hulika

Author Topic: True Acoustic Tone  (Read 1170718 times)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #475 on: October 02, 2007, 07:48:22 AM »

sir max, cguro if you have the patience, it would pay off to visit the luthier, sabi nga "patience are in the hospital"...di po ba doc farseer! :-D

:lol:
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #476 on: October 02, 2007, 05:50:49 PM »
weired na hindi marunong mag gitara yun luthier (hindi ko to alam when we started the project, masama mag assume :-D)... i was very patient w/ him, nadoble nga yun time table na sinabi niya... i was also clear in giving instructions... ayaw pa nga gumamit ng spruce for bracing, pinilit ko pa.... in the end i sold it for 35% of what i paid for... crude yun pagkakagawa :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #477 on: October 02, 2007, 06:03:17 PM »
weired na hindi marunong mag gitara yun luthier

can u make something if you don't know how it works in the first place?  :?

Offline nicosci

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #478 on: October 02, 2007, 06:07:13 PM »
I definitely like small acoustic guitars because they're comfortable and sexy. Im talking about the OOO size. Im not sure if theres any difference w/ OM's I just got my first OOO guitar. You probably know this one.
Let USA invadeThe Philippines

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #479 on: October 02, 2007, 06:42:25 PM »
can u make something if you don't know how it works in the first place?  :?

si leo fender di rin ata marunong mag gitara... but if i had known that he doesnt know how to play- hindi ako papagawa... :oops:

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #480 on: October 02, 2007, 07:09:29 PM »
I definitely like small acoustic guitars because they're comfortable and sexy. Im talking about the OOO size. Im not sure if theres any difference w/ OM's I just got my first OOO guitar. You probably know this one.

old versions of om and 000 have different scale length and nut width... (om vs 000, 25.4 vs 24.9 and 1 and 3/4 vs 1 and 11/16 :-) an exception is the john mayer om guitar w.c has has 1 11/16 nut width :-)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #481 on: October 02, 2007, 11:58:05 PM »
i love the neck on those Clapton and Mayer guitars but I could never get myself to get one because I actually prefer the sound of guitars with bigger bodies.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #482 on: October 03, 2007, 12:10:51 AM »
Interesting story.  While I fully support Pinoy luthiers, kung 3+ times mo kailangan paulit yung pinapagawa mo, eh hindi "patience lang" ang tawag dun.  May problema na ang luthier niyan.  Bakit nageexperiment ang luthier?  Kaya ka nga pumupunta sa kanya para sabihin niya kung ano ang kailangan mo based on his expertise. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 09:29:11 AM by PRSMan »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #483 on: October 03, 2007, 03:33:07 AM »
Interesting story.  While I fully support Pinoy luthiers, kung 3+ times month kailangan paulit yung pinapagawa month, eh hindi "patience lang" ang tawag dun.  May problema na ang luthier niyan.  Bakit nageexperiment ang luthier?  Kaya ka nga pumupunta sa kanya para sabihin niya kung ano ang kailangan mo based on his expertise. 

I agree and, actually, that is part of the reason why I am hesitant to get a guitar made by a hometown boy that is still in the process of experimenting to find their "sound." The reason I am paying money for a custom luthier is because I know the man (or woman) knows their guitar work and has confidence in their craftsmanship.

I am having something done by luthier Andrew White but not before doing a lot of research of my own and actually meeting him to discuss guitars and try out some of his current work.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #484 on: October 03, 2007, 02:37:12 PM »

I am having something done by luthier Andrew White but not before doing a lot of research of my own and actually meeting him to discuss guitars and try out some of his current work.

better safe than sorry.  :-D

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #485 on: October 03, 2007, 03:33:27 PM »
better safe than sorry.  :-D
definitely. i hate plunking down money for anything without having tried it personally and put it through its paces. I can't say i've ever bought a piece of gear on faith alone so this was something I had to do just to be on the safe side. Andrew is great and he even shipped back (to his shop) a guitar from Ohio that had the same wood choices I wanted in my guitar just so I could try the thing out. Amazing work.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #486 on: October 03, 2007, 03:45:31 PM »
definitely. i hate plunking down money for anything without having tried it personally and put it through its paces. I can't say i've ever bought a piece of gear on faith alone so this was something I had to do just to be on the safe side. Andrew is great and he even shipped back (to his shop) a guitar from Ohio that had the same wood choices I wanted in my guitar just so I could try the thing out. Amazing work.

