hulika

Author Topic: True Acoustic Tone  (Read 1160474 times)

Offline Kulas

True Acoustic Tone
« on: March 28, 2006, 04:39:14 PM »
as per sir deltaslim's suggestion in the other thread. let's discuss everything acoustic in this thread. what's a good sounding acoustic for you? what shapes the tones of acoustic guitars eg. body type, wood type, strings, etc. and if anyone can post clips, that would be more than welcome. and what's the best recorded acoustic sound you've heard.

for me, i think i have "decent" acoustic guitars naman at the least. both dreadnoughts. i'll try to post clips of them pag naka-record ako, both acoustic and amplified.

for me the best recorded acoustic sound i've heard would be in john mayer's album, no room for squares.

nicest acoustic i've tried so far was the martin om-21 in tomlee hongkong.

my dream acoustic guitar is a martin om-28v, though i can settle for a blueridge br-263, hehe.

i have a jasmine s80s equipped with l.r. baggs ribbon transducer running through the l.r. baggs para acoustic d.i. and my other acoustic is a 1975 morris w-15.

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 04:53:16 PM »
I'm not experienced enough to really get into a discussion like this, pero magpaparamdam lang ako sa thread ni kulas. Basta acoustic.  :mrgreen:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 05:11:44 PM »
personally, i like acoustics that are made of mahogany with something like a Cedar or Spruce top. The tone sounds nice, deep with a long, warm solid decay with each chord. I really like the Alvarez Kazuo Yairi guitars and those have been my main guitars ever since I got a DY62c and a WY1. I might get a fusion series model down the line to backup my DY62c because it is my favorite guitar and it would suck if that went and I didn't have another that sounded like it. I tried Taylors before going with the Yairi but I never found a Taylor or Martin that I really loved. But lately, I've really liked the sounds of Santa Cruz, Breedlove, and Froggy Bottom Guitars. They sound a lot like my Yairi's and feel very solid in my hands. I have a very percussive right hand from playing solo a lot so a nice solid guitar is nice:)
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 05:34:08 PM »
hehe i don't know much about acoustic guitars too... i'm only using a Yamaha APX-4A acoustic, a far cry from Martins, etc. the best acoustic guitar i've ever tried is a Taylor Presentation series guitar. grabe sa tone, grabe din yung price hehe :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 05:46:40 PM »
Room for Squares lang par kulas :)

yeah i really love that album. John Mayer is a skilled musician all in all.
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline agentx44

• Veteran Member
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 06:08:40 PM »
I'm still searching for that acoustic tone I want. I'm looking for that 70's folk-rocky tone reminiscent of James Taylor, Jim Croce and Don McLean. The kinda tone that puts you in the middle of a forest at the crack of dawn, when the air is so fresh it's almost like dewdrops at the back of your mouth.

I'd like to own a nice Martin D-28 and an OM model with the slotted peghead, oh yeah, and a D'Aquisto Teardrop guitar.
soylent green is people.

Offline Kulas

True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 06:14:58 PM »
ako i like the spruce-rosewood combo in acoustics. i like a bright, punchy acoustic tone without sacrificing bass response. i also like the tone of the smaller bodied guitars kasi mas tight yung tunog nya. ironic nga kasi puro dreads guitars ko eh, hehe.

Offline agentx44

• Veteran Member
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 06:27:52 PM »
Ako naman mas preferred ko yung maganda ang bass response over yung brilliance nya Medyo delicate nga lang yung balance na hanap ko (still haven't found it)
soylent green is people.

Offline 16track

• Netizen Level
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 06:29:53 PM »
Nice topic!

Since I'm old school, I have always loved the guitars done in the 60's and 70's when the piezo was still not employed and where old time engineers tried all they can get the most natural timbre of the guitar. Don't get me wrong, I love piezos as well as they do have clear advantages and I have an Ibanez AW100CE--which I enjoy using live or just by my lonesome self... but ...for the subject now...

Off the bat, I'd always look back and take a moment to listen to Paul Mcartney's solo guitar { I believe it was a D28 ??} recording of Blackbird-- accompanied only by a metronome or that old Epiphone acoustic he used for "Yesterday" --both for live and the record. Another one is Duane Allman and Eric Clapton playing duet slides on "Mean Old World".

Regards!
Child of the Blues!

Offline Kulas

True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 06:30:53 PM »
anyone here used brass bridgepins na? how are they? i'm looking to buy some.

Offline 16track

• Netizen Level
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 06:41:03 PM »
I have opted to change my standard issue Ibanez pins to the D'Andrea brass bridge pins-- a gift from one of my friends who frequent the Lazer shops. So far, I can only detect a slight increase in brightness-- but only slightly.

Other than that, the brass pins look real nice-- which was why I opted to use them.
Regards! :D

Quote from: kulas
anyone here used brass bridgepins na? how are they? i'm looking to buy some.
Child of the Blues!

