hulika

Author Topic: Journalist Needs Help 2 write About P-rock 4 New York Times  (Read 2340 times)

Offline JFrancois

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Journalist Needs Help 2 write About P-rock 4 New York Times
« on: December 28, 2004, 10:23:38 AM »
Hi. I’m writing an article for the New York Times magazine about Pinoy bands. I wanna make you guys famous. Americans don’t know that if a person wants to hear rock music over half the globe, they’re gonna hear it played by a Philippino band!

I’m looking to find a person whose job it is to watch lots of bands and then decide which one he or she likes best. (How do they decide?) So if anyone knows of a big talent agency, or the name of a big talent agent, that would be great. I’d love their phone number or email address or both. Another idea would be if there’s a contest for cover bands sometime in January or early February. That would be amazing.

Finally, I could really use some help finding the phone numbers of talent agencies like CALEA, PARADA, and PEEPA.. (Please tell me if I’m right, but it seems like they are big ones who choose lots of bands and then send them to other countries, right?) I cannot find them anywhere online!

If anyone can help me with this stuff, I will shower you with booze and food and thanks when  get to Manila in 3-4 weeks!! I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
John Bowe (johnbowe@aol.com)

Offline isda

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Lead to the underground music scene in Manila...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 05:15:52 AM »
Most of the present bands started as underground bands just like the states. The person to check out is Nella Sarabia. She owns the Sarabia Optical at the University of the Philippines Shopping Center.  She is the outlet for the underground starving rockers of the Metro Manila area.  Just like the states, the college bands usually set the trend. Don't know her phone number, but I ma sure you can check her out when you are back in the Pinas.

Hendrix lives!!!
"unleash the kraken"

Offline versionfour

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 07:11:45 AM »
here's an info for a gig that's gonna happen tomorrow... maybe this would help... i hope it's not too late...  :D

"All We Need is Love: Pinoy Rock Valentine in Maryland"
February 12, 2005 Saturday 7pm to 2am
Frazier's On The Avenue
Hampden, Baltimore MD

NOTICE: 10mins max changeover between bands

NIKWREN-- 7:30pm to 7:50pm
ANGIE PEPA-- 8:00pm to 8:30pm
VERSIONFOUR-- 8:40pm to 9:10
INU-- 9:20pm to 9:50pm
RUBBERBAND-- 10:00pm to 10:45
THE THIRD ELEMENT-- 10:55pm to 11:40
BLEUD-- 11:50 pm to 12:20midnight
CUTTERPILLOWS-- 12:30am to 1:00am
NEROJOC-- 1:10am to 1:40am

Emcee: PASCKIE PASCUA
Sound: Marco Galsim
Producers: Pasckie Pascua (raindance60@hotmail.com, for The Traveling Bonfires), & Gino Inocentes (for Walrus Productions)
Production Associate/Concert Coordinator: Marta Osborne

Conceived in the Philippine countrysides, wandered around New York City, settled in Asheville, North Carolina... The Traveling Bonfires roam the country, instigating arts events and bringing people together.
www.versionfour.com (c'mon come to papa, and hear papa sing!)

Offline bassman16

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 12:28:58 PM »
This website is the best source for info on indie bands here in the Philippines. Sorry for the late reply. lol. I just registered today, you see. Hope this helps anyway.

http://www.indiecultureonline.com[/url]