hulika

Author Topic: Stereo Rig  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Jmarlwin

Stereo Rig
« on: October 05, 2017, 10:35:23 AM »
Hi guys. Need your expert opinion. I'm planning on using two amps. My last pedal in the chain is strymon big sky. I've already read a lot about possible ground loops and phasing issues. I'm more concerned with ground loops coz the FOH can probably address phasing issues. Is it okay to just plug stereo out of big sky without isolating the 2nd amp? I know our power is anyway not grounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Stereo Rig
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:07:25 AM »
I run these two Orange Micro Terror stacks out of the stereo outs of one of my Zoom MS70CDRs and from experience, mostly tahimik naman meron lang talagang venues na makaka-experience ka ng ground loops. I mic each side with Shure SM57s and I ask our FOH guy to pan them far left and far right to get that stereo spread.

In terms of phasing issues, I'm using two of the same type of amp so siguradong in phase sila. Pero if you're gonna use different amps you may need a splitter that can flip them 180 degrees.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 09:10:58 AM by Skybox »
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Jmarlwin

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 10:16:18 AM »
Nice setup bro. Actually plan ko is wet-dry-wet.  I have 2 amps for the wet signal coming out big sky. Im planning on getting a splitter to get dry out to my pod hd desktop. U know of someplace where i can get a splitter with phase switch?

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:28:53 PM »
Nice setup bro. Actually plan ko is wet-dry-wet.  I have 2 amps for the wet signal coming out big sky. Im planning on getting a splitter to get dry out to my pod hd desktop. U know of someplace where i can get a splitter with phase switch?

Eto na bro. Look no forther. Around 7k i believe sa JB music.

https://orangeamps.com/amp-detonator/
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Jmarlwin

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 01:04:23 PM »
Eto na bro. Look no forther. Around 7k i believe sa JB music.

https://orangeamps.com/amp-detonator/
Thanks sa.suggestion.bro. I might use it to.split my signal after dirt section for my wet-dry-wet rig.

Offline Jmarlwin

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »
Thanks sa.suggestion.bro. I might use it to.split my signal after dirt section for my wet-dry-wet rig.

by the way, did you experience ground loop hum with your stereo rig? I guess you're less likely to experience phase issues cause you're using identical amps

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 02:53:53 PM »
by the way, did you experience ground loop hum with your stereo rig? I guess you're less likely to experience phase issues cause you're using identical amps

Yup, I experienced it several times. But fortunately for me, it doesnt happen at the venue we frequently play at. Yes, no phase issues since they are identical. What amps are you gonna run stereo for your wet signal?

EDIT: BTW, ground loop hum is a lot worse than lets say 60-cycle hum from single coil pickups. It is so bad that you just cant play through it.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Jmarlwin

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 03:59:08 PM »
Fender pro and a peavey amp for stereo wet. U know of any locally available stereo interface that has phase and ground switch?

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 02:12:04 PM »
Good luck getting a proper stereo mix in small PH venues.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 02:46:11 PM »
Good luck getting a proper stereo mix in small PH venues.

I agree. Only the vocals are in the PA haha.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Jmarlwin

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 02:50:45 PM »
Oh. In the church, everything is sent to FOH. we even use electric drums para din mas madali pgmix. Plus we have a good mixer (i.e. Behringer x32). Im both curious and hesitant with stereo rig

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »
Fender pro and a peavey amp for stereo wet. U know of any locally available stereo interface that has phase and ground switch?

To be honest bro, though a stereo wet/dry/wet is really awesome, in the PH setting you will be better off just doing wet/dry. I would split my guitar signal using an Orange Amp Detonator or a Radial BigShot. Check out the orange Amp Detonator at JB Music or try to get a pre-loved Bigshot in the Classifieds.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Jmarlwin

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 02:56:05 PM »
Okie. Saang branch mo nkita amp detonator?;)

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 03:51:19 PM »
Okie. Saang branch mo nkita amp detonator?;)

Glorietta bro pero tawag ka muna sa branch near you to check if may stock sila.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Jmarlwin

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 03:51:59 PM »
Ok. Thanks bro

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 05:11:36 PM »
Are ground loops even an issue in the Philippines? Parang hindi naman kumakabit sa ground ang power ng amps. Most of the noise I have heard from any amp so far is due to floating voltages raising the noise floor of otherwise quiet amplifiers. In my experience, mas malala ang issue na ito sa tube amps kaysa solid state, although naka-depende rin kung gaanong karaming gain stages built into the preamp.