when will the piece be finished?  i'm guessing it's a jumbo.  :-)  is it at par with the Guilds and Martins?  :-)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #487 on: October 03, 2007, 04:59:37 PM »
when will the piece be finished?  i'm guessing it's a jumbo.  :-)  is it at par with the Guilds and Martins?  :-)

prolly sometime in November. It'll sound mellow since I chose cedar and mahogany. You can get a good sense of what an Andrew White F4 sounds like on this clip of Andy McKee - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mYm4FhGauA. The F4 was the largest body Andrew offered so I got that. It is a bit smaller than the largest Guild and it sounds mellower, I think. I really love the sound of my all-mahogany Alvarez Yairi and I wanted something with the same tone only a bit brighter. I figured that the cedar top would do the trick. Moreover, I am fingerpicker so I needed something that could be as equally friendly to fingerpicking, picking and hybrid picking styles.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #488 on: October 03, 2007, 05:12:12 PM »
prolly sometime in November. It'll sound mellow since I chose cedar and mahogany. You can get a good sense of what an Andrew White F4 sounds like on this clip of Andy McKee - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mYm4FhGauA. The F4 was the largest body Andrew offered so I got that. It is a bit smaller than the largest Guild and it sounds mellower, I think. I really love the sound of my all-mahogany Alvarez Yairi and I wanted something with the same tone only a bit brighter. I figured that the cedar top would do the trick. Moreover, I am fingerpicker so I needed something that could be as equally friendly to fingerpicking, picking and hybrid picking styles.

cedar + mahogany = warm and punchy tone.  did i get it right?  :-D

if u wanted more brightness, why not try a spruce top?  :-)

all my knowledge about guitar woods came from this thread..hehehe!  :lol:

we play the same style actually..fingerpicking and picking hybrids.  i have andy mckee's mp3s and vids.  onehelluva guitarist..VERY percussive.  :-D

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #489 on: October 03, 2007, 06:10:29 PM »

i fell in love w/ a lowden O12, lapit diyan yun specs... a bit bigger maybe... hope everything turns out fine...  mahal ba pacustom sa kanya

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #490 on: October 04, 2007, 02:50:50 AM »
cedar + mahogany = warm and punchy tone.  did i get it right?  :-D

if u wanted more brightness, why not try a spruce top?  :-)

all my knowledge about guitar woods came from this thread..hehehe!  :lol:

the guitar i played sounded warm and punchy to me but remember that what sounds one way to one player may end up sounding quite different to another. I've played a few taylor's with rosewood and spruce wood and they didn't have as much of a mellow tone as I wanted so I knew wanted something mellower, bassier and not as bright (i guess). I played a red cedar+mahogany guitar that andrew had on hand so I based my choice around that to keep a firm idea of what my final guitar would sound like. i thought the cedar and mahogany had a good combination going and I really liked how it worked with the songs I played on it. There was one thing that I noticed with Andrew's guitars - the volume was amazing for an unplugged instrument and having talked to Andy McKee about his Andrew White jumbo - I was told to expect this. I dunno how Andrew designs his guitars or what he does to make them sound the way they do but I was sold on his workmanship and product.

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #491 on: October 04, 2007, 10:50:42 PM »
read your pm.. his starting price is relatively ok for a custom guitar... wala ka nagustuhan among the off the rack guitars you tested... lalo na pag 2nd hand, it will be cheaper... you can get two pa nga for the moolah your gonna spend... kahit collings  or goodall wala ka nagustuhan :-)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #492 on: October 05, 2007, 01:35:30 AM »
read your pm.. his starting price is relatively ok for a custom guitar... wala ka nagustuhan among the off the rack guitars you tested... lalo na pag 2nd hand, it will be cheaper... you can get two pa nga for the moolah your gonna spend... kahit collings  or goodall wala ka nagustuhan :-)

yeah. i would have loved to try out more collings and goodall guitars but the stores only had one or two to try of the goodall and one collings. even then, they weren't the larger bodied ones that I was kinda looking for...i know they have some boutique type acoustic stores in the east coast somewhere but going to those would require driving out of my way just to try a guitar. i am not too jazzed up about driving 300+ miles just to try out a guitar:( with the cost of gas nowadays, i'd rather use the money towards the guitar!

