hulika

Author Topic: P-90 question!  (Read 1801 times)

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
P-90 question!
« on: May 01, 2007, 01:49:29 PM »
I love the sound and feel of p-90 soapbar pickups

Do you guys know any humbucker sized p90 pickups?

Has anyone tried the SPH90-1 phat cat by seymour duncan?

Offline gjuanengo

• Veteran Member
Re: P-90 question!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 04:34:38 PM »
Try the dimarzio line of p90's

great stuff
Get Wylde.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 05:16:13 PM »

marami-rami na rin humbucker-sized P-90's aside from Duncan: Harmonic Design Z-90's (the best I've heard so far), Lollar's, GFS, Gibson P-94, etc. And it seems like most boutique pickup makers have come out with their own versions.

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 12:26:19 AM »

marami-rami na rin humbucker-sized P-90's aside from Duncan: Harmonic Design Z-90's (the best I've heard so far), Lollar's, GFS, Gibson P-94, etc. And it seems like most boutique pickup makers have come out with their own versions.

sir Vegetable man sir! so what do you think is best?? I really value clean tone more than anything so i would want a p90 sound that is warm, thick and p90'y haha

you think the harmonic design z-90's would be a better pick than the SD phat cat??

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 01:51:14 AM »
bareknuckle pickups makes HB sized humbuckers. I have their P90 Mississippi Queen HB in my Gibson SG and I really like it. Tim from BK recommended it for a vintage vibe.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 02:13:46 AM »
bareknuckle pickups makes HB sized humbuckers. I have their P90 Mississippi Queen HB in my Gibson SG and I really like it. Tim from BK recommended it for a vintage vibe.

yea i was actually thinking of checking out and researching if BK had a p90 humbucker sized pup.
So you think its the holy grail of p90's??
is it worth the cost??

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 05:33:29 AM »
i wouldn't say that it is the holy grail of pickups but it works really well with my vintage SG. There might be better choices out there but I have heard a lot of good things about the BKs enough to get them without trying them out. Besides, BKs are hard to come by through retail vendors since they are not sold in the states very much. Through a cranked tube head, the BKs really sing so if you like a slightly overdriven guitar sound that spits with just enough grit and warmth but cuts well through the mix with a vintage sound, I would recommend you check 'em out.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 06:58:02 AM »
@balta,

i've only heard the HD Z-90's in deltaslim's 335, and I love the tone it puts out. Too bad that he's selling it as I may never hear it again.... groan...

Lots of good feedback about BK's. I wish I could hear a set.

I heard Lollar's in 2 different guitars, and they seemed to sound better in the older guitar, which was Mel Po's, now farseer's Melody Maker.

maybe deltaslim can chime in with more info.... there was a thread on P-90's last year in which blue buddha shared a lot of great info, but with the search function being the way it is, it's gonna be tough to look for it.

@abyss,

do your BK's do the Mississippi Queen sound well? If so, WOW! How much for a pair?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 07:13:17 AM by vegetablejoe »

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 07:15:12 AM »
@balta,

i've only heard the HD Z-90's in deltaslim's 335, and I love the tone it puts out. Too bad that he's selling it as I may never hear it again.... groan...

Lots of good feedback about BK's. I wish I could hear a set.

I heard Lollar's in 2 different guitars, and they seemed to sound better in the older guitar, which was Mel Po's, now farseer's Melody Maker.

maybe deltaslim can chime in with more info.... there was a thread on P-90's last year in which blue buddha shared a lot of great info, but with the search function being the way it is, it's gonna be tough to look for it.

+1 lang sa sinabi ni vjoe...

if you can't find BB's post re P90, i suggest you look for his P90 shootout report at the Les Paul Forum.  i think his forum handle there is "chocolate buddah", or somesuch...

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 12:50:48 PM »
alrighty! better go and manually search for it, too bad the search function is busted. argh....

So sir delta what are you comments on the harmonic designed p90 humbuckers??

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 01:10:04 PM »
alrighty! better go and manually search for it, too bad the search function is busted. argh....

So sir delta what are you comments on the harmonic designed p90 humbuckers??

it's not as gnarly as vintage P90s or the Lollar's but they're perfect for a more controlled P90 sound.  not peaky in any frequency, nicely balanced.  can growl, snarl, and roar pa rin like any P90 but can do a whole lot of other things too -- clean strum, plucking, full but detailed chords - never muddy.  single notes are punchy but not too middy.  the bridge is full and phat, not trebly or thin.  neck is not overly warm or muddy, has tight bass and lots of detail pa rin.

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 01:11:25 AM »
hmmm...

darn, contacted harmonic design and they just told me that the z-90's will haev stock sa june pa..

I was thinking of getting the Gibson p-94t's instead.

What do you guys think?? anyone here have experience with them??