talaga ng tama ko sayo "
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2006, 04:42:15 PM »

ang talong (bow)

tipar ng talong,
panay po ang tanong.
kayo ba'y sang-ayon?
na ipagkalat ang nangyari do-on?(w/batangueño accent)

isang bus ng tipaklong
oh why is this wrong?
the feeling is strong
tuwang-tuwa si badong--(the little blue rat)

naalala ko no-on       (batangueño pa din)
nagsikipang maong    (dahil kay badong)
ang sarap tumalon     (daming tipaklong)
sa swimming pool do-on    (dont forget the accent)

can you guess how long?
the very innocent talong
mag ingat sa taga sumbong
baka blue rats ay makulong

si wendell,si miguel...pati na din si edmong
sila ang nagsipalo sa mga tipar ng talong
kuh ledesma nag sermon(g)
na ang blue rats mag suot ng barong( ewan--hirap e!)

tsuk-tsuk dito,tsuk-tsuk do-on
biglang nawala ang magic talong
you can never go wrong,with a talong this long!
un pala nandoon---subo subo ni apa ang kangkong!

guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2006, 05:02:21 PM »
Quote from: Beatrice Gomez
Quote from: ortigas
did i say too much? nah...no one knows pa rin what happened there... :lol:  :shock:  :twisted:  :wink:

Wet spot is an understatement!!! But enough of the Talong Party!!!! ENOUGH!!!!!  [-X  This secret must stay within the circle of trust.

I have to post some pictures and stuff. Will do soon.

Dopediva, don't worry about the dudes that come up to you for a kiss. I used to use my hair as a splash guard so their laway wouldn't reach my face :lol:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww...   :-&
Imagine a world without bass...

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2006, 07:09:43 PM »
Quote from: dopedeeva
Quote from: nathanmanansala
you know, i think i actually did hear veggie joe swoon and go RAAARRR. tas tinuturo nya yung katabi nya when people looked at him funny. be grateful for that. tinulugan lang nya yung D3 e.

oops! i didn't mean to push the wrong buttons here :) i'm grateful, more than you know...

there's no problem with the swooning, only with the excessive drooling especially before kissing me. :shock: try to be the girl in this case for a change...

unless veggie joe is a foreigner who drones on onstage when he jams and considers Hobbit House his lair, then he's definitely NOT old...(and if he slept through D3, that means he's hip...no offense Joric!!!) :)

:lol: i forgot my smilies. i was kidding (as usual). sorry. must remember to abuse those emoticons.

pero he really did doze off on D3. :mrgreen:

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2006, 07:41:00 PM »

Dopediva, don't worry about the dudes that come up to you for a kiss. I used to use my hair as a splash guard so their laway wouldn't reach my face :lol:

Ey B.G.! I can imagine a 30-minute shampoo indulgence as your after-gig regimen...hehe. :D Your 'best friend' Robert smothered my face in thick saliva sauce, and the memory of it drives me nuts!!! :roll: I better start growing my hair...

See!? now thats a pro!
 :wink:
Yeyuh!

Indeed :)
"When I see waste here, I feel angry on the inside. I don't approve of myself getting angry. But it's something you can't help after seeing Ethiopia." - Mother Teresa

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2006, 07:44:17 PM »

looks like someone here sold his soul to the pop devil  :twisted:
"When I see waste here, I feel angry on the inside. I don't approve of myself getting angry. But it's something you can't help after seeing Ethiopia." - Mother Teresa

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2006, 07:47:29 PM »
Quote from: blues2death

kainis no?  :lol:

hanggang flashback ka na lang meng....sarap kasi ng kain mo ng lomi nung hapon e...lomi ba yun o mami? :lol:

guitar intro...tseneng--tsuh--tsengk-tsengk-tsengk---tsengk-tsuh-tsengk...

