hulika

Author Topic: THE GRAVITY CLUB - Followers of John Mayer  (Read 347554 times)

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: THE GRAVITY CLUB - Followers of John Mayer
« Reply #250 on: April 02, 2008, 07:44:06 PM »
MIJ.. hehehe.. for relic project.. pero di naman 'SRV' relic.. i'll age it lang para magpantay sa neck..

thanks bud!!

saw my tele ad?

not yet..un ba ung nasa avatar mo? the sunburst squire na may turquiose pickguard.? sweet. chek ko sa classifieds...

Guys, Filipino pala yung guitarista ni JM dati. Yung panahon ng kasikatan niya sa pop.

http://fil-amusic.com/view/58/mandy-moore-and-john-mayers-guitarist-is-fil-am/

Sabi ko na eh. Kala ko Asian lang. Hehe!

yea..noypi i remember reading something bout that. hahahahha thanks for reminding me sir lawrence

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #251 on: April 04, 2008, 02:13:30 AM »
well. well. well.. look what i found...

"John straps on Billy Franzes guitar"

and he's holding a what......?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 02:19:10 AM by the_Nong »

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #252 on: April 04, 2008, 06:20:36 AM »
 :-D nice find

Offline markitut

« Reply #253 on: April 04, 2008, 10:49:54 AM »
sir, ano ba gamit na effects ni John Mayer ngayong electric guitar na gamit nia?
meron ba kau mga gear pics nia?

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #254 on: April 04, 2008, 02:06:23 PM »
sir, ano ba gamit na effects ni John Mayer ngayong electric guitar na gamit nia?

http://johnmayer.yuku.com/topic/1369/t/UPDATED-JOHN-S-GEAR-LIST-FROM-JOHN-HIMSELF.html

hahahhahah at last nahanap ko na!!!!!!!!!

Offline lawrence

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #256 on: April 04, 2008, 06:14:48 PM »
feature=related

i love his rendition of lenny:)

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #257 on: April 04, 2008, 10:47:26 PM »

here: enjoy!

here's a list, but ung iba ala sa pics..
Voodoo Labs Pedal Power
T-Rex Replica
Maxon AD-900
Electro Harmonix Micro Synthesizer
Roger Linn Adrenalinn II
Electro Harmonix Poly Octave Generator
Boss DD-5
Dunlop DC Brick

Center Board:
John's BYOC Tremolo
Pete Cornish Delay
Dunlop DC Brick
Keeley Ibanez AD-9
Way Huge Aqua Puss
Keeley Katana
(I think) Three Switcher Pedals (including a Leslie Switcher)

Off to the right:
Boss TU-2 Tuner (x3)
Switcher Pedal
Some large-honking Expression-like pedal

konti pa, baka malapit ko na mahabol effex niya. except for the chromatic tuner and the mxr brick..
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 12:44:04 AM by the_Nong »

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #258 on: April 05, 2008, 12:28:19 AM »
here is another..

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #259 on: April 05, 2008, 02:04:11 AM »
lemme just re-post:

Hey (gear) guys and gals -

I thought it might be fun to post a little something regarding gear, specifically that endless hunt for our guitar tone. It’s as much of an obsession for me as it is for some of you, and I want to share a little of what I’ve learned over the past few years. I read through some of the posts in this part of the forum, and I can’t get over how much of a positive spin you’ve put on the guitar community. It’s has a tendency to be jaded, and I love to see that you’re getting happiness and fulfillment out of it and not frustration.

There are some misconceptions that seem to constantly perpetuate, and I want to try and bust one of them up right now. Oh, and it should be noted throughout that this all applies to my take on tone. If you like heavy metal, you’ll probably disagree with everything I have to say.