Offline GGBR

« Reply #493 on: October 05, 2007, 11:01:21 AM »
I would like to add another strap button sana.
Who among you all have tried to screw one more button?
Does anybody know where is the best location to install it?

Thanks.

:-)

Many makers today install on the underside (facing down towards one's lap) of the heel (the part of the neck that joins the guitar body side, looks like a woman's shoe heel ergo...heel). Bore a pilot hole a bit smaller than the strap screw 1/2" away from the body and 1-1/2" away from the lower edge (binding) of the fingerboard.

Make sure that you drill tanget to the spot where you will puncture the 'heel'.

Offline GGBR

« Reply #494 on: October 05, 2007, 11:07:18 AM »
dagdag ko lang igan, baka lang na miss nyo 'tong info...yes, gauge 11's are quite rare. ang madalas na meron nyan is or are audiophile stores.  they carry GHS strings and normally they have gauge 11's.

unfortunately, eto mga nakaraang buwan ang hirap din makakuha. try mo lang baka meron na sila.

I have a few sets of unbranded and also John Pearce of 0.11 (Extra Lights). I can sell you a set or two. Note though that the composition of the individual strings amongst various makers/brands may vary in guage. These differences in using varied guage combinations produce tonal differences for varied purposes of playing & music - fingerpickeing solos, strumming, bluegrass etc.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #495 on: October 05, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
Hi guys, commercial break muna.. I'm here in Las Vegas now and I'm gonna look for good acoustic DIs for my HD-28 tomorrow. Which ones can you recommend? I have a $200-250 budget because I'm planning to buy an Anderson Classic (if my budget computations are correct). The L.R. Baggs Para DI sounds good but I want to have a hotlist of DIs to choose from off the bat because I don't want to spend several hours just looking for a DI.

Thanks a lot, guys!
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #496 on: October 05, 2007, 12:04:33 PM »
if you can, I love Demeter tube DIs and have used one for a long time. I used one live and in the studio for years before having a choice in my Fishman Aura which I use just as much these days for acoustic shows. The Demeter works well with acoustic, guitar and bass.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #497 on: October 05, 2007, 08:54:24 PM »
I have a few sets of unbranded and also John Pearce of 0.11 (Extra Lights). I can sell you a set or two. Note though that the composition of the individual strings amongst various makers/brands may vary in guage. These differences in using varied guage combinations produce tonal differences for varied purposes of playing & music - fingerpickeing solos, strumming, bluegrass etc.

Da return! :lol:

how was ur trip sir GGBR?  :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #498 on: October 05, 2007, 08:58:48 PM »
Hi guys, commercial break muna.. I'm here in Las Vegas now and I'm gonna look for good acoustic DIs for my HD-28 tomorrow. Which ones can you recommend? I have a $200-250 budget because I'm planning to buy an Anderson Classic (if my budget computations are correct). The L.R. Baggs Para DI sounds good but I want to have a hotlist of DIs to choose from off the bat because I don't want to spend several hours just looking for a DI.

Thanks a lot, guys!

sir Pouncake, sir GGBR, Doc and I had a discussion about acoustic DIs in the previous posts.  maybe you would want to check those posts out.  very informative stuff from very knowledgeable individuals.  :-)

in a nutshell, they recommended Mama Bear, LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI, and Fishman Aura.  the most affordable will be the Baggs..but with your budget, i think you should get the Mama Bear.   :-)

this is all based on their posts sir Poundcake..no first hand experience in handling those stuff.   :-D

hope this helped though. :-D

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #499 on: October 05, 2007, 09:12:35 PM »
Thanks thanks :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20