"lakas ng tama tsong, lakas ng tama...ang lakas talaga ng tama ko sayo "

ahaha! ingit!  :twisted:
Are You Experienced

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2006, 07:49:23 PM »

looks like someone here sold his soul to the pop devil  :twisted:

nah, just to Paris Hilton.. Close enough! haha :wink:
Are You Experienced

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2006, 07:53:29 PM »
you know, i think i actually did hear veggie joe swoon and go RAAARRR. tas tinuturo nya yung katabi nya when people looked at him funny. be grateful for that. tinulugan lang nya yung D3 e.

oops! i didn't mean to push the wrong buttons here :) i'm grateful, more than you know...

there's no problem with the swooning, only with the excessive drooling especially before kissing me. :shock: try to be the girl in this case for a change...

unless veggie joe is a foreigner who drones on onstage when he jams and considers Hobbit House his lair, then he's definitely NOT old...(and if he slept through D3, that means he's hip...no offense Joric!!!) :)

:lol: i forgot my smilies. i was kidding (as usual). sorry. must remember to abuse those emoticons.

pero he really did doze off on D3. :mrgreen:

no worries man!  :wink:

I guess D3 took everyone by surprise (aka instant lethargy) :)

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2006, 08:52:21 PM »
Quote from: DyaniBee
did i say too much? nah...no one knows pa rin what happened there... :lol:  :shock:  :twisted:  :wink:

Wet spot is an understatement!!! But enough of the Talong Party!!!! ENOUGH!!!!!  [-X  This secret must stay within the circle of trust.

We are all really idiots airing dirty laundry (and little underthings), inside jokes, and skeletons for everyone to see......... BUT THIS IS THE GODDAM FUNNIEST THREAD I HAVE READ IN RECENT MEMORY! I am sitting here all alone laughing my ass off and crying...  :lol:  :cry:  :lol:  :cry:  :lol:  :lol:

B2d, i-record mo 'yung bagong kantang 'yan -- we'll do it. Huwag lang 12-bar -- dapat may inversions at 9ths para it really sounds tough.

Trice and DD -- you guys should meet. You'd really get along.

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2006, 08:57:02 PM »
Quote from: blue buddha

We are all really idiots airing dirty laundry (and little underthings), inside jokes, and skeletons for everyone to see......... BUT THIS IS THE GODDAM FUNNIEST THREAD I HAVE READ IN RECENT MEMORY! I am sitting here all alone laughing my ass off and crying...  :lol:  :cry:  :lol:  :cry:  :lol:  :lol:

B2d, i-record mo 'yung bagong kantang 'yan -- we'll do it. Huwag lang 12-bar -- dapat may inversions at 9ths para it really sounds tough.

We really should :) Laway pa lang to, and the weirdness doesn't stop there :)

Offline ortigas

« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2006, 09:56:27 PM »

see, buddha, no harm and lotsa laughs....and tears...peace, bruddah!

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2006, 12:42:42 AM »

haha! I know! i am hooked! I keep friggin checkin it!  :lol:
Are You Experienced

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2006, 12:55:24 AM »

haha! I know! i am hooked! I keep friggin checkin it!  :lol:
MGA ADDIK!!!! MGA ADDIK!!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  8)  :twisted:  :twisted:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2006, 07:27:23 AM »

none taken... he slept through the firebottle set too... teka... ako rin yun ah!

grabe na tong thread na to... this post on the history about the blues rats is quickly becoming part of that history!

mabuhay kayo!

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2006, 09:31:16 AM »
blue_buddha ...

does the band have plans of playing in Hobbit House in the future??

lagi kong nakikita yung banner nyo sa labas dati ng hobbit.. sayang ..

wala akong time..
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2006, 11:27:29 AM »
Dantuts, we haven't gone back to them recently to check it out 'cuz we've been playing out in QC rather often na. Hard for us to do a lot more than that 'cuz many of us work and do other things. We'll see how it pans out.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2006, 11:44:43 AM »
Quote from: deltaslim

grabe na tong thread na to... this post on the history about the blues rats is quickly becoming part of that history!

mabuhay kayo!

Oo nga e -- baka sobra na! Okay, I'll attempt to end this, but I have a feeling this ain't gonna work....  :lol:  It's just been too funny at na -addik na nga 'yung mga iba dito! Look at the "views" count -- crazy na.

