hulika

Author Topic: First Ever Diezel Herbert in the Philippines  (Read 120680 times)

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
First Ever Diezel Herbert in the Philippines
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2006, 04:00:11 PM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
Think Helmet during the Aftertaste sessions.

now this is interesting. the Helmet sound is one of my favorites.
Surf's Up!

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »
Quote from: glassjaw_jc
Think Helmet during the Aftertaste sessions.

now this is interesting. the Helmet sound is one of my favorites.

one of my favorite heavier sounds too. that and adam jones on lateralus.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2006, 04:22:01 PM »
Helmet is great - heavy and groove oriented. I had the pleasure of seeing them live during the Aftertaste tour and during one of their recent shows with the original lineup. Page still uses the VHT PitBull. On the other hand, Adam Jones does use a Diezel but actually triamps with a Marshall bass head and a Dual Rectifier live. Its not a heavy sound but, rather, an expansive one since he exploits the tonal characteristics of each amp and what they are good at. The setup hasn't changed much between Aenema and Lateralus from what I can remember.

Phil, the THD would be a great alternative to the Palmer, especially because its much cheaper AND has a built in noise reduction system. Sadly, everytime I ask around for one no one ever has one in stock to try out, or order.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2006, 10:54:35 PM »
Quote from: oasgomez
fretburner,

Pretty bold statement but remember I am just on my Honeymoon period Day 2.  But that being said, I have not heard of any Peavey, Marshall or Fender sound like this.  Parang kinuha niya ang "best of" at tinanangal ang "worst of".  Classic records nga talaga ang old Fenders and Marshalls and I believe they have their own thing going which this Herbert will NOT duplicate.  And I will still continue to collect the boutique versions of Fenders and Marshalls. But...

Diezel is different.  It has its own voicing.  Parang kung Ferrari at Porsche, biglang nagkaroon ng McLarren.

well... it should be different. too bad i'm not into that stuff, and so are most of the greatest guitarists.

nwy... you misspelled mclaren. and yes, the malaysian gp is very very boring to say the least. fvck renault!
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 04:56:53 AM »
Phil, how is the THD working for you?
it's working out really well. I use it everyday...everytime I fire up the Legacy and the MTS. When using really high attenuation like -16Db the tone suffers ...it gets bassy...that is why theres a bright and low switch...but in my case I just compensate by changing my amp's EQ....the bright and low switch changes the tone drastically.....it's either too bright or too bassy. I have the 8ohm for my 2x12...I can also use it if I go 4x12.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2006, 04:58:30 AM »
Phil,

There is a second global assignable Master Volume pot.  Based on my limited experience with the Herbert, the master volume really functions like a true master volume because even at low volumes the overdrive still sounds thick.  It does not sound thin or fizzy.  If master volumes were designed to be this good, I guess we dont need attenuators.  I think Mojave Ampworks has something similar.
now that is effin' awesome. ....post some clips... will ya?

here's a friend of mine who recently got a Mesa Mark IV head.....awesome amp....check it out.
http://www.oz.net/~markw/markiv_mix.mp3

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2006, 08:05:45 AM »
Phil, your friend purchased a fine amp. Love the Jazz tone too! You don't see very many people still using the Mark IV but it is one heck of a work horse. I've had mine for close to 10 years and it has been through everything. Mesa makes some durable amps, thats for sure.

Offline buliwyf

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2006, 12:07:53 PM »
meron ako nakita video dati some dude with his herbert, demo nya. too bad i lost the link.

sarap nyan live siguro.. 180W of EL34 Powa! no need to worry about kainis sound engineers taking control of your volume hehe.

Offline buliwyf

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2006, 12:35:18 PM »
Quote from: buliwyf
ah eto yata yun:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6439601805213666365&q=diezel

56K NO!!

Mark Seal...guitar instructor yan....also an amazing guitar player.

that amp sounds awesome.....gain galore.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2006, 02:30:04 PM »
Quote from: buliwyf
ah eto yata yun:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6439601805213666365&q=diezel

56K NO!!

Now, that's sounds great! Nice clean to gain heaven and everything in between. It would be nice to have a Diezel but at the present time, IMHO, i pretty much get the same flexibility, great tone, and heavenly gain from my current setup. It only cost me half of what a Diezel cost.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2006, 03:46:43 PM »
amen - you use what works, man, because in the end, all amps and guitars are tools to get the music out there.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2006, 04:04:01 PM »
amen - you use what works, man, because in the end, all amps and guitars are tools to get the music out there.

Yup indeed !

