hulika

Author Topic: Another tube amp question  (Read 5644 times)

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
Another tube amp question
« on: April 16, 2007, 05:45:24 AM »
My typical guitar setup runs into a multi-fx (zoom g9.2tt) then mic'd combo SS amp (15 watt peavey) to PA, live po ito pag nasa church. Balak ko po kasing mag tube amp kung applicable po ito sa setup ko (i play from jazz kuno to heavy rock sounds  :-D). Eto po yung mga katanungan..

I play at limited volumes, medyo maliit po kasi yung venue so first question ko po,  di po ba nagbabago ang tone ng tube amps at different volumes, meaning if I need this particular sound I have to crank it loud? (yun po atang clipping yun nung output tubes) and kung galing po siya sa overdriven stage madali po bang makabalik sa clean?

Gaano po katagal ang lifespan ng tubes? mahirap po ba i-maintain? yung pre-amp tubes po ba pinapalitan din?

As i have stated po, limitado lang po ang max volume ko so ano po ang recommended nyong amp for live mic'd setup na mahina-hina?

hingi rin po ng advice kung di ko na po kelangan magpalit ng setup...

Thanks!!!  :-D :-D :-D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Another tube amp question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 06:22:27 AM »
yes ...you have to crank the volume up to reach power tube saturation ...meaning..para magamit ang tubes.

If you insist on getting a tube amp. you can do the following:

ONE ...
buy a volume pedal and put it in the effects loop so as to function as a master volume.
...meaning..you can crank the amp's volume up .....and to tame the overall sound..you can use the volume pedal.  ( I don't really use this setup...others do and have been happy with it)
...example: Morley Alligator Volume pedal ......and  etc.

TWO
..power attenuator..... para syang master volume din..... some attenuators have preset volumes ..... if you use a lot of attenuation..magsuffer yung tone mo..... if you use less....mas okay ang tone mo.

example : Weber, THD Hotplate, etc.

( I use a THD HOtplate)

If you use the tube amp once a week ...... you can get away with every 2 to 3 years...thats when you don't accidentally do weird things with the amp. But to tell you frankly.... change it when it sounds weird..... use your common sense.

you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 01:45:33 PM »
A ok po, siguro sa volume pedal na lang ako  :-) and 2 to 3 yrs lifetime nung tubes medyo matagal nga po yun. Thanks po sir phil  :-)

Offline jgaluno

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 12:06:46 PM »
yes ...you have to crank the volume up to reach power tube saturation ...meaning..para magamit ang tubes.

If you insist on getting a tube amp. you can do the following:

ONE ...
buy a volume pedal and put it in the effects loop so as to function as a master volume.
...meaning..you can crank the amp's volume up .....and to tame the overall sound..you can use the volume pedal.  ( I don't really use this setup...others do and have been happy with it)
...example: Morley Alligator Volume pedal ......and  etc.

TWO
..power attenuator..... para syang master volume din..... some attenuators have preset volumes ..... if you use a lot of attenuation..magsuffer yung tone mo..... if you use less....mas okay ang tone mo.

example : Weber, THD Hotplate, etc.

( I use a THD HOtplate)

If you use the tube amp once a week ...... you can get away with every 2 to 3 years...thats when you don't accidentally do weird things with the amp. But to tell you frankly.... change it when it sounds weird..... use your common sense.

may tanong po ako, pee ba inconcvert yung solid state amp to tube amp.?
Succesful transactions: rixstaine,emoks,gitarakista,lorenzo,jamesplaysguitar,ryantek,kurtseth

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 12:16:12 PM »
may tanong po ako, pee ba inconcvert yung solid state amp to tube amp.?