Ok, here goes....read on dahil kasama ka dito... :wink:

….EPILOGUE….  :shock:

It’s June of 2035 –- some 40 years since the Blue Rats played their first set in public, and the 40th straight year that the band has been playing out and active. The reunion first discussed in August of 2006 is now FINALLY actually happening! They’ve returned to their old stomping grounds, the Hobbit House, which now houses a brothel featuring Korean and Russian prostitutes (alongside the locals of course) on the 2nd floor – in the space formerly known as The Hideaway. It is now called the “Hide The Lay”. B2b now operates HTL and it is also well known for its pizza and sizzling sisig. The Stetson hangs over the bar but the poncho is long gone. It was retired after having done double duty as a teaser costume in the “Western Suite” and a table cloth in the “Tokyo Room” -- the shabu-shabu pot was placed in the perfectly located head hole cutout -- but the and the irremovable stains of unknown origin and burned edging sealed its fate.

Some changes at Hobbit too. The acknowledgement of its past is evidenced by a single go-go cage to the left of the stage (in front of the Hobbit mural) in which a single naked Hobbit dances and prances around to the beat of whatever live band happens to be playing. All the waiters/waitresses are now of the regular sized variety, with not much more than a g-string/T-back/Tangga, bow tie, and the name “Hobbit” henna-tattooed across their chests to obscure “the goods”.

The Rats are an impressive sight and feature “The Coliseum of Sound”. Now having expanded to being a 13-piece “Ultimate Jam” band, the usual sets still begin with Statesboro Blues or Funky Mama, Hoochie or Chain of Fools in the middle, and end with Piece Of My Heart or Whipping Post. The current lineup features the following personnel:

• Cow (lefty) – guitars. Sporting a graying goatee, a “Mom” tattoo alongside a short chronological listing of GF’s on his sagging chest, he now plays righty after over 50 years of frustration trying to get his hands on nice left-handed guitars in the local shops.

• Johnny – bass. Now everything about Johnny is gray: hair, shirt, pants, socks, shoes, instrument (5-string Fender Roscoe Beck model in silver-gray), skin, and teeth.

• Leica Epperson – harp. Tom’s second daughter, she carries tattoos on both forearms of the Rat’s setlist indicating the keys in which the songs are performed. Some scarring due to occasional changes in keys as the vocalists in the band have changed over the years.

• Mikey Ortigas – manager. Miguel and Tricie’s son, he can neither keep a beat nor sing… much less play anything having to do with notes. But he really loves the band. Really truly. “BLUE” tattooed on his right calf, “Rats” tattooed over his heart.

• Doric Manansala (delta_fattone) – guitars. Nathan’s 12 year old daughter (an accident in Nate’s mid-life crisis) who turns out to be a telecaster prodigy and slidemaster, and her Uncle Joric’s goddaughter. She recalls her dad and uncle constantly arguing over a band called the blue rats and what-gear-who-played-when-and-how. Karma talaga that she ended up joining the band. Funny how that works.

• Mai-Mai Mislang – vocals. dopedeeva’s daughter. Conceived in a test tube (“I have had it with these spineless, “cojones-less” pinoy men… never again!”) and raised by a single parent, this long haired beauty was taught the tricks of the trade by her mom – secrets passed on down by other Rats vocalists over the years (example: Using one’s hair as a laway guard against lascivious old men who attack the stage). She did not only inherit her mom’s husky, bluesy, pitch-perfect voice, but apparently her biological father’s mestizo good looks. Although it remains a secret only known to “the circle of trust”, it is widely rumored that the sperm donor was none other than former Rat/Razorback David Aguirre.

• Joey Puyat – soloing coach and “gears and equipments” manager. Long retired from playing onstage, his mandate is to keep the Rats’ soloists in “tasty” mode. It his also his life’s mission to invade gear forums on the web and educate forum members that the words “gear” and “equipment” inherently describe “a plurality”, and there is no need – nay even, it is actually grammatically wrong – to add the letter “s” at the tail end of these words.

