hulika

Author Topic: multi effects or individual pedals  (Read 5832 times)

Offline erwinwakadu

• Philmusicus Noobitus
multi effects or individual pedals
« on: April 28, 2015, 03:05:55 AM »
ask ko lang po ano po mas maganda multi effects or individual pedals?

Offline lundai

Re: multi effects or individual pedals
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 05:38:52 AM »
individual/analog ser..

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 06:52:32 AM »
It is unfair to dismiss the argument to which is better  between the two by merely saying analog is superior to digital.
Both tier of equipment has their pros and cons and with the advancing quality in the digital re-production of classic effects it would be hard not to take notice.
"Join the darkside,we have cookies."

Offline denden009

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 08:44:18 AM »
It is unfair to dismiss the argument to which is better  between the two by merely saying analog is superior to digital.
Both tier of equipment has their pros and cons and with the advancing quality in the digital re-production of classic effects it would be hard not to take notice.

+1

Its just a matter of preference. I'll give myself as an example; Last year I sold all my pedals and acquired a Zoom G3, bakit? Kasi kaya ko parin naman i-nail yung tone na gusto and the fact na kasya sya sa compartment ng guitar bag ko and tamad ako mag bitbit ng extra baggage pag pupunta sa shows where I travel for 2 or almost 3hrs just to get to the venue and play a 15-20 set (lols hassle kaya)

P.S. I used to hate multi effects kasi tunog digital DAW mehhhhh.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 09:30:36 AM »
Nasa use case yan.

If you're gunning for the best tone, individual pedals are the best. If you're gunning for practicality, multi effects hold good ground.

Multi-effects have come a long way since they came into mainstream use in the 90s. The DSP is better, and there are amp sims. Modulation effects have always been a strong point of digital effects (because, how hard can it be, it's effing digital). But is this something you'd bring to a recording session or a concert? I don't think so. But it's a great thing to have on bar gigs. Even big-name (gringo) musicians have multi effects to lug around for when the afterparties come up on random bars.

That being said, individual pedals have signature sounds, and of course the quality is better, especially for analog pedals  which is about as pure as you can get in terms of modifying signals. Think about it this way, people fight over the sound of different releases of the same exact pedal (ProCo RAT, Danelectro Transparent OD, Boss DS-1) like how drummers fight over which vintage of Zildjian New Beats sounded best. That's the level of nuance you get with individual pedals. But with a sizable pedalboard, is it something practical to lug around? If you don't have a car or roadies, it can be quite tough. A blues pedalboard is not a bother at all, but if I had to make a pedalboard that does what my multi effects does for me now? I'd probably need a chiropractor.

In the end, right now it's a choice between sound and practicality. And proof of that is multi effects living snugly in a pedalboard among individual pedals. tons of G3s and MS50Gs alongside wamplers and Bosses.

Personally, sure I'd love top notch sound, but to get the sound I get from my multi effects now, I'd have to spend tons of good money on individual pedals and probably a pedalswitcher/patchbay. Mahal kaya ang TC!  :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 12:27:18 PM »

short answer:

depende sa pag gagamitan mo.

further:

kung mag shoshowband ka, at iba ibang genre ang icocover niyo na kailangan ng iba't ibang patches, sa multi ako dun hands down.

kung may specific genre ka i.e. rock and roll, best to use an individual setup for the best tonal quality.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline chipsdelight

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 01:05:58 PM »
IMO better to use muli effects with Manual Mode. Like Boss ME series. not the best tone as stomp boxes but a very convenient na mageenjoy ka rin sa paglalaro ng effects.. Kung ikaw ay isang gitarista na isang genre at compo ang tinutugtug, ok na siguro ang Multi na may manual mode. (Yun ay kung gusto mo ng convenient kahit wala kang sasakyan).

Offline david_leyson

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 01:16:55 PM »
Well, it depends on how you will use it and most of all convenience for overall, if you really love different kinds of settings, multi effects will sure come in handy, but if you're satisfied with just such effects better stay analog/individual pedals, this is just an arguement of which setting suits you best.