Offline Kulas

True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 06:50:18 PM »
yeah nga eh, and sakto din sha sa gold tuners nung jasmine ko, hehe.

ok what other upgrades would you recommend? i've already had my saddle and nut made from bone, and i might go get the brass pins.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 06:50:37 PM »
interesting... do you think that "slight" increase in brightness with the use of brass pins be helpful enough to a cheap dreadnought size acoustic?
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline Kulas

True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 07:01:52 PM »
Quote from: Al_Librero
interesting... do you think that "slight" increase in brightness with the use of brass pins be helpful enough to a cheap dreadnought size acoustic?

well, i guess it should. correct me guys if i'm wrong, pero i think sa acoustic naman, kahit anong gawin mo sa kanya may slight effect eh. well, unless siguro strap pin lang yung nilagay mo, hehe. pero diba madaming factors contribute to the acoustic tone, like top wood, solid vs. laminate tops, back/sides wood, neck joint, bridge wood, bridge pegs, nuts and saddles, strings, bracing, etc. all of these things have their own effect to the overall tone of the acoustic. tama ba? sirs? ma'ams? hehe

Offline 16track

• Netizen Level
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 07:04:42 PM »
Good Question!

I honestly can not say as I was able to A-B only my own guitar on a looong sunday with really nothing to do. I took the old pins out and then put the new ones in. Played it for a while to check the differences and then re-installed the old ones back-- did the same listening phase-- then put in the new ones again. In the end of that process, I decided on using the brass ones --more for aesthetics.

interesting... do you think that "slight" increase in brightness can help a cheap dreadnought size acoustic?
Child of the Blues!

Offline 16track

• Netizen Level
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 07:07:42 PM »
I have heard about the qualities of bone nuts and saddles. May I ask where you got yours? I really would like to try them out. Are they expensive?

Thanks!  :D

yeah nga eh, and sakto din sha sa gold tuners nung jasmine ko, hehe.

ok what other upgrades would you recommend? i've already had my saddle and nut made from bone, and i might go get the brass pins.
Child of the Blues!

Offline Kulas

True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 07:12:02 PM »
arie makes bone nuts and saddles. ask him for the price nalang. not really expensive. ayoko lang magsabi ng price, hehe. ask him nalang. he'll custom fit the saddles and nuts. compensated saddles pa usually ang ginagawa nya. although i never really observed the changes in tone. pero all i know is, mas maganda, hehehe.

Offline 16track

• Netizen Level
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 07:23:29 PM »
Can we add "AGE" to that list?     :D

Personally, I have always preferred Martin Silk and Steel strings. A bit on the mellow side with a softer feel. My AW100CE came with Elixirs which were excellent but I can't seem to find stores that carry carry the brand.

What strings do you use for your Jasmine?

well, i guess it should. correct me guys if i'm wrong, pero i think sa acoustic naman, kahit anong gawin mo sa kanya may slight effect eh. well, unless siguro strap pin lang yung nilagay mo, hehe. pero diba madaming factors contribute to the acoustic tone, like top wood, solid vs. laminate tops, back/sides wood, neck joint, bridge wood, bridge pegs, nuts and saddles, strings, bracing, etc. all of these things have their own effect to the overall tone of the acoustic. tama ba? sirs? ma'ams? hehe
Child of the Blues!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 08:12:08 PM »
you're quick, kulas! nice thread. :-)

ang hinahanap kong ultimate acoustic tone narinig ko sa movie na Crossroads w/ Ralph Macchio (altho I prefer Britney over Karate Kid).   i'm referring to the guitar parts na hindi slide. grabe - ang linaw at lutong nung guitar. parang piano na nga e!  if you can grab a copy of the video pakinggan hanapin nyo yun (and then burn me a copy! ;-) )

i don't know the brand/model of the guitar they (arlen roth?) used but i've never heard in person an acoustic guitar sound like that. but i have not heard all the high end models except a taylor, martin, and a sta cruz so, i'm prollly just ignorant. :-)

Offline greenweenie

• Philmusicus Addictus
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 09:05:14 PM »
A Maton 12-string's tone is so good for me. :)

Offline Kulas

True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 10:23:40 PM »
Quote from: 16track
Can we add "AGE" to that list?     :D

Personally, I have always preferred Martin Silk and Steel strings. A bit on the mellow side with a softer feel. My AW100CE came with Elixirs which were excellent but I can't seem to find stores that carry carry the brand.

What strings do you use for your Jasmine?

ah yes... age. that's if your acoustic is solid topped or all solid wood. malaking bagay yung age and pag-open ng wood. ang ganda ng tunog ng talagang well-broken in na acoustic.

strings? since i'm a cheapskate. i use fernando lights. hehehe 99 pesos a set! sulit na sulit! hehe

Offline Kulas

True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 11:05:15 PM »
Quote from: deltaslim
you're quick, kulas! nice thread. :-)

ang hinahanap kong ultimate acoustic tone narinig ko sa movie na Crossroads w/ Ralph Macchio (altho I prefer Britney over Karate Kid).   i'm referring to the guitar parts na hindi slide. grabe - ang linaw at lutong nung guitar. parang piano na nga e!  if you can grab a copy of the video pakinggan hanapin nyo yun (and then burn me a copy! ;-) )

i don't know the brand/model of the guitar they (arlen roth?) used but i've never heard in person an acoustic guitar sound like that. but i have not heard all the high end models except a taylor, martin, and a sta cruz so, i'm prollly just ignorant. :-)

ey, i'm downloading a copy of crossroads... i'll burn you a copy when this finishes... ok lang trade for the fralins? hehehe joke!

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 11:10:34 PM »
pa copy naman pre o 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Kulas

True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 11:13:43 PM »
diba you're not in the philippines? hehe. how can i be able to give you one? 7 hours till the download finishes. excited na ako manood, hehe. it's around 700+mb lang. divx, dvd rip.

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 11:16:53 PM »
eto ang thread :D