• Vic Borgailly – drums. The senior member of the Rats drumming duo, “Mang Vic” (as he is fondly known) visibly looks and audibly sounds younger by the year unlike the rest of his Rats contemporaries. Some suspect that he has found the “fountain of youth” by selling his soul to the devil. Others ascribe this dual phenomenon to the improved chemical formulations of the Clairol Corporation (manufacturer of hair dyes) and the Chinese triads (manufacturers of street contraband who have successfully turned around the market perception of their products – from illegal, harmful, substances to invigorating health/dietary supplements).

• “Baston” Ongpin – drums, vocals, and multi-instrumentalist. Offspring of Apa and #8. It turns out that #8 (not meant to be a derogatory label – meant specifically to protect identities) was the magic bullet. Unlike his parents, it turns out this guy can keep time, sing, play any stringed instrument, keys, horns, woodwinds, etc. Veritable “stevie wonder/prince” type genius. Together with Mang Vic and his 32-piece kit (not counting cymbals or toys pa – drums lang ‘yan!), they are the showstopping percussion foundation of the band. He also fills in at any instrumental position that’s missing on any given night.

• Joe Ingarra – pastor/spiritual leader. Now in his 80’s, he has been advised by his doctor’s to stop tooting his horn lest he risk a stroke by tooting too loudly. Ironically, in a dream one fateful evening last year, it was revealed that the Rats needed saving and he has been advised by the guy upstairs to start tooting his horn lest he never see his old bandmates up there when the time comes as a result of his not tooting loud enough. He has come back to the Rats. He leads the pre-gig and post-gig thanksgiving prayers, and regularly sits in his wheelchair during performances onstage to the left. Tonight, he is seated next to the naked gyrating hobbit in the cage.

• Butz Roxas – guitars. Son of Butch Roxas. Considered a “miracle baby”, he was born to his parents with no complications while the couple were in their 50’s. Serious chops from excellent musical genes. Even more incredible: Now he REALLY looks like Uncle Johnny!!! Plus he only wears black pa..... One time 3 years ago at this private gig in Alabang, the band is in the middle of “You Can Have My Husband But Please Don’t Mess With My Man”, this gorgeous babe walks up to Butz…….

• Kim Dosado – vocals. Now going by her more famous stage name “Kimmie Dorado” (yes, she’s one and the very same person!), she occasionally joins the old band when her schedule allows it. Her very successful solo career and keen business sense has made her a household name the world over. “Bayaning Pinoy”, “Asia’s Queen Belter”, etc. – all well deserved titles. Following last year’s welcome concert in Vegas where Lani Misalucha turned over her gig to Kimmie D. at the MGM Grand, Kim came home to purchase a majority equity stake in Ambergris Solutions – yes, the very same company that hired the Rats for the Rockstar competition, declared Kim the winner, and started her singing career in 2006. Kim now owns 75% of Ambergris (Php 5.2B in net income from operations last year) and plans to take an active hand in the management of the company and its 25,000 employees in 30 operating centers nationwide.

• AL (BB) – The Last Original Rat Left Standing. Literally. Long unable to continue playing guitar because the gout had crept up to his fingers about 10 years ago, BB can still be seen onstage at every Rats gig. He is the guy in between the harp and guitar amps. Standing. He’s the last original rat left standing (remember, joe is sitting). When the set begins and the band dives into that first note at every gig, he stands. When the last crash of the cymbal cuts through the air at the end of final encores, he’s still standing.  Standing standing standing. And smiling.

As the night progresses, about 30 ex-rats begin filing into Hobbit. In 2035, most of the rest who had jammed with the Rats in the old days are now with Bosyo and Norman. The talk turns toward an assessment (most very predictable) of the Rats’ 40 years:

• still no album released
• still no website
• still no segué into songs
• still no set lists 100% followed
• know the beginning, know the end, bahala na how we get there
• inside jokes and “figuring out what to play next” still the norm onstage
• this thread is now 16,729 pages long with 8,946,738 views

And yet, Hobbit is packed this evening and the plotting goes on – just as it had over 40 years -- about how to spread the blues gospel. Right before the band begins the first set, the conclusion then is very clear:

“THE BLUES IS NOTHING BUT A GOOD BAND HAVING ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHEN TO QUIT.”

