hulika

Author Topic: Metallica: St. Anger  (Read 7223 times)

Offline Super BisDak

• Philmusicus Addictus
Metallica: St. Anger
« on: April 15, 2005, 09:33:58 AM »

Released: June 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Thrash, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
Number Of Tracks: 11

Track List:
01. Frantic
02. St Anger
03. Some Kind Of Monster
04. Dirty Window
05. Invisible Kid
06. My World
07. Shoot Me Again
08. Sweet Amber
09. Unnamed Feeling
10. Purify
11. All Within My Hands

Obviously, the sound/production on this album is terrible. I really don't need to say much about the sound, it speaks for themselves. I was introduced into Metallica through there Load/Reload albums and I liked some of the songs, I got deeper into "And Justice For All" the "Black Album" and "Ride The Lightening" all which in my opinion are amazing. I have always stuck up for Metallica with being just a pure amazing band and there music amazing. I went out and bought the CD at the cost of $$$ when it came out in my place, and literally cried out because it was horrible. Likewise, one problem I do have is the constant tinny drum noise. Think turning off the bass and top and just leaving the middle eq and that's what the drums sound like, also the backing vocals since the loss of Jason Newsted have went downhill. Not Classic Tallica but not to shabby to be honest.

In terms of lyrics as you can hear in the song, "St. Anger" there is no passion, and it seems like he was just going with words that rhymed with each other. Half the songs didn't even make sense. Classic example: "St. anger round my neck, st. anger never gets respect." What the hell does that mean? James has an amazing voice that ranges from "For Whom The Bell Tolls" all the way to a soft soothing voice in "Nothing Else Matters" and all respect to him, but in this album his singing skills as shown are horrible and nowhere up to what he has done and is compatible of doing.

This album doesn't even hold a candle to a not so good album of "Load" or "Reload." This album has made a different scale of just horrible songs/lyrics. I don't think there is one good song on here, when I listen to them I try to understand the change from pure amazing from "Kill'Em All" to "Black Album" to just horrible "St. Anger." The thing I respect from them is that they had the courage let the world hear this album. The only thing I love is that it shows Metallica is still together dispite the leaving of Jason Newsted and James alcoholic rehab situtation. If this album was stolen I wouldn't get/accept another one of them, the only reason I have it is because I would like to have almost every album. Is it worth buying? In my opinion NO, there is nothing creative about the songs on this album and I would rather listen to Avril Lavigne sing about skater boys. I really hope our boys jump back from this and know that they can do so much better.

Rating: 2/5

Rock on!  :-({|=
dealt: faceless,fraudulentzodiac,verve,egbdf,Saturn/Return,bdc3,dk_ouano,gemboy,studiowan,Slingky,PLESIM,asti21,sidlead66,CIERRAE,ungas123,lippy,cocojam,jolam1431,putchazta_46,dannygatton,lynshumalmsteen,GslashG,atomo,uchihadarwin,mzik_man,Diamond_Don&etc

Offline baby_poly

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 01:07:10 AM »
*agrees*

It is not so Metallica. Jason must return  [-o< *prays*, and they must kick that Tarantula they got from Ozzy I think.
I'm living on the edge of a broken dream.

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 10:05:07 AM »
I have the highest respect to james/lars/kirk...and the new guy that plays bass for them....but im not sure what got into their heads for creating such an album....THIS IS NOT METALLICA THAT I'VE GROWN LISTENING TO...

:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
black moon creeping...

Offline thortured

• Veteran Member
metallica
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 07:40:58 PM »
i think METALLICA is one of the few bands who really explored the real rock"n roll world... i salute that album and until now i cant stop headbanging!!!

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 06:47:37 AM »
I remember all the hype behind this album, & unfortunately it doesn't live up to it. The Metallica that we once knew is dead.  I've only heard 3 songs so far but it's enough to make me say "meh".

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 11:18:39 AM »
the evil reign of bob rock has ended. Hopefully something good will happen on this 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 01:39:25 AM »
Quote from: pallas
the evil reign of bob rock has ended. Hopefully something good will happen on this 8)

Yeah, hopefully Rick Rubin would give these guys a good hard kick in the nuts & help them make an album that's at par, if not close enough, to the old albums they've done.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 10:18:57 AM »
All hail Rick Rubin :twisted:
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 02:10:37 PM »
i absolutely agree that St. Anger is a subpar Metallica album to say the least. their sense of melody has become non-existent. it seems that they were trying to sound nu metal whereas they aren't. and whare are the guitar solos????
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline waybine

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 03:42:17 PM »
I'm very disappointed with this album. Parang hindi Metallica, tunog Sacred Reich. Just my opinion, no offense meant.  :D
WayneQB
deadly in black

Offline Mechanical Dance

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 02:07:54 PM »
I have a question, if it weren't Metallica who made this album, would most people still review it so negatively?

My personal opinion says it's still a subpar album.

Offline The D

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 10:11:36 AM »
Its subpar compared to old Metallica Albums.

Offline Markujo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 09:51:14 PM »
In short the album sucks! i tryd listening to it again n again, cus maybe later pag na digest ko na i myt lyk it.... it still sucks. shame(sigh)
It goes on and on and on....its heaven and hell!!

Offline Markujo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 09:51:15 PM »
In short the album sucks! i tryd listening to it again n again, cus maybe later pag na digest ko na i myt lyk it.... it still sucks. shame(sigh)
It goes on and on and on....its heaven and hell!!