Distortion pedals – One thing to keep in mind with distortion – I should say overdrive pedals, so as to distinguish them from fuzz pedals, which is more of an effect unto itself - is that they’re really made to simulate overdriving an amp naturally. Vintage tube amps have a threshold where they break up past a certain volume. A distortion pedal is used to make that ‘break up sound’ happen at lower volumes, which is a reasonable expectation. You can’t turn a ‘65 Deluxe Reverb to ‘8’ in your bedroom without making a lot of people miserable. Stevie Ray Vaughan used an Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS-808) , which in the 1980s was regarded as kind of a cheap pedal. Here’s the misconception; he didn’t really use that much distortion at all. He did when he was going for that Jimi sound, but listen to most any early SRV tune and you won’t hear as much break-up as you might think. I hear people all the time (I even remember hearing myself) who just dime the ‘drive knob’ and think the ‘volume’ is a master knob for it. It’s a concept known as “gain staging” - it has to do with the way that the volume of each part of your signal chain interacts with the next. The ‘volume’ knob of an 808 is the most important. That’s by definition, the overdrive part of it. The “overdrive” should be thought of as the “cheat” knob. Remember this – kicking on distortion should make your guitar louder, not quieter. Quiet sounding loud is just strange. Setting gain staging will make sure that when you kick the pedal on, your guitar signal will get appropriately louder. Again – Stevie Ray used so much less distortion than you can possibly imagine. He was loud, and the way it hit the tape (and your ear) made that sound. I use a vintage 808, which has some properties that I like, but it is by no means the holy grail of tone. It has it’s place, though. Everything does. Just remember that turning that “cheat” knob too high also cheats you of the natural tonal characteristics of your guitar. Do work that volume knob, though.
So what if you don’t have the 600 bucks for an 808? Don’t even worry about it. There are so many pedals designed to emulate it, it’s not even funny. Purists want the original 808 because of some fairly esoteric microchip differences. The Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive is somewhat close, (and dirt cheap!) but it can also have a really harsh high end. (What’s in a name, right?) I think the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 is a FANTASTIC update on the 808. The Keeley-modded TS-808 reissue is very close to an 808. These pedals are what I call “paint chip” close. If you didn’t have an original 808 to A/B with, you wouldn’t know what you were missing. If you’re looking for a good “edgey” tone, check out the Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal from the early ‘90s. Not the BB-2 (bad), but the original. It’s a great beefy sound that colors strat pickups in a really interesting way. The tone knob is like a “B.B.” dial. If you feel like your guitar just won’t cut it in the mix with your band, but you don’t necessarily want more overdrive, check out the Fulltone Fat-Boost, or the Keeley Katana. Kick it on for a solo, and it’s like having your own personal mixing engineer ride your fader. I use a Keeley-modded Boss BD-2 pedal as well. It’s got it’s own thing going on, and I like it. So many pedals are cool, and most every one has a place for something. It’s fun to listen to a pedal and then play to it’s strengths.
Oh, here’s another misconception: True bypass is all-around better than buffered (regular) bypass. Not so. Think of your guitar cable as a hose, and your guitar only pushes a certain amount of water pressure out of it. After a certain length, you’re going to need some more pressure to squeeze the water out. True-bypass takes the “in” and “out” cables of a pedal and connects them as if they were one long hose. After a certain length, you’ll get some pretty hefty tone loss. I learned this when I unplugged my guitar from my pedal switcher and went straight into the amp. Guitar pedals without the TB serve as a buffer for the signal, and naturally keep that water flow going. Yes, sometimes the trade-off can be harsh; some pedals, while buffering your signal, can also adversely color it, even when in bypass mode. That’s a good time to think TB. True bypass is a concept that only really took off as a selling point over the last 5 years or so. It won’t kill you to have it, but it certainly isn’t the only reason to get a pedal over another one without it.

I Hope that helps you out a little bit. There are so many other things I want to share with you, where to put your money, where to save it... Maybe I’ll get to it all over time. I can’t think of anything more exciting than tone hunting, and I hope you can’t either.

PLAY ON

JM

http://johnmayer.yuku.com/topic/1860/t/Message-from-John-regarding-gear-01-27-05.html

Offline theow

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #260 on: April 05, 2008, 02:12:03 AM »
thanks for posting this man!!
\"I use it to give Him back the favor He gave me\"

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #261 on: April 05, 2008, 02:19:25 AM »
sure! no problem.. anything yo help!

Background information:
Birth name - John Clayton Mayer
Born - October 16, 1977: Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA
Origin - Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Genre(s):    
Blues-rock
Pop rock
Soul rock
Blue-eyed soul

Occupation(s):
Guitarist
Singer-songwriter
Columnist
Instrument(s):
Guitar
Vocals
Keyboards

Label(s):
Aware
Columbia
Sony BMG

Associated acts  - John Mayer Trio, LoFi Masters
Website - www.johnmayer.com

Notable instrument(s):
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OM-28JM
Martin OMJM
Gibson Les Paul Junior Double-Cutaway

http://www.facebook.com/johnmayer
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 02:22:37 AM by the_Nong »

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #262 on: April 05, 2008, 02:28:45 AM »
mga club-members, if you have a facebook account, join in!!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12936541684

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #263 on: April 05, 2008, 02:45:43 AM »
does he use a compressor kaya?

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #264 on: April 05, 2008, 02:51:15 AM »
does he use a compressor kaya?

i don't think he does..