Pwede kung marunong kaw. Basically huhukayin na lahat ng circuit ng SS amp at papalitan lahat ng tube amp (case na lang ang pakikinabangan)
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline jgaluno

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:23:08 PM »
Pwede kung marunong kaw. Basically huhukayin na lahat ng circuit ng SS amp at papalitan lahat ng tube amp (case na lang ang pakikinabangan)
mahal kasi kung bibili ka ng fender or vox na tube, mas makaktipid kya kung ganun? tanong ko kya kay mang raul?!
Succesful transactions: rixstaine,emoks,gitarakista,lorenzo,jamesplaysguitar,ryantek,kurtseth

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 12:38:56 PM »
mahal kasi kung bibili ka ng fender or vox na tube, mas makaktipid kya kung ganun? tanong ko kya kay mang raul?!

Oo malaki matitipid mo kung ikaw mismo gagawa. Dati, I used to complete 1 tube amp per week. Naka-assemble ako ng JCM800 2204 head in all of 8 thousand pesos. Fender Blackface bassman in all of 10 thousand. A D'Lite Dumble clone combo in around 8 thousand pesos. Pero materials lang yun. Di ko na ma-calculate yung weeks and weeks of labor and yung aking opportunity costs. Kaya hirap na hirap ako gumawa ng tube amp para sa ibang tao e. Naiisip ko kasi I don't get to keep the amp. Nababasa ang aking l*bog.

Sa pagkaka-alam ko ang single-channel, single ended na tube amp ke Mang Raul costs 8 thousand. Mga 8-12watts yun depende sa tube na ilalagay mo.

Mag-abang ka din sa classifieds, minsan may jackpot na lumilitaw.

Offline jgaluno

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 01:11:20 PM »
Oo malaki matitipid mo kung ikaw mismo gagawa. Dati, I used to complete 1 tube amp per week. Naka-assemble ako ng JCM800 2204 head in all of 8 thousand pesos. Fender Blackface bassman in all of 10 thousand. A D'Lite Dumble clone combo in around 8 thousand pesos. Pero materials lang yun. Di ko na ma-calculate yung weeks and weeks of labor and yung aking opportunity costs. Kaya hirap na hirap ako gumawa ng tube amp para sa ibang tao e. Naiisip ko kasi I don't get to keep the amp. Nababasa ang aking l*bog.

Sa pagkaka-alam ko ang single-channel, single ended na tube amp ke Mang Raul costs 8 thousand. Mga 8-12watts yun depende sa tube na ilalagay mo.

Mag-abang ka din sa classifieds, minsan may jackpot na lumilitaw.

sana you can help me sir. a plan ko sana bibili ako ng ss amp tapos convert na lng sa tube, kahit yung box a speaker lang ang magamit. what can you say about that idea sir?

Offline jgaluno

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 01:17:18 PM »
sir BAMF baka matulungan mo po ako?  :? hindi ako marunong gumawa ng tube amp, i anly know a little in electronics po. Help me assemble sir, past time nyo na din po. Hehehe. sana makatulong po kyo. it will take a year to study electronics

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 01:42:05 PM »
As long as you do your homework, put in the time and be propelled with passion, success is guaranteed. There is no shortcut, but there is a fast lane.

All you need to get started, IMHO are on the first page of this thread :

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,101243.0.html

Offline jmreyes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 01:52:01 PM »
jgaluno this is the second "tube amp" thread from 2007 that you resurrected. Ok na yung isa.

If you really want a tube amp, i say go for one of those low watt tube amps.

Fender Champion 600
Epiphone Valve Junior
Vox AC4TV or the AC4TV8 or the AC4TV Mini
Laney Cub 10
Peavey Royal 8
Bugera V5

Any of those should get you started.
LF: Mojo

Offline jgaluno

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 02:07:01 PM »
As long as you do your homework, put in the time and be propelled with passion, success is guaranteed. There is no shortcut, but there is a fast lane.

All you need to get started, IMHO are on the first page of this thread :

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,101243.0.html

nice sharing sir. Can you assist me when im ready to build my own tube amp. I'll try to produce the needed materials. Hope that you'll be a lifetime buddy here.

Offline jgaluno

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 02:15:55 PM »
mr. Reyes, salamat sa suggestion. Are those model still available in the market? how much would it cost?