IMHO, hassle lang sa multi kapag nagkaproblema, paktay talaga kasi all-in hindi mo magagamit, unlike sa individual setup, if one pedal had a problem, yung iba hindi madadamay, just remove the ones that has the problem and tuloy padin. just my 2 cents :D
Faith Hope and Love, but the Greatest of these is Love.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 01:54:32 PM »
IMO better to use muli effects with Manual Mode. Like Boss ME series. not the best tone as stomp boxes but a very convenient na mageenjoy ka rin sa paglalaro ng effects.. Kung ikaw ay isang gitarista na isang genre at compo ang tinutugtug, ok na siguro ang Multi na may manual mode. (Yun ay kung gusto mo ng convenient kahit wala kang sasakyan).

I think that's important. while most multi-effects already have manual mode, even in the lower tier products, it's important to note the flexibility of the interface and signal processing. You wanna have a multi-effects unit that behaves a lot like a real pedalboard like the aforemention Boss ME series, the Zoom G3/G5, and the Line 6 POD HD300 and higher. patch-only multi effects can work, but it's not the best option unless you can pull off that high school move where you have to rape the pedal with your foot so you can activate the patch 10 banks away before the chorus comes on.

Offline binting

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 11:38:34 PM »
what music do you play sir?

Offline erwinwakadu

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 10:52:11 AM »
pop rock po sir.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 11:03:56 AM »
depende talaga sa tinutugtog.

but think of it this way, many hunt for first editions of famous pedals like TS808, DS1, Rat,

since finding a good sounding pedal like the above mentioned is hard and often pricey,

people resort to replicas and clones. dito sumikat sina analogman or robert keeley.

when i say replica, i mean that these people hunt down for old capacitors and other old components and use them to make a pedal.

clones on the other hand, makers use the modern version of the old components at the very least, else they use substitutes.

but hindi porket tama on paper the tama na tumunog, hendrix and eric johnson are known to be choosy -- they choose the best amongst say 6 available pedals.

SRV is known to go through Tubescreamers in every town he visits. analog pedals are not made the same.

Hence, if an average Brand X pedal from 1982 is worth 400. a seller with an exceptional sounding pedal of the same make and year usually opt to sell their unit at 600-700 dollars.  that's the reason behind the premium.  usually these pedals sound alive, 3D and very transparent specially when compared to the modern production pedals. of the same make.

BUT BUT BUT

there are digital Fx units that are also very good. the good ones however cost A LOT.  and in someways, take note, "in some ways,"  they make using expensive analog pedals the cheaper alternative.

and digital FX are good with certain styles of music and are easier to manipulate.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:52:14 PM by analog.matt »

Offline erwinwakadu

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 11:10:35 AM »
may 2 analog pedals po ako pwede po kaya i dugtong un sa multi? 

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 11:19:42 AM »
may 2 analog pedals po ako pwede po kaya i dugtong un sa multi?

definitely

Offline raye

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 07:39:33 PM »
Its a matter of preference yan. I prefer analog coz nahihirapan akong magtimpla ng multi
Philmusic Ibanez BTB club #2

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 08:56:33 PM »
pro's and con's at depende sa needs mo..at budget..

of course iba ang pagkaswabe ng analog..compared sa signal ng mfx... though sa actual tugtugan di naman mapapansin..

have both..

hybrid.. pag nagsawa..pwede magstand alone yung mfx..and mag laro laro ng configurations ng mga analog pedals..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 10:59:58 PM »
i prefer individual analog and digital pedals. more easier for me to use.
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 11:08:02 PM »
right now, Ive got a zoom g3 +zoom expression pedal+  MXR '78 Badass Distortion...  as grab and go...

and another board which is bigger for individual stomps... theres a certain feeling pag individual stomps..baka psychological lang..pero parang mas claro...pero pareho lang at sanayan din pag naka mfx.. :-P
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 12:04:30 PM »
right now, Ive got a zoom g3 +zoom expression pedal+  MXR '78 Badass Distortion...  as grab and go...

and another board which is bigger for individual stomps... theres a certain feeling pag individual stomps..baka psychological lang..pero parang mas claro...pero pareho lang at sanayan din pag naka mfx.. :-P

iba talaga tunog ng individual stomps eh. pero sa bar gig, for sure psychological yan, kasi napakaliit na lang ng discernible marginal difference sa tone (sa bar gig setting lang. huge difference yan sa studio), unless yung multi fx mo nung early 90s pa  :lol:

masaya sa G3 it feels like an individual stomp pedalboard. lahat ng patches ko actually naka-setup parang pedalboard (may blues pedalboard, post rock pedalboard, hard rock pedalboard, new year pedalboard, etc). it really killed my gas for individual stomps (i actually dont own individual stomps yet) kasi wala akong budget  :lol:

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 12:31:54 PM »
iba talaga tunog ng individual stomps eh. pero sa bar gig, for sure psychological yan, kasi napakaliit na lang ng discernible marginal difference sa tone (sa bar gig setting lang. huge difference yan sa studio), unless yung multi fx mo nung early 90s pa  :lol:

masaya sa G3 it feels like an individual stomp pedalboard. lahat ng patches ko actually naka-setup parang pedalboard (may blues pedalboard, post rock pedalboard, hard rock pedalboard, new year pedalboard, etc). it really killed my gas for individual stomps (i actually dont own individual stomps yet) kasi wala akong budget  :lol:

sa mga entry level multieffects like zoom and boss, rinig na rinig sa mga distortion sims nila yung difference. for some reason talaga rinig. except kung maganda ang amp.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 12:45:20 PM »

I have 4 boards all in all..

1 back home..(guitar set up-no mfx)

1 for guitar here thats all individual stomps

and a guitar grab and go..mfx + dirt

and a bass set up ms 50g and some bass individual pedals..

oh and I use a korg bass amp simulator box..pag grab and go for rehearsals...

heavy use yung bass pedalboard since I play bass for different groups nowadays..

yung sa gitara..bahay lang..noodle noodle...minsan nakakasawa nadin..haha at gusto ko na benta lahat...pero in fairness lahat ng collection ko nasa boards..and nagagamit..

naalala ko nung kasagsagan ng GAS 4 years ago..hahaha as in..ang sarap magbasa at manuod ng vids..at bumili..haha yung mga empty spaces sa board..kailangang may ilagay..

good times...good times..

:lol:
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline crizer003

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 01:36:02 PM »
sa individual ako, ang cute kea nag mga kulay nila,
may dark blue, light blue, dark green, light green, yellow, orange, red, white, black, brown, gray. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pag nasa board mo lahat yan ang ganda tingnan, ayoko sa multi kc isa lang kulay non   :eek:
LF > DK2M White or black

TONE IS IN THE FINGERS!! Because my fingers are mahogany made in japan limited edition

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 02:53:53 PM »
sa individual ako, ang cute kea nag mga kulay nila,
may dark blue, light blue, dark green, light green, yellow, orange, red, white, black, brown, gray. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pag nasa board mo lahat yan ang ganda tingnan, ayoko sa multi kc isa lang kulay non   :eek:

yung line 6 diba iba-iba kulay ng led nun?  :lol: o kaya pa-customize mo yung sa G3/G5 iba-iba yung backlight parang nokia tapos may acetate pa  :lol:

Offline crizer003

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 02:58:25 PM »
yung line 6 diba iba-iba kulay ng led nun?  :lol: o kaya pa-customize mo yung sa G3/G5 iba-iba yung backlight parang nokia tapos may acetate pa  :lol:

haha naging christmas tree ung multi  :eek:  :lol: :lol:
LF > DK2M White or black

TONE IS IN THE FINGERS!! Because my fingers are mahogany made in japan limited edition

Offline nochi143

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2015, 04:18:19 AM »
I once had a hybrid pedal board set up.. BOSS ME-70 + Analog pedz. Ako naman, Trip ko lang talagang mag pedal board since high school. I'm a gear addict! like most of us.. lol
and yeah, I can live whether multi effects or individual.. timing lang na may pambili ako sa mga panahon na ito so bumuo ako ng full analog pedals.. coz It's fun, masaya.. Nag eenjoy ako mag set up, enjoy din mag apak apak ng marami.. and bilib din sila sa set up minsan.. kaya it's a plus factor.. BUT, in skills.. kahit anong pedal gamitin maganda.. gaya nga ng sabi nila, sa actual performance hindi mo mapapansin kung "analogy" or "digital" ang tunog.. kung multi or analog ba ang ginamit.. at the end of the day nasa playing skills mo parin yun, AND sa comfort-ability mo to play.. for me, komportable ako sa analog.. masaya mag TAP dance.. haha.. comportable rin ako sa multi effects.. RELAX.. Depende sa'yo yan.. Experience both.. have'm both, try them to see and to know.. PERSONAL PREFERENCE.. alam ko mag sasawa rin ako sa Analog. atleast investment na rin yun. Re-sale price is still good. buy-and-sell pa ang nangyari kumita ka pa.

P.S. sorry napahaba