BTT: I often play with two amps at home (I don't play live) and, up until we had actual ground connections installed in some of our power outlets, have had no noise issues due to ground loops. After having ground connections installed, amps run in mono are noticeably more quiet than before, but did develop a loud humming sound when run in stereo.

The solution for me was to simply lift the ground of one amp (not recommended, but I had no other option at the time). Now, I'm thinking of building a Mooer-sized ground lift box, so instead of lifting power ground on one amp, I simply lift the audio ground on the cables. YMMV.

Offline Jmarlwin

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 05:18:36 PM »
Are ground loops even an issue in the Philippines? Parang hindi naman kumakabit sa ground ang power ng amps. Most of the noise I have heard from any amp so far is due to floating voltages raising the noise floor of otherwise quiet amplifiers. In my experience, mas malala ang issue na ito sa tube amps kaysa solid state, although naka-depende rin kung gaanong karaming gain stages built into the preamp.

BTT: I often play with two amps at home (I don't play live) and, up until we had actual ground connections installed in some of our power outlets, have had no noise issues due to ground loops. After having ground connections installed, amps run in mono are noticeably more quiet than before, but did develop a loud humming sound when run in stereo.

The solution for me was to simply lift the ground of one amp (not recommended, but I had no other option at the time). Now, I'm thinking of building a Mooer-sized ground lift box, so instead of lifting power ground on one amp, I simply lift the audio ground on the cables. YMMV.

Wow. Thanks bro. That was very informative. Yun nga din duda ko. Since hindi grounded power natin, so walang ground loop? Sorry super noob lng ako sa electrical stuffs. Build ka bro ground lift + phase box. Ako una customer mo.

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 06:08:31 PM »

Wow. Thanks bro. That was very informative. Yun nga din duda ko. Since hindi grounded power natin, so walang ground loop? Sorry super noob lng ako sa electrical stuffs. Build ka bro ground lift + phase box. Ako una customer mo.

Sana lang may access tayo sa 1:1 audio transformers para mas malupit na project ito hahaha

Offline Jmarlwin

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 06:15:12 PM »
Sana lang may access tayo sa 1:1 audio transformers para mas malupit na project ito hahaha
Bro mas malupit kung mkagawa ka patchbay stereo with groundlift and phase switch. And stereo sum switch. Pramis. Kuha ako sau. D ba locally available 1:1 transformer kahit hindi jensen?

Offline Jmarlwin

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »
Bro mas malupit kung mkagawa ka patchbay stereo with groundlift and phase switch. And stereo sum switch. Pramis. Kuha ako sau. D ba locally available 1:1 transformer kahit hindi jensen?

So you agree with me na there's no ground loop coz hindi grounded power natin? Toinkz. Pardon my noobness

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 06:40:22 PM »
So you agree with me na there's no ground loop coz hindi grounded power natin? Toinkz. Pardon my noobness

Medyo mahirap na yung specs mo bro haha, pero may gawa akong patchbay na isolated ang ground ng bawat isang pasukan, plus an option to break the connection for plugging into an amp fx loop.

Yes, Kung may noise man, I don't think it's going to be a ground loop issue.

Offline Jmarlwin

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 06:50:19 PM »
Medyo mahirap na yung specs mo bro haha, pero may gawa akong patchbay na isolated ang ground ng bawat isang pasukan, plus an option to break the connection for plugging into an amp fx loop.

Yes, Kung may noise man, I don't think it's going to be a ground loop issue.

For sale ba patchbay mo? Papic nman if for sale