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Count 'em -- that's 13 smilies!

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2006, 12:33:00 PM »
[strawberry] Brilliant!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Best. Post. Ever.

ahahaha! I couldnt eat while reading this!

Right on Blue Buddha! :twisted:
Are You Experienced

Offline ortigas

« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2006, 12:53:41 PM »
Buddha be praised. Yeyuh!!!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2006, 01:11:20 PM »
WOW!  Funny, intruiging, imaginative, and inspiring all at once!

• Doric Manansala (delta_fattone) – guitars. Nathan’s 12 year old daughter (an accident in Nate’s mid-life crisis) who turns out to be a telecaster prodigy and slidemaster, and her Uncle Joric’s goddaughter. She recalls her dad and uncle constantly arguing over a band called the blue rats and what-gear-who-played-when-and-how. Karma talaga that she ended up joining the band. Funny how that works.

Wow, ewan ko kung payag si Nathan mangyari yan. Malamang proxy lang ako sa binyagan sa chapel tapos dala angkan sa reception.  :-) Pero swerte sino man ang inaanak ko na magkahilig sa blues music or slide guitar.  He/she surely will inherit both!  One of my inaanaks is now also a forumite and plays funk/jazz/rock regularly sa Malate. "Creation" ko daw siya. :-)

In 2035, kaming audience nyo will bring bullhorns na. Di na kami makasipol kasi wala nang ngipin at lung power. And you can't hear that well na!  Pero tuloy pa rin ang ligaya!!!  :-)

Me, I'm waiting for the day that I'm too old to stand on my own power. Then I can start to learn pedal steel slide guitar. :-)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2006, 01:40:48 PM »
naknamp*&tsah!

hilarious!

pero bakit naging brothel pimp ako? :shock: may double meaning nanaman ba to? :lol:

ok, in the spirit of good fun.....

blue buddha you have failed to mention the "53rd talong rave party". :shock:

aaaahhh....after 50+ years of refusing to headline that event, the blue rats have finally conceded and signed a 10 yr contract to be the main act of the said party.much to the dismay of pastor joe ingarra--w/c led to numerous debates with present band members ( " what will your parents think?") to threats of kidnapping joey puyat (so that they wont have access to their equipment ")....after failing to convince certain shady figures and political leaders to ship the party organizers to afghanistan---on that fateful day, pastor joe comes back to the blue rats fold,in tears, asking AL if he can have dibs on "tooting" the talong after the party.

the talong party organizers? who are these people? well they arent the original party mongers that had those two parties where the blue rats originally played.

these are a new breed of vegetable lovers.....they got their inspiration from a certain thread on philmusic. after years of reading,interpreting,excessive p.m'ing miguel o and b2d( "cmon guys let us in on the joke...no one will ever know") these former thread reader addicts ran away with the idea that vegetables are good tools for &^%^ and *&^*&^.and they didnt stop there. talong parties over the years have progressed from fondling eggplants to all sorts of vegetables....ampalaya and kalabasas to name a couple. :shock:

ayun na...we created a monster. made b2d happy though...coz he made a killing supplying ...uhm, employees from HTL to work as waitresses at the partyfor 40+years until finally retiring in malate,trying to live the glory days.

forever sealing the animosity between pastor joe and b2d,former pals/bandmates and easily the youngest and oldest male members of the band at one time.now two character on opposite sides of morality. hehehe.....

the blue rats thread posts suddenly rose from 50 to 500 a day. a reunion was in the works...and every ex-rat wanted to be involved.even email activity in the blue rats yahoo groups increased, leading to a breakdown of numerous servers all around. for a band who doesnt have a website, you guys certainly caused quite a commotion on the internet.

incredible,just incredible.... :lol:

Offline Beatrice Gomez

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2006, 05:55:12 PM »
Quote from: blues2death
naknamp*&tsah!
53rd talong rave party

Sabi nang ENOUGH TALONG PARTY!!!!!  

[-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X