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2006, 04:22:35 PM »
Quote from: Phil
Phil,

There is a second global assignable Master Volume pot.  Based on my limited experience with the Herbert, the master volume really functions like a true master volume because even at low volumes the overdrive still sounds thick.  It does not sound thin or fizzy.  If master volumes were designed to be this good, I guess we dont need attenuators.  I think Mojave Ampworks has something similar.
now that is effin' awesome. ....post some clips... will ya?

here's a friend of mine who recently got a Mesa Mark IV head.....awesome amp....check it out.
http://www.oz.net/~markw/markiv_mix.mp3

Now, I like the sound of that amp. Very flexible. Nice clean to grind heavy. I Likes very mucho!!!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2006, 01:46:21 AM »
Congrats Alex.  Marami ka na namang makukuhaan ng comments hehehe.  I find myself lucky to have tested yer amp at least for like an hour or so.  I posted this initial review in another forum.

CHANNEL 1 (Clean)

Drop-dead Fender.  Something I never expected from a killer-looking head.  It really breathes.  Responds to your playing.  The sad part however is the absence of reverb, which could have been great.

CHANNEL 2 (Mid Gain, Plexi-voiced)
There are 2 sub-channels, the (-) and (+) modes, namely.  

The (-) mode sounds more like a vintage Marshall Plexi, with more smoothness and an unspeakable pronounced low-mid.  Not as much gain for modern rock, but definitely something that competes with a Rivera.

The (+) mode on the other hand sounds more like (-) on steroids.  Great articulation, dark but airy sounds that remind me somewhat of a Marshall JCM800, only with a bigger low end and harmonically-rich mids.

CHANNEL 3 (High Gain)

Fat Boogie sound + Marshall grind.  Not the most insane gain I was expecting, but it responds very well to palm-muting riffs.  The detuned guitars sound very articulate and tight.  But do not expect it to be around death metal territory. EDIT:  I liked the dash of edge in the sound...

ADDITIONAL CONTROLS

- Has a mid-cut mode (scoop) that I think was made primarily to compensate for different speaker configurations.  The mid-cut somewhat took the low-mids from the V30s.  Also great when turned on with Channel 3.  Somewhat close to old school metal scoop.

- Also has global DEEP and PRESENCE mode where you can adjust the ultra lows and ultra highs to match different pickup configurations.

I'll try converting some of the soundclips I recorded using my cellphone.  (AMR format).  They're very lo-fi, but somewhat gives you an impression of what the amp can do.  When they're ready, I'll post them...

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2006, 06:15:17 AM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk
Congrats Alex.  Marami ka na namang makukuhaan ng comments hehehe.  I find myself lucky to have tested yer amp at least for like an hour or so.  I posted this initial review in another forum.

CHANNEL 1 (Clean)

Drop-dead Fender.  Something I never expected from a killer-looking head.  It really breathes.  Responds to your playing.  The sad part however is the absence of reverb, which could have been great.

CHANNEL 2 (Mid Gain, Plexi-voiced)
There are 2 sub-channels, the (-) and (+) modes, namely.  

The (-) mode sounds more like a vintage Marshall Plexi, with more smoothness and an unspeakable pronounced low-mid.  Not as much gain for modern rock, but definitely something that competes with a Rivera.

The (+) mode on the other hand sounds more like (-) on steroids.  Great articulation, dark but airy sounds that remind me somewhat of a Marshall JCM800, only with a bigger low end and harmonically-rich mids.

CHANNEL 3 (High Gain)

Fat Boogie sound + Marshall grind.  Not the most insane gain I was expecting, but it responds very well to palm-muting riffs.  The detuned guitars sound very articulate and tight.  But do not expect it to be around death metal territory. EDIT:  I liked the dash of edge in the sound...

ADDITIONAL CONTROLS

- Has a mid-cut mode (scoop) that I think was made primarily to compensate for different speaker configurations.  The mid-cut somewhat took the low-mids from the V30s.  Also great when turned on with Channel 3.  Somewhat close to old school metal scoop.

- Also has global DEEP and PRESENCE mode where you can adjust the ultra lows and ultra highs to match different pickup configurations.

I'll try converting some of the soundclips I recorded using my cellphone.  (AMR format).  They're very lo-fi, but somewhat gives you an impression of what the amp can do.  When they're ready, I'll post them...
.......so are you the 2nd Diezel Herbert in the Philippines...next to oasgomez?

Offline vinCe-uv7bk

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2006, 06:41:53 AM »
pics naman dyan at sound clips  :mrgreen:

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2006, 07:02:58 AM »
Day 2 Honeymoon: I discovered that the tone controls cover a wide range. If you tweak one knob, not much difference parang fine tuning lang.  If you tweak another knob, suddenly a whole range of difference.