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #265 on: April 05, 2008, 03:44:32 AM »
ok I'm one of those research it yourself persons and turns out, he uses a Keeley comp. I don't see it on his board though and there's simply a mention in Keeley's website among the players who use KEeley comp and there you'll see John Mayer... hmmmm sa recording perhaps?

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #266 on: April 05, 2008, 03:51:27 AM »
here's a nice read

John Mayer took a very hands-on approach to the development of his Martin signature model, a modified OM-28 with a low-profile neck with a nut width of 1 11/16 inches and 2 1/8-inch spacing between the first and sixth strings at the saddle that feels comfortable to a player raised on electrics, and a Martin Gold+ Natural I undersaddle pickup. In addition to long phone conversations with Martin Guitars' [sausage] Boak, Mayer mocked up the look he wanted (including Macintosh Titanium—inspired aluminum inlay on the bridge and peghead) by editing a photo of an OM-28 he downloaded from the Martin website, and then he headed to Nazareth, Pennsylvania, to see it all come together at the factory. "Isn't it a boyhood dream to have a guitar named after you?" Mayer says. "You'd better be there to watch it happen. The worst thing in the world would be for somebody to hand you a guitar that's got your name on it and it's not the one you want to play or look at."

Mayer begs to differ with those who say all that matters about a guitar is how it sounds. "I believe that guitar players and creators, we're all too scared of sounding superficial, but the bottom line is that when something looks good, it brings things out of you. And so I'd say half of the guitar's qualities are sonic or physical and the other half are cosmetic. All those things factor into the level of inspiration when you pick something up."

Onstage, Mayer runs his Martin through a tuner and an Avalon U5 DI/preamp (www.avalondesign.com) and then straight to the PA with no effects. Mayer raves about the sound of the U5, which he calls a huge improvement over basic direct boxes and well worth the investment.

On the electric side, Mayer pays homage to his original guitar hero and cranks up a Stevie Ray Vaughan model Fender Stratocaster. He's been obsessing over amps lately, playing through hard-to-find Dumbles as well as Victoria's replicas of old Fender tweed amps (www.victoriaamp.com). In concert a MIDI-based Bradshaw switching system controls his delay, distortion, and tremolo pedals, keeping them out of line until they are actually switched on.

"This year has been all about learning the subtle sonics of things—the way that a top wood can change a guitar, the way a three-piece back will change a guitar," Mayer says. "I even learned how you can get a different sound out of an electric guitar by switching the direction of the cable, which I would never have bought into. Jack Joseph Puig takes me out into the control room and says, ‘Listen to this: play, unplug, switch this . . .' And they are totally different! So I've become a bit more of an audiophile."

—Jeffrey Pepper Rodgers

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #267 on: April 05, 2008, 03:55:46 AM »
I know you can find this online but hey, it's nice to have the info in one thread hehe

ACOUSTICS:

Martin OM-28JM John Mayer Signature - (x3, numbers 4, 48, and 83)

Martin D-41 (x2)

Martin J-40

Avalon U5 Direct Box

ELECTRICS:

Fender John Mayer Signature Stratocaster
- Sunburst Prototype (JM0001)
- Shoreline Gold w/Red Racing Stripe Prototype (Custom Shop)
- Charcoal Frost Metallic w/Grey Racing Stripe Prototype (Dennis Galuszka Masterbuilt)

Fender Stevie Ray Vaughan Signature Strat

C.W. Fleming Masterbuilt Fender Strat/Tele hybrid

Fender Crashocaster - Painted by CRASH (Maple Neck)

Fender Masterbuilt (John Mayer, Mike Eldred, John Cruz) Reliced Stratocaster (Black and white)

AMPS

Two Rock Custom Reverb (2x 50w head, 2x 100w head, 1 50w Custom Reverb Signature Head)

Fender Vibro-King (w/Cowboy Leather)

EFFECTS

Custom Audio Electronics RS-10 Midi Foot Controller with Expander Module

Roger Linn Adrenalinn I - BTMB Effect Box

Korg G4 - Leslie Rotary Speaker Simulator

Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner - Tuner

Boss DD-5 Digital Delay - Delay Pedal

Fulltone Full-Drive - Overdrive/Boost Pedal

Vintage Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer - Overdrive/Boost Pedal

Robert Keeley Effects
- Ibanez TS-808 Reissue w/True Bypass
- Ibanez TS-9
- Boss BD-2
- Keeley Compressor

Line6 DL4 - Delay Modeler

Ernie Ball Jr. Volume Pedal

Teese Real McCoy Wah

STRINGS

D'Addario EXP16 (acoustic)

D'Addario XL115 (electric)

VOCAL

Neumann KMS 105

Avalon V737SP

ACCESSORIES:

Dunlop Tortex Picks

Fender Guitar Strap

Kyser Quick Change Capo

Ultimate Genesis 100 - Guitar Stand

Older Gear:

ACOUSTICS

Martin OM-28V

Martin HD-35

Martin DM3MD

Martin 000-28EC

Martin OM-42

ELECTRICS

Fender Stevie Ray Vaughan #1 Replica Stratocaster (1 of 100 made)

Fender Jimi Hendrix Monterey Pop Festival Custom Shop Replica Strat

Fender 1956 Closet Classic Maple Strat (Black, given to David Ryan Harris)

Fender 1962 Custom Shop Hardtail Rosewood Strat (Lake Placid Blue, given to Buddy Guy)

Fender 1960s Custom Shop Burgundy Mist

Fender Buddy Guy Polka Dot Strat

Crook Custom Guitars Brad Paisley Model Stratocaster (Black and White)

Novax Expression

Fender 1959 Rosewood Strat

Novax XR

Paul Reed Smith Hollowbody - Gold

Gibson Flying V with Fender headstock/neck

Tokai Strat Copy

Rick Turner Model 1

Vinetto Telecaster Replicas - Blue w/Tortoise pickguard, Sunburst w/White pickguard

Benedetto Benny

AMPS

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Settings: Treble 6, Bass 9, Mid 4, Reverb 5, Presence 6
Bright setting off

Fender Blues Jr.

Victoria 45-410 Bassman Clone

Victoria Reverberato Head

Fender Super Reverb Blackface Reissue

Dumble Overdrive Special (x2, both stay at home)

SMF 15 - Watter

EFFECTS

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Fulltone Super-Trem - Tremolo Pedal

Electro Harmonix Memory Man - Delay Pedal

Moogerfooger MF-104 Analog Delay - Delay Pedal

T-Rex CompNova - Compression Pedal

Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere - Leslie Rotary Speaker Simulator

Marshall BB-2 Bluesbreaker - Overdrive

Menatone Ms. Foxy Brown - Overdrive

Crybaby Q-Zone - Stationary Wah

Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive - Overdrive

Ibanez TS9DX Tubescreamer - Overdrive

STRINGS

Ernie Ball Power Slinky (electric)

VOCAL

Shure SM86

Shure Beta 87C

Shure Beta 87A

Shure Beta 58A

Offline slaphappy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #269 on: April 05, 2008, 04:43:55 AM »

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #270 on: April 05, 2008, 08:09:58 AM »

i saw this last night. gusto ko din ipost pero naunahan ako! hahahhaah

The_nong:
nice job bro. . ngayon ko lng nakita talaga ang gear niya. hahhaha
the strat looks magestic!

did you guys know he can do magic??

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #271 on: April 05, 2008, 08:17:25 AM »
http://www.usmagazine.com/perez_hilton_john_mayer_definitely_bi

guys share ko lang to. ewan ko what reaction nyo. i have no comment on this whatsoever. i don't think this is true but if he's bi or gay i don't care. i'm just thankful he makes good music.

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #272 on: April 05, 2008, 10:22:15 AM »
naku si Perez Hilton pa..whatever, what we're following is his music, right?

Offline michaelthedreamer

• Netizen Level
« Reply #273 on: April 05, 2008, 12:06:50 PM »
john mayer is truly a genius.. i mean, pag nrinig nyo xa magsalita kht ibang topic besides music.. he makes a lot of sense and not only does he have a smart humor he also has a way of using everyday people and things to relate to other issues. and it's fun seeing him pulling out hilarious jokes while keeping a straight face, dba.. his music is on its way to lining up with the legends like clapton, BB, hendrix, etc. sbay sbay tau abangan ntin yan.. im gona bet.. he's gonna be someone who's as credible as clapton. magbilang tau ng taon.

im a super fan, i guess, all songs, released or unreleased. music or other stuff. it's ok for JM to be as opinionated as he is bcoz he talks with sense. let's play blues, people.. let's jam mayer tracks! covered in rain is the [gooey brown stuff]! you just cant ignore daughters, and comfortable is down right honest! gravity gives me chills everytime i watch him live in youtube. damn!
stop this train

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #274 on: April 05, 2008, 12:16:19 PM »
http://www.usmagazine.com/perez_hilton_john_mayer_definitely_bi

guys share ko lang to. ewan ko what reaction nyo. i have no comment on this whatsoever. i don't think this is true but if he's bi or gay i don't care. i'm just thankful he makes good music.

Sir Nong i don't know. Kasi over the years of listening to him and watching his dvds and reading his blogs, i've gotten to know him in a more personal level so it was kinda surprising. But yes... in the end it's the music that really counts.

:-D