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 02:59:30 PM »
My typical guitar setup runs into a multi-fx (zoom g9.2tt) then mic'd combo SS amp (15 watt peavey) to PA, live po ito pag nasa church. Balak ko po kasing mag tube amp kung applicable po ito sa setup ko (i play from jazz kuno to heavy rock sounds  :-D). Eto po yung mga katanungan..

I play at limited volumes, medyo maliit po kasi yung venue so first question ko po,  di po ba nagbabago ang tone ng tube amps at different volumes, meaning if I need this particular sound I have to crank it loud? (yun po atang clipping yun nung output tubes) and kung galing po siya sa overdriven stage madali po bang makabalik sa clean?

Gaano po katagal ang lifespan ng tubes? mahirap po ba i-maintain? yung pre-amp tubes po ba pinapalitan din?

As i have stated po, limitado lang po ang max volume ko so ano po ang recommended nyong amp for live mic'd setup na mahina-hina?

hingi rin po ng advice kung di ko na po kelangan magpalit ng setup...

Thanks!!!  :-D :-D :-D

I think that if you only gig at low volumes then your present amp should do.  The whole point of tube amps is them getting loud and sounding great rather than solid state amps sounding loud and bad. 

Tube amps that are not loud generally have limited to NO headroom for clean and they have flabby bass and a lot of honk in the midrange.   They usually are one trick ponies.

If you choose to run your zoom, just be content with your current setup because the zoom just ruins a good sounding tube amp.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
nice sharing sir. Can you assist me when im ready to build my own tube amp. I'll try to produce the needed materials. Hope that you'll be a lifetime buddy here.

Sure. Basta Copyleft (GNU) tayo. You have to promise to teach anyone who asks as well when you get good at it :-D . Oh well. Unenforceable promise anyway lolz.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 10:12:11 PM »
Sure. Basta Copyleft (GNU) tayo. You have to promise to teach anyone who asks as well when you get good at it :-D . Oh well. Unenforceable promise anyway lolz.

have you found out how to do the tube mix knob?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 10:38:27 PM »
have you found out how to do the tube mix knob?

Yes. Both el84 and 6V6's are in the circuit and operating, but their inputs are fed from the two ends of a potentiometer. The middle of the potentiometer is the one that goes to the output of the preamp. Hence if you pull it to one end, it will feed the 6V6 and if you pull it to the other, it will feed the EL84. Put it somewhere in the middle and it will feed both tube sets.

It can be implemented both on push-pull and on single ended. 

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 10:40:42 PM »
Both 6V6 and EL84 tube sets are in push-pull-parallel configuration with each other, but for safety's sake, the impledance of the output transformer should still be pegged as if there is only one tube set (ex. retain the transformer input impedance at 5kohms only).

Offline Jem-Jr.™

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 11:05:44 PM »
@ phil..

sir so may tube saturation na nalalabas dun basta ung master output eh naka crank then hinaan na lang sa volume pedal?.. ang lakas kasi ng tube amp ko hehe.. sinubukan ko icrank haha.. yumayanig flooring ng bahay namin hahaha..
EBMM 2014 JPXIII-7 - Mesa Boogie Mark IVa - Mesa Boogie Rectifier Horizontal Cabinet 2x12 - Dunlop JP95 Wah - Fractal FM3 - EBVP Stereo 25k - Headrush FRFR 108 Stereo

Offline sercor

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 12:40:01 AM »
jgaluno this is the second "tube amp" thread from 2007 that you resurrected. Ok na yung isa.

If you really want a tube amp, i say go for one of those low watt tube amps.

Fender Champion 600
Epiphone Valve Junior
Vox AC4TV or the AC4TV8 or the AC4TV Mini
Laney Cub 10
Peavey Royal 8
Bugera V5

Any of those should get you started.

walang Laney cub10 rito sa cebu eh laney cub8 lang, ok lang po ba yun? may mga pedals kasi ako

Offline jgaluno

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 09:41:27 AM »
thanks sir Laney... Layo ng Cebu