Day 3 Honeymoon: I spent 12 hours at Arie's house.  We tested the amp for a straight 9 hours, we just gave it a 1 hour lunch break.  Skunky Funk dropped by, so did John Blues and Mel Po.  They got to test the amp.  The Herbert is now Arie's favorite amp because all three channels sound unique and great.  Mel also liked it because it can capture Marshall cranked sounds at ANY volume.  I just personally like the amp because of its unique sound character that none of the amps I have heard have.  Sulit raw ang gastos and I agree if you really have to gig with one tube amp, this is it despite the weight.  

I have not yet tesed the multi-channels amps from FUCHs, Brunetti, Hughes & Kettner, ENGL and even the Mark IV.  But I have to say that at this point in time, this is the best sounding multi-channel amp.  I have to say that it just simply amazing and nothing and I repeat nothing from Mesa, Marshall, Peavey and Fender has ever impressed me this much.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2006, 08:50:11 AM »
Day 2 Honeymoon: I discovered that the tone controls cover a wide range. If you tweak one knob, not much difference parang fine tuning lang.  If you tweak another knob, suddenly a whole range of difference.

Day 3 Honeymoon: I spent 12 hours at Arie's house.  We tested the amp for a straight 9 hours, we just gave it a 1 hour lunch break.  Skunky Funk dropped by, so did John Blues and Mel Po.  They got to test the amp.  The Herbert is now Arie's favorite amp because all three channels sound unique and great.  Mel also liked it because it can capture Marshall cranked sounds at ANY volume.  I just personally like the amp because of its unique sound character that none of the amps I have heard have.  Sulit raw ang gastos and I agree if you really have to gig with one tube amp, this is it despite the weight.  

I have not yet tesed the multi-channels amps from FUCHs, Brunetti, Hughes & Kettner, ENGL and even the Mark IV.  But I have to say that at this point in time, this is the best sounding multi-channel amp.  I have to say that it just simply amazing and nothing and I repeat nothing from Mesa, Marshall, Peavey and Fender has ever impressed me this much.

It's true that it sounds much like a cranked Marshall at any volume.  It has some unspeakable linearity as far as power is concerned.  My gripe with the amp however, is I wish it had more gain in Channel 3.   Another gripe is it is worth $4.1k.

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2006, 11:28:13 AM »
how can EL34s sound like Fender Cleans?
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2006, 12:01:19 PM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk

It's true that it sounds much like a cranked Marshall at any volume.  It has some unspeakable linearity as far as power is concerned.  My gripe with the amp however, is I wish it had more gain in Channel 3.   Another gripe is it is worth $4.1k.

MOre gain? Really? Hmmm... wonder, wonder. I agree with your # 2 gripe, $4.1K. That's a lot of dough.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2006, 12:44:45 PM »
Why would you want more gains in the second channel? Is it not enough? I would imagine that having more gain requirement would just have one go to channel 3 OR just crank up the volume to saturate the amp. I prefer natural saturation over gain, but thats me. $4K for the amp is a bit much but when I was shopping around for something that eventually brought me to the VH4S, there really wasn't anything that gave me the sound  that the Diezel could dish out. Oh well...I still think it is a bit much for an amp head but the MIDI capability had me sold - the less clutter on my pedal board, the better. Besides, its another tool in the box, I think, and the variety between my Mesa stuff does me plenty good. I wouldn't say the thing blew me away either...it was just different and nice; an amp head that I could use for a lot of tones across the board.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2006, 01:00:56 PM »
Why would you want more gains in the second channel? Is it not enough? I would imagine that having more gain requirement would just have one go to channel 3 OR just crank up the volume to saturate the amp. I prefer natural saturation over gain, but thats me. $4K for the amp is a bit much but when I was shopping around for something that eventually brought me to the VH4S, there really wasn't anything that gave me the sound  that the Diezel could dish out. Oh well...I still think it is a bit much for an amp head but the MIDI capability had me sold - the less clutter on my pedal board, the better. Besides, its another tool in the box, I think, and the variety between my Mesa stuff does me plenty good. I wouldn't say the thing blew me away either...it was just different and nice; an amp head that I could use for a lot of tones across the board.
from Mark Seal's clip ...that is enough gain for me....looks like you guys need more time tweeking that amp...if you can't get gains like Mark Seal's clip ...then there is something wrong with your amp.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2006, 01:23:18 PM »
i also watched that mark seal vid. the gain he got from channel 3 was unreal. naka strat pa siya (errr... naka single coils nga ba yun?).
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2006, 02:03:31 PM »
indeed - channel 3 was wayyyyy more than enough gain for anything. i mean pair that amp with either EMG 81s or Bill Lawrence L-500s and that should be more than enough for anything you might need! In fact, I even turn the gain down on my VH4 to get more clarity to cut through. If you arent getting enough oomph out of your Herbert then maybe you need to check the tubes because they might not be saturating properly - check the color of the tubes to see if you have faulty tubes.