Offline trem3

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 03:24:56 AM »
agree ako sa lahat ng sinabi nyo pero eto lang masasabi ko...

basta Metallica ang gumawa, ok na sa akin yun because as a fan all I have to do is to love their work of art... kahit na walang solo guitars, kahit na tunog lata ang drums at kahit na hindi na ganoon kaganda ang boses ni Hetfield... as long it's Metallica, Nothing Else Matters... all I got to do is to support and keep supporting them

Metallica Rules!
Click Here

Offline cean

Re: Metallica: St. Anger
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 10:17:27 PM »
parang nagpilit sila sumabay sa new skul, pero sa totoo lng mas trip ko bassist nila si rob. mas magaling yun di hamak kay jason, pero yung album tunog lata nga pero kung iisipin mo kunwari maganda yung recording? same arrangement ng mga kanta pwede na yung iba, opinion ko lng lahat to, may kanya kanya pa rin tayo
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 10:21:17 PM by cean »
Shut Up You Stink!

Offline waybine

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 07:59:20 AM »
It made me angry talaga ....  :-D
WayneQB
deadly in black

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 09:24:35 PM »
the good thing is Metallica is still Metallica. Kahit napasok sa rehab si james buo pa rin sila. As band leader... Lars did great kahit umalis si Jason di sya nawalan ng pagasa at di nya pinabayaan ma disband yung banda nila.

Magaling naman si robert pero iba pa rin talaga si Jason. Maybe Jason wants to explore more on his musicality kaya he joined Supernova lead by  Tomy Lee.

Kahit san anggulo mo tignan mas maalala mo parin si Jason as part of Metallica.

re: the album... when you listen to it and old albums nila especially "And Justice for All" and "Kill em All" parang ganun pa rin naman ang tunog nila :)

Kahit ilang beses pa mapalitan ang bassist nila... Im Still a Metallica Fan\

PEACE!!
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline panterica

• Board Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 11:08:52 AM »
metallica rules the world!

i'm a big fan of metallica, obviously, hahahaha. kahit medyo di ko trip yung mga kanta sa st. anger, ok lang, as long as they're metallica, i'd definitely buy their crappiest album, anyway, mganda naman yung some kind of monster at frantic eh.

malapit na sila magrelease ng bagong album, kaso di na si bob rock ang producer, some guy related to slayer ata. pero si bob rock malaki din ang nagawa sa metallica, nung pumasok sya, lumabas ang black album, you guys know what i mean.
I know you would say that at for the record di mo ako kilala ROOKIEBOY. Tinawag kitang rookie at di lahat, IKAW LANG GET IT. Hanggang dyan ka na lang....puro cheap shots - Pallas

"Good artists copy, great artists steal"

Offline freejam

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 10:24:01 AM »
         astig pa rin naman kaso parang mas ok p rin si jason, although magaling naman din talaga si robert (infectious groove / ozzy) siguro konting adjustment pa pra mka blend sya ng maayos sa metallica style of music.

Offline nuno

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 05:09:27 AM »
I have a question, if it weren't Metallica who made this album, would most people still review it so negatively?

My personal opinion says it's still a subpar album.

to my opinion, no. kasi kung ang benchmark mo is the "old" metallica. definitely you'll be frustrated with the album.

but given the chance na may lumabas na "rookie" band at sila ang nag cover ng album bka matanggap pa ng ibang tao.

Offline James_Animagi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 01:13:27 AM »
somehow st. anger had its own identity dahil di rin naman ok kung lagi na lang routine ng metallica is another black album or reload or load because st. anger is also produced by bob rock he's work is getting boring thats why im excited to hear the new materials from metallica that are produced by rick rubin...regarding robert trujillo he will never replace jason newsted or cliff burton for me he is just a session player...sana pinili na lang ng metallica si mike inez ng alice in chains

Offline mariachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 02:53:43 PM »
big metallica fan here as in BIG!!! buo ko lahat ng songs nila from kill 'em all to black album and konting songs from load.  :-D

but to my dismay, ST ANGER is really not the old metallica that we all love  :-( sayang lang pera ko d2 though yung sakin kasi may dvd ng rehearsals nila prior to the recording of the songs. kung wala yun baka tinapon ko na yung cd ko  :x
That in all things, God may be glorified!

Offline tseemoi

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 03:34:27 AM »
compared sa music nila date, parang mas mabilis ang tugtugan nila ngayon.. cant comment bout rob trujillo kasi magaling naman din talaga sya.. :)

metallica parin ako!!
ano ba ang epekto kung meron kang depekto?

Offline Kin

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 07:58:35 AM »
metallica rules the world!

i'm a big fan of metallica, obviously, hahahaha. kahit medyo di ko trip yung mga kanta sa st. anger, ok lang, as long as they're metallica, i'd definitely buy their crappiest album, anyway, mganda naman yung some kind of monster at frantic eh.

malapit na sila magrelease ng bagong album, kaso di na si bob rock ang producer, some guy related to slayer ata. pero si bob rock malaki din ang nagawa sa metallica, nung pumasok sya, lumabas ang black album, you guys know what i mean.

I think si Rick Rubin (the long hair, bearded guy) ang producer nila for the next album. Who also worked with Red Hot Chili Peppers, Slayer, Beatie Boys, etc.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002035228
Carpe Diem