The Music Forums > Jazz and Blues Cafe

Let's talk about 'sax' ...

(1/5) > >>

Deacon Blues:
For sure, most of you here have stacks and stacks of jazz CDs on your shelves, and there's a good chance that among those in your stockpile are the classics from the sax masters themselves ..

Coltrane, Rollins, Webster, Bird, Brecker, Shorter ...

We've all been blown away by Coltrane's 'sheets of sound' and Ornette Coleman's harmolodic concepts ..

Just curious ...

What are some of your favorite sax solos, and why?

I've heard quite a lot of legendary sax stuff that really smokes, but somehow, I can't help but be moved more by the sheer simplicity of what (to me at least) sets the standard for what a good sax solo should be ...

And the song isn't even a jazz standard ..

The song: Billy Joel's 'Just The Way You Are'

The player: Phil Woods

Chito:
There's really lots. One that comes to mind is Paul Desmond's Take Five. Very innovative group, that Dave Brubeck Quartet.

markthevirtuoso:
I really dig in Brecker and Coltrane's playing. I have to hear from more players though. :D

Deacon Blues:
Great players mentioned guys ...

But lest this turn out to be another 'enumeration thread,' I'd really love to hear your insights as to why you like such artists ..

Is it their 'tone'?

Is it their phrasing?

Is it their melodic/harmonic inventiveness?

Does their playing make you 'feel' a certain way?

I remember a friend way back in college who, while listening to David Sanborn's 'Carly's Song,' remarked, ... "Hayop pare! Yan ang sax! Nakaka-L ... !"  :D

Boddhisattva:
Ditto with Carly's Song. It's the sexiest sax music I ever heard, it's actually my fave among David Sanborn's playing. It's not melodic (try humming it and it would go nowhere) and I tried playing the melody on keyboards and it's impossible (at least to me) to nail the feeling he exudes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version